Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    That's not a phone, that's a tablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    HP must do this to compete with the dell streak.

this is from a source within HP

If that's the case then I hope its a "mini tablet" instead of a phone.

*shudders*
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Yep.

RUMOR: Palm Mansion could be HP's webOS 2.0 tablet
    palm, you misunderstood. I said I wanted something like the dell venue pro, not like the streak.
    I'd just like to go on record that I think this would be perfect for sprint tv lol

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    <<threads combined>>
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    if this rumor turns out to be true I'm all over it.

I can even wait till feb!

come on baby!
    Hi all,

I found a similar article, which I have included below. Before I would decide on what size webOS smartphone I would want, I want to see this one. I suggest to all of the naysaysers...see this before you rule it out.....(I'm a half full glass kind of guy)!

Take care,

Jay

Palm Mansion: HP and Dell to Compete More Directly with Mobile StrategyChuong Nguyen | Nov 19, 2010 | 0

Palm Mansion: HP and Dell to Compete More Directly with Mobile Strategy | GottaBeMobile

Although HP is using only webOS, which it had acquired through its purchase of Palm, the company seems to be directly competing with rival PC maker Dell, which has committed to Android and Windows Phone 7 development, in the mobile space. Rumored specs for the HP Palm Mansion has it that the device will utilize a 5-inch WVGA display and will run on webOS 2.0. The display specs of the Mansion is very similar to Dellís Android-powered Dell Streak, which straddles the smartphone and tablet divide by offering a larger screen size than most traditional phones while offering a smaller screen size than many tablets to make it more portable.

While HP Palm seems to have its eyes set on the smartphone-tablet hybrid space, Dell is gunning at the smartphone space with its Windows Phone 7-powered Dell Venue Pro. The Dell Venue Pro, which runs on Microsoftís mobile OS, utilizes a portrait-oriented QWERTY slider, a form factor thatís found on the Palm Pre and the HP Palm Pre 2 smartphones.

Also, with regards to webOS, HP is saying that a webOS 2.0 upgrade will be made available to all devices in the coming months, which is good news for hardware owners of the platform and instills a lot of confidence that HP will be supporting older hardware with newer software release. Itís unclear, however, what features from webOS 2.0 will be seen or missing from older hardware. Apple had committed to a similar strategy with the iPhone and iOS.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    iPhone 4: 4.50 x 2.31 x 0.37
    Droid 2: 4.58 x 2.38 x 0.54
    EVO: 4.80 x 2.60 x 0.50
    Droid X: 5.02 x 2.58 x 0.39
    Streak: 6.02 x 3.11 x 0.40

The question is whether the measurement was for the display or the phone's dimensions. Given that this is a rumor, and a poorly written one at that, I would not be surprised if the "close source" (whatever that means) meant dimensions, not display.

"[W]we have heard from one of our close source that Palm is working on a smartphone that will have a display slightly bigger than 5″."
    Perhaps the rumor is a little off and it's a 5 inch phone, not screen. I don't have a ruler on me but perhaps a 4 inch screen coupled with space above the earpiece and the gesture area could be the 5 inches.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I showed this news to Austin Powers and he said "That's not a phone...that a MAN, BABY!!"

So, yes, 5" screen may be too big for a phone. According to an international man of mystery.

You must be logged in to post links or photos. And by the way, your fly is open.
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime View Post
    I haven't handled the Dell Streak myself but some folks that I respect have spoken very highly of it. It is a device that I have been told that "you can get some real work done on." There are some that think 5 inches is perfect.
    Ok, so the rumor is that HP is releasing 4 or 5 new devices. So we have:
    Palm Pre 2 (3.1 screen, 1ghz processor)
    Palm Mansion (5.1" screen, dual 1gz processors). I bet it will have video conferencing, etc. It will be a killer superphone device, a superphone in everyway.
    PalmPad (I'll bet 9 inches) (dual 1ghz processors)
    That leaves one or two more. I'll bet:
    1. one is a 4.0 to 4.3 device. (dual 1ghz processors)
    2. If another one, a new pixi type, device? Seems unneeded to me.

That is a great lineup to me. I'll go to the store, play with each, and make a decision based upon how they feel at the time. I can't wait to see what WebOS looks like on a 5 inch screen.
    I remember that not too long ago I thought the Iphone was way too big and I didn't want to carry it. Then I saw the Evo and I thought the same thing, but it didn't seem "that" big and the iPhone no longer feels big at all.
    I agree! Although a Pixi device should be released next year, a lot of ppl like the Pixi over the Pre.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtreo View Post
    So, yes, 5" screen may be too big for a phone.
    I use my pre mostly as a PIM and for texting, email, and internet access so the bigger the screen the better. If the device happens to double as a phone it's an added bonus
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post

You should all stop speculating - if you think HP is stupid enough to make a smartphone that there is no potential market for, you are deluding yourselves.

Um.. No offense, sir. But HP has. For years. Have you ever heard of an iPaq?
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    I use my pre mostly as a PIM and for texting, email, and internet access so the bigger the screen the better. If the device happens to double as a phone it's an added bonus
    Yeah, good luck with that. I HOPE you have a significant other now, cause after a 5+" device, you will get NO ATTENTION from the opposing sex...

http://androidandme.com/wp-content/u...mini5_540b.jpg

Review: Dell Streak tablet PC is awkward as a phone
    too big

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    I'd buy it, I need HP Palm to start releasing devices on a consistent basis. They really only need 4 devices to gain a good market share. Releasing updates once a year.
    Here comes mister out of random.

UK Govnah min 125mhz and max 800mhz is the best thing I never knew until now. Try it. It's so so smooth. Keeps the device cool and when your device is cool, it works super fast as 1.2 even at 800mhz. Reasons: even when you are clocking at 1.2, it's fast,but if you can't keep your device cool (which isn't up to you anyways) then when temp gets to a certain level te kernel will indeed bump down your speed. Hence you notice your device becomes slow when hot. Stick with 800mhz and be happy until feb. I am .
    I think that HP plans on bringing all sorts for form factors, in every shape and size to the market. Even this device at 5 inches will target the market dell is seeking. I thinking a slab device around 4 inchs, your portrait and landscape slider, a pixi version, and the tablet. Then I believe they will of course make sure each device is updated regularly and update those devices accordingly yearly. Not a bad idea if they execute them correctly, with the correct hardware and specs.
    Quote Originally Posted by brswa View Post
    Um.. No offense, sir. But HP has. For years. Have you ever heard of an iPaq?
    Of course I did.

The iPaq was a tough competitor for the Treos, although, back then, the market was much smaller.

THe iPaq build quality was superb, and they were expensive phones, to boot. Mostly meant for enterprise customers.. the majority of iPaq owners migrated to Blackberries, along with those who eroded away from the aging Treo line...

Everything changed though, with the iPhone.

Its a new market where the consumers are creating demand, and not so much enterprise domination any more... its almost an equal demand now, versus years before.

The Keynote by Phil Mckinney was very revealing... he brought real clarity, I thought, to the meaning of the phrase "many form factors", and they ap[pear to understand, now, that "one device does not fit everyone".

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    This just proves that no matter what palm does people won't be happy...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Give us a Pre2, a 4in slab, and a 9in tablet. We will all be happy.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast