Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Rubinstein's talking points in the Web 2.0 interview yesterday were so similar to what he has said before that it highlights what little Palm has accomplished in the market this year. I'm not talking about saving itself from financial ruin or other internal metrics they might have achieved which are transparent to the end user. I'm talking about what they brought to the market and their customers in 2010 - a truly remarkable year for smartphones.

So, what are Palm's accomplishments for 2010?
    zilch. palm has been and will be a complete and total non-factor in the smartphone market for all of 2010. they HAD a chance to do a little something with the Pre 2, but missed the boat big time on that one.
    I don't know if this is a serious question. But I'll give you an answer. Nothing of public note. They were out of money and on the ropes and that sucked all of the wind out of their sails. Why is it so hard to understand that "no money" equals little to no options. And yes, it was their fault... though the PalmSource spinoff garbage was the time IMHO where they came off the tracks. Most of the current regime was not responsible for that debacle.

If they come back at all in 2011 it will be because of what is being done now. Listening to some of the comments out here, it seems as if nobody should ever develop a smartphone ever again because there is no more room for innovation - all of the good stuff has already been done.

The worst thing they could have done was to rush something out 'just because'. They have a hole to dig out of and no shortcut will get them out any sooner. They need to do it the old fashioned way and it will take more than a few months to do it right. (Can't even produce a baby in less than 9 months)

Someone once suggested shutting down the patent office many years ago for the very same reason.... all of the inventions have been done already. They were wrong too.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    They brought HP!
    Damn UntidyGuy. I never really thought about that until just now. Not much has happened with Palm in 2010...
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    PDK games... Um Video recording .. The pre plus that's about it.....
    i have a friend who works for palm hp and the pre 2 is just to remind people that palm is still there that what is coming after the pre2 will be the real game changers
    @C-Note

I don't completely agree. I think rolling out additional carriers and recovering from bad moves set the stage. Being attractive enough to get acquired and make it happen quickly.

I agree that 2010 was sort of like when teams talk about a "rebuilding year" and that's a lot of what 2010 was, but I think they managed to at least pull out a season over .500

Don't forget how homebrew came in to it's own. Preware, Overclocking, tons of patches, themes, and apps.

Sure, Palm didn't do those things. Sure, some of those shouldn't have been necesary because they should have been in the core of webOS already.

But, they made it possible, supported it, didn't do things that screwed it up (on purpose or by accident). They advanced the platform, the OTA capabilities, Mobile Hot Spot, and APIs. All of which will pay dividends going forward.

So their contribution in many ways was to double down on the good stuff (like openness) when Android and Apple struggle to limit hacking. They proved it is a viable strategy, and a key differentiator. I know my Pre+ is much more powerful than it was in January. Some of that came from Palm (video recording, PDK, etc) and much came from homebrewers that Palm enabled/supported in increasing measure throughout 2010.

It wasn't a great year, but it was all movement in the right direction. Given that more than 80% of the worldwide smartphone market has yet to emerge, and the fact that smartphone users buy new devices every year or two (very much like the auto industry) there is ample opportunity for 2011 to be the "year of the Palm" just like 2010 was the "year of Android" and the previous year was "year of the iphone".

I'm encouraged by the direction the ship is heading.

ps, don't forget to make a donation to WebOS Internals during their fund-raiser - so they can have uberkernel ready when 2.0 arrives. If they hadn't come up with overclocking, I'd probably have gone back to my Centro.
    Quote Originally Posted by longhornm24 View Post
    i have a friend who works for palm hp and the pre 2 is just to remind people that palm is still there that what is coming after the pre2 will be the real game changers
    Ok dude. Whatever you say.

I have a friend who works at Sprint and he told me that HPalm was going to come out with another device that may or may not be on their network, but would definitely be able to be used as a telephony device, PLUS internets access. He said he would send me an internet later this afternoon to let me know the details, but I can't go into it.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by longhornm24 View Post

Today's zen question:

If you release a phone and nobody notices, have you released a phone?
    PDK support, 3D gamming, and free Mobile Hotspot for Verizon customers....
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Today's zen question:

If you release a phone and nobody notices, have you released a phone?
    Next question:

If you release a really good phone and everyone whines about it, does that mean it must have Palm on the back?
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    ...He said he would send me an internet later this afternoon to let me know the details, but I can't go into it.
    How exactly can he seen you an internet? Does he get them from Al Gore? Can he send me one too?

thank you
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Next question:

If you release a really good phone and everyone whines about it, does that mean it must have Palm on the back?

By 'everyone', I think you mean "tech nerds like us" - let face it, who else cares?
    don't know about the smartphone world but in the tablet space they will be bringing a blatant rip off of their OS by RIM with the upcoming playbook tablet.

sorry, I know, wrong thread...but because of webOS it looks like rim will release a might tablet device.

if rim succeeds with their tablet, they can thank palm hp.

btw, hope hp blocks this some way...
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    dbtw, hope hp blocks this some way...
    Not likely. Even cases of blatant patent infringement are usually issues of some future licensing amount or some future reciprocity for other intellectual property. It will have no effect, whatsoever, on the availability of a RIM tablet or what features it will have.

You can't be serious that RIM owes the playbook to webOS, are you? You're either going to have to let it go or it will just die away in a whimper.
    Palm or Hp or HP/Palm. I just want to be sure before I comment on this topic.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    Palm or Hp or HP/Palm. I just want to be sure before I comment on this topic.
    Let's just say the smartphone company that Rubinstein has been in charge of. It's just that I as I was listening to him, yesterday, talking about what HP Palm was going to do next year, I realized that Palm didn't do anything this year.
    @ Cantaffordit

How are you doing you seemed to disappear for a while? Always appreciate your comments, generally they are fair without being a Palm homer and not the pessimistic "I'm fed up" c-a-r-p <g> which seems to frequent these forums.

Small difference of opinion on the timing of the problems. Seems like the split was a move in the interest of boosting stock value instead of any real move to better their position in the marketplace. Especially since the then 'new' software division didn't do "Jack" after the split... but dilute their momentum.

They could have recovered with the moves you mentioned but by then had hemorrhaged so much that by the time of the Pre they needed to pitch a perfect game... which they obviously didn't

Those of us who are honest have no problem saying that they have had a tough time of it up to and including now and have not lived up to anything near potential. (No, the Pre is not a better phone than a new Droid X or iPhone 4)

Those of us who are realistic know that it will not be a slam dunk for them to climb back into prominence. (The competition is not going to stand still to wait for them to catch up)

Those of us who are experienced know that it is very possible for them to make it work. (Depends on HP's long term commitment and willingness to invest)

Much of the rest is driven by an inflated sense of self or a personal bias disguised as impartial analysis.

I agree with the rest.. if 2011 is a big year it will be a credit to doing things right THIS year instead of continuing to rush half baked stuff to market. Funny what you can afford to do when you are not strapped financially.
    @C-Note

LOL you are spot on.

Also, I was away for few months with family stuff. And now I'm looking for a job, so I seem to be distracted by P|C more - which isn't a good thing.

It's always good to be helping people asking questions. The "opinion" threads are generally pretty painful.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast