Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    you negative you positive blah blah blah, We all agree that Palm and HP have messed up so many things and the chance of them getting anything solid to market is getting smaller and smaller
    No, we don't "all" agree with that, but keep trying.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    I would like the list of things that show something is in the works .
    HPalm has said, on several occasions, they will have multiple devices introduced in 2011. You don't release new devices unless you're "cooking something up".

Palm has paid internal employees rewards for writing software. There's a reason for that.

HP moved over 200 employees to the Palm devision. That's not an effort to shut them down.

That's just a few off the top of my head. Certainly only disgruntled naysers can make the claim that there are "no indications" that Palm is working on new products.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    HP moved over 200 employees to the Palm devision. That's not an effort to shut them down.
    It's probably more an effort to suck all the knowledge out of them before making their separate division go away a la VoodooPC.
    This gravy train has a long track ahead. And its not going to get any faster with "coming months" being used at every annoucement. Because by the time the "coming months" is here. No one will care.

Installed Userbase webOS 2.0; Coming Months.
    Verizon and Rogers Palm Pre 2; Coming Months.
    Exciting Roadmap; Coming Months.

What else are we going to see in the "coming months".

If palm doesn't seriously take the cat out of the bag come jan ces 2011, its failwhale for them. You can take your coming months and shove it right up your
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    It's probably more an effort to suck all the knowledge out of them before making their separate division go away a la VoodooPC.
    Based on what? Do you have a source for this, or is it simply speculation?
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ForTheRoad View Post
    I would disagree that those are "better products". I've used all 3 brands and WebOS is the best in my eyes, I don't think I'm alone in this thought process.
    No you are just in the miniority, as represented in various market share charts under "Other OSes".

HPalm has said, on several occasions, they will have multiple devices introduced in 2011. You don't release new devices unless you're "cooking something up".
    This would be nice if it happens. However I will wait to see if it comes to fruition. Companies often have grand plans that do not materialize the way we want. A la Palm Foleo.

Palm has paid internal employees rewards for writing software. There's a reason for that.
    Yes, but so what? As stated above, things can change. I will just wait like the rest, speculation is useless

No, that usually means in buy outs some Palm people will lose their job. What the result of that move is yet to be determined.

That's just a few off the top of my head. Certainly only disgruntled naysers can make the claim that there are "no indications" that Palm is working on new products.
    None of what you stated above is indication of anything, it's pure speculation. You read the signs and interpret them as you see fit, and that is all it is, your interpretation.
    As far as the Palm brand is concerned, yes, that will most likely be absorbed, and at some point in time in the future, it will be laid to rest until someone with enough money wants to buy the brand back and start Palm all over again.

It's happened to Palm already in the past.

It could happen again.
    Based on what? Do you have a source for this, or is it simply speculation?
    Which part? The VoodooPC part? That's what happened to Rahul's company. No reason it wouldn't happen to Palm. It all started with an injection of HP employees into the newly acquired VoodooPC to help out ... and the rest is history. Pretty much the same for Compaq, although they do still maintain a web presence of a sort, but they only sell 3 or 4 computer models on it and all the support links you to an HP site.

It's the HP way of doing the acquisition business.
  9.    #69  
    Which part? The VoodooPC part? That's what happened to Rahul's company. No reason it wouldn't happen to Palm. It all started with an injection of HP employees into the newly acquired VoodooPC to help out ... and the rest is history. Pretty much the same for Compaq, although they do still maintain a web presence of a sort, but they only sell 3 or 4 computer models on it and all the support links you to an HP site.

Compaq was never a good company. VoodooPC still is successful. So was that a bad thing that HP "took over"? Did it hurt VoodooPC? I wouldn't know, voodoo is expensive so i never paid attention (all gaming machines are expensive and for good reason).
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    ...None of what you stated above is indication of anything, it's pure speculation. You read the signs and interpret them as you see fit, and that is all it is, your interpretation.
    Agreed, to a small degree. Yes, they are indications. They're not proof, thus it's still speculation. but, they are indicators.

Actually, I was talking about the transfer of employees. The examples you gave don't hold water. The 200 employees were transferred from within HP to the division that's working on Palm. You don't do that to "suck information" from them. HP already had the information.
    Compaq was never a good company...
    Personally, I thought Compaq made exceptional servers (and lousy desktop computers). At the time, HP had no real market in servers (before anyone goes ballistic, I'm not talking mini's, I mean Intel based servers that ran Novell, Linux, and Windows).

When HP first took over the brand, they substituted their line for Compaq. Don't know about industry-wide, but in the circles I ran in at the time (large hospitals), it made a fortune for Dell.

They (HP) quickly learned their market, and now make a pretty rock solid line of servers. They can learn.
    It won't be much of a surprise if HP drops the Palm brand and integrates everything into HP branded equipment. So what? I would, too. It's hard enough to support one brand let alone two. I'm not going anywhere WebOS isn't going....and I think they know that, too.
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

14.    #74  
    Personally, I thought Compaq made exceptional servers (and lousy desktop computers). At the time, HP had no real market in servers (before anyone goes ballistic, I'm not talking mini's, I mean Intel based servers that ran Novell, Linux, and Windows).

When HP first took over the brand, they substituted their line for Compaq. Don't know about industry-wide, but in the circles I ran in at the time (large hospitals), it made a fortune for Dell.

They (HP) quickly learned their market, and now make a pretty rock solid line of servers. They can learn.
    Well back then I didn't know what a server was, but I was talking about their desktop computers.
    Compaq was never a good company. VoodooPC still is successful. So was that a bad thing that HP "took over"? Did it hurt VoodooPC? I wouldn't know, voodoo is expensive so i never paid attention (all gaming machines are expensive and for good reason).
    I challenge you to find and purchase a VoodooPC from HP or the (now defunct) Voodoo division. you can start at the VoodooPC website (which hasn't been updated in 18 months) and go to their products page to look at their products, which haven't been available for over a year. Then you can answer your own question.
    Actually, I was talking about the transfer of employees. The examples you gave don't hold water. The 200 employees were transferred from within HP to the division that's working on Palm. You don't do that to "suck information" from them. HP already had the information.
    No, HP only had the due diligence information. They didn't have the insider's viewpoint of the hardware/software design process used by Palm to create their products and the insider connections to Palm's wireless providers (which HP seemingly has little knowledge of given their phone sales record to date). Once HP thinks they have all that figured out, they'll start asking the same question that doomed Compaq and Voodoo: "Why do these guys need to operate like a wholly owned subsidiary instead of just another HP division?" Those questions will begin shortly after the first HP webOS-based products, designed and built in the HP era, hit the market.

I realize just because this has already happened repeatedly at HP doesn't mean this time won't be unprecedented and Palm remains independent ... it just seems highly unlikely.

(Here is the part where you try to explain how the Palm situation is so much more unique than Compaq, Voodoo, EDS, blah blah blah - it's really not).
    Well back then I didn't know what a server was, but I was talking about their desktop computers.
    And that's exactly what's wrong with your assessment. Compaq was much more than a desktop PC company. Thus, the assessment of them as a company based on your limited experience was a bit narrow.

I see the same thing happening here with HP being labeled "a printer company". Far from reality.
    No, HP only had the due diligence information. They didn't have the insider's viewpoint of the hardware/software design process used by Palm to create their products and the insider connections to Palm's wireless providers (which HP seemingly has little knowledge of given their phone sales record to date).
    You ae missing the point of what I said. You claimed that HP was likely moving the 200 employees to suck information from them.

The 200 employees I'm talking about already worked for HP. They weren't part of the acquisition. HP already had whatever information they might have wanted from them, because they already worked for HP and had been.

They were transferred to HP's already established division after the acquisition.

Once HP thinks they have all that figured out, they'll start asking the same question that doomed Compaq and Voodoo: "Why do these guys need to operate like a wholly owned subsidiary instead of just another HP division?"
    That may happen, but citing two examples does not mean it's going to happen. Especially citing two examples of products in which HP already had successful competing lines.

On the other hand, HP acquied EDS (an IT consulting company), and kept the name brand (and added their company name to the end of it). There are many other examples of acquisitions by HP where they've maintained a seperate entity within the company.

...I realize just because this has already happened repeatedly at HP doesn't mean this time won't be unprecedented and Palm remains independent ... it just seems highly unlikely.
    Except that it's not "unprecedented", it's already happened with HP.

...(Here is the part where you try to explain how the Palm situation is so much more unique than Compaq, Voodoo, EDS, blah blah blah - it's really not).
    The Palm situation isn't unique within HP, but it most certainly is different the Compaq and Voodoo. HP already had robust PC and server lines when they purchased Compaq and Voodoo. The closest they had to a smartphon was the iPaq, which would hardly be called a "robust" line (at the time of Compaq acquisition). However, as I said, that doesn't make Palm "unique" within HP (see, you don't know what I'm going to say nearly as well as you think). HP has bought other product/service lines that were relatively new to them. Some they merged under HP's name, others they did not.
    I realize just because this has already happened repeatedly at HP doesn't mean this time won't be unprecedented and Palm remains independent ... it just seems highly unlikely.
    Oh, I missed an important part of this.

I don't believe that Palm is "indpendent" even now. Not at all. The name may (or may not) remian, but I don't believe they are acting as an independent company.
  20.    #80  
    I challenge you to find and purchase a VoodooPC from HP or the (now defunct) Voodoo division. you can start at the VoodooPC website (which hasn't been updated in 18 months) and go to their products page to look at their products, which haven't been available for over a year. Then you can answer your own question.
    I didn't know it hasn't been updated in 18 months, it would seem VoodooPC is dead in that case. Sad.

And that's exactly what's wrong with your assessment. Compaq was much more than a desktop PC company. Thus, the assessment of them as a company based on your limited experience was a bit narrow.

I see the same thing happening here with HP being labeled "a printer company". Far from reality.
    HP has never been a printer company to me. But I need to correct my last statement. For some reason, I thought Compaq was bought out in 1998 or 99, back when I didn't understand how the internet worked. But in 2002 when it was actually bought out, I did know what a server was but didn't know Compaq was a server company!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast