1.    #1  
    So many people who were criticizing palm for not releasing a faster processor, were getting blasted about there not being anything faster. Unfortunately, before the release of the Pre 2 in US, there is:

Verizon Motorola Droid 2 Global Now Available For $199, Reviews Appear

Motorola Droid now has a 1.2 Ghz phone on Verizon. Yes, at the time of the announcement of the Pre 2, only 1 Ghz cpus were dominant, however this is the point many are making: palm needs to, for a change, release a product with the latest and greatest processor/hardware not yet available to other manufacturers. With the backing of HP, they should easily be able to do this now.

Yes, I also know that Palm was being acquired at the time and probably had a roadmap in place for the processor they're using. All I'm saying is that perception has been that palm releases the same or less than what everyone else has. (lately, it's been less) I'm hoping that in January, Palm will shock everyone and release something on their phones that no one else has, so others will actually say "hey, that's neat - I want that" again.

If not, well, it's been real....

Just sayin....
    I'm guessing that overclocking the Pre 2 to 1.2 gHz wouldn't be too much of a problem, once our kernal experts do their magic?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    You're missing the point BIG time. It's all about how fast the OS runs, not the processor. Ever tried an iPhone 3GS with iOS 3.x? It runs FASTER than the Palm Pre 2. Yet, the 3GS has a 833 MHz processor that's underclocked to 600 MHz.

Try a 3GS (with iOS 3.x, the 4.x created a lot of problems) and you'll see the OS runs faster, is much more responsive to touch and scrolling in pages is smooth and instantaneous.

The processor is only one part of why a phone runs fast or slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    You're missing the point BIG time. It's all about how fast the OS runs, not the processor. Ever tried an iPhone 3GS with iOS 3.x? It runs FASTER than the Palm Pre 2. Yet, the 3GS has a 833 MHz processor that's underclocked to 600 MHz.

Try a 3GS (with iOS 3.x, the 4.x created a lot of problems) and you'll see the OS runs faster, is much more responsive to touch and scrolling in pages is smooth and instantaneous.

The processor is only one part of why a phone runs fast or slow.
    correct, thats why to me I don't understand why people fuss so much about the number proceeding the MHZ, when theres alot more to it.
    It will be interesting to see what Palm comes up with for CES. My bet is that we'll start getting leaks early Jan about a number of new devices. And My bet is that one of them will get people to sit up and pay attention.
    It's been this way for year. Too many people assume that bigger always means better.

Back the the Intel P4 first came out, it was a TERRIBLE processor in terms of performance, and AMD started selling thier CPU's labeled for which Intel they were faster than. So the 1.9ghz CPU was sold as the 2800+ because it would outperform a 2.8ghz P4.

Same thing with cameras. For year, it was all about megapixels. It didn't matter that for several years Nikon had better low light perfomance, lower noise and a host of other things that gave them better image quality because they were still putting out 6mp SLR's while canon was putting out 15mp.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    What about comparing the specs of the Droid Pro to the Pre 2? The big difference between the two for me was that the Pre 2 didn't have a memory card slot. I wonder when Palm will get around to adding one in a webOS device.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    The big difference between the two for me was that the Pre 2 didn't have a memory card slot.
    Now that one is a meaningful comparison. I would happily take a Pre 2 with no internal storage if it meant an SDHC slot.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    did android solve the saving programs, and games to the SD card issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    did android solve the saving programs, and games to the SD card issue?
    Yes - programs may be installed on removable memory in Android 2.2.
    I don't think it's about actual speed or reality, as much as it's about perception and psychology of buyers. I remember reading somewhere that most consumers won't actually come close to taking advantage of all the features or functionality in a smart phone. However, consumers are fickle and they still want to feel like they have the greatest, newest, shiniest gadget. If the label says 1.2 is greater then anything less then that is *****, even if in reality the 1.0 is just fine for most thing. Normally I wouldn't care about this sort of thinking, but these days, HPalm needs to be thinking this way to get it's share numbers up a bit. Too bad, but true.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoobieDoo View Post
    I don't think it's about actual speed or reality, as much as it's about perception and psychology of buyers. I remember reading somewhere that most consumers won't actually come close to taking advantage of all the features or functionality in a smart phone. However, consumers are fickle and they still want to feel like they have the greatest, newest, shiniest gadget. If the label says 1.2 is greater then anything less then that is *****, even if in reality the 1.0 is just fine for most thing. Normally I wouldn't care about this sort of thinking, but these days, HPalm needs to be thinking this way to get it's share numbers up a bit. Too bad, but true.
    very good point indeed. Yes as we all stated before HP needs to really release a high end slab form factor with a 4inch screen and specs comparable (really better) then what the market request. Understanding most Webos users could care less, they need to do this just to make the majority happy. With that and a push to rev up production in the app catalog, Webos mind share will increase IMO.
    When it comes to most consumers, the speed of the processor matters not. It's the experience. After all, explain the iPhone 3GS. It had a slow processor compared to the Android phones that were starting to come out, and yet the phone kept selling. The way to sell a phone to the masses is to not even advertise the clock speed, but concentrate on the features and what the phone can do. But showing consumers what the phone can do is of utmost importance. It's still something that no regular Palm commercial has done.

If HP can generate some buzz about their new phones at CES, and turn around and advertise the crap out of them, using ads similar to their recent YouTube ad, then they should be able to generate a lot more interest and sales. HP's one secret weapon, however, is to win consumers through the business phone backdoor. They'll try to get a lot of these phones into the hands of consumers via their place of employment, ala RIM. Get people hooked on the experience with their work phone, and they'll buy their own Palm phone. In the end, GHz won't mean jack, as long as the experience is smooth and responsive.

The only thing I would like to see is the dual cores to allow the phone to stay responsive under loads and multitask even more fluently. Beyond that, 1GHz is enough.
    Idea of putting an 1GHz CPU in failed form factor is put under criticism in most cases, not 1GHz CPU itself. Hardware in general is criticized - small lo-res screen, hard to use keyboard and lo capacity battery.
    And OS itself isn't sell point for Pre2. WebOS 2.0 performance is not impressive. It's better than 1.4.5 but stock apps aren't rewritten to perform faster, still no EQ in media player, still buggy pdf reader, no voice commands, no mic and camera APIs, rudimentary calendar not to mention lack of crucial third part apps for WebOS, all of that powered by 1GHz CPU. Why?
    Only upgraded stuff is few things that worked OK on old WebOS, and glass screen.