1.    #1  
    I offer this challenge to HP and Developers. Can a smartphone app be developed to shut down when it senses movement while driving? Although we hear more and more MVA deaths due to cell phone usage in the car this has now become personal for me. My family has now been affected by this increasing tragedy seen almost daily on the news. The death of my 15 year old nephew is associated with another's cell phone usage while driving. It would seem if Smartphones are Smart........this could be developed.
    there is a device you can get that jams the phone when the car reaches a certain speed. It has a monthly subscription, as well. I saw it on the news recently, but I don't recall the name.

edit:

here is one product. I know there are several. the thing I wonder about is whether it jams the phones in cars travelling in the lane next to a car with this device...

http://www.nofonzone.com/
    So someone who is a passenger on a car, bus, or train shouldn't be allowed to use their phone either?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    So someone who is a passenger on a car, bus, or train shouldn't be allowed to use their phone either?
    I think it attaches to the car, so it wouldn't be taken on a car or bus. apparently they are low enough power to only have an effective radius of a few feet.
  5.    #5  
    Not trying to remove privledges from all. This is really becoming more a cultural issue with our need to know information at a split second. Just hoping safety can rise above impulsivity.
    Still would affect anyone not driving the vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by wushu2004 View Post
    Still would affect anyone not driving the vehicle.

if the passenger is an adult/parent, it could be disabled.

I'm not saying I think this is something I'd want in my cars, I was just answering the OP question. I'm more in the camp that says "stop letting young drivers have cell phones at all." but that just makes me a crabby old fart.

I have one more child to reach driving age, and I'm sure there will be lots of technology to solve this by then.
    I've been bad about phone use while driving - not so much making calls as taking them. Since I've gotten my Pre, it seems it's gotten more complicated, so I got a Parrot speaker phone. Even using that feels weird while driving. I'm about at the point where I'm going to say, "screw it, they can leave a voicemail."

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    if the passenger is an adult/parent, it could be disabled.

I'm not saying I think this is something I'd want in my cars, I was just answering the OP question. I'm more in the camp that says "stop letting young drivers have cell phones at all." but that just makes me a crabby old fart.

I have one more child to reach driving age, and I'm sure there will be lots of technology to solve this by then.
    If the OP is referring to something that could be enabled/disabled by a parent, then I'm fine with that.

If, on the other hand, we're talking about something that automatically disables the device any time it's in motion then I have a real problem with that.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    The bottom line: ban texting while driving and make the punishment as or more serious than drunk driving, raise the driving age by two years, and lower the drinking age by three years.
    The sad thing is that people need an app or device to prevent them from using their smartphone while driving. It's not the phones fault. It's the ******** people using their phones while driving. I got T boned by an old lady in her 70s because she was on the phone.
    I say ban all phone usage while driving, except taking calls with a hands-free devices (bluetooth).

My Themes:CLICK HERE