webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Nation Community >  General News & Discussion > webOS: grid view?
webOS: grid view?

Old 10/27/2010, 12:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

So I was looking over the patent Palm filed for multi-tasking using the card metaphor. Cool part about that is that stacks have been a idea from the start (Apr 2009) but the patent also cover something called Grid mode.

Basically grid mode calls for grids of 4 and 9 visible apps/cards and a 16 card grid with scrolling.

pics of the patent attached.

I think this would be awesome for our future PalmPad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grid mode.JPG (26.7 KB, 172 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg grid1.JPG (70.2 KB, 112 views) Email Attachment
doc31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2010, 12:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Good find, maybe we'll get this as a surprise bonus in a future update.
mjkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2010, 12:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

but its seems as grid mode utilizes the mini card view , which was removed from 2.0

follow me on twitter or Catch me at LOOT

ATTN: If You like my Patches or Themes please feel free to DONATE
sketch42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2010, 12:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
but its seems as grid mode utilizes the mini card view , which was removed from 2.0
I read that maybe mini card view the way it is now is being removed for this alternate grid view. Just wishful thinking...
mjkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: sketch42
Old 10/27/2010, 01:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
I'm pretty sure it's a safe bet that 2.0 for mobile phone and the pad won't be the same.

Also it mentions how to change views like gestures down swipes and changing the orientation of the device

Last edited by Doc31; 10/27/2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10/27/2010, 01:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Only issue I see is when you go to the 4x4 grid, because of the size of each screen, it's almost like just pulling up the launcher only that it shows what's running.
Old 10/27/2010, 01:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinime View Post
Only issue I see is when you go to the 4x4 grid, because of the size of each screen, it's almost like just pulling up the launcher only that it shows what's running.
that's what I was gna say. But if you go too small, you can't even see what app it is..might as well cover it up with it's icon
patricksmangan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2010, 01:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
like widgets?

follow me on twitter or Catch me at LOOT

ATTN: If You like my Patches or Themes please feel free to DONATE
sketch42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2010, 01:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I would hope its not a default view kinda like expose...
standard view then maybe pinch in or rotate to get to grid view. If would much easy to get to different card/stacks and rearrange stuff.
Old 10/27/2010, 01:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
that's what I was gna say. But if you go too small, you can't even see what app it is..might as well cover it up with it's icon
or apps could have a grid view scene and only display vital info... like widgets
Garrett92C is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by Doc31, sketch42
Old 10/27/2010, 01:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
or apps could have a grid view scene and only display vital info... like widgets
I like that!
Old 10/27/2010, 01:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

maybe you could have stacks viewed in a grid, and kind of have them all "active" at the same time. it would take a bigger screen, but that would be great for multitasking jobs such as reading something on one card to type into another. and would make a lot of sense for the stacks, since they are meant to be grouped as things that you are using for the same task. i hope the way i worded that made sense, as it was far from eloquent.

being able to have a stack spread out like this on the tablet would be totally -how do you say? "wicked awesome."
igobytony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2010, 01:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Grid view + stacks = almost solitaire
Garrett92C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2010, 03:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

3.0 Feature
GodShapedHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2010, 03:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

I can't wait for this! This is ne of those features that is really missing from the current version.
coolguyslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2010, 03:37 PM   #16 (permalink)

Keep in mind that this is still an application. With the current backlog in the USPTO, depending on the "art department", it could be as long as two years from now before an examiner opens it up. Depending on what the examiner thinks, it can be ages after that before it matures into a patent.

Either way, I'm sure there are interesting applications and uses for Grid Mode. Within the PalmPad environment comes to mind.
circadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2010, 03:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

I like that grid mode much more than the current linear instantiation of cards. You can see more processes at a time and probably switch more quickly between running programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
Grid view + stacks = almost solitaire
Kupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2010, 03:51 PM   #18 (permalink)

I imagine that there are many patent applications hanging out there, so one could spend a lot of time going through them, but here's another "grid" function:

http://www.google.com/patents?id=N3L...0%2C613&edge=0

That application is 12/505,543 and it describes the images as one that is "depicting an example of a grid layout for a hierarchical launch wave".

I have to imagine there's tons to find out by reading through all of Palm's published applications. But who's got the time?

Also, think of all the applications that are probably filed but haven't been published yet and what might be in them.
Old 10/27/2010, 03:56 PM   #19 (permalink)

i was looking for Palms webOS related patents yesterday. could you please point me in the right direction?
mhunterjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/27/2010, 04:06 PM   #20 (permalink)

Sure. Probably the simplest way is to go to Google Patents and go to the advanced search and put "palm inc." in the "Assignee Name" form. Or you can just put this into the regular search: "inassigneealm inassignee:inc" (without the quotes) as it does the same thing.

Of course, you can search United States Patent and Trademark Office, but it's fairly unwieldy for non practitioners. If you really want to go in depth, though, the USPTO's "Public PAIR" system will give you most of what you want to know, especially if you're looking into applications.

EDIT: the smiley should not be there. In lieu of the smiley, it should be colon (":") and the letter "p". Anyway to turn these things off!?!?

Last edited by circadia; 10/27/2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: ugh, smilies!
Thanked By: Mhunterjr

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0