Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    from a husband & father POV, this will equate to my wife printing off every funny email or random recipe she finds on her Pixi. If she could take a photo with her phone and print from her phone wirelessly, she will print every frick'n picture that she takes. This will sink my beer budget....
    Quote Originally Posted by AOW View Post
    from a husband & father POV, this will equate to my wife printing off every funny email or random recipe she finds on her Pixi. If she could take a photo with her phone and print from her phone wirelessly, she will print every frick'n picture that she takes. This will sink my beer budget....
    o, is that good then? Lol

nevermind I thought you said HER beer budget
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Let me break down the question into smaller bites. What is the benefit of putting a powerful OS on a printer? I work from a computer, of phone, or pad. I see something that I want to print. All I should have to do is hit "print" and go pick it up out of the printer.

I don't want my printer to be the computer. I don't want to have to input information into the printer to print movie tickets. I don't want to try and deal with an application on the printer. All I want to do is hit "print" from whatever device I am working on.

That is my vision of printing, even in the work place. What is HP's vision?
    Let me also explain, before I directly answer your question, what Apple did with Airplay was create an application to send to wireless printers. That was work, software, created to allow for that application. I think HP is creating a vision of the cloud ruling the world. Imagine, instead of faxing something to your school, work, Comcast, you would simple put it in the cloud and allow said ppl with access to those documents. Thats really just the start.

The reason HP picked WebOS it is already connected to the web. It can easily be modified for printers and the applications they want it to be used for. Its simple, so they can give consumers a tablet and you can print even when your not home because your printer is connected to your home network and your tablet over 3G. When you get home, your tickets are waiting.

Even more then that, imagine being able to print your facebook pictures by clicking print on your phone. That may not be interesting to you, but to someone like me thats pretty cool. These are some of the applications HP is creating today and I am sure we will see more inavation then I can cook up.
    can't explain it. I think it makes as much sense as the people that thought 3D tv was the next big thing, the guy that thought Spiderman 3 was a good idea, Google Buzz. I think this is something people incorrectly think there is wide demand for. But i don't think they will realize it until they make it, market it try and sell it, and they don't see any measurable increase in printer sales that they can attribute to the feature.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    What I see in my mind's eye is having to move myself to where the printer is located. For consumers, the printer is rarely conveniently located, offices either, for that matter.
    Ok, so when you are done printing from your pc, how will you acquire the printed material? Don't you still have to go to the printer itself to just pickup the work you just printed out, and maybe check that it was stapled correctly, or that the printed pages came out how you intended? At least in enterprise, sometimes it's much easier to just stand in front of the printer, especially if you're going to do a lot of copying, instead of sitting at your desk having to log in to your pc, then trying to use a scanner to copy pages into your computer(hopefully the scanner driver works without problems) to then send to the pinter, to then have to pick them up later at the printer's location and check that the job was done right to begin with, otherwise back to square one.
    Palm Pre on Sprint. WebOS 1.4.5
    If I helped you, a thanks would be much appreciated (Thanks button located on right side)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    can't explain it. I think it makes as much sense as the people that thought 3D tv was the next big thing, the guy that thought Spiderman 3 was a good idea, Google Buzz. I think this is something people incorrectly think there is wide demand for. But i don't think they will realize it until they make it, market it try and sell it, and they don't see any measurable increase in printer sales that they can attribute to the feature.
    HP is already the leader in printer sales as it is. Here's the thing, they HAVE TouchSmart printers in production and have for a while, they are popular, AND they have a proprietary OS that isn't very robust.

http://zapp5.staticworld.net/news/gr...e_original.jpg

They will replace this very limited, proprietary OS with an extensible one that will be ubiquitous across their product lines and kill several birds with one stone.

A) Eliminate development and support costs for the existing TouchSmart OS
    B) Take advantage of the web connected nature of webOS with cloud based features. Think looking in your Dropbox account and printing off a Resume or a Document directly.
    C) Enhance the functionality of the current feature sets they are offering.
    D) Leverage existing app development versus proprietary app creation.'
    E) Instead of merely browsing and printing pics from your memory card, adding captions, or frames, or tweaking the photos directly. Sure printing from a webOS smartphone is a given but that's if the pics are on the Palm device to begin with.

I install more of these than Epson, Canon, and Lexmark put together,
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    it is more common that devices have touch screens instead of buttons. They also are getting smarter so they can do more without being connected to a PC.

webOS gives them a great UI, consistent across devices, ability for them to communicate, and for new uses to emerge from this new power.

how is that for starters.

note, I'm not saying it's gonna work, just that I can see their logic.
    Along those lines - 6 weeks ago, the office I work for ordered two printers for the director's secretary, and the property officer (it's government work, they get odd titles like that). The PO's printer went buggy. The replacement they sent was a slight upgrade. It had a touch screen.

The advantage? Instead of of options like "press 2 for English", it had a touch menu that hand the available languages listed. You pressed your selection.

Not a big deal, but a change.

Here's another example that's more "consumer oriented".

Today, I take a bunch of pictures in a camera. I put the memory card in my computer, and pick the picture I want, crop it, and send it to the printer.

My wife does a lot more pictures than I, and her method is a bit more advanced. She pops the mem card in a printer, and prints what I would have once called a contact sheet. She puts a checkmark on the prints she wants, scans the sheet, and the prints come out (in the size she chose). That's a $300 Epson printer that's about 18 months old.

I suspect, if we want to spend in the money (probably about the same amount), she'll pop in the mem card, select the photos she wants, zoom in on the portion she wants to print, and print them - all on the printer. Of course, that would be someone else's memory card, since she'd do her photos a little differently.

She'd simply use her PDA/Phone/Music/OhYeah - Camera Too device, and use the exact same app on the device to print the pictures.

Of course, I'm sure someone six years or so ago asked "Why would anyone want to play music on their phone...?"
    I will enjoy all of those things better on my phone, pad, or laptop: one of which, I will most certainly have. I don't want to try navigating a printer for any of that.
    What if the "navigating the printer" was exactly the same as navigating on your phone, pad, or laptop?

Sure, people need printers for some things. Printers are great at being printers. It sounds like you want the printer to be a substitute computer....
    If your vision is in line with HP's, I would predict a bad failure. I don't believe consumers want to interact with printers any more than they have to. I don't think businesses do either.
    Do a little time travel back a few years. In every instance of the word "printer" above, substitute "cell phone". Convince every one in the "few years ago" time travel that you're right, and you've completely altered history.

Oh yeah, you'd have to also substitute "Apple" for "HP".

We'd have no iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

We'd have no iPhone.
    Oh, and what a happy world it would be.
    I was also having a hard time understanding HP's interest in WebOS for printers, but this thread made it a bit more clear that in some instances (usually corporate) it might make sense. I can see sending a print job to the printer with the option to print it now, or save it to the WebOS printer device for printing later (when I am in front of the printer- maybe with a security code so nosy others at the printer don't read it before I get there). You can tell the printer to print one or multiple copies, collate, staple, etc. You can have the printer e-mail you when it is done, or let you know if there are toner or paper issues. If you print one copy and see you need more (or simple editing), you can do so at the printer as an option, with the job stored in the devices memory. Or, you can tell it to wipe the job from it's memory for security. On the other hand, bosses (big brother) can have it save a copy of everything printed, even e-mailing the docs to him so he can see if you are using it for personal use. (Busted!)

While touch-screen buttons may be usable, it will take some getting used to gestures if they are needed.

One thing I do have questions about, on the existing HP printers with a web address... (or these new WebOS printers) what is to stop them from printing every spam message that comes across the e-mail? Maybe that is what they want, so more expendibles like toner and paper are used? If they have a way to only let authorized emails be printed, I want that on my regular e-mail system (a "white list", perhaps?). If it is by the sender's e-mail address, what about spoofed addresses? Maybe it is by the subject line, some sort of authorization code? Can I use that subject line to tell the WebOS printer how many copies of the document I want, one or two-sided printing, collating, stapling, etc?

Maybe WebOS will be great on printers, but I hope smartphones, tablets, netbooks, and other amazing devices are not left out!
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    I don't know if it's been said yet. / too many books disguised as posts / but one use is to send photos to a family member without going through a PC... just print.

I would set one of these up in my father in law's house and send family photos to him a couple of times a week. He doesn't use or own a PC but could afford any PC or printer he wants. We would place it in the great room and check it once in a while.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Think looking in your Dropbox account and printing off a Resume or a Document directly.
    I can stop you right there. I've never ever wanted to print from my phone. I'm sure someone may just not me. Hey haven't bought a new printer in 15 years. I've either fished one from a dumpster or got it free second hand. And honestly, at my job, nothing is in the cloud for security reasons. We do a lot of writing and when people print they are pretty much 99% of the time typing something on a desktop. they hit print and walk to the printer. Nobody actually uses the printer interface. I don't do any of that browsing and printing pics from a memory card. I don't print pics. hell i don't print much at all. And when i do i'm printing stuff off my desktop. web printing or phone printing or whatever is just not something i've ever wanted to do. And honestly it's not something i have any desire to do in the future. to each his own. I just don't print much and don't see my friends printing anything in their personal lives. i still think it'll be like google buzz. Make no difference one way or the other to how many printers they sesll.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 11/17/2010 at 02:32 AM.
    I just heard on cnets the 404 that hp's eprint will be compatible with airPrint from apple products.

sounds like theyr gna make webos ios' b*tch
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    I just heard on cnets the 404 that hp's eprint will be compatible with airPrint from apple products.

sounds like theyr gna make webos ios' b*tch
    Make sense, if they can tie themselves to a Superbrand like Apple, it's more likely that people will take them seriously/buy the product.
    What if the "navigating the printer" was exactly the same as navigating on your phone, pad, or laptop?

Do a little time travel back a few years. In every instance of the word "printer" above, substitute "cell phone". Convince every one in the "few years ago" time travel that you're right, and you've completely altered history.

We'd have no iPhone.
    Astonishingly enough...I agree wholeheartedly. There is potential here, just as there is with a new portfolio of devices. But I've yet to see HP provide any sort of detail on this strategy other than the high-level theorizing mentioned in this thread, and their new CEO remains relatively MIA. So, as usual, we're left to fill in the blanks. And if this is going to become a consumer-focused phenomenon, that is going to have to change.
    Of course, I'm sure someone six years or so ago asked "Why would anyone want to play music on their phone...?"
    People want to play music on a cell phone? Thats why we have portable cd players dude

We'd have no iPhone.
    Whats this iPhone?

God points btw.
    I print pictures, much like hparsons' better half, and being able to do it directly from putting the memory card in the printer is so much easier than booting a computer just to print a picture. Our printer has a tiny, non-touchscreen screen, but it is still perfectly capable of editing (adjusting light levels etc.) and cropping the picture to the desired size. If you want to do more major editing, you boot the computer up.

WebOS is more than the user interface we have on phones. HP wanted an OS that can run across a large range of their products so that they could sell businesses an set of computing and electronic products that have a familiar feel. This doesn't mean that the printers WebOS will look the same as your phone - but the back end will be the same.

WebOS gives the opportunity for HP to have a tested operating system for these printers, capable of being updated remotely, and has the in-built ability to extend itself - i.e. being able to download new programmes. As HP have access to the coding of WebOS, they can build in support across their range of products. I would not be surprised if it suddenly becomes very simple to print your photos off your WebOS phone, or if a future WebOS tablet automatically detects and uses the printer seamlessly.

The ability to download new Apps/Programmes/Modules/Routines/etc. will allow the printers to keep up with any new ideas/concepts that people come up with to use with printers. Ten years ago, who would have thought of printing out a "demo sheet" of your pictures, ticking the ones you want and scanning it back in as a way to select which pictures you wanted to print? We have no idea what will be the next good idea. However, with the ability to download new Apps (think: new ways of doing things), the printers will be able to keep up with changing ideas for longer.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have NaN posts.

We'd have no iPhone.
    just my opinion. the distinction i'd draw was that 6 years ago "smartphone" type devices where a growing market (and still are) where as printing doesn't seem to be. It's not like 6 years ago cell phone makers didn't know that higher data speeds would change the cell phone markets. I think the fact that you had carriers looking to roll out 3g networks shows they were think about that well ahead of the game. That takes planning and forethought. And phone makers obviously where in the loop and got that that was a value add so they designed phones to support those coming networks. I think 6 years ago you saw many people clamouring for a device that was a phone, mp3 player and digital camera all in one. I've just never heard of anyone outside of HP clamouring for new printers. Even at my place of employment everyone's needs to print from a desktop, everyone's work is on local servers. And the only time people even look at the actual physical printer interface it to make a copy. And for that all you press is the giant white print button. Maybe it's the circles i run in. Nothing wrong with the feature per se. It's just not something that i see as particularly interesting. Maybe if you're selling them to Kinkos or Pitney Bowes i get it cause you got people staring at printers all day. But for others, i'll put it this way, i have my doubts as to how successful a strategy it will be.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 11/17/2010 at 03:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    o, is that good then? Lol

nevermind I thought you said HER beer budget
    My wife's beer budget is higher than mine... But that is only because she is never satisfied with what is on special at the local bar and feels the need to drink beers at $10+ per bottle. I thought getting her off of wine and on to beer was a good idea in the beginning, but now I am left wondering if made a big mistake?

Anyhow, back on topic... webOS printers... Who wouldn't want to play Angry Birds on their printer?
  20.    #60  
    I think we are witnessing the difference between two types of people: computer geeks, and regular folks. I hear the computer geeks saying that everything should be a computer with a full OS and every possible option.

I see no evidence that regular folks want to "computerize" every thing they do. They barely know how to use the Windows box in the den. They use very little of the capabilities of a smartphone. Now, you want them to learn a whole new OS for getting that blasted box to spit out overpriced prints.

There is nothing remotely intuitive about the kinds of tasks most of you are bringing up: consumer or business. How much money in training will it take to get everyone in the office proficient with this beast of a printer you have cooked up? They don't even want to use the printer they've got, let alone one they have to fiddle with even more.

Why is the computer, phone, or pad a better interface? Because it is the one they already know how to use. The company has already trained them on the BB phone, the Windows XP PC, and the iPad, which they already knew how to use. Now, you want them to learn a new OS to use the printer. That is a non-starter for a lot of businesses and consumers.

As long as they think of the printer as a printer, they can accept it, as they are already somewhat familiar with printers. Once the printer becomes a whole, new computer, that is where I, and countless others, get off the crazy train.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast