Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I guess it would be fair to leave this question with a "No Comment" until the end of 2010.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    I guess it would be fair to leave this question with a "No Comment" until the end of 2010.
    I'll be happy to give them credit for whatever they have planned for the rest of this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'll be happy to give them credit for whatever they have planned for the rest of this year.
    I think I'm going to post that I'm going to defer my post until such time as I am ready to post in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I think I'm going to post that I'm going to defer my post until such time as I am ready to post in the future.
    no! Pls post now :P
    As I interpret the original question, this is about what Palm brought to the smartphone world in general, not what Palm did to survive. That is a good question that can be asked about a lot of players out there. Innovation comes rarely in this industry.

I would say that RIM has done nothing but exists for the past little while. Nokia has contributed little. MS, on the other hand, has introduced a whole new platform. I don't know that the platform actually brings anything new to the table, but it is at least, something different to look at.

I would be hard pressed to tell you what Google brought to the table in the past year. A software update? Speech to text? That's something. Apple... you can fill in the blanks.

That brings us back to Palm. They were not even a ripple in the smartphone pond, this year. But what about since the beginning of the Pre? What has Palm brought to the smartphone table since its birth? That may be a better question. What did they bring that the industry wouldn't have if it wasn't for the Pre and wOS?
    true multitasking.

synergy.

openly embraced homebrew community, even using some of our patches in official os upgrades.

top notch notification system.

precentral.net

lessons on how not to release hardware and advertise and make exlusive contracts with smaller carriers

that was 2009
    the last question asked was what has the pre bought since it's Birth...
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    true multitasking.
    There is no such thing. Palm did use (not invent) a better metaphor for multitasking.

synergy.
    I'll give you that.

openly embraced homebrew community, even using some of our patches in official os upgrades.
    I'm pretty sure the Android community can lay some claim to that. Even though the iPhone jailbreak community is not embraced by the mother ship, It is arguably the largest and most cutting edge community of its kind. It even has its own store and infrastructure. Palm mostly embraces homebrew because those are the only developers for wOS Palm does have to bribe or beg to write for them.

top notch notification system.
    I'll give you that one, too.

precentral.net
    As much as love PC.N, I have to say there are some outstanding fan sites out there. Try howardforums.com for the ultimate smartphone forum board. Also, Treo Central was around long before PC.

lessons on how not to release hardware and advertise and make exlusive contracts with smaller carriers
    Can't argue with you there.

As for the things I give the Pre credit for, I'm not sure they wouldn't have happened anyway. Notifications, app switching, pulling contacts from social networks... This is not the stuff of a hit product.

I think the real test is how much the product informs consumer behavior and expectations, and how much it influences competitor products that follow. The industry was not exactly marching to the beat of Palm's innovative drum. But those are nice notifications.
    Palm Pre Plus

Palm Pre 2

WebOS 2.0
    Palm Pre Plus
    Pixi Plus
    Release on Verizon
    Release on At & T
    Mobile Hotspot
    Paid Apps
    3D Games
    Video Recording
    Releasing the Pre all over Europe and China
    Ares Development Kit
    Facebook App development
    PDK development Kit
    Hybrid PDK/SDK development kit (will be talked about at NYC developer meeting, its still 2010)
    WebOS 1.4.5
    WebOS 2.0
    Palm Pre 2
    Almost going out of business and then persuading the biggest company in the tech industry ever to buy you.

Man the guys at Palm are so lazy. *rolls eyes*
    I'm suddenly reminded of that Chris Rock routine where he makes fun of people for bragging about taking care of their kids and going to work.
    definitely didn't bring groundbreaking hardware 2011 FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I'm suddenly reminded of that Chris Rock routine where he makes fun of people for bragging about taking care of their kids and going to work.
    What'daya want? A cookie?

Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I would say that RIM has done nothing but exists for the past little while.
    Don't forget RIM introduced a new platform too. How good it is i'll leave to others.

Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    But what about since the beginning of the Pre?
    Can't really answer that in specifics other then to say, Not enough to stay in nearly enough consumers minds.
    I think we want to much to fast. I'm the same way, a phone isn't just a phone anymore its a toy, but theres so much R&D involved in making a device that practically controls your entire life, perhaps a new one every year isn't necessary.
    What did they bring in 2010? Proof that in 2011, the technologies behind Android and iOS will be put on notice. Enyo is coming. This is a bigger accomplishment in the scheme of things than a new device would have been.
    Enyo does seem very sweet I must admit.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Palm Pre Plus
    Pixi Plus
    Release on Verizon
    Release on At & T
    Mobile Hotspot
    Paid Apps
    3D Games
    Video Recording
    Releasing the Pre all over Europe and China
    Ares Development Kit
    Facebook App development
    PDK development Kit
    Hybrid PDK/SDK development kit (will be talked about at NYC developer meeting, its still 2010)
    WebOS 1.4.5
    WebOS 2.0
    Palm Pre 2
    Almost going out of business and then persuading the biggest company in the tech industry ever to buy you.

Man the guys at Palm are so lazy. *rolls eyes*
    They certainly were busy - they just weren't particularly innovative.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Enyo does seem very sweet I must admit.
    What is Enyo?
    The new generation of Ares/Mojo....look it up on the main page, there's an article on it somewhere Developer's Day had a big highlight on it. They took the classic email app(I don't mean CLASSIC, just the original Pre email app) and they shortened the boot time from 7 to 1 seconds with this new framework for apps called Enyo. Supposedly cleaner, easier, less memory leaks etc.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast