Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The front page discusses new device types Broadway, Windsor, Mantaray, and Stingray. It also says that Windsor, Mantaray, and Stingray have something called an "A6" that might have firmware that would get updated.

I haven't seen any speculation around regarding the identity of an A6. What do you think it is? 4G radio?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I'm guessing a gyroscope and/or compass
    maybe the update is to make the gps actually work...
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    a sprint rep told me it was a taser
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3925 View Post
    a sprint rep told me it was a taser
    good laff!
    dual core?
    Wacom A6 digitiser for use with the PalmPad. (Touchscreen and digitiser can and do co-exist)
    johncc may have something with the Wacom A6 digitiser. I'm not sure why you would need a sophisticated pen input on something as small as a phone but I'd like to hear some brainstorming.
  9.    #9  
    Wacom A6, eh? That seems to be the best explanation. Interesting that it might be included on so many products, no?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaganElephant View Post
    johncc may have something with the Wacom A6 digitiser. I'm not sure why you would need a sophisticated pen input on something as small as a phone but I'd like to hear some brainstorming.
    Not on a phone, but would on a slate. Actually the A6 in the Wacom case refers to the 6" x 4" paper size.
    The code suggests that there is an A6 on the devices named "broadway", "windsor" and "mantaray". "Broadway" is supposedly the Pixi 2. I doubt that a Pixi 2 is going to have a Wacom digitizer on it.
    Last edited by sefthuko; 11/06/2010 at 10:47 PM. Reason: or -> and
    Quote Originally Posted by sefthuko View Post
    The code suggests that there is an A6 on the devices named "broadway", "windsor" and "mantaray". "Broadway" is supposedly the Pixi 2. I doubt that a Pixi 2 is going to have a Wacom digitizer on it.
    Good point. And it is not on "stingray" and "roadrunner" (= Pre 2).
    Wow, maybe they got *really* tired of complaints about weak speakers on the Pre, and decided to upgrade to the Bogen A6...

All-Weather Loudspeakers
    A6
    6" woofer and 1-1/8" tweeter
    Maximum power handling capacities of 150W at 8-ohm
    2-Way capability
    High-precision, high-performance sound
    Completely weatherproof, fully-sealed cabinet for indoor and outdoor applications

http://www.bogen.com/products/NEARsp...ages/A6B_L.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Good point. And it is not on "stingray" and "roadrunner" (= Pre 2).
    It stands to reason then that, since the Pixi is typically lighter hardware-wise than the Pre, the A6 isn't a particularly interesting piece of hardware. Is there some hardware that the Pixi had that the Pre didn't that would fall under the 'A6' moniker?
    Quote Originally Posted by sefthuko View Post
    It stands to reason then that, since the Pixi is typically lighter hardware-wise than the Pre, the A6 isn't a particularly interesting piece of hardware. Is there some hardware that the Pixi had that the Pre didn't that would fall under the 'A6' moniker?
    I think its going to be keyboards... i think HP decided to ditch the keybaord and the roadrunner confirmed with a keyboard and stingray hopefully a bigger pre will have a keyboard proportional to an a6 size of the screen.
    A quote by Destinal in the comments on the front page story.

Also A6 may be ARM Cortex-A6 (as opposed to ARM Cortex-A8 in the pre) -- maybe a secondary processor of some kind? Of course this would indicate that if broadway is pixi2 (may or may not be) that it's significantly different architecturally from pixi.
    Definitely something to do with ARM7 processor.

in oe-arm7 is this. (pma6updater being called if A6 is present)

Package: pma6updater
    Version: 1.0.0-5
    Depends: armtoolchain (>= 4.3)
    Section: Linux/Applications
    Architecture: armv7
    Maintainer: OpenEmbedded Team <openembedded-devel@lists.openembedded.org>
    Filename: pma6updater_1.0.0-5_armv7.ipk
    Source: svn://subversion.palm.com/main/nova/palm/pma6updater/submissions;module=5;proto=http
    Description: A6 Firmware Updater
    Quote Originally Posted by jbennett View Post
    Wow, maybe they got *really* tired of complaints about weak speakers on the Pre, and decided to upgrade to the Bogen A6...

All-Weather Loudspeakers
    A6
    6" woofer and 1-1/8" tweeter
    Maximum power handling capacities of 150W at 8-ohm
    2-Way capability
    High-precision, high-performance sound
    Completely weatherproof, fully-sealed cabinet for indoor and outdoor applications

http://www.bogen.com/products/NEARsp...ages/A6B_L.jpg

I KNEW IT!! i cant wait to walk around with a 6 in sub on me at all times, my beats gon-b-bumpin. of course i guess everyone in the 1/4 mile radius will be able to listen in on my surround sound conversations but thats the price i will pay for that sick bass line... ha
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    So it starts a firmware updater... can we not look at the firmware itself that it's updating and figure out what it is based on that better than guessing?
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Definitely something to do with ARM7 processor.

in oe-arm7 is this. (pma6updater being called if A6 is present)
    If it called ARM v7 instruction set then it uses CPU of Cortex generation. ARM11 CPUs uses v6 instruction set.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast