Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Acer reveals 4.8-inch Android smartphone with 1024x480 screen resolution -- Engadget

Its the end of the world when a 5 inch webOS device is rumored, but when dell or acer do it then its the next Jesus phone (engadget drooled over the streak for months before it was released in the states).

Haters gonna hate, but I think HP is going to come up with enough form factors that there will be a choice for everyone. Just look at their PC market and the zillions of options one has when purchasing. Moral of the story is that the sky is not falling and Android and iOS just currently have more fan bois, but i feel the tides a turnin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    Acer reveals 4.8-inch Android smartphone with 1024x480 screen resolution -- Engadget

Its the end of the world when a 5 inch webOS device is rumored, but when dell or acer do it then its the next Jesus phone (engadget drooled over the streak for months before it was released in the states).

Haters gonna hate, but I think HP is going to come up with enough form factors that there will be a choice for everyone. Just look at their PC market and the zillions of options one has when purchasing. Moral of the story is that the sky is not falling and Android and iOS just currently have more fan bois, but i feel the tides a turnin.
    if HP and Palm put enough umph behind it to make it like the envy line I think engadget will finally like it
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

One difference: Whatever enthusiasm there is for a Dell or Acer device comes from general interest sites like Engadget or Gizmodo. The disdian for a 5-inch WebOS phone comes from a WebOS enthusiast site.

No sky is falling because HP can afford to keep WebOS alive in zombie/iPaq Glisten form for as long as they want no matter who doesn't buy it or how many carriers are lukewarm on it. But I personally don't want to be on a smartphone platform that doesn't have a legitimate shot at mass appeal and traction. You miss out on too many cool apps (e.g. Netflix, OnStar, Lutron home automation, etc.) that way.

I don't feel WebOS currently has a shot with what's been publicly revealed, so I jumped ship for Android fulltime. But if HP can show me they're committed to changing that (and it will take more than just a bunch of devices as the lukewarm reaction in Engadget and Gizmodo comments to Acer's lineup has shown)....I'm more than happy to jump back aboard.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Haters gonna hate
    The only hate I see here is webos users hating on tech blogs for giving props were they are due and not praising webos.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    The only hate I see here is webos users hating on tech blogs for giving props were they are due and not praising webos.
    I did not make it clear, but i was not referencing the tech blogs, but more the commentors. I think engadget has been fair to the Pre and you can tell that josh wants to like it. I think even Nilay was coming around the other day. I was referencing the comments over the last couple days on here about a 5 inch webOS device being crazy and the reaction that a 4.8 inch device is getting in the comments on engadget.
    I did not make it clear, but i was not referencing the tech blogs, but more the commentors. I think engadget has been fair to the Pre and you can tell that josh wants to like it. I think even Nilay was coming around the other day. I was referencing the comments over the last couple days on here about a 5 inch webOS device being crazy and the reaction that a 4.8 inch device is getting in the comments on engadget.
    Again, the comments are coming from two different groups of people with different perspectives. What's noteworthy about a dichotomy between their comments?

I mean, is it interesting to you that the writers of Mac Rumors and the writers of, say, CNET might have different opinions on Apple products?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    No sky is falling because HP can afford to keep WebOS alive in zombie/iPaq Glisten form for as long as they want no matter who doesn't buy it or how many carriers are lukewarm on it. But I personally don't want to be on a smartphone platform that doesn't have a legitimate shot at mass appeal and traction. You miss out on too many cool apps (e.g. Netflix, OnStar, Lutron home automation, etc.) that way.
    Palm/HP have stated that they will be concentrating on app development in 2011, meaning HP will be paying developers to get apps on webOS. With HP backing this I am not worried about it at all. HP will make sure the apps people want will be on webOS. Small market share or not.

We can see MS took this strategy with WP7. We are seeing a lot of apps being developed for it because MS is paying these devs to get their apps on WP7. With a smaller market share than even webOS at this point devs are making apps for WP7 that they probably wouldn't have made until the platform matured a bit.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Palm/HP have stated that they will be concentrating on app development in 2011, meaning HP will be paying developers to get apps on webOS. With HP backing this I am not worried about it at all. HP will make sure the apps people want will be on webOS. Small market share or not.

We can see MS took this strategy with WP7. We are seeing a lot of apps being developed for it because MS is paying these devs to get their apps on WP7. With a smaller market share than even webOS at this point devs are making apps for WP7 that they probably wouldn't have made until the platform matured a bit.
    They paid for developers with the dual "Hot Apps" contests too. Didn't seem to change much. Even with a more fleshed-out SDK and money, Microsoft is still missing notable titles and whole categories for Windows Phone 7. Money and PC leverage is not a panacea.
  9.    #9  
    Again, the comments are coming from two different groups of people with different perspectives. What's noteworthy about a dichotomy between their comments?

I mean, is it interesting to you that the writers of Mac Rumors and the writers of, say, CNET might have different opinions on Apple products?
    Whats not noteworthy? CNET is pretty pro apple, apple byte anyone, so i doubt they would differ much in their opinions. In the very least it adds prospective. The general reaction was that Hp were fools for perusing a category that dell failed in (there were numerous problems with streak other than size), but Acer also seem to think there is potential in this form factor.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    They paid for developers with the dual "Hot Apps" contests too. Didn't seem to change much. Even with a more fleshed-out SDK and money, Microsoft is still missing notable titles and whole categories for Windows Phone 7. Money and PC leverage is not a panacea.
    There is a huge difference between giving developers the possibility of money via contests and guaranteeing them money to develop apps. Paying isn't the panacea I agree but if a developer looks at webOS and sees that Netflix, Hulu, and a whole host other companies don't have apps for webOS its not exactly inspiring. That developer is likely to head over to Android, iOS and wp7 only.

Along with some payments HP is going to have to market the ever living cr*p out of webOS, and of course have a couple of form factors to attract the masses.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    There is a huge difference between giving developers the possibility of money via contests and guaranteeing them money to develop apps. Paying isn't the panacea I agree but if a developer looks at webOS and sees that Netflix, Hulu, and a whole host other companies don't have apps for webOS its not exactly inspiring. That developer is likely to head over to Android, iOS and wp7 only.

Along with some payments HP is going to have to market the ever living cr*p out of webOS, and of course have a couple of form factors to attract the masses.
    <---Not a developer

My understanding is that Hp is fine with people developing for android and iOS mainly right now and porting their projects over(Rovio and angry birds ported in like 2 or 3 days i think, EA, gameloft, etc..). Wp7 only has a chance because they are paying for developer support (and xbox)/zune). Its a good 2 years behind.
    Whats not noteworthy? CNET is pretty pro apple, apple byte anyone, so i doubt they would differ much in their opinions. In the very least it adds prospective. The general reaction was that Hp were fools for perusing a category that dell failed in (there were numerous problems with streak other than size), but Acer also seem to think there is potential in this form factor.
    I hate to say it but at this point HP is sort of a fool. I see this because HP has yet proven themselves in the smartphone area, especially with Webos yet. So to me rumor of a 5 inch phone device coming soon, before a device that their audience is seeking to me is kind of dumb to be frank. HP needs to make a device like a a EVO, or Droid with high specs first period. Then if people accept that device, with webos then start to experiment with ideas of totally different form factors. At this point HP is the smartphone space are still considered a laughing stock, with the release of the Pre2 nothing but a spec bump, and carriers refusing to pick up the device its dosent look to good right now. Though I have high hopes, and confidence HP will be fine in the near future, its just at this point their first step forward right now is more of a couple of steps back.
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post

Speaking not as a developer, but as someone who works in online creative for a huge retailer that is doing mobile apps for WP7, iOS, and Android (and I work with the developers actually doing the coding and designers doing the layout for each) - I can say with 100 percent certainty that money was not a factor in our decision to begin development for Microsoft's nascent OS while HP's WebOS (and keep in mind, we use their servers, printers, and some of their laptops) was never considered for a second.

We were never paid. We simply took a look at the landscape and determined that Microsoft was serious about mobile and had a strategy even though they had just killed off Windows Mobile 6.5. We got some early prorotype devices (hence how I was able to spend some time in an elevator with one a few months back) and a LOT of developer support. No such luck from HP, even though they're a preferred vendor. I'm not sure if they even tried pitching us at any point. In any case, we approached Microsoft.

Money and even marketing cannot compensate for a compelling product, and what only Apple and Google seem to realize these days is that the product is not just the phone or even the operating system. It's the entire ecosystem and experience. HP keeps hinting that they want to offer this with their family of "connected devices", but they haven't offered anything tangible to back this up. Not just us...but a lot of companies and developers aren't going to take them seriously until they do. Payola is not going to change that.
    Speaking not as a developer, but as someone who works in online creative for a huge retailer that is doing mobile apps for WP7, iOS, and Android (and I work with the developers actually doing the coding and designers doing the layout for each) - I can say with 100 percent certainty that money was not a factor in our decision to begin development for Microsoft's nascent OS while HP's WebOS (and keep in mind, we use their servers, printers, and some of their laptops) was never considered for a second.

We were never paid. We simply took a look at the landscape and determined that Microsoft was serious about mobile and had a strategy even though they had just killed off Windows Mobile 6.5. We got some early prorotype devices (hence how I was able to spend some time in an elevator with one a few months back) and a LOT of developer support. No such luck from HP, even though they're a preferred vendor. I'm not sure if they even tried pitching us at any point. In any case, we approached Microsoft.

Money and even marketing cannot compensate for a compelling product, and what only Apple and Google seem to realize these days is that the product is not just the phone or even the operating system. It's the entire ecosystem and experience. HP keeps hinting that they want to offer this with their family of "connected devices", but they haven't offered anything tangible to back this up. Not just us...but a lot of companies and developers aren't going to take them seriously until they do. Payola is not going to change that.
    well spoken
    Look how big that thing is though..

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....1290531554.jpg
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts

Like I said, the money isn't the panacea but its one thing, only one thing, HP can do right now to let developers know they are serious about pushing webOS forward. Contests are just too gimmicky and don't really get a message across very well.

HP, or anyone one else who may have acquired Palm for that matter, can be expected to release a new compelling gadget within 4-5 months of acquiring Palm. That doesn't excuse Palm who should have done this already but that's another discussion altogether . In the mean time they need to do something simply to keep word of mouth going. And my point was that paying some developers can't hurt, at this point it can only help, even if only in a small way. I agree with you that until a compelling product comes along all else is little more than keeping webOS in the spotlight. Maybe HP need to realize this b/c they haven't even done a good job of that.

HP need to adopt a strategy similar to Microsoft's - like MS they are late to the game but have a compelling OS. They have simply done a bad job at keeping webOS in the discussion - well "bad" would imply they done something, which they haven't while they develop a compelling device (if its a 5 inch phone they will have failed miserably). Paying developers is only a small part of the solution, but I agree with you, its is not the primary solution and certainly not one to be used long term.

Most of what I am saying obviously assumes HP will at least come out with a new phone that is compelling in early 2011.
    Last edited by solarus; 11/23/2010 at 05:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Look how big that thing is though..

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....1290531554.jpg
    lol yeah I dont think im ready to put a 5 inch flat screen tv up to my ear yet..
    HP keeps hinting that they want to offer this with their family of "connected devices", but they haven't offered anything tangible to back this up. Not just us...but a lot of companies and developers aren't going to take them seriously until they do. Payola is not going to change that.
    One of the very few times that I've agreed with something you posted. Until HP puts money to mouth (and not just paying devs) then they will not be taken seriously by carriers and devs. Releasing multiple devices & paying devs wont win the day. Neither will moving engineers and other staff from one HP division to the Palm Global Unit. That helps but carriers and devs need to know and understand the plan and they need that $250 million advertising budget here in the US. Right now no one outside of HP knows if they want to invest the money it'll take to make webOS successful. We'll see after the launch the first device in the first half of 2011.
    Last edited by playboy; 11/23/2010 at 05:23 PM.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    lol yeah I dont think im ready to put a 5 inch flat screen tv up to my ear yet..
    Ha. Next thing you know manufacturers will be telling us that a 7in tablet next to ear as a phone is the new hot thing.
    Last edited by playboy; 11/23/2010 at 05:28 PM.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Ha. Next thing you know manufacturers will be telling us that a 7in tablet next to ear as a phone isn't the new hot thing.

I know right, it'll come with a metal belt holster, or a optional sling strap to wear around your neck.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast