1.    #1  
    ZDNET - Between the Lines - Chart: Tablets coming to market

Referenced a chart by Stifel Nicolaus financial analyst Doug Reid showing the tablets about to hit the market. Not much to speak of really, but interesting showing HP's PalmPad scheduled for March 2011 having a 10.1" screen, 16GB SSD, Flash, and costing $500 bones.

Here's the chart...

http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/tablettimet...e_skin;content

Source: Stifel Nicolaus - Company Reports via ZDNET - Between the Lines

With Froyo playing a large part of future webOS and the PalmPad, I guess we'll just have to wait and see how quickly HPalm's R&D can make headway before CES 2011 and finish the PalmPad living up to this March speculation.

Sorli...
    could this be reliable?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by eggroks View Post
    could this be reliable?
    Doubt it...primarily from where it is coming. Financial analysis groups are normally good at pulling together bunches of data, but I suspect they are simply making educated guesses only referencing previous products (HP Slate is probably 10") and what makes since compared to the competition.

Maybe they have soom insider info, but I doubt it and this is simply speculation. Sorli...
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Doubt it...primarily from where it is coming. Financial analysis groups are normally good at pulling together bunches of data, but I suspect they are simply making educated guesses only referencing previous products (HP Slate is probably 10") and what makes since compared to the competition.

Maybe they have soom insider info, but I doubt it and this is simply speculation. Sorli...
    Well, they could be speculating or making guesses, but the chart says "Source: Company reports." AND, they got the info on the HP Slate exactly correct--price, memory, screen size, flash, etc. so it will be cool to see if they are right when the PalmPad does come out. What I don't like is it says March.

Here is HPs specs for the Slate:

HP Slate 500 Tablet PC specifications - HP Small & Medium Business products
    Last edited by Mike5; 11/22/2010 at 06:26 PM.
    The most interesting thing about this chart is that it has th PalmPad beating Playbook to market by 3 months. That's huge, if true.
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
    The most interesting thing about this chart is that it has th PalmPad beating Playbook to market by 3 months. That's huge, if true.
    Yes, but the timing. Apple's last iPad launch was March. It would be better if HP had a launch that does not coincide with anything Apple. They need to stand out and stand alone.
    Hey, nice find regardless! But, I question why the don't have the iPad 2 on there, isn't that kind of a given opposed to the PalmPad?
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I like Tab a lot better than Pad
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Yes, but the timing. Apple's last iPad launch was March. It would be better if HP had a launch that does not coincide with anything Apple. They need to stand out and stand alone.
    Yes that would be good, but who knows when these devices will come out. What surprises me is how accurate some of the details are though most of it is published info like the 9" Playbook coming from RIM.

The only thing going for RIM right now relates to having something people can touch and see work. RIM has gained significant press mindshare displaying their unit at trade shows and otherwise.

Palm certainly has plans for CES 2011 and hopefully a production pipeline to back those innovations in Jan, Feb, Mar, or sooner.

Don't mind waiting, just hate seeing other Half-Baked products step up to the plate sooner the HPalm does. Sorli....
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    The only thing going for RIM right now relates to having something people can touch and see work. RIM has gained significant press mindshare displaying their unit at trade shows and otherwise.
    Why such a huge gap between introduction and final product release? Nine months? Seems to me you would want a shorter time span so the hype is still fresh when the product is released. There will be a perception that it's either an old product that's already been out for a while or that somehow its hardware was inferior and its release was delayed (i.e., Old and Busted vs. The New Hotness).

Even two months after CES for the PalmPad seems like a stretch...
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Why such a huge gap between introduction and final product release? Nine months? Seems to me you would want a shorter time span so the hype is still fresh when the product is released. There will be a perception that it's either an old product that's already been out for a while or that somehow its hardware was inferior and its release was delayed (i.e., Old and Busted vs. The New Hotness).

Even two months after CES for the PalmPad seems like a stretch...
    Yes I also agree...the wait will end up killing HP options to retain customers on the edge looking at iPad or Android Tablets (pick you flavor of the month)...

Many of us like what Samsung and some other high-end Android tablet makers are doing, but so far they aren't webOS and I simply expect better. The cheaper manufacturers are destroying the Android Tablet vision and I'm just hopeful HP stays away from anything less then perfect. Sorli...
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    The table seems speculative; Plus, I wouldn't want a webOS tablet with only 16gb of SSD. Give me 32 gigabytes at least, though I'm hoping for 64gb or 128gb.
    I will not be waiting till march for a new release. My Pre will probably be in bits and pieces by then.
    analysts aren't reliable for these things. They sometimes take data straight from these forums for there reports. I wouldn't rely on anything they say more than anything someone posts here as a rumor.

http://www.precentral.net/analyst-claims-palm-pre-return-rates-are-high-were-not-so-sure
    Last edited by windzilla; 11/24/2010 at 11:55 PM.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    I will not be waiting till march for a new release. My Pre will probably be in bits and pieces by then.
    I don't think you'll have to wait that long. I suspect Palm will have Pre 2 (at least) on everyone's network at CES 2011 and newer devices (phones) by the end of January early February.

Of course my speculations relate specifically to Phones and tablets and otherwise who knows.

I'm still hopeful and heck maybe HPalm can make new phones and tablets magically appear and ready for production by early January??? We've heard orders for devices in the production pipeline. As usual, we'll just have to wait and see, Sorli...
    Last edited by sorli; 11/25/2010 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Quoted wrong reply...fixed