Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 188
  1. #161  
    Quote Originally Posted by dtreo View Post
    That comment really doesn't make any sense, does it? The iPhone needs apps because of it's screen size??
    Yes, it makes perfect sense. On a small screen, using a website is painful, so the owners of the website makes an app to make there sites usable - Twitter, Facebook, Bestbuy, Sam's Club, Weight Watchers, etc.

    The only apps that are really required are the PIM apps - Contracts, Email, Calendar, Notes.

    When people start to realize that apps for smartphones are needed to make the internet more usable, but not really needed for tablets except for the PIM apps, than the WebOS tablet have a real good chance of competing with and maybe beating the iPad, Android tablets, and the Blackberry Playbook.
  2. pmjj's Avatar
    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    #162  
    I would buy the phone, my current upgrade is in march talk about timing. I use blue tooth headset to talk on phone size would not bother me as a phone. I guess we just have to wait. I can not wait to see what happens at C.E.S.!
  3. #163  
    The biggest issue with a 5" phone is usability.

    Particularly, one handed usability.

    I love my Evo, in fact, it's very unlikely I will ever be willing to return to a smaller screen...but I believe, as I think most people do, the Evo is almost [if not] the maximum size a PHONE can be.[Hell there's A LOT of people, including on PreCentral, that think the size is too much as is]

    Why do I say this?

    I have "big hands" at least, "big normal" hands.
    [I am 6' tall and 175 lbs, I actually compared my hands to my brother, father and six male friends that are all 5' 10 to 6' 2]
    In that sampling, my hands were either the biggest or the same size, never smaller.

    Why am I talking about hand size? Because it's important to phone size.
    To use the Evo [from top to bottom] I have to extend my thumb the maximum amount [without moving my hand] possible.
    That means that a phone any bigger would require me to actually have to uncomfortably stretch my thumb/hand in order to utilize the entire real estate.
    That may sound petty but the fact is...that would get pretty annoying real fast.

    PHONEs [not Tablets, Laptops, Desktops, or game controllers] are [for the most part] a ONE HANDED device.

    Could you imagine having to use two hands to do something as simple as making a phone call or turning off wifi?
    That would turn people off very fast.

    That is why, less maybe a few tenths of an inch more, anything bigger than the Evo just wouldn't work in a real life scenario.






    While I appreciate the idea of part of the 5" being the gesture area that still would make the phone awkward, unless of course you're going to hold it like Apple suggested people hold the iPhone 4. [which isn't going to happen]


    I applaud the idea of Hpalm making a bigger phone.
    I believe it is NECESSARY to do so as it's becoming very obvious [with the sales of the Epic, Evo, Droids etc] that a big screen is what most people want.
    But there's a limit for a PHONE.


    Pushing the bar for the mere sake of pushing the bar is the LAST thing WebOS needs. It has neither the time nor the resources to waste.
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 11/29/2010 at 10:18 PM.
  4. #164  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I have "big hands" at least, "big normal" hands.
    [I am 6' tall and 175 lbs, I actually compared my hands to my brother, father and six male friends that are all 5' 10 to 6' 2]
    In that sampling, my hands were either the biggest or the same size, never smaller.

    Why am I talking about hand size? Because it's important to phone size.
    To use the Evo [from top to bottom] I have to extend my thumb the maximum amount [without moving my hand] possible.
    That means that a phone any bigger would require me to actually have to uncomfortably stretch my thumb/hand in order to utilize the entire real estate.
    That may sound petty but the fact is...that would get pretty annoying real fast.
    I have tiny Carnie size hands and I rock an EVO, I could definitely use a bigger device without problems.
  5. #165  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevember View Post
    I have tiny Carnie size hands and I rock an EVO, I could definitely use a bigger device without problems.
    I won't sit here and suggest that NO ONE will want a 5" phone, I may even consider it [or at least try it out in the store], but I don't think that most people[certainly enough to make the phone popular enough/sell enough to be worthwhile to make] would want that for the reason I have listed.

    It may sound like a petty reason but I believe it's a very serious, significant reason.



    Let's look at how the Deal Streak is doing. Yeah, the marketing hasn't been the best.
    The marketing for the Galaxy tab hasn't been exactly "out there" either and yet they're about to sell a million of them way before the iPad did. [from time of release to 1 million sales]
  6. #166  
    I have small hands, and use two hands on the Pre. Using two hands wouldn't be an issue for me. The key things would be build quality, sensitivity/useability of the touch screen, battery life, will it fit in my pocket and how good is the virtual keyboard.
  7. #167  
    Phablet?

    Phabulous.

    (Actually, I don't mind a big-a** screen.)
    Last edited by ego2001; 11/30/2010 at 11:08 AM.
    Prē
  8. #168  
    watching jon on this live webcast...they brought up dell streak and seemed from his reaction dont think we would be getting a 5 inch screen phone.
  9. #169  
    Ah, but what about a 5-6" tablet?

    Honestly, i think Palm need to stick with the original plan, of going with the whole messaging/pda-centric phone, which means sticking with the hardware keyboard and trying to bury RIM by offering the superior OS and user experience.

    Everyone knows that RIM's achilles heel is their lacklustre OS.
  10. JLegacy's Avatar
    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    #170  
    Too small for a tablet in my opinion.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

    If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
  11. #171  
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    Too small for a tablet in my opinion.

    I kinda feel like the only difference between calling it a tablet or calling it a phone, is whether or not you hold it up to the side of your head.
  12. ldudiaz's Avatar
    Posts
    184 Posts
    Global Posts
    594 Global Posts
    #172  
    Quote Originally Posted by mickykitsune View Post
    Ah, but what about a 5-6" tablet?

    Honestly, i think Palm need to stick with the original plan, of going with the whole messaging/pda-centric phone, which means sticking with the hardware keyboard and trying to bury RIM by offering the superior OS and user experience.

    Everyone knows that RIM's achilles heel is their lacklustre OS.
    I'm no RIM fan and have been a webOS since day one, but I hope that RIM put the playbook's OS on a 4-4.3" phone.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
  13. #173  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Could you imagine having to use two hands to do something as simple as making a phone call or turning off wifi?
    That would turn people off very fast.

    That is why, less maybe a few tenths of an inch more, anything bigger than the Evo just wouldn't work in a real life scenario.
    But that is where I disagree. Not saying your wrong. It would be some what annoying to ALWAYS have to use two hands. But why would you? Why couldn't they make it where you just talk and it calls. You just talk, and the app works. You talk, and guess what, your googleling (sp? lol) silly. I mean, why can't palm change the way we phone? In fact, they wouldn't be in this case but merely catching up. And if they make a Palm Watch and have that be part controlling your phone, it could even be cooler. Will they do this? Who knows! But this is possible, and other possibilities. And I for one am not someone who will judge until the product is out and I can touch it. Not saying you are saying that, but I have always preferred to wait till I see it to hold judgment. But I should point out there was a debate with the EVO if it was too large, and as you pointed out -- people still think it. But it did sell, boy did it sell. HP/Palm could make a lot of money.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I won't sit here and suggest that NO ONE will want a 5" phone, I may even consider it [or at least try it out in the store], but I don't think that most people[certainly enough to make the phone popular enough/sell enough to be worthwhile to make] would want that for the reason I have listed.

    It may sound like a petty reason but I believe it's a very serious, significant reason.



    Let's look at how the Deal Streak is doing. Yeah, the marketing hasn't been the best.
    The marketing for the Galaxy tab hasn't been exactly "out there" either and yet they're about to sell a million of them way before the iPad did. [from time of release to 1 million sales]
    The Galaxy Tab here in the states isn't really considered a phone, but it has been stated to "have the ability". And if you look at the Dell Streak and say the HP Mansion could not sell well because the Streak didn't do well ... well, that just doesn't work my friend. If you look back (yes again, back to Nintendo) with the NES and what Nintendo actually did to sell the device. Many people would tell you the Atari was the first gaming console (they are wrong). Hardly anyone would tell you that Atari crashed the video game market (just google Atari video game crash and read). If Nintendo took your philosophy and staid with card games (yes, they made card games before video games) and arcade who knows what we would have now. Nintendo took a risk, but did it right. Made it LOOK like a VCR. Make it SOUND like something that would go i n your living room, and not a toy (thats why the Japaneses version was so different then America's). If HP/Palm come up with a great marketing tool, tailer the device to professional people who want long battery life, powerful and big devices, they might do well. Dell ... well, lets put it this way. I didn't know the Dell Streak existed until Palm Mansion came up. I didn't know it was at Best Buy until someone mentioned it here. If someone who keeps up with technology doesn't know it's around, how can my mom or other people who MIGHT want it. My mom actually does want a large device, and she has small hands. She wanted the Tab until she found out it was not really meant to be a phone (and the price).

    The point is, don't point at the Dell Streak -- a poorly marketed phone -- as proof such a phone can work.

    However, I think it's good news that Ruby just said "I think both big and small phones are whats coming" or something along those lines. That means we will see many size(s)! Maybe they will push a 3.5 - 4 inch, with the Pre 2 and Mansion being tailored to people who want those devices. All with ACTUAL marketing schemes behind them. And I gatta go to bed folks so good night!
  14. #174  
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    But that is where I disagree. Not saying your wrong. It would be some what annoying to ALWAYS have to use two hands. But why would you? Why couldn't they make it where you just talk and it calls. You just talk, and the app works. You talk, and guess what, your googleling (sp? lol) silly. I mean, why can't palm change the way we phone? In fact, they wouldn't be in this case but merely catching up. And if they make a Palm Watch and have that be part controlling your phone, it could even be cooler. Will they do this? Who knows! But this is possible, and other possibilities. And I for one am not someone who will judge until the product is out and I can touch it. Not saying you are saying that, but I have always preferred to wait till I see it to hold judgment. But I should point out there was a debate with the EVO if it was too large, and as you pointed out -- people still think it. But it did sell, boy did it sell. HP/Palm could make a lot of money.
    I'm not trying to judge a product before it comes out either. Like I said, I would actually at least consider a phone of this size... but I'm not the "usual user".
    When I say everything that I've said, I'm speaking from a general smartphone user, not from my own perspective.
    Their are a lot of realities that have to be factored in here. People are close minded. [Plenty of people won't touch WebOS because of their either past experiences or just what they hear, same thing with Android, lots of people on these forums won't even touch it because they are so dedicated to WebOS]

    http://phonereport.info/wp-content/u...6670-phone.jpg
    How big is too big? [for a PHONE]




    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    The Galaxy Tab here in the states isn't really considered a phone, but it has been stated to "have the ability". And if you look at the Dell Streak and say the HP Mansion could not sell well because the Streak didn't do well ... well, that just doesn't work my friend. If you look back (yes again, back to Nintendo) with the NES and what Nintendo actually did to sell the device. Many people would tell you the Atari was the first gaming console (they are wrong). Hardly anyone would tell you that Atari crashed the video game market (just google Atari video game crash and read). If Nintendo took your philosophy and staid with card games (yes, they made card games before video games) and arcade who knows what we would have now. Nintendo took a risk, but did it right. Made it LOOK like a VCR. Make it SOUND like something that would go i n your living room, and not a toy (thats why the Japaneses version was so different then America's). If HP/Palm come up with a great marketing tool, tailer the device to professional people who want long battery life, powerful and big devices, they might do well. Dell ... well, lets put it this way. I didn't know the Dell Streak existed until Palm Mansion came up. I didn't know it was at Best Buy until someone mentioned it here. If someone who keeps up with technology doesn't know it's around, how can my mom or other people who MIGHT want it. My mom actually does want a large device, and she has small hands. She wanted the Tab until she found out it was not really meant to be a phone (and the price).

    The point is, don't point at the Dell Streak -- a poorly marketed phone -- as proof such a phone can work.
    Actually comparing the Dell Streak to this phone DOES work.
    The Galaxy tab has had WAY LESS advertising than the iPad at release.
    Yet the Tab is closing in on a million sold and it hasn't even been 30 days.
    That's more than the iPad did in the first month.

    The point?
    While advertising is important, it's not the only reason something sells or doesn't sell.


    Your point about Nintendo is interesting but the fact is were not talking about something overall new.
    The Dell Streak has the fastest growing OS in the world on it.
    An OS that is doubling in marketshare every few months.
    An OS that is about to overtake the long time number 1 RIM.

    Yet they couldn't give the damn things away.

    Why would you assume that an OS that, quite honestly, has seen it's marketshare split in half [or MORE] since release, could use release the same thing and have it do better?
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 12/01/2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: fixed the quote coding so it displayed properly
  15. #175  
    the oversized candy bar is not what I was hoping for. I'd settle for a Pre 2 on Sprint, that form factor is ideal. But the big screen could be useful _if_ it'll allow 2 'live' cards to be displayed at once. Like streaming stock quotes in one, and email in the other
  16. #176  
    I had a Pre at launch...loved WebOS, still love WebOS.....i now have an EVO and it can honestly say that the hardware is perfect! screen size is amazing, touch KB (SlideIT) is fantastic, battery life challenges what my Pre could do (rockin stock battery, but I rooted my EVO and flashed Myns Warm Twopointtwo), the camera is a lot better, HD video recording, on and on and on......BUT, WebOS is so sexy and just amazing i honestly hope HP developes a smartphone with a 4-4.3" screen that rivals Samsungs Samoled screen and all the internals of the EVO....i can not go back to inferior hardware....

    also, if HP wants to stand a chance in the smartphone biz, they need to drop a serious flagship device before verizon drops that CDMA iPhone....they're already flirting with the iPad on commercials, won't be long now.....
  17. #177  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I
    Actually comparing the Dell Streak to this phone DOES work.
    The Galaxy tab has had WAY LESS advertising than the iPad at release.
    Yet the Tab is closing in on a million sold and it hasn't even been 30 days.
    That's more than the iPad did in the first month.

    You know that it is widely reported that Samsung didn't "sell" 600K, right? They shipped (to distribution channels) 600K, so after Christmas we will have a much better idea (based on returns) what the consumer sales are.

    And they aren't in production either, so they aren't building more at the moment.

    I could be wrong, but I fully expect that to be the last production run they do. of the GT. The segment has already moved on so any new production runs will need to have new specs.
  18. #178  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I'm not trying to judge a product before it comes out either. Like I said, I would actually at least consider a phone of this size... but I'm not the "usual user".
    When I say everything that I've said, I'm speaking from a general smartphone user, not from my own perspective.
    Their are a lot of realities that have to be factored in here. People are close minded. [Plenty of people won't touch WebOS because of their either past experiences or just what they hear, same thing with Android, lots of people on these forums won't even touch it because they are so dedicated to WebOS]

    http://phonereport.info/wp-content/u...6670-phone.jpg
    How big is too big? [for a PHONE]
    :/ Did you read my post, my friend? Why do you have to use your two hands if you can use your voice instead. Or control the device with your watch. Or use your mind powers HP will give you. The point there was simple, it's too early to see how they are going to approach it. And I do believe I mentioned you weren't nec. judging the device, I said that because it did seem that way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post

    Actually comparing the Dell Streak to this phone DOES work.
    The Galaxy tab has had WAY LESS advertising than the iPad at release.
    Yet the Tab is closing in on a million sold and it hasn't even been 30 days.
    That's more than the iPad did in the first month.

    The point?
    While advertising is important, it's not the only reason something sells or doesn't sell.
    But they may not be advertising the Galaxy Tab like pancakes, but people do in fact know what a Tab is. By interviews, but putting it on the Today show, and stuff like that. My mother who does not pay attention to the tech world found out about the Galaxy Tab the SAME day I did -- and she was just watching the Today show (I believe it was the Today show, at least). Still to this day she does not know what the Dell Streak is.

    And yes, my useless info about Nintendo paid off! Lol
  19. #179  
    Enough Already!!!

    Can you all please agree to disagree???

    ...while you are all going back and forth over this...I am looking toward GREAT news from Palm at CES in just a little over 4 weeks from now!

    Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  20. #180  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Enough Already!!!

    Can you all please agree to disagree???

    ...while you are all going back and forth over this...I am looking toward GREAT news from Palm at CES in just a little over 4 weeks from now!

    Take care, Jay
    LOL Its all in plain good fun my friend! I like debating and this debate is fun! And I look forward to it as well.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions