Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    These renders are awesome! I would love a landscape webOS slider phone!!!
    I love it...

I also wonder how the slide-dualscreen-keyboard interface would work since the top and bottom half of the phone would have to connect somewhere.

The OMAP Dual/Tri screen option is a definite big thumbs up and would certainly make it stand out above all other phones coming out now or later.

I LOVE the Dual Screen and Keyboard option and also hope HPalm are thinking similar and outside the box. The second screen would be useful on a few levels...like for instance.

1. Gaming - wow the options a possibilities are endless for control interfacing, HUD displays, weapon selection, etc...
    2. Launcher Interfacing - both vertical and horizontal space for quicklaunch icons, multitasking, etc
    3. Virtual Keyboard - have the best of both worlds...Physical Keys on one side and Virtual Keys (for Swype Text Input for Screens)

Wow the options provided by a Dual Screen and Palm can extend their API to support these options hardware specific are HUGE and thanks for the coming up with the idea!!! I just hope HPalm are paying attention and also see how this would make their next offering better then anything else out there. Very Cool Stuff! Sorli....
  3.    #23  
    quick response regarding the sliding keyboard in both directions.

this is a unique central gear design where the gear itself is inside of the top display at both ends of the phone, which are the anchored at their center point (axis of rotation) to the phone base/body with steel tube through which wiring can run. This should be a very solid and smooth/durable slider. You would see the track opening slit on the back of the sliding portion to accommodate for the tubes at each end of the phone ( the back only when it is openend to one side or the other).
    Last edited by LCGuy; 11/18/2010 at 11:05 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    While I prefer a vertical slider, it seems that landscape is the popular choice now. I like being able to hold the phone and type with one hand but I guess most prefer more keyboard space.

Having said that, this device looks great and I would buy it in a heartbeat!
    Wow! Amazing form factor. You created the perfect phone. HP...Hire this person immediately!
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Well done.

I'm a fan of the portrait form factor (for one-handed use) but your landscape mock seems pretty well thought out. I haven't really looked at the details so I won't make any criticism in this post. I will say that I'd love to see you mock a portrait slider that mimics this (one that might rotate 180 degrees to keep the gesture area at the "bottom" or maybe one in which the gesture area is acutally part of the screen - good luck manufacturing that). As discussed previously, probably a huge engineering challenge but a neat concept.

I appreciate that you made room for a bigger battery. For whatever reason, most people equate slimmer/thinner with sexier/more deisrable. Given the lack of advancement in battery technology, a bigger battery seems to be the only way to prolong battery life. I guess a smartphone that can go 24-36 on medium-heavy usage (all radios on) without recharging, is a pretty tall order but I definitely pay the weight and dimensional price for it.

Again, thanks for taking the time to mock this and share it with all of us. Good luck with all the flaming you're certain to receive from some of the trolls
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I really liked your original mockup the Palm HD2. So far a portrait is what I would prefer only due to I haven't had a landscape and the keyboards on the ones I have used haven't been very good.
    I really like the forward thinking and yet reasonable ideas you have shown on both of the mockups. If either of them were made available I would be getting them ASAP. The new mockup looks great with the easy to replace battery and the second display. The thing I really like is the keyboard. A keyboard like a PC has would be a very nice change over what is out there today.
    Hope someone at HP notices your work and contacts you to help them with a new SuperPhone in the very near future.
    with the capacative slider portion whats the need for a Physical keyboard... you can still have your landscape kyboard on the touchscreen...sorta like how the alias 2 and now the zeal do with e-ink ..but the touchscreen obviously has more potential..

also the dual speakers on the front and back are over kill.. you can use that extra space for any number of things, from a front facing camera.. to additional sensors... just my take

great job LC
    I commend your effort, but do not want. I don't forsee a viable design for the slider thoe.
    Open letter; yes. Design Prototype; no.

To each his own.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Sorry LG guy. I see this type of phone always being a concept phone and not a real device on the market. There are too many things that make this unrealistic. Nice idea to complicated for the general public. I'm sure you spent a lot of time creating this but I know that Jon will never see this because whoever filters his emails will look at this and discard it. To be honest, most people want simple, usable devices that aren't too complicated(one reason the iPhone sells so well). WebOS is so intuitive in nature and is fairly simple to use. It's navigation UI is the best which makes it so attractive. Your design is both complicated and unusable. I'm sure you would be able to come up with a more marketable design if you were to study the market and focus you ideas to what the market wants. Good luck.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by benthe1 View Post
    Sorry LG guy. I see this type of phone always being a concept phone and not a real device on the market. There are too many things that make this unrealistic. Nice idea to complicated for the general public. I'm sure you spent a lot of time creating this but I know that Jon will never see this because whoever filters his emails will look at this and discard it. To be honest, most people want simple, usable devices that aren't too complicated(one reason the iPhone sells so well). WebOS is so intuitive in nature and is fairly simple to use. It's navigation UI is the best which makes it so attractive. Your design is both complicated and unusable. I'm sure you would be able to come up with a more marketable design if you were to study the market and focus you ideas to what the market wants. Good luck.
    No ned to apologize for your opinion.. I truly appreciate your thoughts, and I know that they are well intended.. everyone has a unique view of things, for sure, and who's to know who is ultimately right?

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

I think the dual slider is a pretty slick idea but may not be that usable due to the fact that HP/Palm or any company would want least number of moving parts to avoid quality issues.

I would also like a PSP Go like controller buttons instead of the 2nd screen as it is better for gaming AND requires less battery. PRE is notorious for having a bad battery life because people forget it has a battery that is 75% of capacity of a normal battery (for a smart phone) and is thus going to not be as good. Having a 2nd screen while awesome and gives them the edge over other devices it is a bit overkill and difficult to implement and sell.

Even with those two additions removed, I still love the phone especially the stereo speakers which reminds me of my sony ericson mp3 phone (best sound quality for speakerphone). At the end of the day I want it to function great as a phone.
    The battery compartment idea is the best I have seen. What size (capacity) battery can fit in there?

The keyboard also looks very very good. As I said before I would preorder it
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    The battery compartment idea is the best I have seen. What size (capacity) battery can fit in there?

The keyboard also looks very very good. As I said before I would preorder it
    Thanks for the kind words.

The battery is literally double the mass of a 1350 mah battery, so, lets say its at least 2500 mah.

BTW, I LOVE all of this feedeback, yay or nay.... this is what JR will need to see...

Keep it coming, folks, please!

LC,

Before you send your open letter, make sure you correct the spelling of the intended recipient's name.
    First off, can we get more pictures from different angles? and maybe a picture of the back too? i really want to be able to see this beast.

Personally, i've always liked portrait keyboards better, for the look and feel, but i think that is because i've never owned or extensivly used a landscape keyboard. I wish this thing was real so i could hold it and use it to form a better opinion.

Based on the pictures given, i love the overall look of the device. theres just something that bothers me about the top where the speakers are though, i cant put my finger on it. i guess i just like a more polished look on the front of devices, the less shown, the better.

Small asthetic suggestion: Make the accented letters on the keyboard the color of the phone. Like if its blue, make them blue, red to red. ect. and leave the black and silver red because i think red and black looks sick.

Overall bud, this thing looks sick, i would definatly consider buying it if it was real. I'm sure it would be packed with a B.A. processor and memory so that would further better my opinion.

Even though Raul Sood doesnt work for HP anymore, you should send this to him. He may be able to get it into the hands or atleast attension of someone within HP.

And for your use, i just turned 20 today.

P.S. Does it have an SD card slot?
    i love the idea and the second screen, bu i think that Jon will never see this unfortunately. try sending it to one of his Lackeys at the Palm Global Business Unit and maybe it will get seen.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    First off, can we get more pictures from different angles? and maybe a picture of the back too? i really want to be able to see this beast.

Personally, i've always liked portrait keyboards better, for the look and feel, but i think that is because i've never owned or extensivly used a landscape keyboard. I wish this thing was real so i could hold it and use it to form a better opinion.

Based on the pictures given, i love the overall look of the device. theres just something that bothers me about the top where the speakers are though, i cant put my finger on it. i guess i just like a more polished look on the front of devices, the less shown, the better.

Small asthetic suggestion: Make the accented letters on the keyboard the color of the phone. Like if its blue, make them blue, red to red. ect. and leave the black and silver red because i think red and black looks sick.

Overall bud, this thing looks sick, i would definatly consider buying it if it was real. I'm sure it would be packed with a B.A. processor and memory so that would further better my opinion.

Even though Raul Sood doesnt work for HP anymore, you should send this to him. He may be able to get it into the hands or atleast attension of someone within HP.

And for your use, i just turned 20 today.

P.S. Does it have an SD card slot?

I will try to make time to render the back side.. this has taken quite a bit of my spare time over the past few weeks.

IF you like portrait sliders, look at my Mockup design entry (scroll down to the bottom thumbnail for the slickest rending with all of the sides) - perhaps that is to your liking more. (I have a back shot of that).

I appreciate the aesthetic opinions. Thanks.

And, yes, of course it has an SD slot, and a Sim card slot like the old Treos did, right on top.

Glad you are closer to the younger crowd.. your thoughts are highly valued!

Thanks for responding!!!
    Last edited by LCGuy; 11/19/2010 at 04:17 PM.

19.    #39  
    One more render from another perspective - this one has my HD2 MockUp entry in it, as well, for comparison.
    Attached Images Attached Images

1. Thank you so much for all of the hard work you put into creating the design. (My hat is also off to all that partook in the mock up contest)....

2. I see I'm not the only one who would be interested in a larger webOS device. However, I am old school Palm, since it is now more than 8 years I have been a loyal Palm user...therefore, I am only interested in a webOS PDA/Smartphone that has a keyboard.

3. I am finally eligible to get a new PDA/Smart Phone, (I still have my almost 26 month old Centro, (it had a 2 year contract that ended approx 6 weeks ago).

Like many of you out there, I am eagerly waiting to see what CES being us. I am expecting a HUGE announcement from HP Palm Jan 3rd of next year.

Due to the large influx of $ into Palm, I am expecting Palm to have an extremely large booth with slick presentations. I also expect there will be a lot of working units from the 5 to 6 soon to be released webOS devices.

I also expect to see the booth very heavily "manned" with personnel.

I am SURE Palm will be a lot less COY about upcoming products once CES 2011 starts. After all the entire world of electronics will be watching!

Take care and once again you did a GREAT presentation of your mock up, (sign me up for one ASAP).

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast