Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    That's a cryin shame. In HPs world then you don't count, no new sales. Your company is not part of the example, that's all this means.
    Not true at all. A quick trip around the room revealed that everyone of the printers and faxes in my office are supplied by HP. So is all of our ink. Who do you think we will go with when one of these break down? That's right, HP. Infact our relationship ship w/ HP is such that they offer all of our employees a tremendous discount. What does this mean for them? More customers, more laptop sales, more printer sales, more ink sales, even if it's not directly through the Corporation. Furthermore, we rely on HP for more than just printers. They have MANY other services.

what my statement really shows is that your understanding of the relationships between large corporations is skewed to the ones you have experience with. Not all major corporations are equally dependent on brand new technology. Many wait until the tech has become proven, standardized, neccisary to remain competitive, and/or cost effective.

the cost of being more aggressive in upgrading our printers (among other evolving tec) doesn't fit into any of those categories at this time. It's not a shame ,it's business 101. Like I said, there are many corporations that have a high operating costs. Job security and reliable infrastructure will trump e-printers everytime.

Besides, with the amount of money HP makes on ink, their concern is more on increasing the frequency in which their printers are used, less how can they sell a new printer. Major corporations are going to keep printing, regardless! As long as that relationship is there, we're 'in HPs world'

My guess is that the real hope with e-printers is that users will be more likely to immediately print their photos at home (thus increasing the frequency of use), instead of waiting to get them developed, or just keeping them on their harddrives. My source, HPs e-print marketing program aimed directly at non-enterprise consumers.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 11/19/2010 at 10:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    what my statement really shows is that your understanding of the relationships between large corporations is skewed to the ones you have experience with. Not all major corporations are equally dependent on brand new technology. Many wait until the tech has become proven, standardized, neccisary to remain competitive, and/or cost effective.
    I agree with what you're saying, and there's no doubt that some companies fit the profile you're describing, and some don't.

I also think the sarcasm and put downs in the thread a ridiculous. I don't quite understand the need to disparage users because their view is different (and yes, some of the implied put downs are as bad as the explicit ones).

That said, whether some companies need new printers or not is really beside the point. HP knows that new printers are going to be purchased. To design an integraited ecosystem that is desirable to fill the need for new printers can hardly be a bad thing.
    Let's keep the thread on the main topic. No need for name calling.

Thanks.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    so will webos actually allow you to cancel a print job before it prints the entire job?
  5.    #85  
    Just bought a Photosmart D110-a.

First, a few words about the printer, then back on topic.

As much as I would prefer to never print again, there are still times when it is good to have a printer. I am replacing an Epson. My advice, save yourself some headache and just throw away the disc that comes with it. Go straight to HP and download the drivers and software from there. If you are never going to scan, the Mac downloads drivers the first time you try to print.

This is the first printer I have owned that did not need to be connected to a computer. That gave me the freedom to plug it in wherever there was a convenient outlet. I also wanted to try AirPrint. At the moment, that means HP, or bust.

Once set up, it works as advertised. I even set up printing over email. If the consumables aren't too high, I will really enjoy this printer. My wife and I have access to the printer from our desktops, iPhones, and iPad, all without wires or fuss. It is the way printing should have been a long time ago. I picked up the printer for $60 on Amazon.

Back on topic...

With this fresh new perspective on printing, I have to say, I still don't see how wOS benefits me in practical terms. There are all kinds of speculative scenarios one can cook up. But at the end of the day, all I ever want to do is hit the big, red PRINT button.

I can do all the document and photo manipulation I want on my 27" monitor, 9.7" pad, or 3.5" screen. There is no printer screen size that will beat what I have. Navigating menus is still a horrible experience, but a full OS is overkill, IMO.

For someone with no access to a smartphone, pad, laptop, desktop, or email, I suppose it is fine to have local functionality on the printer. I am still finding it hard to see how it will play out in real life.

To me, this printer has made it even easier for me to put it in a corner and ignore it until I have to grab a print job. I only need to deal with it to refill the paper and change the ink cartridges. Both are activities I will do as seldom as possible. Still, I am looking forward to the new wOS printers, if only to see what all the fuss is about. I will keep an open mind until then.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    I'd enjoy playing Angry Birds while waiting for my document to print.

That HP guy at Developer Day tried to explain this. Apps would be created specifically for the printer - a coloring app to print off a coloring book sounded like his best example; maybe a way to view a document before printing, a nice GUI instead of sticking Android on printers.

I don't see why to hate the concept (Unless you're hating because you think that phones and tablets will be second class, which I'm pretty sure they won't) - HP just purchased this amazing OS with a great user interface, why not slap it on printers - the thing they're good at selling?
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Back on topic...

With this fresh new perspective on printing, I have to say, I still don't see how wOS benefits me in practical terms. There are all kinds of speculative scenarios one can cook up. But at the end of the day, all I ever want to do is hit the big, red PRINT button.

I can do all the document and photo manipulation I want on my 27" monitor, 9.7" pad, or 3.5" screen. There is no printer screen size that will beat what I have. Navigating menus is still a horrible experience, but a full OS is overkill, IMO.

For someone with no access to a smartphone, pad, laptop, desktop, or email, I suppose it is fine to have local functionality on the printer. I am still finding it hard to see how it will play out in real life.

To me, this printer has made it even easier for me to put it in a corner and ignore it until I have to grab a print job. I only need to deal with it to refill the paper and change the ink cartridges. Both are activities I will do as seldom as possible. Still, I am looking forward to the new wOS printers, if only to see what all the fuss is about. I will keep an open mind until then.
    Gratz on the new printer but you bought a PHOTOSMART printer not a TOUCHSMART printer. Watch the following video...

YouTube - HP Photosmart Premium with Touchsmart Web Printer Demo

If you can't see the business sense in replacing that proprietary OS that needs it's own developers, trainers, and support resources, with webOS that runs on it's phones and soon to be tablets...well then I guess you just don't get it and we'll have to leave it at that. (I still say you need to go into an Office Depot or something and used the TouchSmart OS before you can truly comment on it's viability or not.)
  8.    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    YouTube - HP Photosmart Premium with Touchsmart Web Printer Demo

If you can't see the business sense in replacing that proprietary OS that needs it's own developers, trainers, and support resources, with webOS that runs on it's phones and soon to be tablets...well then I guess you just don't get it and we'll have to leave it at that. (I still say you need to go into an Office Depot or something and used the TouchSmart OS before you can truly comment on it's viability or not.)
    Thanks for the link. I am no UI guru. I'm just a guy with a fast internet connection and an opinion... and AirPrint. I definitely see what you are talking about. I just don't happen to agree, at least, not completely. It feels like HP is trying to take a shortcut by shoehorning a smartphone OS onto a printer in order to avoid doing what really needs to be done.

IMO, ALL printer manufacturers have to start over from scratch. They need to re-imagine the printer paradigm. They need to ask the hard questions such as, what functions do people need this thing to do, how can we engineer simplicity into the process, and, are we designing printers to solve the problems of the end user, or our own.

I don't think they are asking these questions. I think they see touch as a hot item, and want to capitalize on it. They have no software expertise, and must find it elsewhere. Since they already have this wOS, touch software, why not just use that? I believe they will create complexity because they don't understand what wOS is, and isn't. It's just a shortcut to them. It might work. But what they should be doing is rethinking the printer interface, not turning it into a smartphone because that just so happens to be what they have laying around.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Thanks for the link. I am no UI guru. I'm just a guy with a fast internet connection and an opinion... and AirPrint. I definitely see what you are talking about. I just don't happen to agree, at least, not completely. It feels like HP is trying to take a shortcut by shoehorning a smartphone OS onto a printer in order to avoid doing what really needs to be done.

IMO, ALL printer manufacturers have to start over from scratch. They need to re-imagine the printer paradigm. They need to ask the hard questions such as, what functions do people need this thing to do, how can we engineer simplicity into the process, and, are we designing printers to solve the problems of the end user, or our own.

I don't think they are asking these questions. I think they see touch as a hot item, and want to capitalize on it. They have no software expertise, and must find it elsewhere. Since they already have this wOS, touch software, why not just use that? I believe they will create complexity because they don't understand what wOS is, and isn't. It's just a shortcut to them. It might work. But what they should be doing is rethinking the printer interface, not turning it into a smartphone because that just so happens to be what they have laying around.
    Would you be saying the same thing if apple included a printer with a dock for your ipad and the ipad had the ability to control the printer? But even with the ipad 40 miles off at work with you, the printer still functioned like a normal one.

You say they should design printers to solve the end users problems. Are they not? You want a dumb printer they sell those, I want one where it does more than just print stuff I want to be able to edit(make a few corrections) a doc, add a photo to it from the usb stick I plugged in and not have to use my phone because I'm using it to you know talk to someone, also I don't want to boot my laptop up because I'm headed out and just need edit then print that file before I go.
    I can imagine a lot of scenarios wherea webOS printer can be an advantadge, 3rd party software aside.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    The above is wishful thinking. It appears from your comments you have never worked at a large corporation.

Nobody can read your mind to tell that you are deliberately being vague.

This makes no sense.

Every company has cost concerns. It does not mean they don't have money to spend on new techology, especially if they see an advantage. You may not see an advantage, but I can tell from your post you are not a corporation.

And tons more money to spend on technology.

Whos to say they don't need webos on a printer, you? You would need to prove a case as why it would not be a benefit to make that statement valid. Those large corps you mentioned live and die on the technology in their offices. Don't believe that? Take out every printer, fax, copier, laptop, desktop, phone and Blackberry and see how much work get done.

How about lack of parts, lack of support for the OS etc., ability to use more efficent and mordern technology.

Those later "companies" you mention, namely Police, Fire, Hospital, Govt agencies are not Enterprise Corporations, though some are large. Some have State and City controlled budgets, which are always out of money. Yes, often business do a strategic upgrade. So what?

And your dead wrong to think a Corp will not upgrade because some new technology exist. How about laptops with wireless built in? Are you still using laptops that have no wireless card? How about laptops with bluetooth to synch a headset so you can answer business calls on the road linked to you desktop phone? How about the installation of a wireless infratstructure? How about getting rid of faxes and copiers and going with one multifunction printer to cover three devices? The list goes on.
    Well, to be fair, I have a family member who works at a rather large corporation (for privacy reasons I will not state the companies name), and the laptop she was given still has the slide in wireless card in the express slot.....Likewise, We have a separate fax machine at my company (separate from our copier/scanner).....then again hardly anyone uses the fax machine....we just digitalize our documents and email them out.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
  12.    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Would you be saying the same thing if apple included a printer with a dock for your ipad and the ipad had the ability to control the printer?
    Absolutely! This is not about brand, but concept. Apple has some experience with an embedded OS: the TV. That is iOS at the core, but not at the UI level. You wouldn't know it was iOS because they wrote it specifically for the functions of the set-top box they were making. Slapping iOS on a printer to give it extra functionality would be asinine. iOS, as written, is not a printer OS, neither is wOS.

Trust me, if this was about brand loyalty, I would not have just bought an HP printer. I have a long-standing hatred for HP. As good as this printer is, I still had to deal with them trying to sign me up for crap-ware during installation. I find HP to be lazy and unimaginative.

I find it telling that when they saw wOS, the first thing they thought of was printers and an iPad clone. It only later crossed their mind that it might be good for phones, too.

Bottom line, I don't trust HP to do anything great with wOS, especially in printers. They are going to slap it on with as little effort as possible and turn printers into smartphones. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if they kept the phone functionality and sold their printers with cell minutes and a data plan. Sprint printers, anyone?
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Absolutely! This is not about brand, but concept. Slapping iOS on a
    I find it telling that when they saw wOS, the first thing they thought of was printers and an iPad clone. It only later crossed their mind that it might be good for phones, too.

Bottom line, I don't trust HP to do anything great with wOS, especially in printers. They are going to slap it on with as little effort as possible and turn printers into smartphones. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if they kept the phone functionality and sold their printers with cell minutes and a data plan. Sprint printers, anyone?
    I would be all over this phone printer!!
    Look, if Apple is able to convince idiots to purchase a tablet with a monotasking phone OS (until now), no camera and still sell 4 million IPADS per quarter, then HP sure wil be able to sell at least a quarter of that in WEBOS printers considering their huge worldwide share of shelf space for printers....if that can easily be integrated w other WEBOS devices,than what is the problem? Sounds like another Apple f a n boy critiquing anything not Apple....
    Last edited by crg28; 11/25/2010 at 08:38 PM.
  14.    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by crg28 View Post
    I would be all over this phone printer!!
    Knock yourself out.

Look, if Apple is able to convince idiots to purchase a tablet...
    Everyone who purchased an iPad is an *****. Got it. Thanks for playing.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Knock yourself out.

Everyone who purchased an iPad is an *****. Got it. Thanks for playing.
    It is obvious you missed the point here...
    Quote Originally Posted by crg28 View Post
    It is obvious you missed the point here...
    That's the same point I drew from your post. Why do you presume everyone who purchases an iPad is an *****? I would be more willing to believe that people who make broad sweeping generalizations are idiots. Please, prove me wrong.
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    As many stated, when they use term "WebOS on printer". They truly mean the experience and not the full blown OS. They want a similar experience across all their products and I think most of you obvious miss that. The company I work for sells Xerox printers, and they all have a 3" touch screen with some crappy linux based OS on top of them. They have issues all the time. These machines will have quick launch buttons on the Scan to Email, Scan to Facebook, Scan to anything connected to the web. With the WebOS experience the sky is the limit when making printers and devices connected to the cloud. This will probably be more focused towards higher end AIO, but I can see it on a similar WebOS tablet printer combo. You guys aren't going to browse the internet on your printer, but it will allow you to do so much more than we are limited to now.
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
    Quote Originally Posted by NitOxYs View Post
    As many stated, when they use term "WebOS on printer". They truly mean the experience and not the full blown OS. They want a similar experience across all their products and I think most of you obvious miss that. The company I work for sells Xerox printers, and they all have a 3" touch screen with some crappy linux based OS on top of them. They have issues all the time. These machines will have quick launch buttons on the Scan to Email, Scan to Facebook, Scan to anything connected to the web. With the WebOS experience the sky is the limit when making printers and devices connected to the cloud. This will probably be more focused towards higher end AIO, but I can see it on a similar WebOS tablet printer combo. You guys aren't going to browse the internet on your printer, but it will allow you to do so much more than we are limited to now.
    Also, let's not forget about the architecture of webOS. There's the webOS kernel that is the underlying structure (mojo core?) and then there's Luna which runs on top and is the UI we deal with. Why are we making assumptions that they will utilize webOS with Luna from the phones? HP has some of the best software engineers in the world, so let's give them some credit here.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345