Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Of course I did.

The iPaq was a tough competitor for the Treos, although, back then, the market was much smaller.

THe iPaq build quality was superb, and they were expensive phones, to boot. Mostly meant for enterprise customers.. the majority of iPaq owners migrated to Blackberries, along with those who eroded away from the aging Treo line...

Everything changed though, with the iPhone.

Its a new market where the consumers are creating demand, and not so much enterprise domination any more... its almost an equal demand now, versus years before.

The Keynote by Phil Mckinney was very revealing... he brought real clarity, I thought, to the meaning of the phrase "many form factors", and they ap[pear to understand, now, that "one device does not fit everyone".

I completely agree that the keynote speech brought clarity and understanding to those who where loosing faith. A lot of people thought (and still do think) HP doesn't care about the phone market and only care about WebOS printers -- but he did say multiple form factors and tablet. Thats amazing news. Don't like the 5 incher? Then get the 4 incher phone. I personally may get the 5 inch if it's the right price (200-300) and not too big (if the phone is pretty much screen and gesture area, it might not be as bad as the Streak). Otherwise, I would get a 4 inch screen (hopefully with a keyboard!).

So I am happy And faith renewed!
    Let's put it on perspective.

What we KNOW until now:

Future devices are roadrunner (pre2), mansion (320x400 resolution), mantaray and stingray.

I think it's not too hard to realize that Mansion is the Pixi2, and the other devices are, obviously, other devices.

Now, let's speculate a bit:

If the codename is related in any way with the device's form factor, we can imagine two flat devices (no hardware keyboard) with two different sizes (as it is with manta rays and stingrays). So if the 5 inches device exists, we are talking about stingray, and it's a intermediate device between a pad and a phone. In other words: a pocketized pad with phone capabilities.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Newness Developments apps:

I'm interested in the cool "new form factors" HP keeps hinting at. That watch maybe? They can't just be talking about printers and toasters, I'm sure they've got something crazy up their sleeve.

People were getting bored with the IPhone and wanted to try something new, that's why Android is so successful. I think HP can capitalize on most people's G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) and really skyrocket in market share.
    It wouldn't be a phone. It'd be something similar to the Dell Streak(minus the phone): A mini tablet. I think it'd be really cool to have, but if I was going to get something bigger I'd want 7" tablet.

This is a Dell Streak, mini tablet. This is what it would be:
    http://www.droiddog.com/wp-content/u...streak-mid.png
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    I think the HTC Evo Shift 4G has it right, but I'm gonna wait to see how bulky it ends up being. Looks to be near a 3.7 inch screen or 3.8, landscape slider, and still has the power of the original Evo.

If Palm has a similar device,the differentiating factor will be how slim they can make the phone. As janky as the Pre is, it's design is truly what sets it apart. If feels slimmer than it looks.

A 5" device though?..... What market are we talking about here? I haven't seen a soul carrying a Streak yet. Why waste the production $$$ on that? If 5 devices are in line, then go with the Samsung route. You don't see them with a 5 inch slab do you? And it's working out very good for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Strikerage View Post
    I think the HTC Evo Shift 4G has it right, but I'm gonna wait to see how bulky it ends up being. Looks to be near a 3.7 inch screen or 3.8, landscape slider, and still has the power of the original Evo.

If Palm has a similar device,the differentiating factor will be how slim they can make the phone. As janky as the Pre is, it's design is truly what sets it apart. If feels slimmer than it looks.

A 5" device though?..... What market are we talking about here? I haven't seen a soul carrying a Streak yet. Why waste the production $$$ on that? If 5 devices are in line, then go with the Samsung route. You don't see them with a 5 inch slab do you? And it's working out very good for them.
    your right about the market Dell was trying to reach heres what Dell said regarding the Dell Streak:

Mobility for Dell has been somewhat disappointing,” Wu said. The Streak, which runs Google Inc.’s Android operating system and sports a 5-inch screen, is “too small to be a tablet and too big to be a smartphone. That really hurt sales of the product.”

Dell’s Ron Garriques, of Mobile Business, to Depart - BusinessWeek

hopefully HP/Palm are reading things like this, because this is the market (or shall I say testing waters) they plan on trying to enter with this rumored 5" phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Of course I did.

The iPaq was a tough competitor for the Treos, although, back then, the market was much smaller.

THe iPaq build quality was superb, and they were expensive phones, to boot. Mostly meant for enterprise customers.. the majority of iPaq owners migrated to Blackberries, along with those who eroded away from the aging Treo line...

Everything changed though, with the iPhone.

Its a new market where the consumers are creating demand, and not so much enterprise domination any more... its almost an equal demand now, versus years before.

The Keynote by Phil Mckinney was very revealing... he brought real clarity, I thought, to the meaning of the phrase "many form factors", and they ap[pear to understand, now, that "one device does not fit everyone".

correct and even in 2001 Ipaq past Palm in sales, regarding their product offered better build, higher res screens, and more ram then Palm did. They estimated at 200million sold for the Quarter, and palm was quoting 130m. This of course was well before the iphone, and the market changing.

DataQuest: iPAQ Sales Overtaking Palm - InternetNews.com
    Hi all,

I know for fact, as it was on this site a few months ago, that HP Palm has patents for a folding and/or roll up display. That would be great, small when on your belt and large when using it!

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Actually it almost seems too big. I wouldn't mind an inexpensive wifi tablet of this size - a sort of Pre Touch or Palm TX 2. But this is probably a little too big for a phone. Personally, I'd settle for a 3.5 or 3.7 inch phone.
    hi all,

I am going to more or less repeat what I said earlier in this thread...lets calm down and wait to see and try the new device, instead of condemning it before anyone truly knows what it is!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I would by a WebOS phone with a 5" screen in a heartbeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    correct and even in 2001 Ipaq past Palm in sales, regarding their product offered better build, higher res screens, and more ram then Palm did. They estimated at 200million sold for the Quarter, and palm was quoting 130m. This of course was well before the iphone, and the market changing.

DataQuest: iPAQ Sales Overtaking Palm - InternetNews.com
    you might want to add the dollar sign, so no one gets confused.
    Hi all,

I have read a few articles saying that the 5" tablet format my be DOA, since the Dell Streak bombed. However, I vaguely remember that the Streak came with an older version of Droid on it and was not upgradeable or not easily upgradeable.

Does my memory serve me correctly??

I am hoping that there will be two versions of Palm 5" one with a keyboard and one without....but the same under the hood. I am a Palm tradionalist....I love a keyboard and don't want to give it up.

However, there easily could be a larger Palm keyboarded PDA, that will be sold, but not based on the Mansion format....Something on the order the Pre 2 but larger! After all there have been rumors of a landscape layout webOS 2using a larger format that the Pre 2 but with a keyboard...Jan 3rd and CES cannot come fast enough for me......

take care,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

I have read a few articles saying that the 5" tablet format my be DOA, since the Dell Streak bombed. However, I vaguely remember that the Streak came with an older version of Droid on it and was not upgradeable or not easily upgradeable.

Does my memory serve me correctly??
    Correct. It came with Android 1.5 and wasn't upgraded.
    Please God no 5" phone (screen). I played with the dell streak yesterday at BB and it was comical how large this ogar phone was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Correct. It came with Android 1.5 and wasn't upgraded.
    Thanks they say the mind is the first thing to go, well at least my memory works a little bit...why in G-D's name would they make a pad type device with an outdated OS that wasn't upgradeable?????????? We know that won't be the case for Palm, as webOS 2.0 will work on existing Palm PDA's with webOS!

So it isn't the just size that was the failure, it did have an old OS. Perhaps the size isn't an issue just the fact of the OS...In that case, palm has a clear shot here!

Take care,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLogan View Post
    I would by a WebOS phone with a 5" screen in a heartbeat.
    I'd have to say, if the phone impressed with a front facing cam and autofocus on the main cam, plus they intice developers like the makers of Shazaam and Shopsavvy, then they might get me to go for a 5 inch phone.

If the Pre was the 'mom' phone, I might as well buy the 'dad' phone to get rid of the former stigma. :-)
    5" screen? Bring it on. I don't have giant hands, for reference I can almost palm a basketball, but not quite. I just don't understand people who say that the 4.3" form factor is to big, or doesn't fit in the pocket. When I use an Evo, I feel there's room to grow. I also have plenty of room in my pocket for a larger device. Smart phones are increasingly about the web and media experience. So I say bring on the larger screens.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    hi all,

I am going to more or less repeat what I said earlier in this thread...lets calm down and wait to see and try the new device, instead of condemning it before anyone truly knows what it is!

Take care,

Jay
    Great post Jay. Since HP has stated they will have MUTIPLE form factors, why waste time blasting the one you might not want, nor have had a chance to see/feel/use in real-time
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    I have a 3.5" tablet...
    iPod touch?