80 Global Posts
    What do you think this means?

Director - Sprint Retail Sales - Kansas City

Job ID 5398
    Division WW Sales
    Job Location All USA
    Job Category Sales
    Date Posted Aug 3, 2010

The Senior Account Director is the primary liaison and main point-of-contact for assigned account(s). The Senior Account Director leads the development and implementation of account-specific strategies and plans to maximize sales within named account(s), and is responsible for driving revenue growth, product/services implementation and customer satisfaction within named account(s).
    This position is critical to the Sales teamsí collaborative selling efforts and driving continuing, successful customer relationships.
    Essential Duties and Accountabilities
     Drives the implementation of products/services based on the VPĖSales Ė Sprintís direction and customersí business and technology requirements. Assists in the creation of customer proposals and contract negotiations to successful closure; resolving issues with customer and internal groups.
     Responsible for all Sales revenue and bookings targets/quotas as assigned by Sales management.
     Develops and implements actions to up-sell within named account(s) to increase overall business.
     Administers the day-to-day execution, analysis, management, and communication of account activity and sales support.
     Contributes to development of the successful customer relationship; addressing needs and issues through a thorough understanding of customersí business; creates and maintains relationships at, and with, key decision makers and influencers.
     Contributes to the creation, and manages the implementation, of account strategy and plans working closely with Systems Engineering and all other account team members.
     Maintains accurate and current database records of contacts, activities, and sales potential within Salesforce.com.
     Helps articulate account and market insights to executives, Sales management, Marketing and Product Management.
     Serves as a point-of-escalation for issues or problems that the customer encounters during product launch activities.
     Coordinates resources used to support the sales process, e.g.: proposal development and delivery, expert presentations, collateral development, etc.
    Skills and Competency Requirements
     Must be a self-starter with demonstrated ability to take own initiative.
     Demonstrates a willingness to take action on problems or opportunities without encouragement; possesses the desire and willingness to push toward achieving a desired goal or end-state without suggestions or prompting from others.
     Demonstrated ability to achieve or exceed bookings/revenue quota/targets required.
     Demonstrated ability to lead and work collaboratively with cross-functional team members to achieve account goals.
     Possesses strong deductive reasoning skills and is capable of thinking through problems in a systematic and logical manner; can see consequences and implications.
     Confident in own abilities and judgment. Takes responsibility for problems or failings.
     Exceptional listening, written and verbal communication skills.
    Education and/or Experience
     Bachelorís degree in business, marketing or related field required. Masterís degree preferred.
     Minimum of seven (7) years of proven sales experience in the telecommunications industry; especially in wireless communications.
     A thorough understanding of the telecommunications industry; challenges faced by operators and associated opportunities to provide solutions.
     Previous experience with mobile device sales in a carrier direct, indirect or retail sales environment required.
    Travel or Other Requirements
     Extended or non-traditional work hours may sometimes be required.
     Opportunity for domestic travel.
    You realize that's from Aug 3, right?

And what does it mean? It means what it says. They needed (may still need, who knows) a person who would act as a liason between Palm and Sprint.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    The obvious thing that it means is that Sprint aren't done with HP Palm as people have suggested. Just waiting for the 2011 device(s).
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    To me it say's that sprint and palm still have a relationship and Sprint will get the next smartphone after the Pre 2!!
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Bff4l
    Apps:

Turn the Dial Radio Directory (Phones)
    8-bit Miner (TouchPad)
    Turn the Dial Digital Edition (TouchPad)
    Yeah...Sprint is "waiting" on HP and Palm's future devices. Just like they were waiting for the Palm Pre 2 after the Plus made it to market, right?

With the right products, HP can get into agreements with pretty much any carrier, liaison or no. That wasn't a problem last time either.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Yeah...Sprint is "waiting" on HP and Palm's future devices. Just like they were waiting for the Palm Pre 2 after the Plus made it to market, right?

With the right products, HP can get into agreements with pretty much any carrier, liaison or no. That wasn't a problem last time either.

Your such a positive dude!!!
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

Listen, they had a lot of stock that didn't sell well. One cannot blame them for passing on the Pre+...the Pre2 is a slightly different story but I think their support issues were simply too high. They probably are requiring a high quality build device. They are proabably still carrying the Pixi in part due to reduced return rates (as well as heavy stock burdern probably). The slider mechanism and screen design, as well as the power button on the Pre was an engineering failure.

If I were Sprint, I'd probably wait too because I'd be expecting two things (1) a better built device, and (2) exclusive or distinguishing features, i.e. the Epic vs the other samsung galaxies.

Lot's o' probablies in there Anyway, I still wonder who designed the slider for the Pre -/+/2....terribly flawed!
    Last edited by Rkguy; 11/23/2010 at 01:46 AM.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Sprint is waiting for a new Palm phone, and this Palm Phone will not be the Pre 2 and WILL NOT be a slider!

My source is a Sprint Employee who got an email about this device and then divulged this information to me when I asked really really convincingly haha.

He would not give me the name though, basically said sit tight! This new phone is really nice (he doesnt like sliders)
    Quote Originally Posted by fguills75 View Post
    What do you think this means?
    It means Palm is looking to replace their Sprint liaison position.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaikh
    My source is a Sprint Employee who got an email about this device and then divulged this information to me when I asked really really convincingly haha.
    I have a source who is a Sprint Employee who says your source has no idea what he is talking about.
    sprint is getting web OS and I don't need a source to know that.
    ĦṔ-ḶÝōṫ-Ŧḯōη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    It seems to me that they need someone to convince Sprint to carry Palm products again. If Sprint was already planning to carry them, they wouldn't have polled customers about it, nor would they need a hired gun from HP to hard-sell them on the idea.

Also, I have never heard of this position at any other manufacturer. Does Apple have a sales person for AT&T? Does Sammy hire someone specifically to deal with Sprint? The fact that HP has to hire someone for that carrier means that Sprint is more important to HP than HP is to Sprint, and that HP has no official sales relationship with Sprint.
    IMO, something soured the relationship before. Not just a lack of sales. Perhaps it was Palm releasing the Plus (which was an updated Pre) on Verizon in an exclusive. Perhaps it was build quality. Or perhaps Palm listened to too many who said Sprint was a mistake. Who knows?

But bottom line, if HP wanted the Pre 2 on Sprint, it'd get done. Simple as that. Hopefully they repair the relationship.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    It seems to me that they need someone to convince Sprint to carry Palm products again. If Sprint was already planning to carry them, they wouldn't have polled customers about it, nor would they need a hired gun from HP to hard-sell them on the idea.

Also, I have never heard of this position at any other manufacturer. Does Apple have a sales person for AT&T? Does Sammy hire someone specifically to deal with Sprint? The fact that HP has to hire someone for that carrier means that Sprint is more important to HP than HP is to Sprint, and that HP has no official sales relationship with Sprint.
    for the record of course Apple dosent have a sales person for AT&T, because they had a exclusive deal for 4 years. Samsung does have a sales rep between all the carriers. So no this is not unusual for HP to provide a rep between the carriers this is normal practice. No need to put your 2 negative cents in.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    Samsung does have a sales rep between all the carriers. So no this is not unusual for HP to provide a rep between the carriers this is normal practice.
    That is good to know. But this does not seem like business as usual. If it is routine practice, why didn't they have someone in this position in the first place? It suggests that they had a sales relationship with Sprint that they no longer have.

Not sure how much experience you actually have, but such arrangements are not uncommon in vendor relations.

I've worked at places where the vendor will even hire away a staff member to enhace a relationship.
    That is good to know. But this does not seem like business as usual. If it is routine practice, why didn't they have someone in this position in the first place? It suggests that they had a sales relationship with Sprint that they no longer have.
    no it suggests that Palm has/had a job opening. I think you might be reading a lot into it.

I've dealt with a lot of vendors in my past job. They have specific account reps that are assigned only to certain customers. Where I work now, we have specific acct reps or teams of reps that only work on one customer if that customer is big enough. The customer has a rep that recieve ours and manage the relationship. Its pretty common.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    IMO, something soured the relationship before. Not just a lack of sales. Perhaps it was Palm releasing the Plus (which was an updated Pre) on Verizon in an exclusive. Perhaps it was build quality. Or perhaps Palm listened to too many who said Sprint was a mistake. Who knows?

But bottom line, if HP wanted the Pre 2 on Sprint, it'd get done. Simple as that. Hopefully they repair the relationship.
    I'd say when that Sprint publicly commented that the Pre didn't live up to expectations, that was probably a good indicator of how much Sprint valued their relationship with Palm.

One major thing that's changed is that when Sprint and Palm first kicked the Pre off, they were two failing ships that relied on each other to stay afloat. Sprint's heading in a different, more lucrative direction now, and as for Palm...they have a huge failure safety net at HP. The worst that will likely happen is that their stuff is banished to the far corner of the HP online store like the iPaq Glisten.
    in other words the guy who this job got canned !! Or quit . Lol
    ĦṔ-ḶÝōṫ-Ŧḯōη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Hopefully they can repair the relationship. It is fairly common with large vendors and customers for the relationship to go up and down, and change when there is a management change.

A good sales team can repair the relationship. It may take a while, but can be done. Sprint may have soured on Palm, but now it is HP.

Whomever takes the job, they'll have to deal with Sprint's success with the competition (Evo was great for Sprint, and I actually like the BB Torch). HP will have to compete back (make sure their phones are on other carriers, so the die-hard Sprint Palm users have an option to flee).
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast