Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    "Very confidently"
    Heh. Yeah. Maybe toooo confidently.
    iPhone 4: 4.50 x 2.31 x 0.37
    Droid 2: 4.58 x 2.38 x 0.54
    EVO: 4.80 x 2.60 x 0.50
    Droid X: 5.02 x 2.58 x 0.39
    Streak: 6.02 x 3.11 x 0.40

The question is whether the measurement was for the display or the phone's dimensions. Given that this is a rumor, and a poorly written one at that, I would not be surprised if the "close source" (whatever that means) meant dimensions, not display.

"[W]we have heard from one of our close source that Palm is working on a smartphone that will have a display slightly bigger than 5″."
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    HP must do this to compete with the dell streak.

this is from a source within HP
    Because the streak was such a raging success? I hope HP/Palm competes with good products.
    From what was already gleaned from the webos2 doctor Mansion wasn't anywhere to be found. I would be surprised if it's true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I'm just glad I was here to see it! Historic moment!
    And as soon as I delete the post, it didn't happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    LOL. Typical. Everyone says "bigger, faster, better" and it sounds like they just heard the "bigger" part.

Just like the whole "we don't really want Flash anyway" stuff a couple months ago, I wonder how many webOS people who bashed the EVO will be changing their tune and saying how wonderful this is to have such a large screen?
    Don't see many saying "it's wonderful" so far, do you? The Flash issue was always a 50/50 split.

Are you having a bad day today?
    Last edited by C-Note; 11/19/2010 at 04:19 PM.
    5 inches too big, even with the gesture area included. 4 inches is really the max for a phone
    Maybe it's 3.5"
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Actually, my bad, it was reidme's post that got the right forum.

Now I've totally exhausted my one time to be wrong for the year. Will have to be careful for the next 6 weeks...
    You made a good point. I'm quoting this to make sure it's captured for posterity.
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    5 inches too big, even with the gesture area included. 4 inches is really the max for a phone
    Palm Pre's dimensions, including gesture area: 3.96 x 2.34 x 0.67

So basically you're saying that anything larger than the Pre is too big.
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post

wait it is? hmm...well then in that case.. they maybe onto something.

Just hope it has a keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    The Flash issue was always a 50/50 split.
    http://forums.precentral.net/general...all-flash.html

Just adding some fuel to the fire.

As for the 5" device... It's just a rumor. If it's true, I likely won't buy one, but whatever, this is why multiple form factors are made. One size does not fit all. Whoda thunk it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    You made a good point. I'm quoting this to make sure it's captured for posterity.
    Dang. Made my one annual mistake, and got one-upped... all in one day. Next thing you know, I'm going to get a call from Palm saying the new phone is available, and ready to ship - but only on T-Mobile.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I feel a great disturbance in the force. It's as if a thousand voices suddenly cried out about the EVO being too big and suddenly backpedaled in unison.
    Actually, if you look at the other thread, you'll see that most people think 5" is too big. Also, lots of PreCentral folks have expressed a desire for something Evo sized, so no back pedalling required. As for me, I'm more of a 3.5" max kind of guy. It's not how big, but how you use it.
    Let me guess...it's going to be released in the "coming months".
  15. AZ8
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Let me guess...it's going to be released in the "coming months".
    LOL!

That phrase is really being over used by HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post

Not true, at all.

Even a 3.8" diagnal screen phone comes in at almost 4." long, given everything else it has to have. Get a look at the TMobile G2 (an incredible phone)

You should all stop speculating - if you think HP is stupid enough to make a smartphone that there is no potential market for, you are deluding yourselves.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
    LOL!

That phrase is really being over used by HP.
    Seriously. Talk about bad marketing. When EVERYTHING you do is announced as "coming months" people will tend to write you off pretty quick.
    I haven't handled the Dell Streak myself but some folks that I respect have spoken very highly of it. It is a device that I have been told that "you can get some real work done on." There are some that think 5 inches is perfect.
    Ok, so the rumor is that HP is releasing 4 or 5 new devices. So we have:
    Palm Pre 2 (3.1 screen, 1ghz processor)
    Palm Mansion (5.1" screen, dual 1gz processors). I bet it will have video conferencing, etc. It will be a killer superphone device, a superphone in everyway.
    PalmPad (I'll bet 9 inches) (dual 1ghz processors)
    That leaves one or two more. I'll bet:
    1. one is a 4.0 to 4.3 device. (dual 1ghz processors)
    2. If another one, a new pixi type, device? Seems unneeded to me.

That is a great lineup to me. I'll go to the store, play with each, and make a decision based upon how they feel at the time. I can't wait to see what WebOS looks like on a 5 inch screen.
    I remember that not too long ago I thought the Iphone was way too big and I didn't want to carry it. Then I saw the Evo and I thought the same thing, but it didn't seem "that" big and the iPhone no longer feels big at all.
    Will believe it when I hold one in my hands.....
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    all you people sound like my girl..stop crying
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast