FYI.

Take care,

Jay

HP hints at WebOS devices coming after Christmas

Should kibosh Palm Pre 2 sales
    By Lawrence Latif
    Mon Nov 22 2010, 15:26

Hp hints at webos devices coming after christmas - The Inquirer

SMARTPHONE UNDERACHIEVER HP has given off the strongest hint yet that it is beavering away on a WebOS tablet.

At the firm's Palm Developer Day, it outlined a move to a new development framework that it said will support multiple form factors. The firm all but announced upcoming WebOS devices, saying that it will put the operating system into lots of devices and will ship it on "really interesting new form factors" in 2011.

HP said that with its considerable presence in retailers, it will be pushing WebOS devices very aggressively in 2011 and that Palm products will "play an important part of that shelf space". The shelf space will likely see new Palm devices, as sales of the Palm Pre 2 are disappointing.

Recently HP finally unveiled its near mythical Slate 500 loaded with Microsoft Windows 7. That was greeted with disappointment by many, although comments HP made at the Palm Developer Day suggest that WebOS simply isn't ready for tablet devices at this point.

HP said the Enyo developer framework that should enable developers to program applications for tablets will tip up early in 2011.

It mentioned that same vague timeframe for new Palm devices running WebOS, though one expects either CES or Mobile World Congress to be where HP will unveil devices to help it stay afloat in both smartphone and tablet markets
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Good... I won't have any money left before Christmas since I'm buying so dang many presents. After Christmas is time for me to buy myself a little sumthin-sumthin

Thanks Jay!
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Good... I won't have any money left before Christmas since I'm buying so dang many presents. After Christmas is time for me to buy myself a little sumthin-sumthin

Thanks Jay!
    Well, I guess you could skip buying me a present this year... I'm expecting something very nice next year though!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Well, I guess you could skip buying me a present this year... I'm expecting something very nice next year though!
    Hmm... would you want that, OR... would you like to take a chance and trade it for what's behind the curtain?!!??

http://www.jrjgames.com/main/photos/pb030002.jpg

Hint: It could be a new webOS tablet!! You wouldn't have to wait until after Christmas like the article hints at...
    Curtain!!!!
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...adzonkgoat.jpg

Guess you'll have to wait until after X-mas! (and I get out of buying gifts!!)
    OMG! I won a dbd!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    no presents for you ... creepy cat suit feller
    Do as you wish with him!

OK Sorry Jay!!
    Back on topic and excitement for a PalmPad (which I will be buying when available). But I wasn't expecting to see one until after CES, that's for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    The shelf space will likely see new Palm devices, as sales of the Palm Pre 2 are disappointing.
    That's the first time I heard any mention of Pre 2 sales. Anybody have any numbers?
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    That's the first time I heard any mention of Pre 2 sales. Anybody have any numbers?
    Well, they're not exactly on a lot of store shelves yet. I'd buy one if Sprint had it.
    Yeah, it's hard to determine that sales of something not actually on the market are disappointing. That line seemed unrelated to the rest of the article and somewhat misleading.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    This sounds like 2011 will be a great year, and certainly will put 2010 in the year to forget (except for the HP purchase).

Unless this is all just hype and nothing good comes along - in which case HP will have wasted $1.2B. But I'm betting HP isn't going to do that, and we'll enjoy what comes our way in 2011.
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
    Yeah, it's hard to determine that sales of something not actually on the market are disappointing.
    It's obviously referring to European sales. It's on the market there. The source is also Europe-based. I'm wondering what the European numbers are, to be more specific.
    Last edited by stung; 11/22/2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: european
    Palm-Pads and webOS-printers don’t excite me near as much as the prospect of getting a webOS super-phone. Come on CES 2011!

Thanks Jay!
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    I don't know, a Palm Pad interfacing with my shiny new webOS superphone does for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I don't know, a Palm Pad interfacing with my shiny new webOS superphone does for me.
    the thought of my alarm on my phone going off and syncing with my toaster and coffee maker to have breakfast ready really gets me going!
    I don't get the whole "pad" thing....doesn't really excite me like a super phone would. I'm sure as hell not gonna' wear it on my hip like my Pre!
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    I don't get the whole "pad" thing....doesn't really excite me like a super phone would. I'm sure as hell not gonna' wear it on my hip like my Pre!
    If I didn't have a job where a tablet device would come in really handy, I'd probably feel the same way. But a device like that would be a huge help to me out in the field for work
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    It's obviously referring to European sales. It's on the market there. The source is also Europe-based. I'm wondering what the European numbers are, to be more specific.

It's on one carrier in france, everywhere else it's directly off HPs website - if they have sold 5000 units I'd be amazed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast