Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 188
  1. #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    iPod touch?
    Nah, that would be a 3.5" brick.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
  2. #102  
    Like the Pre, i think a 5" slab would have its niche. But these niches should come (if at all) AFTER using common sense on the popular form factors.

    Let's see a 3.8-4" slab first (palm should be beaten with a stick to get this out first). A 10" tablet. Perhaps even a landscape slider phone.
  3. #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Like the Pre, i think a 5" slab would have its niche. But these niches should come (if at all) AFTER using common sense on the popular form factors.

    Let's see a 3.8-4" slab first (palm should be beaten with a stick to get this out first). A 10" tablet. Perhaps even a landscape slider phone.
    It is just a rumor of 1 of the many form factors that HP is slated to release in 2011. I am sure HP realize where the market is today and will hopefully address that with the various form factors they claim is coming.

    I for one look forward to a variety to decide what works for me. I also recall the days when folks thought 3.5" was out of touch, then 4", now 4.3", my point is lets allow them to arrive and see what happens, since they claim there will be various.....more seems to be good nowadays
  4. #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    It is just a rumor of 1 of the many form factors that HP is slated to release in 2011. I am sure HP realize where the market is today and will hopefully address that with the various form factors they claim is coming.

    I for one look forward to a variety to decide what works for me. I also recall the days when folks thought 3.5" was out of touch, then 4", now 4.3", my point is lets allow them to arrive and see what happens, since they claim there will be various.....more seems to be good nowadays
    Don't be too sure HP realizes anything. We're still here about two years later with the current release being the Pre 2. Still waiting... After seeing Palm's bad marketing attempts, its hard to assume companies know these things.

    It'd be cruel to see HP's idea of "various form factors" being niches.

    Obviously, they're working hard on making webOS compatible without a kb for the tablet/slabs (which also makes the idea of a Pre 2 as a dev phone puzzling). It's important to remember though they need app development, ecosystem, and a system for QUICK updates. Is it really a good idea to have many various form factors right now then? What looks good on a 3.1" screen might not look great on a 10" tab or a 5" tab.

    Every webOS update will have to incorporate all these devices. Which slows things down. Being the maker of the hardware and software needs to be a strength for HP to capitalize on while they catch up. Many various devices negates what is supposed to be their huge advantage. I'd rather see a more solid foundation in place with one premium popular form factor before worrying about a variety of hardware.
  5. #105  
    See what happens when people complain about screen size. You ever heard the expression - be careful what you ask for, you just might get it. I doubt (if this is true) that this will be the only device they release. Im sure they will come out with something smaller as well.
  6. #106  
    you could actually fit a 5inch screen on a droid if there is less benzle and still be the same size overall. Same with htc evo. Both those phones sell so I don't see a big deal.
  7. #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Don't be too sure HP realizes anything. We're still here about two years later with the current release being the Pre 2. Still waiting... After seeing Palm's bad marketing attempts, its hard to assume companies know these things.
    HP hasn't owned Palm for 2 years.
  8. #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    HP hasn't owned Palm for 2 years.
    Not really that relevant. But who's been CEO at Palm and who heads the HP Mobility group now?

    Since HP doesn't exactly have a stellar mobility past, let's be conservative and not assume HP knows the mobility market any more than the Palm unit it acquired.
  9. #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Not really that relevant. But who's been CEO at Palm and who heads the HP Mobility group now?

    Since HP doesn't exactly have a stellar mobility past, let's be conservative and not assume HP knows the mobility market any more than the Palm unit it acquired.
    Exactly - it's not really relevant! Of couirse, if someone is itching to back up their "doom and gloom" message, it sounds much better to imply that HP has had something to do with what's gone on during the last two years.

    Ironic that you bring up HP's lack of "stellar performance". I read somewhere on this forum that HP actually outsold Palm with the iPaq. Don't know if it's true, and don't really care, but it is worth nothing they sold a lot of them. No, not iPhone numbers, and not even Blackberry numbers, but they sold a lot.

    You didn't hear about it, because they weren't marketed, they were sold through HP's enterprise connections and distribution channels. So, now HP has made it clear that they are going after the mobile phone market. They've had about 5 months to start gearing up, and that's for a whole lineup, not just phones.

    Will we see great success? Seriously, none of us know yet. But it's a straw man to cite the "last two years" as any sort of example.

    As I said, no doubt the doom and gloom folks will, but that's just because they don't have much else to hang on to.
  10. solarus's Avatar
    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Not really that relevant. But who's been CEO at Palm and who heads the HP Mobility group now?

    Since HP doesn't exactly have a stellar mobility past, let's be conservative and not assume HP knows the mobility market any more than the Palm unit it acquired.
    I'm not as doomy as you but I do see your point. I think HP would be wise to acknowledge their experience in the consumer mobile space is lacking and that the Palm crew don't seem capable of marketing effectively. That been said, I don't see HP spending a billion+ and then hiring a hack advertising agency to get the message of the first HP webOS phone/tablet out in a respectable manner. They do pretty good PC ads so I would expect HP to use some of that experience. Where they will need help is getting the "what our OS can do" message across in a manner that attracts buyers. Paying off some developers would be prudent too
  11. #111  
    I've played extensively with a Dell Streak, just bought one for my brother-in-law. It seemed humongous at first, but I quickly grew quite fond of it. The big screen is really, really nice for web browsing and reading. It's best used as a tablet, but it isn't too big to fit in a pocket or use as a phone. If you're a heavy talker you'd probably want to use headphones or some form of handsfree system with it, but it's really like having a tablet and phone in one. I was wanting to get a PalmPad for eBook reading in addition to a phone, but a 5" phone would basically serve both purposes at once for me.

    Edit: For those talking about the Streak: it's supposed to get a Froyo upgrade next month. They tried to push out a 2.1 upgrade for it but it was stopped due to widespread reports of instability and problems.
  12. #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Exactly - it's not really relevant! Of couirse, if someone is itching to back up their "doom and gloom" message, it sounds much better to imply that HP has had something to do with what's gone on during the last two years.

    Will we see great success? Seriously, none of us know yet. But it's a straw man to cite the "last two years" as any sort of example.

    As I said, no doubt the doom and gloom folks will, but that's just because they don't have much else to hang on to.
    You act as if someone different at HP will be running the show. Same guy is in charge..Ruby. Sorry Herbie, but the Ipaq team isn't taking over.

    He made many bad choices at Palm. He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt now. No assumes.

    Will we see great success? None of us know yet. But its not a straw man to cite his time as Palm CEO to reign in assumptions about what he has in mind at HP.

    BTW..i'm kind of done debating something this minor..a nitpick really. Stick to replying to main points or move on please.. All it does is derail the thread (not that you don't know this :P)
    Last edited by cardfan; 11/22/2010 at 04:21 PM.
  13. #113  
    5" is way too big. Just look at the Dell Streak commercials (that is the 5" phonlet?), way too big.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Down with the BourgeoisOS oppressors, webOS users unite!
  14. #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    HP hasn't owned Palm for 2 years.
    And the Pre itself has only been out about 17 months. Don't bother his brain with silly things like facts. They simply don't matter to his argument.
  15. #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
    And the Pre itself has only been out about 17 months. Don't bother his brain with silly things like facts. They simply don't matter to his argument.


    But i guess making things up matter? I never said HP owned Palm for two years. Don't let silly things like that bother your argument though :P
  16. #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    You act as if someone different at HP will be running the show. Same guy is in charge..Ruby. Sorry Herbie, but the Ipaq team isn't taking over.

    He made many bad choices at Palm. He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt now. No assumes.

    Will we see great success? None of us know yet. But its not a straw man to cite his time as Palm CEO to reign in assumptions about what he has in mind at HP.

    BTW..i'm kind of done debating something this minor..a nitpick really. Stick to replying to main points or move on please.. All it does is derail the thread (not that you don't know this :P)
    So, you're saying you really believe the Ruby is "in charge" of everything at Palm? Seriously, check your facts.

    Of course it's not a straw man to cite his time at Palm, but that's not what you did. You named HP. He wasn't at HP, and they weren't at Palm.

    And, as it's been pointed out, the Pre hasn't been out two years yet.

    As far as "being done debating the point", good for you. Fortunately, you "being done" doesn't restrict anyone else from pointing out the fallacy of the argument.

    If it's a minor point, don't bother bringing it up. As I stated, it appears to me it's just one more boost to the "doom and gloom" argument to try to pretend that HP has had two years with the product. They haven't.
  17. #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post


    But i guess making things up matter? I never said HP owned Palm for two years. Don't let silly things like that bother your argument though :P
    Wait.... I thought you were "done"...
  18. #118  
    Hummm... wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwell, this is a "Smartablet"!! Hehehehe

    So... maybe can not interesting as my cellphone, but can to be a EXCELENT partner to a Pre 2.

    Today, I'm using a Treo 680 + Nokia N810, and both work well, except that I cannot sync the same PIM two devices.

    Have this two devices, can to be PERFECT to me...

    ... IF the H/Palm begin to sell ANYWEBOSTHING here, in Brazil!!


    Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  19. #119  
    Even 4.3" is too big, IMO--I think the EVO is too big. 5" is a mini-tablet. The Pixi's form factor is the form factor for me.
  20. #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    So, you're saying you really believe the Ruby is "in charge" of everything at Palm? Seriously, check your facts.

    Of course it's not a straw man to cite his time at Palm, but that's not what you did. You named HP. He wasn't at HP, and they weren't at Palm.

    And, as it's been pointed out, the Pre hasn't been out two years yet.

    As far as "being done debating the point", good for you. Fortunately, you "being done" doesn't restrict anyone else from pointing out the fallacy of the argument.

    If it's a minor point, don't bother bringing it up. As I stated, it appears to me it's just one more boost to the "doom and gloom" argument to try to pretend that HP has had two years with the product. They haven't.
    You really like to troll don't you? <deleted by Mod>

    I'm not here to argue semantics or minor points with you. Like i said, i never said HP owned Palm for two years. I never said the Pre has been out for two years. And if I even implied that in your mind, then its STILL irrelevant to the original post i made.

    If you think I'm all about Palm being doom & gloom, then you don't know me. I'm still here. I'm excited to see what HP can do with the Palm unit. I post opinions. If you want to act like an adult, i'll treat you like one. But if you want to play the troll, then i'll ignore you. Your choice.
    Don't be too sure HP realizes anything. We're still here about two years later with the current release being the Pre 2. Still waiting... After seeing Palm's bad marketing attempts, its hard to assume companies know these things.

    It'd be cruel to see HP's idea of "various form factors" being niches.

    Obviously, they're working hard on making webOS compatible without a kb for the tablet/slabs (which also makes the idea of a Pre 2 as a dev phone puzzling). It's important to remember though they need app development, ecosystem, and a system for QUICK updates. Is it really a good idea to have many various form factors right now then? What looks good on a 3.1" screen might not look great on a 10" tab or a 5" tab.

    Every webOS update will have to incorporate all these devices. Which slows things down. Being the maker of the hardware and software needs to be a strength for HP to capitalize on while they catch up. Many various devices negates what is supposed to be their huge advantage. I'd rather see a more solid foundation in place with one premium popular form factor before worrying about a variety of hardware.
    There's the post that spawned your responses. I said "about" two years. I mentioned HP and probably should've put the slash Palm afterwards. But its still the Palm unit at HP that i'm referring to. But whatever... You go on and keep attacking this. There's nothing doom & gloom about this post. The only doom & gloom was you butting in this thread with more of your nonsense.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/23/2010 at 04:54 PM.

Posting Permissions