Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 188
  1. #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Don't be too sure HP realizes anything. We're still here about two years later with the current release being the Pre 2. Still waiting... After seeing Palm's bad marketing attempts, its hard to assume companies know these things.

    There's the post that spawned your responses. I said "about" two years. I mentioned HP and probably should've put the slash Palm afterwards. But its still the Palm unit at HP that i'm referring to. But whatever... You go on and keep attacking this. There's nothing doom & gloom about this post. The only doom & gloom was you butting in this thread with more of your nonsense.
    In all fairness, what you intended to write and what your writing conveyed are completely different. It isn't about semantics. You cannot blame someone else for not knowing what you meant to say, when you did not even come close to saying it.

    The way your post reads, from an unbiased point of view, is that HP had about two years to learn something. HP, not Palm. You may have meant Palm, but then edit your post to say that. To judge HP for actions before their time makes it seem like you are trying to exaggerate the doom & gloom. If you changed it to Palm (which, by the way, I don't believe you initially meant since the context was already contrasting HP and Palm at that point), the first sentence might make more sense but then the rest loses relevance. That is, the conversation was about whether HP learned anything from Palm's mistakes. If you were then making a point that Palm has not learned from its own mistakes, that would be entirely irrelevant.

    I'm not trying to be mean. But before you go off ranting about someone else, take a look at your own writing and see if that might be the source of the problem. I'm sure a lot of productivity was lost because (1) you imprecisely tried to convey your thoughts, and (2) would not budge once you were called out on it.
  2. #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    In all fairness, what you intended to write and what your writing conveyed are completely different. It isn't about semantics. You cannot blame someone else for not knowing what you meant to say, when you did not even come close to saying it.

    The way your post reads, from an unbiased point of view, is that HP had about two years to learn something. HP, not Palm. You may have meant Palm, but then edit your post to say that. To judge HP for actions before their time makes it seem like you are trying to exaggerate the doom & gloom. If you changed it to Palm (which, by the way, I don't believe you initially meant since the context was already contrasting HP and Palm at that point), the first sentence might make more sense but then the rest loses relevance. That is, the conversation was about whether HP learned anything from Palm's mistakes. If you were then making a point that Palm has not learned from its own mistakes, that would be entirely irrelevant.

    I'm not trying to be mean. But before you go off ranting about someone else, take a look at your own writing and see if that might be the source of the problem. I'm sure a lot of productivity was lost because (1) you imprecisely tried to convey your thoughts, and (2) would not budge once you were called out on it.
    Thanks but i'll stand by what i wrote. HP = Palm unit = Ruby You can mention HP or Palm in these forums, but we all really mean the Palm unit. Not the guy selling HP printers or the enterprise division.

    Palm as an independent company and palm as a unit are not that mutually exclusive. Ruby is the constant. It is not a stretch to hope that Ruby or the Palm UNIT have learned from mistakes they made as an independent company.

    I think the post is pretty straightforward.
    Last edited by cardfan; 11/23/2010 at 05:12 PM.
  3. #123  
    **Discussions are fine and what these forums are here to provide our members... but please respect each other. This is about phones, not people.

    Thanks!
  4. #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I think the post is pretty straightforward to anyone with half a brain. But perhaps that's the problem. Those people seem to be in short supply here.
    You're right. Most webOS enthusiasts probably have a full brain. That's why it wasn't straightforward--if you need half a brain to understand it (not AT LEAST half a brain), it disqualifies a large portion of the population.
  5. #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    You're right. Most webOS enthusiasts probably have a full brain. That's why it wasn't straightforward--if you need half a brain to understand it (not AT LEAST half a brain), it disqualifies a large portion of the population.
    But of course I'm outta here before the end :P Give yourself pats on the back..
  6. #126  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Thanks but i'll stand by what i wrote. HP = Palm unit = Ruby You can mention HP or Palm in these forums, but we all really mean the Palm unit. Not the guy selling HP printers or the enterprise division.

    Palm as an independent company and palm as a unit are not that mutually exclusive. Ruby is the constant. It is not a stretch to hope that Ruby or the Palm UNIT have learned from mistakes they made as an independent company.

    I think the post is pretty straightforward to anyone with half a brain. But perhaps that's the problem. Those people seem to be in short supply here.
    I stand amazed that you believe that "Palm as an independent company and palm as a unit are not that mutually exclusive". They are in the literal sense (you can't be a independent company and part of a unit), and even in the figurative sense.

    When it was Ruby at Palm, he pretty much called the shots, even before he was moved up. Now, he has to answer to a whole hosts of bosses.

    Further, when he was calling all (most) of the shots at Palm, he was very restricted in what he can because of financial considerations. Now he has much less to worry about, money-wise.

    And this ignores the fact that they have more than doubled the number of employees working for the Palm unit.

    So, now this guy that had great ideas, only a few of which he could chase because of limited funds, now has much more money (and people) to play with, but has others telling him the direction they want the product to take.

    And you call this a minor point?
  7. #127  
    Something tells me this thread can never be brought back to the original topic.
  8. #128  
    [QlUOTE=Courousant;
    2772226]Something tells me this thread can never be brought back to the original topic.[/QUOTE]

    Lol I still have hope now lets get bak to "the rumored 5 inch phone from palm & hp" shall we



    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
  9. #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I stand amazed that you believe that "Palm as an independent company and palm as a unit are not that mutually exclusive". They are in the literal sense (you can't be a independent company and part of a unit), and even in the figurative sense.

    When it was Ruby at Palm, he pretty much called the shots, even before he was moved up. Now, he has to answer to a whole hosts of bosses.

    Further, when he was calling all (most) of the shots at Palm, he was very restricted in what he can because of financial considerations. Now he has much less to worry about, money-wise.

    And this ignores the fact that they have more than doubled the number of employees working for the Palm unit.

    So, now this guy that had great ideas, only a few of which he could chase because of limited funds, now has much more money (and people) to play with, but has others telling him the direction they want the product to take.

    And you call this a minor point?
    Geez...ignore button where are you? LOL
    Bye now
  10. #130  
    a screen diagonal of 5 inches is ideal for people with pocket books who wear reading glasses.

    I have honestly been advising all of my 55+ relatives to purchase the largest screened cellphone they can, so that they can see it without putting reading glasses on.

    so far, it has worked great.

    I cannot recommend the pre to my mother for example, and god forbid the pixi, because she would is more comfortable reading on a larger screen.

    yes there is pinch to zoom, but that only applies to limited uses, like browsing.

    as friendly as preware is, my mom, a very smart professor of molecular biology, does not want to deal with it. she still calls me with questions about how to watch a movie on her TV, I don't need more calls about the phone

    therefore I welcome a 5 inch smartphone that runs a very intuitive OS (webOS)
    It would become a de-facto recommendation for many friends and relatives, if that had voice dialing and search as well.
    There are four lights.
  11. akanak's Avatar
    Posts
    177 Posts
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    #131  
    Didn't learn anything from the Dell Streak

    4" Smartphone and 8" Tablet, thats all you need. THen keep the Pre line around for those who like a good ol mini smartphone.
  12. #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    When it was Ruby at Palm, he pretty much called the shots, even before he was moved up. Now, he has to answer to a whole hosts of bosses.

    Further, when he was calling all (most) of the shots at Palm, he was very restricted in what he can because of financial considerations. Now he has much less to worry about, money-wise.
    To further add to your point, Palm was working on fumes. He could have said lets design this phone with all these features. The boss comes back with, "We only have X amount of dollars and we need X times 10 to design and create the device you want." Ruby then takes features off and makes it more simple, and again, money could have come up short.

    Or he could have honestly thought the Pre was the best phone ever. Who knows? But, this guy designed the iPod. He has to know something. With the money of HP they can design more phones then just one or two. They can actually research and find out what makes a good device. Palm wasn't a huge company and was running out of money.

    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Geez...ignore button where are you? LOL
    Bye now
    And to you ... I agree. We don't know if HP will be successful with Palm and WebOS. It might be a waste of money. But, if they do care about the 1.2 billion they spent, then they WONT just stand by and let it die. They will do something and they will go down with a fight. And I personally can't wait till what they do with their phones next year.
    Last edited by astraith; 11/23/2010 at 09:38 PM.
  13. #133  
    I've been mulling over the need for a tablet since lugging my 14 in laptop is too much work. My 3.7" droid is too small to really enjoy a website and difficult to type on so I don't think 4" would make much improvement.

    I think 5" could be the sweetspot for usability and I wouldn't need to waste money buying a separate tablet.

    Unless you're a small person I don't think 5" is oversized but it is the absolute max for a phone. I'm 6' tall fyi.

    I would love to the pull it out while my friends are geeking out with their iphones. #twss
  14. #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by visualplastik View Post
    I've been mulling over the need for a tablet since lugging my 14 in laptop is too much work. My 3.7" droid is too small to really enjoy a website and difficult to type on so I don't think 4" would make much improvement.

    I think 5" could be the sweetspot for usability and I wouldn't need to waste money buying a separate tablet.

    Unless you're a small person I don't think 5" is oversized but it is the absolute max for a phone. I'm 6' tall fyi.

    I would love to the pull it out while my friends are geeking out with their iphones. #twss
    Thats exactly the way I am thinking. I want to buy a tablet next year, but if I can spend 200-300 on a new phone and have that be my tablet as well (because it is certianly big enough to be one) then I would be happy. I'll be able to keep it in my pocket, as the Dell Streak does fit in jeans (although probably not womans jeans -- but then again, they have their purse!) so that wouldn't be a problem for me at all.
  15. #135  
    I was in Best Buy yesterday with the wife looking at HP laptops (I am looking to have the complete HP enterprise in 2011; laptop, phones, PalmPad, and printer ) for Black Friday and visited the phones. Bammm!! what do you know, the Dell Streak was in my presence.

    Say what you may, but I couldnt help but to admire the ease of visibility b/c of the size, while thinking about this thread and just WISHING its true. I am 6'3 234 and WILL be sporting one if they make it. That size is my sweet spot with webOS, and the ability to view the web, etc would be AWESOME.

    As for folks making fun of how it would look while using the phone, well I recall folks making fun of my 700wx b/c the lil blackberry pearls, etc was the way to go, then Apple hit it big, now Droids....so I am looking forward and would love 5" webOS device.
  16. ldudiaz's Avatar
    Posts
    184 Posts
    Global Posts
    594 Global Posts
    #136  
    I hope that whenever we get a palm phone it would worth the wait, I feel I have no more anergy to keep waiting. Whatever happens happens

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
  17. JLegacy's Avatar
    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    #137  
    I'd like a 5" screen. The Pre's screen is so small that when I stick it in my pocket it "twists" horizontally.

    Also, with that added screensize I want a better battery. A way better battery.
    Last edited by JLegacy; 11/24/2010 at 09:44 PM.
  18. #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by fred1955 View Post
    Congrats!...you just hit the nail on the proverbial head...it's the world's first "Phone/Tablet". yayyyy!!!
    dell streak is
  19. #139  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    ...
    Why do so many of you past users feel the need to bash here, while it would seem to make more sense to contact HP directly and let them know your thoughts.
    ...
    You'd think that if their new devices were all that, they'd be using them or posting their satisfaction and new found abilities on their respective forum.

    You know the guy that dumped his girlfriend for a "better" one, then realized he screwed up, but was too proud to admit it, so he trashed her reputation...
  20. #140  
    Well, if this other rumor pans out, at least the Mansion will have company: Android-Powered ASUS Smartphone Packs 4.8″ 1024 x 480 Display.

    I wouldn't mind a portable multimedia device with a 2.39:1 aspect ratio. For a 5" diagonal, that'd be 1.930"x4.613". Hmm ... maybe a bit too small.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions