View Poll Results: wacom/n-trig digitizer?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • I wouldn't buy it without one

18 26.47%
  • Depends on the price difference

22 32.35%
  • No, I don't want an active digitizer at all

6 8.82%
  • I'm getting the PalmPad either way

22 32.35%
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys,
    pretty self explanatory question. If you don't know what an active digitizer is, it is something that can track the movement of a pen(when it's within an inch or two of the screen). This makes at lot of things easer to and, more importantly, makes writing 100 times nicer.

Personally, I would absolutely love it so that I could use it to take notes at university. As far as I'm concerned, a tablet without an active digitizer(e.g. ipad, galaxy tab) is just a toy and really kind of a waste of money. Something like the hp win7 tablet, on the other hand, are true productivity tools.

So, is this important to you?
    One of those things that I'd really like to see, preferably available as a separate model so people have the option of buying with or without. It's also one of the factors I think HP could make a big deal about, especially if they managed to get a good note taking / PDF annotation set up going.
    I think it would make the tablet device many times more useful.
    It would be awesome if it had this, but not only this, but also a resurgence of Palm Graffiti, so that not only would it let you use a pen, but also so that it would convert my chicken scratch into actual text.

Palm invented Graffiti, lets see them own the competition in this department.

*EDIT*, How hard would it be for Palm to take the handwriting recognition added into the Chinese Palm Pre's and slap it onto the PalmPad? (Modified for English of course!)

http://images.precentral.net/sites/p.../chinarom2.png
    Last edited by rmausser; 11/05/2010 at 03:25 PM.
    I would buy it...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Oh, hell yes.
    Not just writing, but drawing. This would encourage apps in that arena, too.
    I currently have an HP EliteBook 2740p, and the pressure sensitive wacom digitizer is what makes it for me. Being able to draw and take notes on it just like a pad of paper is amazing. If I had that in a thinner, lighter, more power efficient package like the PalmPad, I would be all over it. And I know several graphics designers that would be too.
    I will buy it either way, but would really love to see a pen. That will be a real differentiator
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
  9.    #9  
    I'm glad to see that there actually is some interest. Hopefully hpalm takes this into consideration.
    there is a difference though between being able to use a normal pen and the PalmPad coming with a stylus.

If the PalmPad comes with a stylus, HP and Palm will be the laughing stock of the tech world.

Right now it is VERY uncool and unpopular for a device to be stylus based. Its considered outdated tech.

So it would have to be the digitizer style that you can use regular pens.

Heaven forbid that HP puts a stylus in the PalmPad, or else Palm and WebOS will actually be finished if that happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    there is a difference though between being able to use a normal pen and the PalmPad coming with a stylus.

If the PalmPad comes with a stylus, HP and Palm will be the laughing stock of the tech world.

Right now it is VERY uncool and unpopular for a device to be stylus based. Its considered outdated tech.

Heaven forbid that HP puts a stylus in the PalmPad, or else Palm and WebOS will actually be finished if that happens.
    It wouldn't matter if the HP Pad was released with a pen so long as you could still use your fingers as a primary interface too. Why do you think there's such a market for capacitive screen pens for the iPad like these models? Many people want to be able to use these tablet devices like a notepad and a pen-like device is just the thing to make it work. Whether or not a pen is included with a tablet really makes no nevermind.
    I REALLY REALLY think from a marketing perspective that it shouldnt come with a Pen.

Thats just my take.

People are stupid and then once they see it comes with a pen, let the ****** comments like "welcome to 1993, what is this, a Palm Pilot??" fly.

The GP are idiots and when they see a pen they just jump to conclusions that it cant use finger capacitive touch.
    And this post and poll assumes everyone is buying one, but not everyone is doing so.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post

The only way(that I know) that a device could use a "normal pen" would be if it had a resistive touch screen which would be the worst decision that palm has ever made. That would make it very hard to use with your fingers and it would still be practically useless with a pen. Like I said originally, an active digitizer makes inking 100 times nicer. It's seriously like night and day.

I see what you're saying though. The general public might not understand the importance of having a pen. This would be a great reason for them two have two different models.

And verwon, I sort of assumed that people who don't want a PalmPad at all, wouldn't really care if there's an active digitizer or not. I suppose I should have added another option anyway though. Sorry about that.
    resistive and capacitative can coexist on the same screen.
    ^ and HP already sell that configuration.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Stice View Post
    I currently have an HP EliteBook 2740p, and the pressure sensitive wacom digitizer is what makes it for me. Being able to draw and take notes on it just like a pad of paper is amazing. If I had that in a thinner, lighter, more power efficient package like the PalmPad, I would be all over it. And I know several graphics designers that would be too.
    yup, love mine on my hp tm2.

that being said, i dont view the palmpad in the same light. to me, its a bigger pre thats more geared for media.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
  18.    #18  
    do you like your tm2?
    I currently have a fujitsu t5010 convertible tablet but it needs to be replaced soon
    the tm2 with an i5 and a radeon graphics chip is just such a good deal that it's hard to pass up
    though I kind of like the idea of getting a slate
    unfortunately, the hp slate 500 is not available in canada.. yet anyway
    but I'm going on an 8 month work term in january(and therefore won't need my tablet because I just use it for taking notes at university) so I suppose I can wait until september and then see what's available then(hopefully a palmpad with an active digitizer =])
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    What ever happened to the rumors of a webOS tablet that supports a pen? I can't see anything about a stylus or pen in the engadget leaks and I'd really like one.