Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 84
  1.    #1  
    So, is it just me or is Palm's future ever so bleak? With UK giving the finger to the Pre 2, who are they rejecting? The Pre, Palm or HP? HP truly needs to find that out, and if it's they have no faith in Palm -- rebrand the company HP and rebrand the Pre line to something else. If it's they have no faith in HP, well can't fix that and if it's the Pre 2 is "not impressive" -- make the new phone impressive!!

    So what do u guys think -- Palm doomed?
  2. #2  
    Palm Pre 2 might be doomed but as long as there are competitive devices from Palm coming out of CES then everything should be fine.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    So, is it just me or is Palm's future ever so bleak? With UK giving the finger to the Pre 2, who are they rejecting? The Pre, Palm or HP? HP truly needs to find that out, and if it's they have no faith in Palm -- rebrand the company HP and rebrand the Pre line to something else. If it's they have no faith in HP, well can't fix that and if it's the Pre 2 is "not impressive" -- make the new phone impressive!!

    So what do u guys think -- Palm doomed?
    No, Palm's not doomed, just this forum is doomed to have a million and one Palm is doomed threads.

    I don't think the Pre 2 is what HP wanted as the next "HP/Palm" device, it just seems like a spec bump to catch the Pre up to other phones and hold everyone over till CES. Plus, and this is just a random thought (not fact) it reeks of them having a small inventory of the devices that were getting ready to go in Aug., but HP pulled the plug as the buyout was finalized. So that would leave Palm with a small inventory of phones sitting on a shelf collecting dust. What do you do with them? You sell them direct to customers that are in the know and want one, don't push advertising very hard, and only offer them with contract on carriers that don't have a high demand for Palm products. Again, this is just me thinking out loud. If you don't have a large inventory and don't plan on making more, you don't spend tons of money making people want them. I think they should have just left the "Pre 2" as "Pre" and just started throwing them in Pre boxes to sell on Sprint as the same old phone with a surprise inside (faster CPU / more RAM).

    EDIT: Reminds me of the time I bought a 150 GB USB HD.... Opened it up and plugged it in to find it had a 250 GB HD.... I went back and checked the packaging to make sure I wasn't loosing my mind... Sure enough, the box said 150GB and din't look as though it was tampered with or previously opened.
  4. #4  
    I am very scared about Hpalm! This was not a good sign that no company wants to carry their phones. I love palm and I will be with them until the end. But I am nervous for them. I have found the best operating system ever created and I have to worry about its future...not good BUT I AM ALWAYS HOPEFUL. I just had my pre Plussed on Sprint so that should hold me over for awhile. Soon we will be able to "2" our pres. That gives us at least a few more years until these other companies can try and catch up to webos. (Assuming there is no webos)
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
  5. #5  
    We are not doomed. There is room for more then one large player in the smart phone market. People do not always choose the best <that explains why Android is so popular :-)>. Being number one isn't important (or reasonable in the iOS world) HP/Palm should do fine, if their next 6 releases all fail then they're done, until then, let's not count us out.
    Last edited by 2ForTheRoad; 11/13/2010 at 10:03 PM.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    I am very scared about Hpalm! This was not a good sign that no company wants to carry their phones. I love palm and I will be with them until the end. But I am nervous for them. I have found the best operating system ever created and I have to worry about its future...not good BUT I AM ALWAYS HOPEFUL. I just had my pre Plussed on Sprint so that should hold me over for awhile. Soon we will be able to "2" our pres. That gives us at least a few more years until these other companies can try and catch up to webos. (Assuming there is no webos)
    I realy don't think there is anything to worry about. Like I said, HP/Palm are not pushing this phone, I don't think they are proud of it, but they have some inventory to move through so it's available direct from HP and on a few carriers
  7. #7  
    there os no factual data that "no carrier wants to offer the Pre2"
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    No, Palm's not doomed, just this forum is doomed to have a million and one Palm is doomed threads.

    I don't think the Pre 2 is what HP wanted as the next "HP/Palm" device, it just seems like a spec bump to catch the Pre up to other phones and hold everyone over till CES. Plus, and this is just a random thought (not fact) it reeks of them having a small inventory of the devices that were getting ready to go in Aug., but HP pulled the plug as the buyout was finalized. So that would leave Palm with a small inventory of phones sitting on a shelf collecting dust. What do you do with them? You sell them direct to customers that are in the know and want one, don't push advertising very hard, and only offer them with contract on carriers that don't have a high demand for Palm products. Again, this is just me thinking out loud. If you don't have a large inventory and don't plan on making more, you don't spend tons of money making people want them. I think they should have just left the "Pre 2" as "Pre" and just started throwing them in Pre boxes to sell on Sprint as the same old phone with a surprise inside (faster CPU / more RAM).

    EDIT: Reminds me of the time I bought a 150 GB USB HD.... Opened it up and plugged it in to find it had a 250 GB HD.... I went back and checked the packaging to make sure I wasn't loosing my mind... Sure enough, the box said 150GB and din't look as though it was tampered with or previously opened.
    Thats possible, that it was HP choice not to put it on a carrier for that reason, but thats my question -- why are carriers not selling it? Whats the reason? If it's a question of faith in a Palm device selling, then we could be introuble -- if it's the case that HP doesn't want the Pre 2 to sell well because of lack of supply, then they did a good job. So I guess we need HP/Palm to come out and tell us whats up in the UK!
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    there os no factual data that "no carrier wants to offer the Pre2"
    ultimate optimist
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    No, Palm's not doomed, just this forum is doomed to have a million and one Palm is doomed threads.

    I don't think the Pre 2 is what HP wanted as the next "HP/Palm" device, it just seems like a spec bump to catch the Pre up to other phones and hold everyone over till CES. Plus, and this is just a random thought (not fact) it reeks of them having a small inventory of the devices that were getting ready to go in Aug., but HP pulled the plug as the buyout was finalized. So that would leave Palm with a small inventory of phones sitting on a shelf collecting dust. What do you do with them? You sell them direct to customers that are in the know and want one, don't push advertising very hard, and only offer them with contract on carriers that don't have a high demand for Palm products. Again, this is just me thinking out loud. If you don't have a large inventory and don't plan on making more, you don't spend tons of money making people want them. I think they should have just left the "Pre 2" as "Pre" and just started throwing them in Pre boxes to sell on Sprint as the same old phone with a surprise inside (faster CPU / more RAM).

    EDIT: Reminds me of the time I bought a 150 GB USB HD.... Opened it up and plugged it in to find it had a 250 GB HD.... I went back and checked the packaging to make sure I wasn't loosing my mind... Sure enough, the box said 150GB and din't look as though it was tampered with or previously opened.
    Well said. I couldn't have commented any better.
  11. #11  
    palm is doomed... long live hp rebranding
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    What serious technology company would have a "small inventory" of their flagship device? Either you are going to make millions of them or you are not. What kind of serious technology company releases something something half-assed just to hold people over? Only a company that doesn't give a crap about its customers or reputation.

    PS - I imagine that this thread is doomed - to be moved to the 4000 post General Pre Complaints thread so that it can be hidden away from the sensitive eyes of the Palm faithful.
    A company on the verge of being bought out. Who knows what went on behind the scenes? Palm starts production of Pre 2... HP either halts production after acquisition or there is some mandate to halt all production before/during buyout so negations can begin and future owner has time to properly assess Palm's situation. I really don't know, but if they had warehouses full of Pre 2s then why are they not readily available and being pushed hard? Why are there no commercials on TV? Heck, that latest HP printer commercial showed the Pre(-).

    PS... I think the Pre 2 was going to be Palm's "Flagship" device, but not once HP steped in.
    Last edited by sinime; 11/13/2010 at 03:48 PM.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ForTheRoad View Post
    We are not doomed. There is room for more then one large player in the smart phone market. People do not always choose the best <that explains why Android is so popular :-)>. Being number one isn't important (or reasonable in the iOS world) HP/Palm should do fine, if their next 6 releases all fail then their done, until then, let's not count us out.
    When the "more than one large player" roster includes RIM, Apple, and Microsoft (all with significantly better products than HP offers), I'm not really sure what webOS' niche will be.
  14. #14  
    She's slowing...sinking...

    http://i51.tinypic.com/e7htuf.jpg
    Last edited by BobKy; 11/13/2010 at 07:43 PM.
  15. #15  
    it's just like sinime said, low stock + demand from our country for an amazing phone = waiting to push their next big thing that they can supply everyone with... The pre2 is so that people can start dev'ing apps for the software for the next device. Just my 2 cents though
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    No, Palm's not doomed, just this forum is doomed to have a million and one Palm is doomed threads.

    I don't think the Pre 2 is what HP wanted as the next "HP/Palm" device, it just seems like a spec bump to catch the Pre up to other phones and hold everyone over till CES. Plus, and this is just a random thought (not fact) it reeks of them having a small inventory of the devices that were getting ready to go in Aug., but HP pulled the plug as the buyout was finalized. So that would leave Palm with a small inventory of phones sitting on a shelf collecting dust. What do you do with them? You sell them direct to customers that are in the know and want one, don't push advertising very hard, and only offer them with contract on carriers that don't have a high demand for Palm products. Again, this is just me thinking out loud. If you don't have a large inventory and don't plan on making more, you don't spend tons of money making people want them. I think they should have just left the "Pre 2" as "Pre" and just started throwing them in Pre boxes to sell on Sprint as the same old phone with a surprise inside (faster CPU / more RAM).

    EDIT: Reminds me of the time I bought a 150 GB USB HD.... Opened it up and plugged it in to find it had a 250 GB HD.... I went back and checked the packaging to make sure I wasn't loosing my mind... Sure enough, the box said 150GB and din't look as though it was tampered with or previously opened.

    I agree, especially with the: throw them in Sprint boxes for a surprise part. That might have even be a better marketing plan. Just put them in the store one day, let bloggers & word of mouth spread like crazy. It would have been a great surprise, and the enthusiasm of the webOS community could have been used to spread the news, showing off the improvements of webOS 2.0 & the Pre 2. Instead the enthusiasm of the webOS community was used to bombard Sprint's FB page & community polls, and go nuts in the forums.

    Oh well, looks like it'll be the dev's playing around with the Pre 2, & whatever people on Verizon that grab it; sometime in the "coming months".

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
  17. #17  
    I just think we shouldnt jump the gun. Hp has a plan to create a ecosystem controlling a OS, and hardware where only Apple in the market can do currently. As stated by Mark Coppock over about webos:

    HP and Apple are the only two companies that can achieve this level of integrated solution. You simply can’t throw Microsoft or Google into this mix, in spite of their strengths in software and cloud services, because neither company controls their own hardware destiny. And of course RIM doesn’t play in this at all, although the Playbook is an obvious indicator that they see the strategy’s validity.


    releasing the pre 2 to a couple of venders, I think allows some more people to get to know webos, and what it can do. As well as buy it sometime before it releases new hardware in Q12011. Market share shifts fast as we can see with how Google did this year, but mainly because if you were always anti apple, and had no Palm or WM choice (new for 2010) then Googles Android was the way to go. Though I believe alot of people want Palm devices, as well as WM, so i expect to see the market shift hard by middle to late Q3 next year in Palm and WM favor. HP is worldwide, and can reach places Palm could never, so I think Webos will be just fine we just need to give it some time.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    I just think we shouldnt jump the gun. Hp has a plan to create a ecosystem controlling a OS, and hardware where only Apple in the market can do currently. As stated by Mark Coppock over about webos:

    HP and Apple are the only two companies that can achieve this level of integrated solution. You simply can’t throw Microsoft or Google into this mix, in spite of their strengths in software and cloud services, because neither company controls their own hardware destiny. And of course RIM doesn’t play in this at all, although the Playbook is an obvious indicator that they see the strategy’s validity.


    releasing the pre 2 to a couple of venders, I think allows some more people to get to know webos, and what it can do. As well as buy it sometime before it releases new hardware in Q12011. Market share shifts fast as we can see with how Google did this year, but mainly because if you were always anti apple, and had no Palm or WM choice (new for 2010) then Googles Android was the way to go. Though I believe alot of people want Palm devices, as well as WM, so i expect to see the market shift hard by middle to late Q3 next year in Palm and WM favor. HP is worldwide, and can reach places Palm could never, so I think Webos will be just fine we just need to give it some time.
    I think you, sinime, and others might be right that HP came in, cut production and they didn't want (or Palm didn't) all that work on the Pre 2 to go to waste. Then when HP started talking to carriers, telling them a brief summery of their devices next year -- Sprint and others could have easily said no to Pre 2 -- and next year they plan to go full swing.

    However, it's possible that the carriers choose not to carry the device because of an utter lack in the Palm Pre brand. Or lack of faith in HP, for that matter. Who knows? Thats why I think HP coming out with some sort of response would be nice.

    I also believe that HP could create an ecosystem, even better then what Apple has done. They could create a "free program" for all HP Windows desktop/notebook's to download and use allowing HP WebOS phones to automatically update with all the users songs and address info, and seamless integration with their printers and tablets, and possibly even create a community within the WebOS users. THe only question is will HP do that?
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    I think you, sinime, and others might be right that HP came in, cut production and they didn't want (or Palm didn't) all that work on the Pre 2 to go to waste. Then when HP started talking to carriers, telling them a brief summery of their devices next year -- Sprint and others could have easily said no to Pre 2 -- and next year they plan to go full swing.

    However, it's possible that the carriers choose not to carry the device because of an utter lack in the Palm Pre brand. Or lack of faith in HP, for that matter. Who knows? Thats why I think HP coming out with some sort of response would be nice.

    I also believe that HP could create an ecosystem, even better then what Apple has done. They could create a "free program" for all HP Windows desktop/notebook's to download and use allowing HP WebOS phones to automatically update with all the users songs and address info, and seamless integration with their printers and tablets, and possibly even create a community within the WebOS users. THe only question is will HP do that?
    HP could do that, but like you said, will they? My hopes are up.
  20. #20  
    I've said it before i'm going to say it again... this was just a small lube job till CES... thats the ONLY thing we can do. Sood said the hardware is amazing MONTHS ago.. So we'll be the judge of that!!! CES countdown!!!

    http://www.cesweb.org/

    53 days 11 hours 54 minutes left!!! there is a countdown on homepage.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions