1.    #1  
    I come from being a bit of an Apple fan boy, my PC is running OSX, I have an iPad and had a new AppleTV delivered in October.

I've been thinking about what else HP could do with WebOS, and wouldn't it be great if they could come up with a TV box product with WebOS on it to stream video and do whatever else on your TV?

WebOS seems to be far more efficient with the hardware it is given, the Pixi+ with 1.4.5 runs much better than my old 3G did with iOS4.0.

For such a young OS, Palm has really done a good job with making it polished and efficient, and I know HP wants to put it into printers, but it would be awesome to see it on a TV too.
    Last edited by steev182; 11/21/2010 at 05:09 AM. Reason: wow, fan boy is censored? ***?
    There's nothing young about the OS, its linux. They compiled some phone specific drivers, trimmed it up, and stuck a nice little gui on it, but at the heart its no different than anything else in most peoples pockets. Even the iphone is running apples hacked up bsd darwin mutant too so theres not much to these things. That said, apple limits your cpu speed and has too much overhead on their GUI which is why like processors still have the iphone seeming slower.

I'm not sure about output to a tv, the pre already runs obnoxiously hot. I think a 2 hour video might set it on fire not to mention its native resolution is only 480x320 so some tinkering will have to be done there. Consider also having your tv time interupted by calls.. no I think this feature is not worth adding another 100 dollars to the average cost of a smart phone.
    I'm on Sprint and we already have Sprint TV, I really never look at it. Are you talking about a TV on the phones, or a Palm TV itself? Either way some people might like the idea... for me - I'm not a TV person.
  4.    #4  
    Well yeah, I know GNU/Linux is a mature OS, Torvalds first writing the kernel in the early 90s, but WebOS and Android aren't GNU/Linux.

All these mobile OSes have in common are the Kernels and some other tools, but the interfaces are all different.

I wouldn't want my handset to output to a tv, I'd want a WebOS device that costs around 99 or less that is connected using HDMI to a TV and on a home network with 802.11n or ethernet.
    I would settle for the 802.11g working properly
    I can see webOS having TV applications and well as devoted TV hardware running webOS. I also could vision companies like Comcast and Time Warner Cable having webOS devices offered with their combined communications packages.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    I wish instead of a box they make really a TV with webOS inside it
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    I'm with the OP and with kkhanmd

I would like for them to make two separate product lines (fully customizable, of course):

1) HPTV box, running HP webOS (yes, we all know it is Palm webOS, but...) where it is a device similar to GoogleTV or AppleTV, where it is basically a HTPC running webOS
    2) HPTV, running HP webOS. Multiple sizes of TVs running a HTPC version of webOS, but embedded inside the TV

Additionally, this would be customizable. I would also like to see HP make all of the phones and slates customizable to the point where we can choose the amount of RAM, the processor speed, storage amount, and even screen size (based on multiple variants of devices) and whether or not there is a keyboard.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    More than just a Palm TV, I want something like this:
    Quote Originally Posted by serial View Post
    There's nothing young about the OS, its linux. They compiled some phone specific drivers, trimmed it up, and stuck a nice little gui on it, but at the heart its no different than anything else in most peoples pockets. Even the iphone is running apples hacked up bsd darwin mutant too so theres not much to these things. That said, apple limits your cpu speed and has too much overhead on their GUI which is why like processors still have the iphone seeming slower.

I'm not sure about output to a tv, the pre already runs obnoxiously hot. I think a 2 hour video might set it on fire not to mention its native resolution is only 480x320 so some tinkering will have to be done there. Consider also having your tv time interupted by calls.. no I think this feature is not worth adding another 100 dollars to the average cost of a smart phone.
    It might be Linux but there are still things that Palm added and make it "young" in many eyes. I mean, would you call WebOS 1.0 Generation 1 or the 100th generation? And in terms of features, WebOS is young and needs to continue to grow and become more feature rich (and of course App rich).

Anyway, to the OP. I don't want that unless they bring something that Google and Apple have not.
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    I'm with the OP and with kkhanmd

I would like for them to make two separate product lines (fully customizable, of course):

1) HPTV box, running HP webOS (yes, we all know it is Palm webOS, but...) where it is a device similar to GoogleTV or AppleTV, where it is basically a HTPC running webOS
    2) HPTV, running HP webOS. Multiple sizes of TVs running a HTPC version of webOS, but embedded inside the TV

Additionally, this would be customizable. I would also like to see HP make all of the phones and slates customizable to the point where we can choose the amount of RAM, the processor speed, storage amount, and even screen size (based on multiple variants of devices) and whether or not there is a keyboard.
    love the idea of customizng your phone like a computer. wonder if that kinda thing could be possible? pick a model and it has options you pick all the stats which depend on the model you pick (bigger phones would have better stats.) and you choose keyboard or slate (adds thickness), make 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, and 4.5 inch phones. 2.5 would be the pixi type phone which does not come with slate, 3 gives you options of landscape keyboard, vertical keyboard or slab keyboard (larger pixi) 3.5 and 4.0 give you vertical, landscape, and slate and 4.5 is landscape and slate (vertical may not be good for somethng that big but not sure) pick color, pick camera, ram processor, and storage. Sounds good.
    You'd want a Palm TV because of all of the amazing video codecs WebOS supports, all of the amazing content providers HP is partnered with, the oh-so-natural way that swiping cards would work great with multiple video streams, and the abundance of major streaming apps like Netflix and Hulu Plus?

Come on, folks....
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I've had the same idea about a webos popbox/boxee box/apple tv. I would buy it in a second. Then you could use your phone/pad as a great remote.
    Quote Originally Posted by niegowsj View Post
    I've had the same idea about a webos popbox/boxee box/apple tv. I would buy it in a second. Then you could use your phone/pad as a great remote.
    The only way the Pre makes a great quasi-remote is if you have DirectTV, the DirecTV app, and a DVR.

And I don't even say that to bag on the Pre in particular or WebOS or even HP or Palm. No one's really figured this out yet. Apple TV 3.0 is closest, but it's all rentals/no storage and kinda demands you buy ANOTHER iOS device to use as a remote. My main phone is an Epic 4G, and there's no way I'd buy a Google TV unit in its current pitiful state. Not only is the interface convoluted and the remote a nightmare, but networks are blocking content left and right. Xbox and PS3 are close, but neither is integrated with a mobile OS yet, and they have separate and competing content stores.
    Apple has long since been the R&D department for the industry. HP and Palm in particular, have been riding Apple's draft for quite a while. The only thing that surprises me is that they haven't done some kind of pTV before now.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Apple has long since been the R&D department for the industry. HP and Palm in particular, have been riding Apple's draft for quite a while. The only thing that surprises me is that they haven't done some kind of pTV before now.
    The only problem is that where HP "rides Apple's draft" makes them very little money compared to what they do that has nothing whatsoever to do with Apple: printers and servers.

As for Palm, they're not copying Apple anywhere near enough. No syncing program. No content partnerships. No robust SDK. No direct access to the hardware. APIs missing. Cheap hardware. No control over when end users get updates. Nothing like the Cupertino Crew.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steev182 View Post
    What about a PalmTV
    No.