Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 62
  1. #41  
    they didnt bring anything that could of or would of attract new customers. dont think any big devs are going to be jumping on webos bandwagon any time soon.

    yes, ive been doing the negative comments. if we dont biatch, we wont be heard and nothing will change. just seeing if i can get the process rolling a little faster.

    id like to see more support for webos other than homebrew stuff.
  2. #42  
    2010 was a lost year - the first half spent looking for a financier while whipping up a product on a shoestring budget, the second half spent scrapping the old devices and integrating engineers into new teams working on new products.
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    I guess it would be fair to leave this question with a "No Comment" until the end of 2010.
    There were some comments suggesting that it was unfair to ask this question until the end of 2010 so I brought it back
  4. #44  
    A new Pre 2 that did not generate enough interest nor carriers. Palm needs to work on their marketing(yes I'm a broken record, so be it).

    The Pre 2 can still be salvaged in 2011 though. Provided HP Palm will now finally get their ^%$ in gear and sell like other phone manufacturers do. You see phone ads pounded into your head left and right, no Palm phone ads in sight though anywhere.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    There were some comments suggesting that it was unfair to ask this question until the end of 2010 so I brought it back
    That made me laugh!

    I think I can safely way that the biggest thing that Palm brought to the smartphone world is..... Hewlett-Packard. Putting the largest computer maker in the world into the fastest growing market... that's a major contribution even though the real payoff is still to come. Just having HP's name on the radar is significant.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    That made me laugh!

    I think I can safely way that the biggest thing that Palm brought to the smartphone world is..... Hewlett-Packard. Putting the largest computer maker in the world into the fastest growing market... that's a major contribution even though the real payoff is still to come. Just having HP's name on the radar is significant.
    I am still waiting for any tangible evidence of this. It didn't help the Zeen, the Slate, or the Pre 2. cellular providers around the world, including those in Palm and HP's own backyard, were not impressed. Developers have not jumped on the HP bandwagon. In fact, they have been jumping off. The brain-trust behind wOS was not impressed. All-in-all, I can't think of a single thing that has benefited from HP pitching its hat into the ring.

    Still waiting...
  7. #47  
    In case it hasn't been said.

    Pluses!!! and the Pre2 IS available some places. So is WebOS2
    Verizon, ATT... unlocked pre2...

    So while it hasn't been stellar, there have been changes.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

    My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
  8. #48  
    What did Palm bring to the smartphone world in 2010?
    Broken promises and mass exodus...
    Where is my webOS2.0 ruby its 2011 now???
  9. #49  
    They distributed a lot of talented people to Nokia, Google, Microsoft. and Apple.
  10. #50  
    What did Palm bring to the smartphone world in 2010?
    -About 4000 apps which is about a weeks worth for any other platform. [including WM7]

    -Proof that just because the [and I'm quoting] "biggest company in the tech industry ever" buys something it doesn't mean they have any clue how to use or do anything intelligent with it.

    -Proof that developer interest truly can get lower than zero.

    -Further proof that unfulfilled promises and silence in the tech world is a great way to cause marketshare to drop to nothing.

    -Proof that, while the stuff listed below sounds good on paper, it doesn't mean jack **** in the real world. Certainly without the proper implementation
    3D Games
    Ares Development Kit
    PDK development Kit
    Hybrid PDK/SDK development kit
    Here's another one for ya

    -Proof that 3D games cannot be your main selling point when it comes to mobile phones.


    -Proof that hpalm has a sense of humor [Pre 2]
  11. #51  
    So... the Samsung selled more than 10 Milion Galaxy S in all World.

    Why?

    Because the Samsung WAS SELLING IN ALL WORLD!!!

    If the HP begun to sell in all countries, can to be a good start...

    Until now, the Anatel (the brazilian "FCC") received NOTHING from H/Palm...


    Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  12. #52  
    wow theres alot of bashing in here lol. Though as of 2010 they brough nothing to the smartphone world really, and we cant judge what HP has done with webos yet, because nothing has been released under HP yet (the pre 2 is still palm). So Ill have to wait until they release the first HP webos device wether it be a tablet, or smartphone until then ill be waiting too. Though it seems there are alot of bitter people here, did Palm and rub steal your lunch money or something lol, you better hope Android never stumbles...never.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I am still waiting for any tangible evidence of this. It didn't help the Zeen, the Slate, or the Pre 2. cellular providers around the world, including those in Palm and HP's own backyard, were not impressed. Developers have not jumped on the HP bandwagon. In fact, they have been jumping off. The brain-trust behind wOS was not impressed. All-in-all, I can't think of a single thing that has benefited from HP pitching its hat into the ring.

    Still waiting...
    I agree, and I'm waiting hopefully as well. I can't say they will produce success, but I think it's fair to say that getting a company of that size to spend resources to buy and turn around Palm and enter the smartphone market means that HP didn't have something else they could do that would forecast a higher ROI than Palm/webOS.

    For every dollar they spent on the acquisition, they will probably spend 10 more to integrate and develop the products that come from the purchase. The other thing to remember is that HP may not measure success the way we would. They could use webOS to produce something they need and do it for $1.2billion to buy Palm, and that might be $2billion less than it would have cost to do it from scratch. Spend $1billion instead of $3billion would be a major win to HP stockholders even if it wasn't related to phones.

    I sure hope that isn't true, but it's possible. Years ago I was with a company that IBM bought in a hostile takeover. IBM got their return on the purchase in less than half the time they had projected. The acquisition was considered successful internally and on wall street. But most of their customers went to a competitor, and saw it as IBM ruining a great set of products.

    Let's hope this turns out more like Cisco's acquisition of Linksys and less like some other acquisitions we've seen by giant tech companies like IBM.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    wow theres alot of bashing in here lol. Though as of 2010 they brough nothing to the smartphone world really, and we cant judge what HP has done with webos yet, because nothing has been released under HP yet (the pre 2 is still palm). So Ill have to wait until they release the first HP webos device wether it be a tablet, or smartphone until then ill be waiting too. Though it seems there are alot of bitter people here, did Palm and rub steal your lunch money or something lol, you better hope Android never stumbles...never.
    We can judge what HP has done precisely because they have done nothing that is publicly known or available.

    The Pre 2 and WebOS 2.0 appear to be all Palm, given the underwhelming reaction, missing features, and obvious bugs already being reported. HP has clearly announced that phones and tablets are coming "this year", but so has everyone other competitor.

    And unlike HP Palm, they showing tangible signs of progress whether it be Playbook demos, Honeycomb tablet announcements and demos, or rumors of what's coming in the iPad 2 this April.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    We can judge what HP has done precisely because they have done nothing that is publicly known or available.

    The Pre 2 and WebOS 2.0 appear to be all Palm, given the underwhelming reaction, missing features, and obvious bugs already being reported. HP has clearly announced that phones and tablets are coming "this year", but so has everyone other competitor.

    And unlike HP Palm, they showing tangible signs of progress whether it be Playbook demos, Honeycomb tablet announcements and demos, or rumors of what's coming in the iPad 2 this April.
    correct as I stated they have released nothing regarding HP webos yet, only rumors of coming months. So Im saying we cant judge on PRODUCTS yet, if there are no products out right. Im in the same boat as everyone else in saying show me something a pic, a spec sheet, release dates like competitors, but since no ones has that yet, how can one judge on what is to come besides their utter silence? Also Im not sure how they did with their IPAQ line of smartphones when they were coming soon (who would care anyway though) but HP is def not like other smartphone companies, in a sense of giving us peeks of new products. Though I for one would like them to start doing so.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    wow theres alot of bashing in here lol. Though as of 2010 they brough nothing to the smartphone world really, and we cant judge what HP has done with webos yet, because nothing has been released under HP yet (the pre 2 is still palm). So Ill have to wait until they release the first HP webos device wether it be a tablet, or smartphone until then ill be waiting too. Though it seems there are alot of bitter people here, did Palm and rub steal your lunch money or something lol, you better hope Android never stumbles...never.
    It isn't bashing when we are giving serious examples of failure.
    It's just reality.
    If we were coming on here and just saying "palm sucks omg f palm" or something then yeah, it would be bashing.

    And yes, we can judge HP for their complete and utter failure thus far.

    Because that's what it's been.
    6 months and nothing.
    At all.







    Side note: Stop trying to redirect the failures of palm/hpalm/webos by pointing the finger at Google/Android.
    That's the kinda crap that Apple supporters do.
    And either way it's completely irrelevant to the conversation.
  17. #57  
    2010 is over
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    2010 is over
    Since this is a thread about Palm's performance in 2010, I fail to see your point. You might enjoy the threads that speculate on Palm's glowing future rather than hang around in threads that consider the harsh realities of the recent past up to now.
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Since this is a thread about Palm's performance in 2010, I fail to see your point. You might enjoy the threads that speculate on Palm's glowing future rather than hang around in threads that consider the harsh realities of the recent past up to now.
    i can enjoy whatever threads i want to
  20. #60  
    Almost every speculation thread degenerates into what Palm did wrong, eventually.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions