View Poll Results: How should Hp go about the palm name?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep all the palm products as is, "palm"

    8 44.44%
  • Slowly integrate it in to eventually so that it all becomes hp

    2 11.11%
  • Make it all Hp, just go for it

    4 22.22%
  • Maybe certain aspects such as Hp webos but keep it Palm Pre

    2 11.11%
  • Rename the whole thing Pepperidge farms and give out a free potato with each purchase

    2 11.11%
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    While most of us would like to keep the palm name to hold some "dignity" in the crowd of Hp, it would probably be the best for the entire WebOS operation to rebrand it all under Hp, that includes the new pre2. Just think about it. People likely think of palm as an outdated company holding on by a thread, or those guys who made those big treos. Most people probably dont know about the fact that Hp bought palm and they now have a plethera of resources. Hp is a huge company that is oh so respected. It really would be best for the future of the sub-company palm.
  2. #2  
    I think the opposite is true. HP has a less than stellar reputation. Wasn't too long ago that they were facing bankruptcy. I am disappointed that HP went forward with the Slate tablet PC using Windows. Had they used WebOS, HP could have taken the first credible steps toward rebirth. As they did, HP took a half-assed approach and is going to pit the Slate against the iPad and Samsung Tab.

    At least Palm represented innovation. HP represents the same old yesterday.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by neutron View Post
    I think the opposite is true. HP has a less than stellar reputation. Wasn't too long ago that they were facing bankruptcy. I am disappointed that HP went forward with the Slate tablet PC using Windows. Had they used WebOS, HP could have taken the first credible steps toward rebirth. As they did, HP took a half-assed approach and is going to pit the Slate against the iPad and Samsung Tab.

    At least Palm represented innovation. HP represents the same old yesterday.
    Exactly - I'm with you 1,000,000%.
  4. jwinn35's Avatar
    Posts
    390 Posts
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    #4  
    I don't think hp wants to have the pre2 branded hp in case it flops like pre1.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinn35 View Post
    I don't think hp wants to have the pre2 branded hp in case it flops like pre1.
    You bring up a good point, but eventually they need to let people know that they are running one of the best (if not the best) softwares made.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by neutron View Post
    I think the opposite is true. HP has a less than stellar reputation. Wasn't too long ago that they were facing bankruptcy. I am disappointed that HP went forward with the Slate tablet PC using Windows. Had they used WebOS, HP could have taken the first credible steps toward rebirth. As they did, HP took a half-assed approach and is going to pit the Slate against the iPad and Samsung Tab.

    At least Palm represented innovation. HP represents the same old yesterday.
    While I dont agree with you about their reputation, I certainly agree with you about the tablet. While they did say they were releasing two, one running windows and one running webos 2.0, the one running windows is absolutely pathetic. $800 for a quick draw up is certainly not worth it. But the "Palmpad" is mostly being headed by Palm with a few suggestions from Hp techs. Both tablets have been reviewed and the palmpad was expected to be much better.
  7. #7  
    I think a lot of it is that Palm has a lot of a startup feel within itself, with it's entirely new platform, and innovative spirit. Taking away the Palm brand would really hit the engineers in an emotional way, and take away the name they're fighting to keep alive. That said, there needs to be a good amount of HP branding as well, because WebOS is going to be bigger than just Palm products (remember the printer, and the toaster?). The only solution is making it a subbrand, the way an Aquos is a TV made by Sharp.
  8. #8  
    I'd rather buy a palm device powered by hp webOs, than purchase an hp device...
  9. BBooDad's Avatar
    Posts
    406 Posts
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    #9  
    When I tell people that the phone I am using to figure their meds on, or look up something at the bedside or in clinic, is "a Palm", they usually reply, "Oh, a Palm Pilot?"

    I think Palm still has good name recognition that way with general public, but in a dated way as "something old". Palm Pilots are still a respected name for what they did "back then". It will be up to HP to update people's perception of the brand.
  10. #10  
    I think the new generation of phones are going to be branded HP or some combination of hp and palm. I Don't think hp will put its name on any new hardware until until they have fully developed webos and their vision for it.

    That could be why the only new phone announced is pre2. That HP doesnt want any "new" phones released until it is fully ready to do so. So it is allowing updates to existing pre-acquisition phones. So I really don't see any new generation phone out till HP has their vision for webos fully implemented. Than we will probably see HP branded phones.
  11. #11  
    so true...back in the day, when palm dominated, people used to say "is that a palm" whenever people carried a handspring device, sony clie, or windows mobile pda.

    now it's "is that a blackberry" or "iphone"?

    I certainly think palm sounds much better for a phone or handheld device...it fits in the palm of your hand afterall!

    "hp" sounds like I'm carrying a printer or server. It's not a good name for a phone...
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    so true...back in the day, when palm dominated, people used to say "is that a palm" whenever people carried a handspring device, sony clie, or windows mobile pda.

    now it's "is that a blackberry" or "iphone"?

    I certainly think palm sounds much better for a phone or handheld device...it fits in the palm of your hand afterall!

    "hp" sounds like I'm carrying a printer or server. It's not a good name for a phone...
    You didn't hear HP is coming out with portable printer and servers you can carry with you on a belt clip or holster.
  13. #13  
    I guess back then, Palm had a much, MUCH better pool of marketing talent. Remember the old Simply Palm ads? Those were great! I miss those times.
  14.    #14  
    I think If Hp/Palm were to do some awesome advertising for the Pre 2 and Palmpad? then they might be able to gain some more momentum and get the life put back into them about palm. I guess at that point Palm would truly have a spot with Apple, Android, and others
  15. #15  
    What bothers me, is the relative lack of advertising of Palm products. I would have thought that there would have been a bigger announcement on VZW. Instead, VZW got the "in a few months" treatment. Comes across as not all that serious in making an in-roads with the consumer.

    As an aside, while scrolling through AT&Ts list of phone offerings, I came across an HP Windows Mobile device. Shocked to see one describes my reaction. Not surprised to see it not selling well does not. Until HP breaks out its sextant and star maps, it may wind up navigating in circles.
  16. #16  
    the palm name has a great deal more value than hp as far as phones go. unfortunately, palm blemished that name with the pre-. they should have never release that phone. instead, they should have tried licencing their crown jewel (webOS) to other more financially capable manufactures that were in desperate need of a viable OS. enter google and their android OS.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    the palm name has a great deal more value than hp as far as phones go. unfortunately, palm blemished that name with the pre-. they should have never release that phone. instead, they should have tried licencing their crown jewel (webOS) to other more financially capable manufactures that were in desperate need of a viable OS. enter google and their android OS.
    First thing is that, Google doesnt make phones period. They made a fairly good software and let other companies take the lead. Android isnt an OS. Palm is a company that clearly likes to get it done themselves instead of holding auditions for who can make us the best webos phone. I think for being the first generation hardware and software the pre minus did just fine. If it were advertised a bit better it would have done much better. but Verizon and the pre/pixi plus is where the problems came in. Had Verizon sales people been properly trained the two phones would probably have skyrocketed. Im not going to say they would have beaten Android because that would certainly be a longshot.

    And on At&t, well if your due for a contract upgrade be completely honest and tell me that if you had maybe used one or two treos before, you probably would have gone with the new specy front facing camera iphone 4 instead of the palm phones that At&t was clearly trying to get rid of with the $50 giftcards and all the rest, but they did show it good respect
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    First thing is that, Google doesnt make phones period. They made a fairly good software and let other companies take the lead. Android isnt an OS. Palm is a company that clearly likes to get it done themselves instead of holding auditions for who can make us the best webos phone. I think for being the first generation hardware and software the pre minus did just fine. If it were advertised a bit better it would have done much better. but Verizon and the pre/pixi plus is where the problems came in. Had Verizon sales people been properly trained the two phones would probably have skyrocketed. Im not going to say they would have beaten Android because that would certainly be a longshot.
    You raise a good point here. Android, like Windows Mobile, is fragmented. The OS developer and hardware developers are different companies. Palm, like Apple and RIM, develops not only the OS but the hardware as well. This makes a big difference in making a device that customers know will be supported by the manufacturer (let alone the carrier) until the next device refresh.

    Of the Android OS, I prefer the Google Experience over the HTC Sense or Motorola Motoblur simply because it makes me feel closer to Google and not the third party vendors. HP should recognize this lesson learned and build upon it.

Posting Permissions