Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    Why HP bought Palm Originally appeared in the gdgt newsletter: The recent... - gdgt

    Great new article written by the co-founder of Engadget, Gizmodo and Joystiq. Guy knows his stuff.
  2. #2  
    A great article indeed. It helps clarify what HP's business inclination is.
  3. #3  
    Good article indeed.
  4. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #4  
    Good article, it will be interesting to see if HP will be able to build a brand around WebOS that consumers see as having some value.
  5. #5  
    Great article. Shouldn't be long before we see how aggressive they are about pricing and bundling. Are they smart enough to lose tons of money now for a much improved chance at success later?
  6. #6  
    damn good article, and this is what some of us have been saying since the acquisition. HP is playing their cards HARD in the smartphone area, because that along with tablets is where the market is turning. They cant afford to try to remain on top just supplying hardware like HTC, and Samsung is doing. As I stated before its all about cloud connecting multilple devices together that are mobile, with a OS that can do it.
  7. #7  
    I would make one significant correction to the article. HP is not the #1 PC maker. If you count iPads as PC, (and you can rest assured HP will count their tablets that way), Apple is the #1 PC maker in the US. HP is not trying to maintain a lead; their playing catch up.
  8. #8  
    Extremely well written.

    Great insight, too.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I would make one significant correction to the article. HP is not the #1 PC maker. If you count iPads as PC, (and you can rest assured HP will count their tablets that way), Apple is the #1 PC maker in the US. HP is not trying to maintain a lead; their playing catch up.
    I would make one significant correction to your posting: "they're."

    Oh, and also, links? Source? I'm not saying you're certainly wrong, I'm just going with what I see out there in the way of HP PCs vs iAnythings --with the exception of phones, of course-- and it leads me to believe that it is probably close, most likely with HP eeking out a lead. I haven't bothered to research and have no source. I'm going off of what I see out in the world.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by igobytony View Post
    I would make one significant correction to your posting: "they're."

    Oh, and also, links? Source? I'm not saying you're certainly wrong, I'm just going with what I see out there in the way of HP PCs vs iAnythings --with the exception of phones, of course-- and it leads me to believe that it is probably close, most likely with HP eeking out a lead. I haven't bothered to research and have no source. I'm going off of what I see out in the world.
    Um... Your correction is actually incorrect. "Their" is the possessive form of "they". "They're" is the contraction of "they are". Awkward...

    As to your second point,

    AppleInsider | Categorizing iPad as PC would make Apple largest US seller

    Enjoy.
    Last edited by dandbj13; 10/29/2010 at 04:21 PM. Reason: correcting the correction of a correction.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Um... Your correction is actually incorrect. "Their" is the possessive form of "they". "They're" is the contraction of "they are". Awkward...
    are you trying to say that they are in possession of "trying to catch up"?
    if you can replace what you say with they are it should be they're.
    ie. They're trying to catch up. = They are trying to catch up.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_halvorson View Post
    are you trying to say that they are in possession of "trying to catch up"?
    if you can replace what you say with they are it should be they're.
    ie. They're trying to catch up. = They are trying to catch up.
    Are you calling me an *****? If so, I can't help but to agree. (Buries face in shame.) If only this was the worst mistake I made in my life.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Are you calling me an *****? If so, I can't help but to agree. (Buries face in shame.) If only this was the worst mistake I made in my life.
    it's all good, i've done plenty worse.

    and thanks for the link, i'll check it out when i get home from work.
  14. #14  
    this article makes me think that webos is perfect for tablets, because the form factor is between a phone and netbook, and the os is between a single tasking phone os, and the messy windows of..windows
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Are you calling me an *****? If so, I can't help but to agree. (Buries face in shame.) If only this was the worst mistake I made in my life.
    No not at all, I just had to point it out. I used to think that pants started with a silent K. In all seriousness I've made plenty of dumb mistakes, and I'm sure we'll both make more in the future. Such is life.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Um... Your correction is actually incorrect. "Their" is the possessive form of "they". "They're" is the contraction of "they are". Awkward...

    As to your second point,

    AppleInsider | Categorizing iPad as PC would make Apple largest US seller

    Enjoy.


    well heres one reason why a tablet like the ipad will never be considered a PC

    I believe including the iPad in "PC" sales is an error. My reasoning is pretty easy to follow as well. The iPad won't even let you use it until you've used another computer to activate it. Many of the files you would want to throw on it will need to be synced using iTunes. The iPad isn't a PC, it's a PC accessory. When you can't use it individually without being limited in some way, it can rarely be called a PC. But hey, maybe that's how I see it.

    Newsvine - Why the iPad can't be considered a PC.


    and another

    The iPad isn't a computer, it's a distribution channel - O'Reilly Radar

    and another

    The iPad is not a computer


    so yes i can go on and on about why the ipad in paticular is not a computer, and is not catagorized that way. So yes HP is number 1.

    and for the record though the hp slate is considered a PC:

    http://www.buzzle.com/articles/hp-sl...-launched.html
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    so yes i can go on and on about why the ipad in paticular is not a computer, and is not catagorized that way. So yes HP is number 1.

    and for the record though the hp slate is considered a PC:
    If this is to be a battle of linked articles, I like my chances. However, I will skip all that. Frankly, I have no idea how the iPad should be categorized. Is it a PC? According to Balmer, everything's a PC. The phone in your pocket has more personal computing power than the computers that sent the first rocket to the moon.

    Are we limited to the IBM compatible notion of PC's? For a long time, Macs weren't considered PCs. There was a time when people didn't consider laptops as PCs. Does formfactor or OS determine what a PC is?

    Plenty of people buy iPads fully activated at the Apple Store, never to connect them to another computer. Is it a PC for them? What about the people who bought and use an iPad instead of a different PC? Is the iPad a PC for them?

    The iPad is faster and more useful than a netbook to millions of users. It has usurped the category of secondary computer in less than a year. It runs an OS that is a platform in and of itself, it runs third-party applications, it can upload and download to and from the internet, it can be used to consume and create content, and it can take the place a traditional a PC in many circumstances. If being a PC is a crime, there is plenty of evidence with which to convict the iPad.

    In a world without the iPad, HP is the #1 PC maker. But we don't live in that world. We live in a world that is being redefined and reshaped as we speak. In this world, the iPad sure acts like a PC. In this world, Apple is the #1 PC maker.
  18. #18  
    You can't hook your iPhone up to your iPad to use iTunes, which is a vital organ in the iBody without which all is lost. An iPad can NOT replace a full-fledged PC as it is now, especially not if you use Apple. My Pre is more autonomous than an iPad, I don't need to hook it up for anything, not even data transfer. Any iDevice (the iMac notwithstanding) needs a proprietary USB cable as an umbilical, to be attached to a PC.

    But let's just redefine the entire dictionary, folks - Apple isn't being celebrated hysterically enough!
  19. #19  
    Correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't HP not just the largest PC company in the U.S., but in the world?
  20. #20  
    It runs an OS that is a platform in and of itself, it runs third-party applications, it can upload and download to and from the internet, it can be used to consume and create content, and it can take the place a traditional a PC in many circumstances.
    The Treo did all of that but i wouldn't consider it a PC. But heck, why stop with ipad? Let's consider the iphone, ipod touch computers as well.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions