Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK, let me preface this by saying I don't really believe this guy but...on the off-chance it's true.

I was in a Best Buy in NYC and I saw an HP rep working with the Best Buy people, so I asked the HP rep when the first WebOS tablet would be out and he said it's already out. He claims that only in the "uber-stores" of Best Buy (his words) they already have the WebOS tablet for training the store employees AND that customers can try it out too. (I told him, "No, I don't mean the HP Slate with Windows 7, I mean the one with WebOS." He assured me it was a WebOS tablet) I asked him where these stores were and he said he didn't know of one nearby but said there are a couple in most states. So if anyone's near an "uber" Best Buy, stop in and let us know if there's any truth to this (and bring a camera).

Again, I'm VERY skeptical.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    OK, let me preface this by saying I don't really believe this guy but...on the off-chance it's true.

I was in a Best Buy in NYC and I saw an HP rep working with the Best Buy people, so I asked the HP rep when the first WebOS tablet would be out and he said it's already out. He claims that only in the "uber-stores" of Best Buy (his words) they already have the WebOS tablet for training the store employees AND that customers can try it out too. I asked him where these stores were and he said he didn't know of one nearby but said there are a couple in most states. So if anyone's near an "uber" Best Buy, stop in and let us know if there's any truth to this (and bring a camera).

If this was actually true, it would be all over the net - since not a single tech site has mentioned this, I'd guess the guy was pulling your leg.
    This makes sense, not that it matters for the rest of us; we've previously reported that a webOS tablet is out there in the channel. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    No instead of sprint rep threads we are going to have H/P rep threads. Hallelujah!
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    This makes sense, not that it matters for the rest of us; we've previously reported that a webOS tablet is out there in the channel. {Jonathan}

The sorts of prototypes you are talking about (and HP say a 'early 2011' release) are a world away from actual tablets in stores that people can pick up and play with.

I still say it's bunk.
    I was in a Best Buy in NYC and I saw an HP rep working with the Best Buy people, so I asked the HP rep when the first WebOS tablet would be out and he said it's already out.
    Add HP Rep to my growing list of utterly unreliable information sources for future gear. No reason they should be any different than wireless phone reps, I suppose.

But not so skeptical that you were able to filter out something so obviously impossible and not post about it in the first place? At best, I would say you were semi-skeptical, but still hope-filled.
    I'm sure he was confusing webos wkth the android baby tablet that comes with a printer they recently introduced.

basically it's just enough android to manage the printer. I'm sure that will be replaced by webOS some day, but it's not a real tablet like an iPad or PlayBook.

printer sales reps are not part of the larger hp sales organization. All they do is printers, and they might even be contractors.
    So here's this secretive device that's at uber-best buys (whatever that means), but he's not sure where they are? Maybe on an island somewhere out in the Indian Ocean. This is really dissapointing. I know not to trust too much of anything from sprint, verizon etc. Workers since they seem to many times just make stuff up. Even Sprint representatives will make stuff up sometimes. But someone who's out in the public representing HP just flat out lying is downright disheartening. Pretty much comes down to me not trusting much of anything unless it's in my hands or I see an official video of it on the front page of precentral.net. WebOS users are scouring the globe even going into webOS doctor coding to try and find info, if this had any truth whatsoever there would be news popping up all over the place. Meanwhile while I'm out today I'll go into my local bestbuy and ask them if their a "uber" bestbuy or not. Lol
    Who knows... The truth is more and more people losing hope.(Hp|Palm)
    as a wireless rep I can say that sometimes it's fun to just lie to people flat out about phones. Especially when they think they know more about them than you do, or they're just being rude.

"oh you didn't hear? AT&T actually stopped making the iphone..."
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    No instead of sprint rep threads we are going to have H/P rep threads. Hallelujah!
    qft
    again it bears asking...

what the heck is an "uber" best buy?

it sounds some webOS patch or homebrew best buy app for webOS.

seriously, someone clarify!
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    again it bears asking...

what the heck is an "uber" best buy?

it sounds some webOS patch or homebrew best buy app for webOS.

seriously, someone clarify!

I think an uber bestbuy is like the "already out there tablet"

not a real thing in the way the rep was talking about it.

but for the sake of it, lets say what i think is wrong.

I would imagine an uber best buy is one of the newer ones in a major metropolitan area that has all of the best buy services, such as a magnolia store and whatnot.

a 45,000 foot "super-store" as mentioned here

http://www.twice.com/article/243193-Best_Buy_To_Open_90_New_Flagship_Stores.php

I was in a Best Buy in NYC and I saw an HP rep working with the Best Buy people, so I asked the HP rep when the first WebOS tablet would be out and he said it's already out. He claims that only in the "uber-stores" of Best Buy (his words) they already have the WebOS tablet for training the store employees AND that customers can try it out too. (I told him, "No, I don't mean the HP Slate with Windows 7, I mean the one with WebOS." He assured me it was a WebOS tablet) I asked him where these stores were and he said he didn't know of one nearby but said there are a couple in most states. So if anyone's near an "uber" Best Buy, stop in and let us know if there's any truth to this (and bring a camera).

My younger brother works as a subcontracted in-store trainer for HP in Best Buy, Staples etc... Office supply stores around us. In talking to him last night, the PALMpad is not rolling yet, however the HP Slate has been released to enterprise CEO level users who have special access to madness like that... but not the average user as of now. This particular device is the Windows 7 Slate that HP almost kaboshed a while ago....
    This will not be leaked out until closer to CES. Considering that Best Buy is the worst for keeping corporate secrets, there is no way so called "Uber" Best Buys are going to see anything this soon.

This is like telling my 4 year old to keep his Halloween costume a secret. Never gonna happen.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    if there was a best buy that would have such a device it would be here

Best Buy - Westminster : Store 111 - Westminster, CA - Store Details

which is the largest best-buy built, 58,000 foot (according to my working of the google machine) and has all the ancillary services best buy offers, including a small business solutions center.

I would not be surprised to find out that the slate is available from bestbuy at there small business center locations, as it is an enterprise product.

I would be very surprised for a palmpad to be out in the wild at a retail store, without anything at all leaking out.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    This will not be leaked out until closer to CES. Considering that Best Buy is the worst for keeping corporate secrets, there is no way so called "Uber" Best Buys are going to see anything this soon.

This is like telling my 4 year old to keep his Halloween costume a secret. Never gonna happen.
    OOOOH, I get it, you're saying they are disguising it with a costume so no one can tell that it's webos!
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMiele View Post
    "oh you didn't hear? AT&T actually stopped making the iphone..."
    When did AT&T start MAKING the iPhone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    When did AT&T start MAKING the iPhone?
    I'm so embarassed right now, hahaha.
    I would guess that an "Uber Best Buy" would be one that sells the most product. It would probably be located in a wealthy area lol.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast