Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    HP/Palm really sucks at building up any kind of anticipation.
    Can't really blame them. Look at what they're working with. "It's the same thing but the screen is glass now" is a tough sell.
    I don't think the Pre 2 was made for people to hugely anticipate. Although I am anticipating webOS 2.0 and CES a lot so they are doing something right.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    This coming from someone who made the subject of a new thread "Wow..." I don't know why I was anticipating something interesting when I opened it.
    haha. yeah I was thinking the same thing. I was thinking something great was gonna be in this post and then I'm let down, because it's just another complaint.

Definitely a double standard in this post. No offense yankboy.
    Heh, hypocrite.
    Double FAIL...

1. Title = FAIL
    2. One sentence origin post = FAIL

But thanks for putting your opinion out there for all of us to comment on

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    I believe there is no build up because HP isn't sure how to position it. My guess is that the P2 was never meant to be the successor to the P+, but to the Pre. Sprint users: the largest user base, had to be the target. I further speculate that Palm, then HP, ran into unexpected trouble with the carriers. They found doors being shut in their face, so they didn't release it in a timely manner.

I'm guessing that the only reason they are releasing at this time is because they have only now found a couple of launch partners for it. Unfortunately, the one launch partner they needed is not yet on board. In fact, Sprint is openly polling its users to see if there is enough interest in the platform to fool with it.

I'm guessing the delay was due to carrier revolt, not money. This is why HP does not know how to position it now. It is not an obvious upgrade for P+ owners. Further, people are already looking past this model to the next one, rumored to be announced in a couple of months.

How are they supposed to position it? Is it a feeble attempt to stay in the headlines for a couple of months when it will be obsoleted? Or, is it actually the best they can offer and should be considered the superphone everyone has been waiting for?
    Actually, it'd be a HUGE mistake to build up a big campaign around the Pre 2. It's NOT a flagship device and if HP made it out to be one, that'd look bad for the future of webOS/HP/Palm. They need this to be an "incremental" hardware upgrade and then blow everyone away at CES.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Actually, it'd be a HUGE mistake to build up a big campaign around the Pre 2. It's NOT a flagship device and if HP made it out to be one, that'd look bad for the future of webOS/HP/Palm. They need this to be an "incremental" hardware upgrade and then blow everyone away at CES.
    True. Do a subsidized upgrade for current users and sell to the few who may want to jump in with the current hardware. Either provide an upgrade path that involves the service providers no more than changing an ESN number, or make it a crazy attractive deal and open a limited window at the phone store of choice where you could upgrade the device on the spot.

They need to turn this spec-bump into a marketing opportunity. It would get attention to have even the modest numbers of users come into the store in a short time period and chat up the phones as they pick up their upgrades.

They would have to work out terms with the carriers, but it would be a much easier sell and could generate goodwill and some positive buzz. Portraying this as "the next big thing" will only backfire.

By no means should they make a big deal of this release. Blow them away with the new phones KNOWN to be coming.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    Double FAIL...

1. Title = FAIL
    2. One sentence origin post = FAIL

But thanks for putting your opinion out there for all of us to comment on
    I'm one of the few people in this forum actually looking forward to the release of the Pre 2.
    I saw the baby phone to printer commercial 5 time during Sundays football games. If HP can just put some of that advertising power behind webOS 2 and the new Palm devices just before they launch, they can show how to build anticipation
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    I'm one of the few people in this forum actually looking forward to the release of the Pre 2.
    I am too, the more devices they have out on the market the better, I am just choosing to hold off until they release something better.

I am very glad to see a 2nd generation device come out of Palm, when most the tech blogs were calling them dead.
    Last edited by Butters3605; 11/01/2010 at 05:39 PM.

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    I think if priced right for it's specs, it would market well as a "first smartphone" for those not looking to buy Android or RIM but still want a smartphone. Also people looking for something fresh over the other 2.

One bad thing though is the Droid 2 and Incredible were just lowered to $150. So anyone who thought Verizon flagship Androids are too expensive and thought of getting something else may rethink that. I'm not sure the Pre 2 can drag away people who really want Android at this point. There's also the LG Ally to contend with, it sells well under $100 and is still a capable phone.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    [COLOR="Navy"]I think if priced right for it's specs, it would market well as a "first smartphone" for those not looking to buy Android or RIM but still want a smartphone.
    I dunno.. can you think of any situations where someone looking for a My First Smartphone would NOT want an Android phone or even a $99 iPhone 3GS?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I dunno.. can you think of any situations where someone looking for a My First Smartphone would NOT want an Android phone or even a $99 iPhone 3GS?
    Yes people who don't want to "buy-in" on Google collecting their information (they are out there), and those who do want to "buy-in" on Apple's "closed" minded system, or just don't want an Apple product (stigma). Believe it or not, not everyone uses/likes itunes and if you are not an itunes user, no real advantage to going to the iPhone. Not everyone out there cares about app counts, the average user isn't looking for 300K apps. They just want something better an a "feature phone".

Remember that 80% of the cell users don't ever own a smart phone, that means 80% probably know nothing or care about specs features, apps, etc.
    Last edited by Butters3605; 11/01/2010 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    Yes people who don't want to "buy-in" on Google collecting their information (they are out there), and those who do want to "buy-in" on Apple's "closed" minded system, or just don't want an Apple product (stigma). Believe it or not, not everyone uses/likes itunes and if you are not an itunes user, no real advantage to going to the iPhone. Not everyone out there cares about app counts, the average user isn't looking for 300K apps. They just want something better an a "feature phone".

Remember that 80% of the cell users don't ever own a smart phone, that means 80% probably know nothing or care about specs features, apps, etc.
    I can't prove it but I can't see anyone who is about to make their first smartphone purchase caring about Google's datamining or Apple's closed infrastructure for the same reason most people buy Windows PCs or Macs as their first computers, rather than something running Ubuntu,
    RIM=boring to a lot of people.
    Android=geeky to a lot of people.
    Apple=AT&T and "don't want" to many people.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    RIM=boring to a lot of people.
    Android=geeky to a lot of people.
    Apple=AT&T and "don't want" to many people.
    I think those are the opinions of people who have their own dogs in the race. Do you think someone coming from, say, a Razr 2 would really care about Android being geeky? Or would they be more likely to think "whoa, look at all the stuff I can do."
    Here is an example for you, my mother has at&t, she has a feature phone, basic.

We introduced her to Google calendar/gmail so she would stop asking us all the time if we were busy or working or whatever. Now she can just look at the calendar.

She does gave a crap about apps, in fact she is annoyed by all her co-workers spending all day messing around with their iPhones and not working. She just wants to be able to view/edit her calendar as well as ours, she wants to be able to text, and very rarely browse the web. Sounds like a good candidate for a Pixi... And you can't beat the price, Free!

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...equestid=80376

I think those are the opinions of people who have their own dogs in the race. Do you think someone coming from, say, a Razr 2 would really care about Android being geeky? Or would they be more likely to think "whoa, look at all the stuff I can do."
    People still have RAZR 2s??

And yes, it seems that Android is viewed as geeky by many mainstream.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast