Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Dear Mr. Rubinstein;

Please see the images below.

Yes, we heard you about future devices coming today, and that you always want to be "leading edge". We also trust that you know what actually "is" leading edge, however, as you know, we recently held a mock-up competition for the next device and had some REALLY terrific and innovative ideas.

Now, perhaps they were Pie-in-the-sky pipedreams designed by people without any smartphone design experience, but, still, there is value there, as you can see what the tendencies we current WebOS users are looking for in the next smartphone, by those who were voted for and won.

I should probably mention that designing and 3D modeling is something I have been doing for a very long time, so, my efforts are accurately scaled, and based on real live dimensions and component sizes and capacities.

After designing and submitting my own submission, I thought of some additional ideas that I knew would take some time to figure out, and, so I waited for the competition to end to see how everyone voted and who they picked as their favorite, to see what was really the most popular form factor.

It's quite clear that a larger screen landscape keyboard device is going to be quite popular, maybe not by everyone, but, definitely a large percentage of your potential market; my own submission was a portrait keyboard slider that I modelled in 3D , but, it didnt place anywhere near the top; now it was time to do the landscape slider, and that took me over 4 weeks of modelling in my spare time and weekends to conceptually design and refine.

Below are 4 renderings of that effort. The first one is the traditional colored silver phone, and below that are my suggestions for 3 colored frames which you can consider providing or releasing specs for aftermarket providers to make.

Yes, Mr. Rubinstein, we do want the ability to customize our phones, somehow, phsyically. A little color can go along way - especially teenagers - my daughter, 18 years old, thought that the colored frame had huge appeal. The iPhone doesnt do it, nor does any other phone. You want to really appeal to everyone? Give them asethetic choices/flexibility.

The phone is scaled to utilize a 3.8" diagnal screen. Not too big, not too small - this, I believe is the "fat middle" -larger than the iPhone, but smaller than the Evo. Its display proportions are 3:2 so that you can have a 960 x 640 screen.

If you look carefully, the phone has a camera with dual LEDs, and dual speakers (for stereo output) and dual microphones (for noise cancelling) on the front. This is emulated on the back (not shown, but take my word for it).

The battery compartment solves the problem we all have had - difficult disassembly of back covers to get to the battery. This one is a spring loaded slider that is locked with a small deadbolt into the frame when the phone is powered on so you cannot remove the battery and slider. When it is off, the deadbolt is sprung back into an unengaged position, and you can then press the door in until it clicks to diengage the touchlatch on the slider, and the battery cage slides out, providing access to the battery. Note, also, that this battery can be much larger than previous batteries, given the larger phone size (the phone measures .4" thick, 4.39" long, and 2.35" wide, closed).

You will also notice that the top slides to the left to reveal the landscape keyboard - this is as close to a realy QWERTY keyboard as you can get. By far, users definitely want a real, usable keyboard, with high functionality that is close to the full size keyboards we use on our PC's. Dedicated number keys, 2 shift keys, backspace, Ctrl, tab, and yes, a CAPS LOCK. The keys are large and wide and spacious. They are meant to be used when working in landscape mode on the web, or on a document like a spreadsheet or word document.

Now, we know you are an OMAP fan, and the TI OMAP4 processors can drive up to 3 separate displays simultaneously, so....

If you slide the top screen to the right, you will see the hidden secret of this device, and where the real innovation is. I have created a second capacitive screen (1.05" x 3.4" long), with 2 flanking hardware buttons. The screen is meant for game developers to design thier own operating consoles on, so that the user can play the games like they would a PSP or Gameboy with virtual joysticks, or a console of any design the developer wants..this allows the gamer a much better gaming experience, as he will not have to try to use the one screen to play the game AND see behind his/her fingers when he/she is doing so.

This second screen should also have the option of being a capacitive virtual keyboard, if the user wants to use it, or if the developer wants that for his/her application.

It can also be used to set up and control native apps like the camera and video editing program - the potential for this second keyboard here is limitless, and it WILL set this smartphone aside as being "the one to get" - this is the true Superphone that the world can do almost anything with, hardware and software-wise, and developers willl, I believe be dying to enhance thier games and apps for it.

Of course, in portrait mode, you should provide a virtual keyboard... the 3.8" diagnal display will provide 2.1" wide space on screen for a VERY usalbe portrait virtual keyboard.

I've taken to time to extensively design and model this to scale, just to show you what might be possible. Maybe there is an idea or two for you; please remember, this is just a result of what I have observed from the contest and spoken to people about lately, and while you may or may not like the "look", its the concept that is really important here.

So, here you are - I hope this is of some use to you - Im sure other PreCentral members will chime in here with thier comments on what they like and don't like about this, and, THAT, Mr. Rubenstein, is where the REAL value of my effort here is.

If you got this far, thanks...

Now, Im going to get some long needed sleep, and wait for CES.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LCGuy; 11/19/2010 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Spelling JR's name correctly. Thanks, Kupe!
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

This is a nice rendering. I've become accustomed to my portrait slider, but I can go for this landscape slider. The keyboard definitely looks solid, and great for typing long emails & memos. I also love the new battery compartment, I hate taking off the back cover to get to my battery. If i had a choice of different colors, I'd definitely go with red.

Hopefully this post makes it's way to Mr. Rubenstein. Overall, great job!
    Truly impressive work LC...this is the kind of creativity Hp needs to jump back into the smartphone game.
    Gotta say I love imaginary devices. In 3D, no less. And multicolored.

Very nice job on the pics!!!

I did not read the letter, it was too long, plus it wasn't addressed to me anyway
    I would preorder this device. Thanks for your efforts.
    Do not like...

Too large, too heavy and a landscape slider is also a no go.

Thanks, but no thanks.
    I really think you've got something here. I will critique it by saying I wouldn't care for the second touchscreen, it seems like it would end up being a waste of space gimmick. I think its a really innovative idea, but it just doesn't seem that practical.

The general design looks great, it just doesn't have that palm feel to it. If you rounded it out a bit more, and cleared the bottom area of the front face for the gesture area, it could be the hit palm needs.

The pre currently is a real pain because the screen feels quite small, and the keys are really difficult to press for anyone with long nails. This isn't an issue for me, but for women it is definitely not ideal. This is why I think they should consider a bigger screen first and foremost. Even if they did keep it portrait, there would be more room for bigger keys. I think the real solution is a combination of landscape and larger screen though, to give a keyboard you can really jam on.

Overall though, great concept, its really quite unique.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    The general design looks great, it just doesn't have that palm feel to it. If you rounded it out a bit more, and cleared the bottom area of the front face for the gesture area, it could be the hit palm needs.
    I know.. and, Im not sure that the "Palm" look and feel is what the public wants, hence the drastic departure from the "Pre"-style design.

BTW, the gesture area is there, very significantly, with the blue led light and all.. can't you see it? It's 1/2" high and as wide as the phone - probably doesnt look as significant because the screen is much bigger than the Pre, comparitively.

Thanks for looking, and the comment!!

PS.. Id be interested in what teenagers think... so, show this to your sons, daughters, sisters, brothers, etc, and let us know what they think!
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I'd be interested in a WebOS with a landscape keyboard - hope before 2013, we will see one.
    Very nice design, and even though a landscape phone isn't to my taste, I like what you've come up with.

If it makes you feel any better one rumour is that Palm WILL be coming out with a landscape phone. No idea if the rumour is true, but it might happen, so, to quote Ruby himself, be a little patient, and we'll see what they come up with...
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    so, to quote Ruby himself, be a little patient, and we'll see what they come up with...
    That guy always say that along with claims that Android would be a flop - he's got zero credibility at this point.
    We can only wish that your not the only one who came up with this idea. Hopefully, Palm did and is planning on making this phone!
    OK, looks pretty darn cool!

However, I have one question about the horizontal sliding in both directions (for hardware keyboard and second screen). Where in the world does the top (main) screen attach the the lower portion?

It appears as though the only location that would be available to connect the main screen to the bottom of the phone would be that thin silver strip running down the middle of the lower portion of the phone, and based on your pictures it would only be able to attach in the middle (because I see the ends of that silver bar in your pics).

This, to me, would seem to be a very unstable in all three configurations: 1) In normal mode the screen would be wobbly left and right as the only connection to the base of the phone would be singularly be in the center of the device, 2) in the keyboard mode, the main screen would only be attached to the base by the very edge of the screen (again a quarter inch at most), and lastly 3) is the same as #2 but in the second screen configuration.

I really kind of like the design, I don't think I would ever use the second screen as I am not a huge gamer, but there are tons of people out there who are and I think a device similar to this would really appeal to them.

There is a Palm request submission site somewhere, you need to submit this to them and not just post it here. Sure you will most likely get lots of feedback here, but that won't help make something like this a reality.
    I am definitely impressed. I am 28 years old, so not a teen but close enough.

I have to say impressive BUT I can't stand my wifes older landscape keybaords so this would be no different. You put something like this with a portrait keybaord and I am all over it. I would worry a bit about the build quality (oreo) as you slide the phone both ways, where is the hinge? spring? etc. My wife recently came to the Pre from the Samsung Exclaim which is a dual slider. It wobbled a bit if you tried but not as bad as the Pre, and if it can handle her abuse it would probably be fine here...just curious.

But all in all...nice render. Got my vote, even more if it had portrait keybaord. I know it takes time etc, this I am no good at, but could you post a portrait version of it? If not thats fine.

thanks!

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Wow!! Can I have one yesterday plz?!
    "I will go in this way, but I'll find my own way out." -DMB

Dear Lord,
    Please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over standard TCP/IP.
    Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    OK, looks pretty darn cool!

However, I have one question about the horizontal sliding in both directions (for hardware keyboard and second screen). Where in the world does the top (main) screen attach the the lower portion?

It appears as though the only location that would be available to connect the main screen to the bottom of the phone would be that thin silver strip running down the middle of the lower portion of the phone, and based on your pictures it would only be able to attach in the middle (because I see the ends of that silver bar in your pics).

This, to me, would seem to be a very unstable in all three configurations: 1) In normal mode the screen would be wobbly left and right as the only connection to the base of the phone would be singularly be in the center of the device, 2) in the keyboard mode, the main screen would only be attached to the base by the very edge of the screen (again a quarter inch at most), and lastly 3) is the same as #2 but in the second screen configuration.

I really kind of like the design, I don't think I would ever use the second screen as I am not a huge gamer, but there are tons of people out there who are and I think a device similar to this would really appeal to them.

There is a Palm request submission site somewhere, you need to submit this to them and not just post it here. Sure you will most likely get lots of feedback here, but that won't help make something like this a reality.
    Thats the single biggest reason why this type of device would take quite a long time to make it work. They would have to create test models, use them, find out how it can be improve and then go back to the drawling board. I hope HP/Palm thought of this, because releasing this type of phone next year would be awesome.
    Great job, LC. I love the design and as a gamer, the second capacitive scren is great. Could play scrabble with the letters on smaller screen, same with poker games. Great job again.
    personally I think this would a perfect design for a landscape slider. it is scaled to fit a very enticing landscape cell phone. Even the above comments about not fitting a Palm style, which to me is what exactly what we want in this phone. As we all know now with HP we can have more designs pitted for more audiences. This design to me would pit perfect for power droid type users, and buisness users. It also can be a very high end model, being able to incorporate high resolutions, big batterys, and screen realestate that is missing with a portrait version. To me this would be a great addition to HP/Palm's webos lineup IMO. Go ahead and send this Letter ASAP, again very good job.
    Fugly. But imaginative ideas, which are needed. In my opinion, more original than the actual winners of the mock-up contest, who really didn't bring much to the design table, other than nice photoshopping.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast