Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    ...has apparently been thrown out the window by T-Mobile?!

It used to be the case that friends who wanted to send me a text message (on my voicestream treo) could go to the message center on voicestream.com and send one for free. This is good for people who do not have cell phones, or have crappy plans that don't allow a bucket of outgoing SMS...

With the new website, www.t-mobile.com, I can't seem to find a way to send messages. Sure, I can log into MyT-Mobile and send one, but people without a T-Mobile account cannot. What's the point - or am I missing something?

--Steve
    It's slightly slower, but XXXXXXXXX@voicestream.net, where XXXXXXXXXX is your phone number will work with any email..
    Originally posted by septimus
    It's slightly slower, but XXXXXXXXX@voicestream.net, where XXXXXXXXXX is your phone number will work with any email..
    The voicestream domain name still works but it will eventually disappear. xxxxx@tmomail.net will work now and in the future.

I will also miss the "number of characters remaining" countdown that was displayed on their site. Be sure to remind your friends to keep it short.
    that is so lame that they took off that feature from the website. ugh.
    Seems to me like it wouldn't be too hard to program this with a simple javascript/cgi cooperation that e-mailed the input to xxxxxxxxxx@tmomail.com
    true it wouldn't be hard, the dumb thing is why did they take it off when i was there on the main site before....
    I can see it from a business standpoint (someone has to 'pay' for those messages), but if you already gave customers that feature (on voicestream's website), it sucks that you take it away.

But, another alternative is to have your friends send SMS messages via ICQ. It even gives you the character count (like voicestream's website). Start-up ICQ and go click on 'Services' and choose 'Send SMS Message'. It then prompts you for the country and phone number.

Actually, you can send SMS messages (world-wide) to anyone using ICQ. I can't guarantee how long it takes, but I'll give it a test this weekend.

Again, I agree that it was a nice feature that T-mobile has taken away. Oh well.....

Oh, btw, did anyone notice that you can change your e-mail address on your phone on T-mobile's website. I haven't done this, but does this mean that when I do, instead of ##########@tmomail.net, I can have 'robertruelan@tmomail.net' as an address?

Thanks...
    Originally posted by robertruelan

Oh, btw, did anyone notice that you can change your e-mail address on your phone on T-mobile's website. I haven't done this, but does this mean that when I do, instead of ##########@tmomail.net, I can have 'robertruelan@tmomail.net' as an address?

Thanks...
    Yup, that's exactly what that means... you don't have to give out that long email address and also when you log in you can use that alias.
    Can you post a link to where you can change your @tmomail user name? I can't find it, and I'm having problems with many parts of the Tmobile web site. Not sure if it's me or them...

Thanks!
    Actually, you could have done the same with voicestream.net
    Can you post a link to where you can change your @tmomail user name?
    After you login to 'mytmobile':

https://www.t-mobile.com/mytmobile/c...ion/messaging/

Then choose 'Change my phone's e-mail address'.. voila!

I'm also getting alot of issues with T-mobile's website today, so...

Good luck
    Is ICQ free? How do I log on?

Renee
    Is ICQ free? How do I log on?
    Yes, it is free like AOL Instant Messenger or MS Messenger. Actually, it is one of the oldest forms of IM around.

You can go to :

http://web.icq.com/

Download and sign-up. Good luck
    BUMP

Mobile.yahoo.com now has a place to send SMS messages.