Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 98
  1. Helidos's Avatar
    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Why would anyone want to print without a PC, smartphone, or pad?
    Think bigger than the everyday consumer. Read my post I can email our multifunction device at my office and it will print it out. It also prints certain requests for information requested from our website so the first person to walk in the morning sees them. Without the need for them to go to there desk and fire up there pc, login check mail etc etc.


    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    How would you know about the error if you didn't see it on your computing device? Why not just whip out your phone and make the correction?
    Think he meant like grammatical errors and as such.


    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I will enjoy all of those things better on my phone, pad, or laptop: one of which, I will most certainly have. I don't want to try navigating a printer for any of that.
    The device we have has a 6" screen if i remember right which is nearly tablet size.

    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    It sounds like you want the printer to be a substitute computer. At least you have a vision of what it might be, even if that vision gives me the willies. HP has not attempted to define their vision, leaving us to just make stuff up.

    If your vision is in line with HP's, I would predict a bad failure. I don't believe consumers want to interact with printers any more than they have to. I don't think businesses do either.
    Think bigger than the average Joe printing his book report or airline reservation at home.
  2.    #22  
    I fully admit to having a lack of imagination when it comes to this product. I shouldn't need imagination. HP should have laid out their vision for the product.

    What I see in my mind's eye is having to move myself to where the printer is located. For consumers, the printer is rarely conveniently located, offices either, for that matter. Then I have to hunch over it and do a lot of intricate manipulation and data entry on a Dell Streak sized screen to get my report printed out properly.

    No thanks! I know I am speaking for myself, but I don't think I am alone. I don't want more functionality from a printer. I want less. In fact, I want a printer with no buttons or screen. I want a dumb box sitting in a corner with nothing to do except eject my print job when I call for one, from another device of my choosing.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    we need webos on a printer for all that? I'd imagine that a better strategy would just be a printer connected to the internet, and you can edit the document on your webos tablet, which you can take anywhere and do that.

    of couse their android tablet on a printer was removable, so maybe instead of needing to be secured to the printer, perhaps a "webos printer" will just be sold as a package deal of a printer and a tablet. Nothing really new in the printer spaceof things, which is the cause of confusion
    You must of posted while Falconrap posted. His statement could apply to you.
    Concerning your second paragraph, having removable tablets that are part of the printer is a very bad idea. What happens when a user drops the tablet and breaks it, which will certainly happen. Or a user decides to take the tablet to his desk to finish and edit? In a corporate world you don't want users walking off with key parts of your printer. A fixed screen is the best option. Your last sentences makes no sense, and itself is a cause of confusion.
  4. Helidos's Avatar
    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I fully admit to having a lack of imagination when it comes to this product. I shouldn't need imagination. HP should have laid out their vision for the product.

    What I see in my mind's eye is having to move myself to where the printer is located. For consumers, the printer is rarely conveniently located, offices either, for that matter. Then I have to hunch over it and do a lot of intricate manipulation and data entry on a Dell Streak sized screen to get my report printed out properly.

    No thanks! I know I am speaking for myself, but I don't think I am alone. I don't want more functionality from a printer. I want less. In fact, I want a printer with no buttons or screen. I want a dumb box sitting in a corner with nothing to do except eject my print job when I call for one, from another device of my choosing.

    Think of it this way you buy this cool $500 tablet and it comes with this really cool docking station/multifunction printer/copier/fax combo. Are you gonna complain?

    Imagine this As the combo except instead it has webos on it. And look no buttons either its win win man!!!!

    And that's just the consumer model
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Think bigger than the everyday consumer. Read my post I can email our multifunction device at my office and it will print it out. It also prints certain requests for information requested from our website so the first person to walk in the morning sees them. Without the need for them to go to there desk and fire up there pc, login check mail etc etc.




    Think he meant like grammatical errors and as such.




    The device we have has a 6" screen if i remember right which is nearly tablet size.



    Think bigger than the average Joe printing his book report or airline reservation at home.
    I know you are trying to help me see this, and I appreciate it. I am fully aware of the capabilities of multifunction copiers in business offices. What you are describing is webOS Embedded Pro, or something like that. As a consumer, I have no interest in what goes into a corporate printer.

    More to the point, I don't see why wOS is required to do any of the stuff you are describing. I still think shoehorning a smartphone OS into a printer is overkill for what you are describing. Printers can already do much of that. Add an email address or internet connectivity, done!

    I have no problem with HP making better printer software. webOS is not printer software. Its rightful place is on mobile devices for consumers to enjoy.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I fully admit to having a lack of imagination when it comes to this product. I shouldn't need imagination. HP should have laid out their vision for the product.

    What I see in my mind's eye is having to move myself to where the printer is located. For consumers, the printer is rarely conveniently located, offices either, for that matter. Then I have to hunch over it and do a lot of intricate manipulation and data entry on a Dell Streak sized screen to get my report printed out properly.

    No thanks! I know I am speaking for myself, but I don't think I am alone. I don't want more functionality from a printer. I want less. In fact, I want a printer with no buttons or screen. I want a dumb box sitting in a corner with nothing to do except eject my print job when I call for one, from another device of my choosing.

    You still don't get it. What if you get a document via email on your phone and you want to print it now, but if you did that to a "dumb box" it came out looking like schnitt? Stuff cut off, columns of text mixed together, etc... I see it all the time when I print. That's what the friggin' Print Preview option is for. Do you really want to do all the formatting checks on your phone when you could just send it to the printer and go there and verify the format on the screen first?

    I can tell you that most people who regularly print documents of various types need much more functionality than what you are asking for. Just stop asking what anyone could need with this because many of us have already told you what WE would need it for, and what others we know would. You are clearly not the target customer for this. If you want a crappy "dumb box" printer that can't print a complex document without help, then feel free. Many of us, however, would prefer something a little more capable.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    You must of posted while Falconrap posted. His statement could apply to you.
    Concerning your second paragraph, having removable tablets that are part of the printer is a very bad idea. What happens when a user drops the tablet and breaks it, which will certainly happen. Or a user decides to take the tablet to his desk to finish and edit? In a corporate world you don't want users walking off with key parts of your printer. A fixed screen is the best option. Your last sentences makes no sense, and itself is a cause of confusion.



    there's nothing new with a webos printer except for webos. There is nothing new in the printer space of things..........which is the cause for confusion.

    if they go the route of their android printer, it'd be a removable tablet. If they treat tablets like smartphones, they'd try to get enterprises to get tablets for all their employees so they they can use them for work, edit docs, and print either directly over wifi, bluetooth, or over wifi to an intranet, or out to the internet>back through the internet back over wifi or eithernet to their printer.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I fully admit to having a lack of imagination when it comes to this product. I shouldn't need imagination. HP should have laid out their vision for the product.

    What I see in my mind's eye is having to move myself to where the printer is located. For consumers, the printer is rarely conveniently located, offices either, for that matter. Then I have to hunch over it and do a lot of intricate manipulation and data entry on a Dell Streak sized screen to get my report printed out properly.

    No thanks! I know I am speaking for myself, but I don't think I am alone. I don't want more functionality from a printer. I want less. In fact, I want a printer with no buttons or screen. I want a dumb box sitting in a corner with nothing to do except eject my print job when I call for one, from another device of my choosing.
    Unrealistic, unless the printer has the capability to tell you on the screen of the device you are sending from what the problem is when your job does not "eject your print job".
    In real office environment often times people are standing waiting for their job to print because the print has to go somewhere fast. They need to know what is going on with the printer at the printer so they can compensate. You'd be surprised how many times jobs don't print because there is paper tray empty. Knowing what is going on with a printer is key for a basic user. Your scenario keeps you in the dark.
  9. Helidos's Avatar
    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I know you are trying to help me see this, and I appreciate it. I am fully aware of the capabilities of multifunction copiers in business offices. What you are describing is webOS Embedded Pro, or something like that. As a consumer, I have no interest in what goes into a corporate printer.

    More to the point, I don't see why wOS is required to do any of the stuff you are describing. I still think shoehorning a smartphone OS into a printer is overkill for what you are describing. Printers can already do much of that. Add an email address or internet connectivity, done!

    I have no problem with HP making better printer software. webOS is not printer software. Its rightful place is on mobile devices for consumers to enjoy.
    Your still missing the point... But thats fine I posted the version Joe Consumer would buy above...
  10. #30  
    so we can print webOS upgrades and not rely on carriers...
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    so we can print webOS upgrades and not rely on carriers...
    lol, o ya, forgot my printer needs stacks and quick actions now :P
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    there's nothing new with a webos printer except for webos. There is nothing new in the printer space of things..........which is the cause for confusion.

    if they go the route of their android printer, it'd be a removable tablet. If they treat tablets like smartphones, they'd try to get enterprises to get tablets for all their employees so they they can use them for work, edit docs, and print either directly over wifi, bluetooth, or over wifi to an intranet, or out to the internet>back through the internet back over wifi or eithernet to their printer.
    I don't' see where anyone said there is something new in the printer space. Your HP vision of HP entreating Corp Enterprises to get tablets for all employees to do the stuff you say is a bit late. This can be and is being done now, without tablets. Your leap from smartphones to tablets is just that, a leap with no congruence.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Unrealistic, unless the printer has the capability to tell you on the screen of the device you are sending from what the problem is when your job does not "eject your print job".
    In real office environment often times people are standing waiting for their job to print because the print has to go somewhere fast. They need to know what is going on with the printer at the printer so they can compensate. You'd be surprised how many times jobs don't print because there is paper tray empty. Knowing what is going on with a printer is key for a basic user. Your scenario keeps you in the dark.
    Trust me, I am quite familiar with the corporate copier scene. I am speaking as a consumer. wOS used to be a consumer OS for consumer mobile products.

    Corporate has different needs. I still don't seen where wOS solves all the corporate issues. In that environment, it is just another bloated office machine. People keep giving me consumer scenarios, I respond, and someone else tells me a corporate rebuttal. Oh well. That's life in the forums.

    Do you really think those lines at the printer are improved by each person hunched over trying to edit their documents?

    I appreciate the responses, and take them in the spirit they were intended. I will pick this up tomorrow. Good night, all.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    I don't' see where anyone said there is something new in the printer space. Your HP vision of HP entreating Corp Enterprises to get tablets for all employees to do the stuff you say is a bit late. This can be and is being done now, without tablets. Your leap from smartphones to tablets is just that, a leap with no congruence.
    um, thanks for implying that I'm behind the times.....
    this is, then, or else would be more profitable than a few webos printers for a floor of a office workplace
  15. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #35  
    ever send a print job at work, walk all the way to the printer and see it hasn't printed? Then you get to walk back to your desk, try again and hope for the best. Having access to (some of) your documents right from the printer would alleviate that.

    as for the consumer, it's all about easier photo printing and you can see it from their commercials. No imagination needed. Even microsofts 'to the cloud' commercial showed photo printing. I don't photo print either but doesn't mean it isn't a big money making market.
    Last edited by spare; 11/16/2010 at 08:43 PM.
  16. #36  
    what's a printer??? Oh....you mean that square box-like thing that's sits beside my PC that holds a bunch of paper and collects dust?? Ya I have one of those, don't think I'll be needing any new sort of dust collecter for a while thanks.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Trust me, I am quite familiar with the corporate copier scene. I am speaking as a consumer. wOS used to be a consumer OS for consumer mobile products.

    Corporate has different needs. I still don't seen where wOS solves all the corporate issues. In that environment, it is just another bloated office machine. People keep giving me consumer scenarios, I respond, and someone else tells me a corporate rebuttal. Oh well. That's life in the forums.

    Do you really think those lines at the printer are improved by each person hunched over trying to edit their documents?

    I appreciate the responses, and take them in the spirit they were intended. I will pick this up tomorrow. Good night, all.
    I think the main issue is dandbj13 has never used an HP TouchSmart printer. If he had, he would "get it". The OS on the TouchSmarts is "OK" but it's limited and I can definitely see why HP would want webOS on it. They can put an extensible OS on it that can be catered to specifics without having to invent from scratch.

    The last one I installed, the user uses the USA today app and prints a customized version of the USA Today paper right from the printer in the den without having to go downstairs to his office to print it.

    His wife uses the Nickelodeon app to print coloring pages for their 3 year old son when he needs something to do. Those are just two to start.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    um, thanks for implying that I'm behind the times.....
    this is, then, or else would be more profitable than a few webos printers for a floor of a office workplace
    You're the one that put yourself in the limelight with two post saying there is "nothing new in the printer space", which would imply you know something.

    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    what's a printer??? Oh....you mean that square box-like thing that's sits beside my PC that holds a bunch of paper and collects dust?? Ya I have one of those, don't think I'll be needing any new sort of dust collecter for a while thanks.
    Another self interest post. Yah!
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    You're the one that put yourself in the limelight with two post saying there is "nothing new in the printer space", which would imply you know something.
    anything that a webos printer could do, a webos tablet (edit: or phone) could have a printer do.

    if you really want a dedicated combination of the two, that's fine, but the confusion is that we don't see mass consumer appeal. But I guess if you hook a few more people on hp(?) ink, it costs more than oil and that's the plan. Just doesn't sound inovative.
  20. fredc1's Avatar
    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    #40  
    having worked for HP for several years I learned that HP considers that it's business is not to sell printers, but rather...pages. It's a distinction that I have heard the ex ceo, Mark Hurd, explain on a number of occasions. Ink, toner, paper and other consumables are where the profits are. And a printer friendly WebOS increases consumption and that is what matters most to HP
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions