Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    *Yah, i know the Aral sea is in Eastern Europe and totally polluted, but it was the first to come to mind.
    Aral Sea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    I don't think they should be pushing any of their current phones. I'm hoping they consider these phones to be substandard. They want everyone to save their upgrade for one of the awesome devices coming next year (only 2 months away). I think they want the first experience with HP webOS to be on the new family of phones coming next year.

It would be very easy to royally **** off new customers by selling them a phone, locking them to a 2 yr contract, then introducing a significant upgrade a month later.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by SFHandyman View Post
    It would be very easy to royally **** off new customers by selling them a phone, locking them to a 2 yr contract, then introducing a significant upgrade a month later.
    Yeah but a new Palm phone isnt coming in a month, I guarantee it.

The new devices will be debuted at CES 2011, but dont expect them to be available on carriers until April at the earliest.

If they were coming in a month we would have leaks from carriers and other outlets. Hell the Pre2 will probably take a month to even come out in North America..

So selling someone a Pre2 when the next device is 6 months away, eh, not such a bad thing.
    Don't set yourself up for disappointment and assume so much about CES 2011.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Yeah but a new Palm phone isnt coming in a month, I guarantee it.

The new devices will be debuted at CES 2011, but dont expect them to be available on carriers until April at the earliest.

If they were coming in a month we would have leaks from carriers and other outlets. Hell the Pre2 will probably take a month to even come out in North America..

So selling someone a Pre2 when the next device is 6 months away, eh, not such a bad thing.
    What Cardfan said about getting your hopes up is correct, but let's assume this is what's going to occur.

When the device launches is secondary to when they're announced. If HP announces "new devices" at CES that are ostensibly superior to the Palm Pre 2, then the Palm Pre 2 is dead, dead, dead no matter which carrier gets it. If they can't get a device announced at CES onto carriers sooner than April, those devices will likely also be getting acquainted with the Grim Reaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Regarding this talk of CES, someone mentioned that CES is not a smartphone show. The focus of CES is over a much broader range of consumer electronics. There have certainly been smartphone-focused years but all of these smartphone platforms have launched already. I just don't think the technology media - the attendees of CES (the public can't go) - are going to be focused on smartphone platforms.

Launching new smartphones at CES isn't going to make much of a splash. New smartphones are a dime a dozen, now, compared to 2009.
    They'll be paying attention this year with Verizon giving a keynote regarding their LTE plans, and everyone hoping for a certain announcement.....

...but yeah, CES 2010 was super light on major smartphone stuff, and 2011 will probably be all about tablets. The vast majority of phone stuff this past year was revealed a month later at Mobile World Congress. Interesting quandary for HP Palm. If they blow their load at CES, they may be overshadowed by all of the MWC goodness 30 days later. If they hold back until then, a lot of the "I'm waiting until CES and then I'm out" types around here will likely jump.
    palm certainly made a splash, maybe even a tsunami, in 2009.
    the wave died down quickly of course. But despite it not being a smartphone show, palm stole the show.

I agree, counting on CES for hp to make a splash is a little eager thinking...the takeover has only been a few months and to expect hp to release the biggest baddest product ever is a little unrealistic. However, both palm and hp are announcing something given they have reserved space for the event, so yes, expect a major announcement. No it will not be webOS 2.1...that will come in a separate press release.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    What Cardfan said about getting your hopes up is correct, but let's assume this is what's going to occur.

When the device launches is secondary to when they're announced. If HP announces "new devices" at CES that are ostensibly superior to the Palm Pre 2, then the Palm Pre 2 is dead, dead, dead no matter which carrier gets it.
    Yeah, because when the Blackberry Torch came out, the Bold and Curve were dead, dead, dead.

Not everyone wants a high end smartphone with a 5" screen that doesnt fit in their pocket.

The Palm Pre 2 just isnt that high end smartphone, thats why people were upset with its release.

If Palm had debuted a high end phone, and the Palm Pre 2 at the same time as a mid range phone, I think it would sell.
  9.    #29  
    and 2011 will probably be all about tablets.
    I would assume that HP is going to debut their PalmPad tablet, and say "oh, and we have these other Palm Smartphones coming out with the same OS btw."

Out of the HP products the tablet (if they are debuting it, making assumptions here) would steal the show.
    Yeah, because when the Blackberry Torch came out, the Bold and Curve were dead, dead, dead.
    Huh? You listed two popular handsets that went onsale eons before the Torch - a not particularly popular handset - did. I said that if they launch the Palm Pre 2 in the US in mid-November on one carrier - with others to come later - then announce a much more desirable Palm handset later, then they are shooting the Palm Pre 2 in the foot. How you compare the two scenarios is...a mystery.

Not everyone wants a high end smartphone with a 5" screen that doesnt fit in their pocket.
    Because that's actually a part of this discussion. Wrong thread, friend.

The Palm Pre 2 just isnt that high end smartphone, thats why people were upset with its release.

If Palm had debuted a high end phone, and the Palm Pre 2 at the same time as a mid range phone, I think it would sell.
    It would have to be debuted in the way that doesn't indicate half-hearted shame on the part of its makers. A Press release, pre-production hardware, and making it a foreign exclusive at launch when you're an American company are massive votes of no confidence.
    I would assume that HP is going to debut their PalmPad tablet, and say "oh, and we have these other Palm Smartphones coming out with the same OS btw."

Out of the HP products the tablet (if they are debuting it, making assumptions here) would steal the show.
    So much faith around here...Palm's exactly 50/50 when it comes to "stealing CES" and exactly 0/100 when it comes to outpacing rival mobile OSes. Don't see how that portends a slam dunk.
    Huh? You listed two popular handsets that went onsale eons before the Torch - a not particularly popular handset - did. I said that if they launch the Palm Pre 2 in the US in mid-November on one carrier - with others to come later - then announce a much more desirable Palm handset later, then they are shooting the Palm Pre 2 in the foot. How you compare the two scenarios is...a mystery.
    So you think having a multi-device portfolio is a bad thing? It seems to have worked for other companies. HP already stated there will be multiple form factors released over the coming months. I don't see how positioning the Pre 2 as a mid-level device is a bad thing. Price is everything, so if they sell the Pre 2 cheap enough it won't matter what Palm/HP releases in the coming months.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    So you think having a multi-device portfolio is a bad thing? It seems to have worked for other companies. HP already stated there will be multiple form factors released over the coming months. I don't see how positioning the Pre 2 as a mid-level device is a bad thing. Price is everything, so if they sell the Pre 2 cheap enough it won't matter what Palm/HP releases in the coming months.
    I'm amazed that people here speak with so much confidence on how HP Palm is positioning the Pre 2 in the future. I mean, if you take it on present empirical evidence, they're positioning it to be a quiet failure that they'd like you to beg carriers to offer. But what basis is there for assuming it will be anything - top of the line, middle of the line, whatever - in an HP smartphone lineup in 2011? They've referred to "devices". Netbooks, tablets, printers, phones, etc. There is no confirmed sighting or leaks of other HP Palm smartphones of any spec whatsoever. Codenames gleaned from lines of code? Sounds about as definitive as the C40 showing up on an inventory screen over a year ago.

Also, price is everything? Hardly. The Pre and Pixi were not a success at any price. Even paying the consumer with giftcards and bundles didn't change it.
    A multi device portfolio isn't a bad thing. But it is when your multidevices have failed. Perhaps they should build one that sells first (or is worth marketing) before worrying about multidevice portfolios.

Why not put the Pre 2 on hold til later in 2011 while announcing a slab? That would've been seen as a nod to Pre users. The first palm product from HP along with a webOS 2 announcement should've been entirely new.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I think it's pretty problematic that the Pre has been discontinued by Sprint and Verizon with no successor being announced. I don't think the carriers like to do it that way. Something must be very wrong with HPalm's carrier relationships. When things go bad with carriers - no matter who you are - bad things happen. Think of the Kin.
    This much is true. The Droid Incredible was on the scene before they EOLed the Droid Eris. Sprint didn't retire the Moment until the Intercept showed up. Usually fairly seamless transitions. This....well, it just aint. It also lets you know how much they value "keeping satisfied WebOS customers happy".
  16.    #36  
    Yes but the Curve and Bold hardware have been updated significantly. They are new iterations of the devices. Plus they were updated just before the Torch being released.

And secondly I started this thread so I can talk about whatever I want in it thanks.
    CE-Oh no he didn't!: NVIDIA chief calls Galaxy Tab 'a large phone,' can't wait to show you some real tablets -- Engadget

Huang was bullish about the disruptive potential of tablets, but insisted that they can't simply be built like the Galaxy Tab (or the Folio 100, for that matter), which uses a smartphone OS stretched out to a larger screen. "A tablet is not a large phone," says Huang, and he's of course not alone in expressing frustration with Android's current immaturity for the tablet realm, but once Google's slate-friendly OS update drops, he promises NVIDIA will be ready to capitalize: "Our tablet and phone business is going to ramp. And it's going to ramp hard."
    Where's Leo? Not a peep. It'd be nice to hear something from the head guy at HP.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    CE-Oh no he didn't!: NVIDIA chief calls Galaxy Tab 'a large phone,' can't wait to show you some real tablets -- Engadget

Where's Leo? Not a peep. It'd be nice to hear something from the head guy at HP.
    He's hiding out from Private Investigators - no really...
    I'm amazed that people here speak with so much confidence on how HP Palm is positioning the Pre 2 in the future. I mean, if you take it on present empirical evidence, they're positioning it to be a quiet failure that they'd like you to beg carriers to offer. But what basis is there for assuming it will be anything - top of the line, middle of the line, whatever - in an HP smartphone lineup in 2011? They've referred to "devices". Netbooks, tablets, printers, phones, etc. There is no confirmed sighting or leaks of other HP Palm smartphones of any spec whatsoever. Codenames gleaned from lines of code? Sounds about as definitive as the C40 showing up on an inventory screen over a year ago.

Also, price is everything? Hardly. The Pre and Pixi were not a success at any price. Even paying the consumer with giftcards and bundles didn't change it.
    HP to launch new webOS phones in early 2011 | Reuters

seems like a solid confirmation to me regarding hp announcing webos phones at ces.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12