Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Also, I have never heard of this position at any other manufacturer. Does Apple have a sales person for AT&T? Does Sammy hire someone specifically to deal with Sprint? The fact that HP has to hire someone for that carrier means that Sprint is more important to HP than HP is to Sprint, and that HP has no official sales relationship with Sprint.
    All the big manufacturers have account managers for wireless providers throughout the globe. Those account managers have their own staffs scaled to the size of the provider they're supporting. It's a common practice.
    again can someone explain to me how sprints CFO bashed Palm, maybe Im interpreting it wrong:

Brust said the company learned from the missteps it made last year with the Palm (NASDAQ:PALM) Pre, which came out shortly before the iPhone 3GS. "The Pre didn't work out as well as we hoped," he said. Brust said Sprint didn't have enough Pres to meet demand, which he said will not be an issue with the Evo

Sprint CFO says the worst is over - FierceWireless

to me it has always meant that because there wasent enough pres for the intial launch period (which is usual the first 2 or 3 months), it didnt meet the demand for it. Maybe Im looking at it wrong, if not then this is not a bad statement at all, it states the truth.

heres his statement on june 23rd 2009 regarding the shortage:

Sprint's chief financial officer has made a number of comments on the Palm Pre to investors via a webcast today, reports Reuters. CFO Bob Brust says the company is managing the Pre shortage situation and says new shipments are coming in every week. He also goes on to say that Sprint has seen little impact from the recent iPhone launch.

"We still have a backlog of subscribers but it's not unmanageable and we get shipments every week, [...] We'll be short for a while but we're catching up," said Brust, who sees the phone attracting new customers as well as existing Sprint customers, potentially reducing its subscriber cancellation rate.

Sprint CFO Speaks on Pre Shortages

so can someone shed some light on my interpretation.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    again can someone explain to me how sprints CFO bashed Palm, maybe Im interpreting it wrong:

Brust said the company learned from the missteps it made last year with the Palm (NASDAQ:PALM) Pre, which came out shortly before the iPhone 3GS. "The Pre didn't work out as well as we hoped," he said. Brust said Sprint didn't have enough Pres to meet demand, which he said will not be an issue with the Evo

to me it has always meant that because there wasent enough pres for the intial launch period (which is usual the first 2 or 3 months), it didnt meet the demand for it. Maybe Im looking at it wrong, if not then this is not a bad statement at all, it states the truth.
    He didn't say "we didn't manage demand as well as we'd hoped". He didn't say "The Palm Pre LAUNCH didn't work out as well as we hoped". He specifically said THAT device didn't work out as well as we hoped. It's crystal clear.

Sprint has in the past couple of years had several devices that didn't "work out as well as they'd hoped". They named none of them publicly except for the Pre. In the executive world, that's about as close as you will get to a "diss".
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    He didn't say "we didn't manage demand as well as we'd hoped". He didn't say "The Palm Pre LAUNCH didn't work out as well as we hoped". He specifically said THAT device didn't work out as well as we hoped. It's crystal clear.

Sprint has in the past couple of years had several devices that didn't "work out as well as they'd hoped". They named none of them publicly except for the Pre. In the executive world, that's about as close as you will get to a "diss".
    hmmm I disagree that he was stating a so called executive world diss to the pre. Yes sprint has had dozens of devices that have failed, and has never stated anything publicly about them. Though most of those devices he wasent around for since he just came in 2008. As well as none other device was supposed to be Sprints savior. So to me with all the huge expectations for a single device to rise a company that was shipwrecked for over decade to success. Stating that his first major attempt with a company was nothing more then a short coming due to device inventory to me is hardly a diss. Regardless if you look at it in the "executive world" or not. Especially coming from a man who only dealt with finaces for a GE plastics company, then Kodak, with no experiances in cell phone sales.
    hmmm I disagree that he was stating a so called executive world diss to the pre. Yes sprint has had dozens of devices that have failed, and has never stated anything publicly about them. Though most of those devices he wasent around for since he just came in 2008. As well as none other device was supposed to be Sprints savior. So to me with all the huge expectations for a single device to rise a company that was shipwrecked for over decade to success. Stating that his first major attempt with a company was nothing more then a short coming due to device inventory to me is hardly a diss. Regardless if you look at it in the "executive world" or not. Especially coming from a man who only dealt with finaces for a GE plastics company, then Kodak, with no experiances in cell phone sales.
    Again, how do you figure this was "due to device inventory" when he refers to device, not the launch - which was the only time when inventory was a problem?

The device did not work out as well as they hoped. He doesn't state this publicly because it was a passing thought. He doesn't get so specific because it was a device with huge expectations. You could say the same for the Instinct, but Sprint seems to have nothing but respect for Samsung's products whether they be featurephone, low end Android, or high end Android.
    Again, how do you figure this was "due to device inventory" when he refers to device, not the launch - which was the only time when inventory was a problem?

The device did not work out as well as they hoped. He doesn't state this publicly because it was a passing thought. He doesn't get so specific because it was a device with huge expectations. You could say the same for the Instinct, but Sprint seems to have nothing but respect for Samsung's products whether they be featurephone, low end Android, or high end Android.
    I say inverntory because his statement:

"The Pre didn't work out as well as we hoped," he said. Brust said Sprint didn't have enough Pres to meet demand, which he said will not be an issue with the Evo

its stated by him at the end of that article provided.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...ver/2010-05-18

isnt that what not enough inventory mean, thats being specific to me? Also where do you see in regards to statements, or facts showing they have less respect for Palm as a whole, then Samsung?
    I say inverntory because his statement:

"The Pre didn't work out as well as we hoped," he said. Brust said Sprint didn't have enough Pres to meet demand, which he said will not be an issue with the Evo

isnt that what not enough inventory mean, thats being specific to me? Also where do you see in regards to statements, or facts showing they have less respect for Palm as a whole, then Samsung?
    The first part is a quote. The second is author-added context. I have no idea what the exact words he said to the effect of that context, but I know what his exact quote was. You can read the tea leaves however you like, but if his words aren't enough, consider that Palm has been reduced to entreating users to beg Sprint to carry the Pre 2 on Facebook.

I mean...I'm not sure how much clearer an indication you could receive that their relationship isn't optimal. Meanwhile, Sprint has Samsung customize device after device for them exclusively here in the US. That's a relationship where the two sides are clearly and happily working together to match their portfolios and benefit the other as much as possible. Sprint's passed on the last two Palm devices, and EOLed the first with no replacement.

We're not talking about subtle differences in the relationships between the two manufacturers. This is night and day.
    The first part is a quote. The second is author-added context. I have no idea what the exact words he said to the effect of that context, but I know what his exact quote was. You can read the tea leaves however you like, but if his words aren't enough, consider that Palm has been reduced to entreating users to beg Sprint to carry the Pre 2 on Facebook.

I mean...I'm not sure how much clearer an indication you could receive that their relationship isn't optimal. Meanwhile, Sprint has Samsung customize device after device for them exclusively here in the US. That's a relationship where the two sides are clearly and happily working together to match their portfolios and benefit the other as much as possible. Sprint's passed on the last two Palm devices, and EOLed the first with no replacement.

We're not talking about subtle differences in the relationships between the two manufacturers. This is night and day.

no those quotes are stated from his mouth (from one of the links I provided too,it shows that). Though I agree with you at the end of your statement relationships between manufacturers are night and day. So as samsung is clearly enjoying theirs with sprint right now, Palm did in the past, and another company will do in the future. It comes down to, whos making them money at the present, and right now no Palm is not. To me if i was sprint, I would have passed on to small updates to the same phone too, knowing something better is confermed, and coming on the horizon. To me though does that say their relationship is hurt, not necessarily, it means Sprint is saying get at me when you get those next generation devices. If they do come out with something that is enticing, and would most likely sell, why in the world would sprint not offer it. Especially when they have had a relationship longer then that of a HTC, or Samsung.
    no those quotes are stated from his mouth (from one of the links I provided too,it shows that).
    "Brust said..." is not a quote. A quote has quotation marks.

To me if i was sprint, I would have passed on to small updates to the same phone too, knowing something better is confermed, and coming on the horizon. To me though does that say their relationship is hurt, not necessarily, it means Sprint is saying get at me when you get those next generation devices.
    The thing is, they don't seem to be saying that to anybody else. They just launched a Kyocera smartphone, for God's sake. They requested the Samsung Intercept as some sort of exclusive. They carry the LG Optimus S, but no high end devices. They carry the Motorola iDen Android handset, but no Droid-esque high end devices. They certainly didn't pass on "small updates" to the Samsung Moment when they increased the screen .3 inches, got rid of the AMOLED and called it a Transform.

Not having a "next-generation" device seems to be stopping no one at Sprint but Palm, and the specs of the Palm Pre 2 kinda smoke all of the low end junky smartphones I mentioned. But apparently Sprint sees money in them, but not in the Pre line.

If they do come out with something that is enticing, and would most likely sell, why in the world would sprint not offer it. Especially when they have had a relationship longer then that of a HTC, or Samsung.
    I guess we'll know the answer when HP Palm releases an "enticing" product. It's been awhile....
    "Brust said..." is not a quote. A quote has quotation marks.

The thing is, they don't seem to be saying that to anybody else. They just launched a Kyocera smartphone, for God's sake. They requested the Samsung Intercept as some sort of exclusive. They carry the LG Optimus S, but no high end devices. They carry the Motorola iDen Android handset, but no Droid-esque high end devices. They certainly didn't pass on "small updates" to the Samsung Moment when they increased the screen .3 inches, got rid of the AMOLED and called it a Transform.

Not having a "next-generation" device seems to be stopping no one at Sprint but Palm, and the specs of the Palm Pre 2 kinda smoke all of the low end junky smartphones I mentioned. But apparently Sprint sees money in them, but not in the Pre line.

I guess we'll know the answer when HP Palm releases an "enticing" product. It's been awhile....

Brust said the company learned from the missteps it made last year with the Palm (NASDAQ:PALM) Pre, which came out shortly before the iPhone 3GS. "The Pre didn't work out as well as we hoped," he said. Brust said Sprint didn't have enough Pres to meet demand, which he said will not be an issue with the Evo.

Read more: Sprint CFO says the worst is over - FierceWireless Sprint CFO says the worst is over - FierceWireless
    Subscribe: Wireless News, Wireless Newsletter - FierceWireless

am i missing something here, above is quotes from WHAT HE SAID im confused on what your looking for. If its a fingerprint, a piece of hair, and a foot print im still waiting for the PDA file to be email to me from the CIA. Seriously though, yes lets hope HP releases something hardware wise, to go along with a great OS.
    I don't have the strength or desire for the minutiae, but quotes/non-quotes aside, we're agreed that Sprint's actions have made it clear where Palm's current lineup stands, especially relative to low-end junk from Kyocera, LG, and Samsung.

If Sprint - of all people - can afford to continually turn you down while refreshing the Samsung Moment incessantly, you screwed up. Trying to get people to beg them to change their minds instead of doing the work yourself just makes it more embarrassing.
    I don't have the strength or desire for the minutiae, but quotes/non-quotes aside, we're agreed that Sprint's actions have made it clear where Palm's current lineup stands, especially relative to low-end junk from Kyocera, LG, and Samsung.

If Sprint - of all people - can afford to continually turn you down while refreshing the Samsung Moment incessantly, you screwed up. Trying to get people to beg them to change their minds instead of doing the work yourself just makes it more embarrassing.
    that is the truth, and if I'm HP, in regards to other companys offerings being non attractive in all aspects id be concerned.
    FYI though for sprint customers I had the converstion done by ASHI on here to make my pre minus to a pre plus, and I have to say its well worth it. It will def buy me sometime until the next webos device comes out hopefully for sprint. A quick note to the Verizon verison is the keyboard is a whole lot clickier, really raised up more. The device feels really solid not loose at all. The keyboard slider is alot sturdier, and the no button on the gesture area makes it look really sleek. Performance is a big difference. I OC to 1.2ghz and tested it side by side with a EVO (our tech has at my job) and it is actully a bit faster in basic functions, and the web pages render really fast prob due to the more ram that is available. I would really recommend if you havent already to look into doing so either through someone like ASHI or webosworld.
    this job posting is from August. Old, old news, they were (are?) probably just looking for a new rep. A lot of people were leaving Palm around that time...
    Hey the person will have lots of fun boosting sales of the only webos device not having wifi. Afterall, Sprint is still selling the Pixi.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12