Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    I will try to make time to render the back side.. this has taken quite a bit of my spare time over the past few weeks.

IF you like portrait sliders, look at my Mockup design entry (scroll down to the bottom thumbnail for the slickest rending with all of the sides) - perhaps that is to your liking more. (I have a back shot of that).

I appreciate the aesthetic opinions. Thanks.

And, yes, of course it has an SD slot, and a Sim card slot like the old Treos did, right on top.

Glad you are closer to the younger crowd.. your thoughts are highly valued!

Thanks for responding!!!

ya, I love your Palm HD, it looks very elegant and high quality. HP should offer you a position. :P
    My last phone was a landscape slider (HTC Herald) and I can only say that I'd much rather steer clear of the form factor in the future - but a configuration like that would certainly make me take a few long, hard looks.

Quote Originally Posted by benthe1 View Post
    I'm sure you would be able to come up with a more marketable design if you were to study the market and focus you ideas to what the market wants. Good luck.
    Not intending to bash on you for voicing your opinion, but doesn't that sound a lot like "make an iPhone that looks like an iPhone and works like an iPhone".

Palm is being yelled at from two different camps: one screaming "INNOVATE, DAMN YOU!", reasoning that only innovation can save Palm, just like revolutionary, never-before-seen devices like an MP3 player or a touchscreen telephone (both invented by Apple, just like the concept of running a program on your phone) saved Apple.

The other camp keeps admonishing: "why try to reinvent the wheel when there's perfectly fine solutions out there already", reasoning that webOS' reliance on, well, the web is too far out there and saying that stuff like this mockup is just too crazy to work in the real world.

It's a bit like the situation in other parts of the debate, where people are licking their fingers for rumored 4.8" Android devices and the sweet usability of that big screen while saying that a 5" Palm phone is far too big for anyone to actually use.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 11/30/2010 at 06:39 AM.
    Really great phone! You should get hired by a company producing such things!
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Palm is being yelled at from two different camps: one screaming "INNOVATE, DAMN YOU!", reasoning that only innovation can save Palm, just like revolutionary, never-before-seen devices like an MP3 player or a touchscreen telephone (both invented by Apple, just like the concept of running a program on your phone) saved Apple.

The other camp keeps admonishing: "why try to reinvent the wheel when there's perfectly fine solutions out there already", reasoning that webOS' reliance on, well, the web is too far out there and saying that stuff like this mockup is just too crazy to work in the real world.
    You forgot the third (and possibly largest) camp: The "PALM, FINISH WHAT YOU STARTED" folks. From as far back as the Treo 600's missing bluetooth, Treo 650's lack of wifi, limited RAM of the Treo 700w, et al, Palm continues to produce promising platforms that fall short on delivery. The latest is webOS with it's elegant design, clever task switching, and simple, open operation and whole raft of (still) missing features that are common on dumbphones and feature phones, let alone smartphones.
    Global Posts
    187 Global Posts
    I love your design. I think a few of the features would not make it- second screen, dual slider, stereo speakers, but overall this is a phone I would buy in a nano second. The thing I really love is the increased battery capacity. I love WebOS and the Touchstone, otherwise I'd probably already have an Epic. I've played with the Epic and like it, but you can't navigate around the phone, menus, and apps with ease like WebOS. We need a phone at least similar to this one soon.
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    My last phone was a landscape slider (HTC Herald) and I can only say that I'd much rather steer clear of the form factor in the future - but a configuration like that would certainly make me take a few long, hard looks.

Not intending to bash on you for voicing your opinion, but doesn't that sound a lot like "make an iPhone that looks like an iPhone and works like an iPhone".

It's a bit like the situation in other parts of the debate, where people are licking their fingers for rumored 4.8" Android devices and the sweet usability of that big screen while saying that a 5" Palm phone is far too big for anyone to actually use.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.
    I agree, Palm is being pulled from many directions - in part because, well, lets face it.. they kind of fell short on their first try hardware wise, and noiw, even though WebOS is truly terrific, it must kick it into overdrive to compete with accellerated hardware and 2nd and 3rd generation smartphone designs with other OS's that have also evolved.

iOS can now at least be "seen" as multitasking by the average user - and thatts good enough for them. If you are new to smartphones, its quite likely that the one that will be most recommended to you will be the iPhone - Palm needs to change that with hardare innovation to match the power and capabilities of WebOS - as a "package" that could get enough critics to rave about it in the media, which could then creat eserious demand in the market for their devices, and then the carriers will fall into line to work with HP and give them some of the respect that WebOS devices should get.

My solutions are attempts to do just that - realistic, buildable, but, with innovative ideas (I think, at least) that set the devices aside in ways that others do not ar cannot do.

The second screen is absolutely vital for gamers - both players and developers - but, thats not all - that screen can be usef for most application set ups, controls, supplemental instructions and feedback. The OMAP4 cpu's support this function without any problem, and I cant imagine how cool it would be to show off WebOS's multitasking funcitojnality with 2 simultaneous screens working at the same time utilizing 2 processors AND with incredible battery power sustainability.

The battery compartment design was a result of soem logical thinking and problem solving - and the other features such as the sterio speakers and dual microphones for noise cancelling will again, not be just a step above, but proivde the user with an incredible user experience, I feel.

I will try to send this email to him this weekend, when I get back from ny business trip - I have a few more ideas for additional smart phone design that I'd like to 3D model as well - but, we'll see jus thow much time I have for that over the coming weeks.

Thanks everyone for the kidn words and the thoughts - whether you liked these or not, you are a potential user, and your opinion counts!!!

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

I love it and wish HP would hire some creative designers like yourself. Can this be done...who knows...I guess the slide mechanism could come for the middle and pivot from the top half of the interface.

I think it is very creative and shame since I'm like most people hear and also want one like YESTERDAY! Sorli...
  9.    #50  
    Sketch;

Well, kinda.. sorta...

My dual screen slides over in one diection to reveal a full landcape keyboard, and in the other direction to reveal a full touch screen for game control/settings with two hardware buttons.

They've done what I THOUGHT of.. put that small touchscreen in between a split keyboard, but, Im not convinced that either the split keyboard or that small touchscreen are usable enough.. I could be wrong, though...

I still think HP should build mine; I think it would be industry changing..

Thanks for remembering this, though!
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Sketch;

Well, kinda.. sorta...

My dual screen slides over in one diection to reveal a full landcape keyboard, and in the other direction to reveal a full touch screen for game control/settings with two hardware buttons.

They've done what I THOUGHT of.. put that small touchscreen in between a split keyboard, but, Im not convinced that either the split keyboard or that small touchscreen are usable enough.. I could be wrong, though...

I still think HP should build mine; I think it would be industry changing..

Thanks for remembering this, though!
    cant forget it... lol... i love the concept and design... i would LOVE to see some iteration of this design implemented by the HP Gods
    This is what we need

12.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    This is what we need

I dont think so... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by bela42 View Post
    Do not like...

Too large, too heavy and a landscape slider is also a no go.

Thanks, but no thanks.
    +1, seems more like something for Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by prethadd81 View Post
    +1, seems more like something for Android.
    Hi all,

At one point there was a sketch floating around this site, of a slider that had a keyboard that pivoted so that you could use it as either landscape or portrait. It was an interesting idea, especially since webOS switches the imagine from landscape to portrait.

I wonder if a pivoting keyboard will ever be produced by HP? It would make both the landscape and portrait camps happy!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

At one point there was a sketch floating around this site, of a slider that had a keyboard that pivoted so that you could use it as either landscape or portrait. It was an interesting idea, especially since webOS switches the imagine from landscape to portrait.

I wonder if a pivoting keyboard will ever be produced by HP? It would make both the landscape and portrait camps happy!

Take care,

Jay
    How about a pivoting screen which is a yen a dozen in Japan.
    Feel free to flame me for this post, I expect it.

I think that a lot of what stops people from even noticing the Pre (-/+/2 etc) is really the look of the thing. Sure, the "river pebble" shape makes it nice to hold, and comfortable to have in the pocket, it doesn't "look good". It seems that the current design trends are straight lines and right angles (iPhone 4, Galaxy S, HTC anything).

Sure, we may have lots of people here singing the praises of industrial design of the Pre family. A LOT of my friends have the iPhone 4. And you know what? None of them would bother going to website forums to talk about their phone.

The phone's body needs to be visually pleasing to attract the masses - they are the easy targets. Us fans are harder to please.
  17.    #58  
    There's no reason for anyone to feel offended by your opinion...

Some like the "Pebble" look and feel, and others won't. No single design will satisfy everyone.. as a designer, I can tell you that for a fact.

I personally believe that there are a good amount of people that did and still do love that "pebble" look and feel, but, that it is a limiting design type, hence my alternative designs for future WebOS smarpthones (you can see the first page of this thread for 3D modleled renderings of one such device of mine).

I tend to think that the members of this forum, being a WebOS user forum, will like, and even prefer the "pebble design" -proof is that we had a competition last year to show proposed new designs and, by far, the users here chose those that still have that "Pebble" look...

So, my suggestion to JR, as per my initial letter, was for him to entertain new styles, formfactors and variety, and I ponied up by backing it up with a ton of myown time to precisely model in 3D, texture, light and then render a WebOS "superphone", in a variety of colors, to boot!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123