Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It seems every time someone from HP starts talking about wOS, printers are brought up. The only thing HP seems to care more about than tablets is wOS printers. What is a wOS printer?

Perhaps it is just me, but it seems like printers, in general, are on a decline. I need to print so seldom, my printer is no longer connected to my system. When my printer runs out of ink, I just let it sit there for months until I absolutely have to print something, and can't find a more convenient way to do it. Are printers in that much demand, or are they on the decline?

Also, why put a powerful OS on a printer? Why not just offer printer drivers for devices? Why not do something like Apple's AirPrint? Why do I need a whole printer OS to print from any networked device?

Ruby talked about printers today, but said nothing useful. I did get the impression that HP will be counting printers as wOS devices when promoting the OS to developers. What third party apps do printers need?

The whole, wOS on a printer idea, sound half-baked, and uninspired. All I can figure is that HP is a printer company. They see everything as a vehicle to sell printers. Someone please tell me how this won't be a joke, and the **** of jokes.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    It seems every time someone from HP starts talking about wOS, printers are brought up. The only thing HP seems to care more about than tablets is wOS printers. What is a wOS printer?

Perhaps it is just me, but it seems like printers, in general, are on a decline. I need to print so seldom, my printer is no longer connected to my system. When my printer runs out of ink, I just let it sit there for months until I absolutely have to print something, and can't find a more convenient way to do it. Are printers in that much demand, or are they on the decline?

Also, why put a powerful OS on a printer? Why not just offer printer drivers for devices? Why not do something like Apple's AirPrint? Why do I need a whole printer OS to print from any networked device?

Ruby talked about printers today, but said nothing useful. I did get the impression that HP will be counting printers as wOS devices when promoting the OS to developers. What third party apps do printers need?

The whole, wOS on a printer idea, sound half-baked, and uninspired. All I can figure is that HP is a printer company. They see everything as a vehicle to sell printers. Someone please tell me how this won't be a joke, and the **** of jokes.
    Do you work? When HP talks about webOS printers, they are not really thinking about you. The world is bigger then your basement.
    I thought emailing to print was a good idea....or just use bluetooth. As long as you can print from whatever webos/other device you have, don't see the need for all of webos on printers, atleast not for consumers.

hp is to palm as sabre is to dunder mifflin.
    I believe there is a tone of profit in ink cartridges.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Do you work? The world is bigger than your basement.
    You quoted my whole post and had this to say?

Are you suggesting that the printer strategy for wOS is the enterprise? An interesting idea, but it doesn't address my question. If you just want to attack me, do it in a PM. Thanks for staying on topic.
    Use more ink!
  7.    #7  
    Let me break down the question into smaller bites. What is the benefit of putting a powerful OS on a printer? I work from a computer, of phone, or pad. I see something that I want to print. All I should have to do is hit "print" and go pick it up out of the printer.

I don't want my printer to be the computer. I don't want to have to input information into the printer to print movie tickets. I don't want to try and deal with an application on the printer. All I want to do is hit "print" from whatever device I am working on.

That is my vision of printing, even in the work place. What is HP's vision?
    You quoted my whole post and had this to say?

Are you suggesting that the printer strategy for wOS is the enterprise? An interesting idea, but it doesn't address my question. If you just want to attack me, do it in a PM. Thanks for staying on topic.
    HP is bigger than the home user wanting to print movie tickets. Your comment shows a singular lack of realizing the big picture. "You don't print much so why does HP need wOS printers". Thus the question, do you work. If you work, or work at a large corp you would realize the importance of printing. There will be some who come on here and cry "green", nevertheless it's true.
  9.    #9  
    OK, Sin. So you are saying this is not a consumer, but corporate play. You could have just said that without the attitude. Now, please explain to me how this benefits corporate users? As I have also been the corporate user, I still can't see what wOS brings to the table. HP hasn't done a good job of explaining the vision, yet you seem to understand it. Please, elucidate.
    it is more common that devices have touch screens instead of buttons. They also are getting smarter so they can do more without being connected to a PC.

webOS gives them a great UI, consistent across devices, ability for them to communicate, and for new uses to emerge from this new power.

how is that for starters.

note, I'm not saying it's gonna work, just that I can see their logic.
    OK, Sin. So you are saying this is not a consumer, but corporate play. You could have just said that without the attitude. Now, please explain to me how this benefits corporate users? As I have also been the corporate user, I still can't see what wOS brings to the table. HP hasn't done a good job of explaining the vision, yet you seem to understand it. Please, elucidate.
    I apologize for the smart tone. I think Cantaffordit explained it the best so far. As far as the home user is concerned, we are just ink cartridges to HP.
    I'd actually like to see webOS on printers. I think it would play out very well. Think about it. You want to print something from your computer, laptop, or webOS device. You send it through the cloud (im assuming thats where we are headed) into your printer, wirelessly and instantly. Your documents come up in card view on a screen maybe the size of the Pre, if not bigger. You can flip through the cards (your documents), focus on one for editing. Maybe add preloaded templates that will be placed in the OS. Maybe you can link these documents to others previous documents (in a stack formation maybe) and have them printed right there for you, sent to another printer, or sent to another device.

I feel with how user friendly webOS is, it would actually be interesting to have on a printer. I personally hate the printers and copiers at my job (UPS). Our world pretty much revolves around printed documents. I think webOS and HP's focus on the cloud can open up many doors, with printers being just another tool.

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    it is more common that devices have touch screens instead of buttons. They also are getting smarter so they can do more without being connected to a PC.

webOS gives them a great UI, consistent across devices, ability for them to communicate, and for new uses to emerge from this new power.

how is that for starters.

note, I'm not saying it's gonna work, just that I can see their logic.
    I need to learn how to sum up my posts LoL. You pretty much said what I was trying to.

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    There are many usages,if webOS on a printer...let me just list down some,correct me if I'm wrong.I think the main point is,HP want do something like you can print without a PC...

1)you can just plug in your pendrive to the printer and print...got error in your document and no computer nearby???no worries,you can edit it using the QuickOffice for webOS

2)what if you print 100pages of reports?you gonna wait there?or you can browse your facebook and Yelp for some interesting stuffs.or watching movie...

3)and of course,you can browse the internet and print web pages or pictures in your facebook fast...

4) scan your books or magazine and documents and attach/ to email...edit it and send it to others directly,no pc needed in the process...how nice...

and etc....I think it can do more things we can think...Furthermore,to clarify here...many people need printers,especially Uni students and corporate...we love it so bad...
    Last edited by sylau90; 11/16/2010 at 07:43 PM.
    I agree with Cantaffordit. Buttons on printers are out. Touchscreens are in. It seems HP feels that they can implement a new user experience with webOS on printers. Kind of similar to how touchscreen computer like devices are entering the automotive world.

I think the vision is that one can go straight to the printer and look up whatever it is you need to print and print it.

Probably will not work for all. But if you have to have a printer, why not one that has an interface you are very familiar with?

I also don't think this is HP's only plan with webOS. Integration between devices is key.

I also hope that we will see the automotive integration as well. WeeGo over MeeGo.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    IDK what HP intentions are but, currently we use a canon multifunction device with its own OS where one could create apps for the device to perform certain functions above the default ones.

When it arrived it was capable of integrating into our windows environment, need to send that doc that just arrived in the mail to a client NP scan, convert to pdf and email right from the device. Need to track expenses per department on who uses what not an issues.

Need to be able to send documents to the device and print out later np its came equipped with a 500gb hard drive. Need to create reports for people who general do not deal with email and such, its covered since the device it self had the ability have "mail" boxes on per user bases and as such said user can walk up check his box print his reports and off he goes.

Crap just got a need it printed now email on my phone no time to run to my desk and login, fire up email, send to printer, instead forward the email to the device and bam its printed.

The list goes on what these devices can do, especially if you pay devs to create apps for the device the one we have has a 6" display I believe. Adding webos to such a device would expand what they are capable of by a ton.
  17.    #17  
    I know a lot of people responded. I am just going to reply to this one as it covers a lot of things others have said, or hinted at.

Quote Originally Posted by sylau90 View Post
    There are many usages,if webOS on a printer...let me just list down some,correct me if I'm wrong.I think the main point is,HP want do something like you can print without a PC...
    Why would anyone want to print without a PC, smartphone, or pad?

1)you can just plug in your pendrive to the printer and print...got error in your document and no computer nearby???no worries,you can edit it using the QuickOffice for webOS
    How would you know about the error if you didn't see it on your computing device? Why not just whip out your phone and make the correction?

2)what if you print 100pages of reports?you gonna wait there?or you can browse your facebook and Yelp for some interesting stuffs.or watching movie...
    I will enjoy all of those things better on my phone, pad, or laptop: one of which, I will most certainly have. I don't want to try navigating a printer for any of that.

3)and of course,you can browse the internet and print web pages or pictures in your facebook fast...
    I don't even want to brows the internet from my phone, let alone a printer screen. I will already have something with me that is far better for any of that than a printer.

and etc....I think it can do more things we can think...Furthermore,to clarify here...many people need printers,especially Uni students and corporate...we love it so bad...
    Sure, people need printers for some things. Printers are great at being printers. It sounds like you want the printer to be a substitute computer. At least you have a vision of what it might be, even if that vision gives me the willies. HP has not attempted to define their vision, leaving us to just make stuff up.

If your vision is in line with HP's, I would predict a bad failure. I don't believe consumers want to interact with printers any more than they have to. I don't think businesses do either.
    The OP's question is all about a lack of seeing the bigger picture. First and foremost is the ability to print from any device via the cloud. Just send the doc to the printer via email. No need to hook up through the network or deal with firewalls. Second, let's say you have a document or presentation on your phone that you want to print for a meeting, or as a hand out to a customer/supplier/colleague, but the document will only look right if it is properly formatted. With WebOS on the printer, you can send the device to the printer, pull it up and make sure the format is setup correctly before it prints. Having a nice 5-7" touchscreen display would be a lot easier than dealing with the document on your phone.

Being able to check the layout of pages before printing, like web pages, would be another good reason. How about also being able to send pictures and do some quick editing/filtering/cropping? Sounds like something else it would excel at. There are a number of things I can think of. Simply printing a document isn't something we can always do, and having the ability to have greater control at the printer end is always a good thing. Being able to print a document, or place a document in a printer que, from anywhere in the world can have it's uses as well.
    I know a lot of people responded. I am just going to reply to this one as it covers a lot of things others have said, or hinted at.

Why would anyone want to print without a PC, smartphone, or pad?

How would you know about the error if you didn't see it on your computing device? Why not just whip out your phone and make the correction?

I will enjoy all of those things better on my phone, pad, or laptop: one of which, I will most certainly have. I don't want to tray navigating a printer for any of that.

I don't even want to brows the internet from my phone, let alone a printer screen. I will already have something with me that is far better for any of that than a printer.

Sure, people need printers for some things. Printers are great at being printers. It sounds like you want the printer to be a substitute computer. At least you have a vision of what it might be, even if that vision gives me the willies. HP has not attempted to define their vision, leaving us to just make stuff up.

If your vision is in line with HP's, I would predict a bad failure. I don't believe consumers want to interact with printers any more than they have to. I don't think businesses do either.
    This post is part of your problem. We are not you. Some people print tons of things from photos, to spreadsheets, to CD's, labels, etc... Some rarely print anything at all. When you limit things to only what you thing they can be used for, you've effectively placed yourself inside a tiny little box and can't see the bigger picture. Open your mind. Not everyone wants to edit or format a document on a 3-4" screen when a noticeably larger one waits at the printer. Again, open your mind.
    edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    The OP's question is all about a lack of seeing the bigger picture. First and foremost is the ability to print from any device via the cloud. Just send the doc to the printer via email. No need to hook up through the network or deal with firewalls. Second, let's say you have a document or presentation on your phone that you want to print for a meeting, or as a hand out to a customer/supplier/colleague, but the document will only look right if it is properly formatted. With WebOS on the printer, you can send the device to the printer, pull it up and make sure the format is setup correctly before it prints. Having a nice 5-7" touchscreen display would be a lot easier than dealing with the document on your phone.

Being able to check the layout of pages before printing, like web pages, would be another good reason. How about also being able to send pictures and do some quick editing/filtering/cropping? Sounds like something else it would excel at. There are a number of things I can think of. Simply printing a document isn't something we can always do, and having the ability to have greater control at the printer end is always a good thing. Being able to print a document, or place a document in a printer que, from anywhere in the world can have it's uses as well.
    end edit: ( yes I was responding to this.. I think lol)

we need webos on a printer for all that? I'd imagine that a better strategy would just be a printer connected to the internet, and you can edit the document on your webos tablet, which you can take anywhere and do that.

of couse their android tablet on a printer was removable, so maybe instead of needing to be secured to the printer, perhaps a "webos printer" will just be sold as a package deal of a printer and a tablet. Nothing really new in the printer spaceof things, which is the cause of confusion
    Last edited by patricksmangan; 11/16/2010 at 08:32 PM.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast