Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Its hard to believe that HP bought Palm/WebOS with no plan. So Im not going to believe that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Its hard to believe that HP bought Palm/WebOS with no plan. So Im not going to believe that.
    Who said no plan? Just that they may not have a blockbuster smartphone announcement for CES. Again, consider that they have JUST launched the Palm Pre 2 and are planning to sell it on Verizon soon. Does it seem so unlikely that they don't want to announce a successor 4-6 weeks after launch?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Who said no plan? Just that they may not have a blockbuster smartphone announcement for CES. Again, consider that they have JUST launched the Palm Pre 2 and are planning to sell it on Verizon soon. Does it seem so unlikely that they don't want to announce a successor 4-6 weeks after launch?
    Well the "Palm is doomed" statements are kinda implying that HP isn't doing it right and has no plan to get Palm and WebOS out to people. I agree with most of the rumors that the Pre 2 is just leftovers from the takeover and it was a delayed release. And that they have bigger and better things coming next year. They aren't rushing to do much now but I think they are taking their time to get their stuff straight, and they will hit it hard next year. I think HP knows what they are doing as far as business.
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    It's more common than you think, even having a plan doesn't mean you can pull it off. Often large corporations buy another large corporation because they think it's a good fit and then they find they can't make it work.

This is how you go from:

Online auction site eBay has agreed to buy internet telephone company Skype Technologies in a $2.6bn (£1.4bn) deal.

EBay said it would pay half the amount in cash and the other half in stocks to create "an unparalleled e-commerce and communications engine".
    to

Online auction site eBay has agreed to sell the majority of internet phone company Skype for about $2bn (£1.2bn).

EBay will keep a 35% stake in the firm, which it has been trying to sell for some time. It has said that Skype had "limited synergies" with it.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/ne...eply&p=2759505

The other big question is what Léo Apotheker wants to do - he wasn't involved in the purchase of Palm so he might think that's a strategic misstep and might want to go into an entirely different direction while working out how to off-load Palm or simply take the good IPR and ditch the rest. If you look at the smart-phone marketplace, it all went wrong for Nokia when Jorma Ollila was replaced by Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo, so a new broom can lead to very significant changes in direction.

I'm not saying this is the case but it's hard for any of us to say from the outside what HP are going to do or what the plan is, or indeed how that plan might have changed under Apotheker.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It's more common than you think, even having a plan doesn't mean you can pull it off. Often large corporations buy another large corporation because they think it's a good fit and then they find they can't make it work.

This is how you go from:

to

http://discussion.treocentral.com/ne...eply&p=2759505

The other big question is what Léo Apotheker wants to do - he wasn't involved in the purchase of Palm so he might think that's a strategic misstep and might want to go into an entirely different direction while working out how to off-load Palm or simply take the good IPR and ditch the rest. If you look at the smart-phone marketplace, it all went wrong for Nokia when Jorma Ollila was replaced by Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo, so a new broom can lead to very significant changes in direction.

I'm not saying this is the case but it's hard for any of us to say from the outside what HP are going to do or what the plan is, or indeed how that plan might have changed under Apotheker.
    I agree. "it's hard for any of us to say from the outside what HP are going to do or what the plan is." So I am going to be optimistic and think and hope that next year will bring something new and better. HP JUST bought Palm. Its kinda hard to do something with a new purchase in a matter of months. Especially Create a BRAND NEW device. Which is why I don't think the Pre 2 is actually something HP helped create.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    What serious technology company would have a "small inventory" of their flagship device? Either you are going to make millions of them or you are not. What kind of serious technology company releases something something half-assed just to hold people over? Only a company that doesn't give a crap about its customers or reputation.

PS - I imagine that this thread is doomed - to be moved to the 4000 post General Pre Complaints thread so that it can be hidden away from the sensitive eyes of the Palm faithful.
    No, I suspect that it will stay around. There's got to be a place where the die-hard "I hate Palm" crowd can come an post their nonsense.
    Its kinda hard to do something with a new purchase in a matter of months. Especially Create a BRAND NEW device. Which is why I don't think the Pre 2 is actually something HP helped create.
    I agree...and still stand by this post:

Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Maybe an announcement this early, but certainly no new hardware released until webOS 2.0 is online. The new OS release will be a selling point for the new hardware...something they market to move new devices. Obviously it will be available to the rest of us, but they want to show it optimized on newer (faster, more awesome) hardware. If people are at all disappointed with the OS release on 18-month old hardware, it will have a bit of stigma...deserved or not.
    Once 2.0 is out and about, CES will introduce at least one major handset...possibly two. Maybe even a tablet sneak peek.

I'm also hoping they're holding a few major app releases close to the vest so they can use it to hype the new hardware.
    Well the "Palm is doomed" statements are kinda implying that HP isn't doing it right and has no plan to get Palm and WebOS out to people. I agree with most of the rumors that the Pre 2 is just leftovers from the takeover and it was a delayed release. And that they have bigger and better things coming next year. They aren't rushing to do much now but I think they are taking their time to get their stuff straight, and they will hit it hard next year. I think HP knows what they are doing as far as business.
    You think they're taking their time by announcing a Q1 2011 date for the PalmPad before a tablet-optimized version of WebOS was even finished, much less the garden variety 2.0? I don't even think the Android tablet makers waiting on Honeycomb/3.0 jumped the gun that fast.

As for "HP knows what they are doing", is there any empirical evidence of that as far as smartphones? I mean, from the iPaq to the Palm Pre 2, is there one HP phone device in recent memory that's enjoyed a successful widescale launch? One? Just because a company is large and successful, doesn't mean they are successful at everything they do - even platforms that they spend billions on.
    You think they're taking their time by announcing a Q1 2011 date for the PalmPad before a tablet-optimized version of WebOS was even finished, much less the garden variety 2.0? I don't even think the Android tablet makers waiting on Honeycomb/3.0 jumped the gun that fast.

As for "HP knows what they are doing", is there any empirical evidence of that as far as smartphones? I mean, from the iPaq to the Palm Pre 2, is there one HP phone device in recent memory that's enjoyed a successful widescale launch? One? Just because a company is large and successful, doesn't mean they are successful at everything they do - even platforms that they spend billions on.
    You think they are rushing? Look at any thread or article post on here and you'll find someone saying They NEED to release something soon or good bye Palm. I think they actually do know they need to announce something big in order to keep people around. They've had ownership of Palm since July. I think 6 months is plenty of time to get started on something bigger. At least an announcement at CES. They are taking steps to pull Palm out of the hole they have dug themselves into. Thats not an easy task. And yes, they havent had success in the phone business. But with a new product (webOS) in their hands now, Its not hard to think that could change. All it takes is a great new device to bring people back onto the HP/Palm band wagon. Thats how consumers are.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Interesting. Rojas definitely has the right type of connections to know what's in the pipeline.

The myth of HP taking CES over with a series of knockout punch announcements is really getting a bit absurd. People seem to forget that HP has never indicated anything of the sort for CES and whatever rumors about a major CES announcement are made up by the same people that dreamed up C40 specs for half a year.
    Let me start by saying that I've asked Peter Rojas about this and he tells me in an email that he has no information about what Palm or HP are doing for this CES and that he has never told anybody about what you are saying and he doesn't even know what you are talking about. So you are nothing but trolling here.

Next, it is pretty clear for anybody that HP Palm are cooking something really good for us. You can clearly see everywhere that they are putting a lot of investment in WebOS. Have you seen all the job posting, the new hires, the new advertisements and promotions? Why would they do all that for nothing? Come on... Isn't all this enough?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    When the "more than one large player" roster includes RIM, Apple, and Microsoft (all with significantly better products than HP offers), I'm not really sure what webOS' niche will be.
    I'd hold off on the including Microsoft in that list just yet. Don't know why so many are giving them an automatic berth into the playoffs.
    You think they are rushing? Look at any thread or article post on here and you'll find someone saying They NEED to release something soon or good bye Palm. I think they actually do know they need to announce something big in order to keep people around. They've had ownership of Palm since July. I think 6 months is plenty of time to get started on something bigger. At least an announcement at CES. They are taking steps to pull Palm out of the hole they have dug themselves into. Thats not an easy task. And yes, they havent had success in the phone business. But with a new product (webOS) in their hands now, Its not hard to think that could change. All it takes is a great new device to bring people back onto the HP/Palm band wagon. Thats how consumers are.
    This all sounds familiar. They "had" to release "something" or people would write them off. New OS version that's not quite cooked and still doesn't have certain features and APIs. Hardware that doesn't engage the high-end market enough.

Can't put my finger on it, but there was a recent scenario that was just like this...
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    Next, it is pretty clear for anybody that HP Palm are cooking something really good for us. You can clearly see everywhere that they are putting a lot of investment in WebOS. Have you seen all the job posting, the new hires, the new advertisements and promotions? Why would they do all that for nothing? Come on... Isn't all this enough?
    I've seen new advertisements that show WebOS in passing. The "promotions" are continuations of the same firesale of old inventory that's been going on since HP took over. Actual announcements of major carriers boosting the Pre 2 are few and far between. Ben, Dion, and Rahul Sood are all recent WebOS evangelists who've left for whatever reasons.

How does this add up to "cooking something up" beyond the PalmPad and maybe another phone?
    I've seen new advertisements that show WebOS in passing. The "promotions" are continuations of the same firesale of old inventory that's been going on since HP took over. Actual announcements of major carriers boosting the Pre 2 are few and far between. Ben, Dion, and Rahul Sood are all recent WebOS evangelists who've left for whatever reasons.

How does this add up to "cooking something up" beyond the PalmPad and maybe another phone?
    Maybe someone is paying attention to things that you are not. I know, I know, very hard to conceptualize, but it is a possibility.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Ruby wrote an e-mail to one of our own recently. "Keep the faith".

I can't wait to see what's cooknn :P
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Maybe someone is paying attention to things that you are not. I know, I know, very hard to conceptualize, but it is a possibility.
    Even harder to conceptualize is you actually answering the question I posed instead of yet another personal attack. If you want to jump into discussions I'm having with other people, you kinda need to well...jump in the discussion.
    Even harder to conceptualize is you actually answering the question I posed instead of yet another personal attack. If you want to jump into discussions I'm having with other people, you kinda need to well...jump in the discussion.
    "Personal attack", are you serious?

Here, I'll answer your question, and be a little less oblique is what I was trying to say.

I've seen new advertisements that show WebOS in passing.
    Excellent. That shows that HP is making an effort to keep the OS in view of folks. Could be an indication that they're cooking somthing up, otherwise, why show something they've decided to let die.

The "promotions" are continuations of the same firesale of old inventory that's been going on since HP took over.
    Of course they would want to move old inventory. No matter what stage they are in on "cooking something up", they'll want to get rid of old inventory.

Actual announcements of major carriers boosting the Pre 2 are few and far between.
    No announcements of product that is not yet available is hardly an indicator that there's nothing in the works.

Ben, Dion, and Rahul Sood are all recent WebOS evangelists who've left for whatever reasons.
    Of course this would not be an indicator of "cooking something up". It would be an indicator that some folks have left HP. That's not uncommon after a corporate take over.

In short, nothing you've listed is a clear indicator that Palm is "cooking something up; but then they don't contraindicate that something is in the works either; however, there are several things that do indicate that something is in the works. As is usual, you choose to focus on the negative that you think supports your belief, and ignore the positives that don't.

Would you like a list, or are you going to direct me to some other website (seems you weren't so interested in "discussion" in that case).
  18.    #58  
    "Personal attack", are you serious?

Here, I'll answer your question, and be a little less oblique is what I was trying to say.

Excellent. That shows that HP is making an effort to keep the OS in view of folks. Could be an indication that they're cooking somthing up, otherwise, why show something they've decided to let die.

Of course they would want to move old inventory. No matter what stage they are in on "cooking something up", they'll want to get rid of old inventory.

No announcements of product that is not yet available is hardly an indicator that there's nothing in the works.

Of course this would not be an indicator of "cooking something up". It would be an indicator that some folks have left HP. That's not uncommon after a corporate take over.

In short, nothing you've listed is a clear indicator that Palm is "cooking something up; but then they don't contraindicate that something is in the works either; however, there are several things that do indicate that something is in the works. As is usual, you choose to focus on the negative that you think supports your belief, and ignore the positives that don't.

Would you like a list, or are you going to direct me to some other website (seems you weren't so interested in "discussion" in that case).
    I would like the list of things that show something is in the works .
    The same could be said for them selling it on their website. Next.

Oh, it's available. Palm isn't asking users to beg Sprint to carry it because it's still in the prototype stage. They're asking them because they've already been turned down by numerous carriers.

At first, no. But over a period of several months from people who were vocally supportive seems to indicate what's being "cooked up" isn't particularly tasty.

Flip around the words "negative" and "positive", and it describes you. We've been over this.
    you negative you positive blah blah blah, We all agree that Palm and HP have messed up so many things and the chance of them getting anything solid to market is getting smaller and smaller
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast