Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    the competiton is really heated at this point in phone tech, phones are getting better and better do you think webos 2.0 keeps up? I think they shouldve added more feature to everyone of there navite apps just little things that would make there more fuctional for example the ability to make playlist through the music app itself or just like simple things we get from patches....
    i think that palm has done an awesome job in terms of UI and 'opening up' of the OS...now its really up to the developers to take advantage...still needs a lot of features though (without spoiling the slick experience)...the coming in of skype shows that we have some really good API's to look forward to...so its a step in the right direction!
    For some people, you can never have enough built into an operating system. What a viable mobile operating system needs are API’s that allow App Developers to leverage all of the hardware in the OS as well as memory and speed handling algorithms. Once webOS has this functionality the updates will be primarily security and optimization enhancements.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Enough.. Never! This is just the beginning to a long list of updates a head. Hp|Palm is planning on changing the way consumers look at the webos operating system.
    I am really hoping HP/Palm will continue to build on webOS even after 2.0 comes out. It is a step in the right direction. I just wish the Pre 2 and webOS 2.0 had been ready a year ago. It really is what the original Pre should have been from the start. I think the limited resources and poor marketing were really dragging them down though. At least HP has the resources to take things to the next level if they play their cards right.
    of course they will. Its not like they plan on taking an extended vacation after 2.0 lol

Quote Originally Posted by VzwPrePlus View Post
    I am really hoping HP/Palm will continue to build on webOS even after 2.0 comes out. It is a step in the right direction. I just wish the Pre 2 and webOS 2.0 had been ready a year ago. It really is what the original Pre should have been from the start. I think the limited resources and poor marketing were really dragging them down though. At least HP has the resources to take things to the next level if they play their cards right.
    it's not enough but it is a leap in the right direction. It would be close to enough if competition didn't continue to advance. WebOS has the potential to advance faster.

I believe that the tipping point isn't going to be general app catalog, but getting name brand companies embracing it and developin apps so we can consume their product on webOS. Examples include netflix, skype, and hulu.

once people can use webOS as an extension of their computer, it will tale off and independent developers will follow with great apps for general purpose.
    I think as stated this is a big jump, and with the backing now of HP every update will be like so. To me as long as they support the Hombrew community, what is left out between updates, or is long for will always be available because of our community. Honestly this is part of a large reason I stay with Webos, because of the support the hombrewers give to the OS, and the ease of patching the OS with features that are lost. As you can see even google with some of their hardware manufacters are trying to block rooting, which is harmful at this point because the company (Google) doesnt offer a webos doctor type programs, because they really dont condone it, as well as Apple. So with 2.0 with what they bring will only be enhanced once the homebrew community gets there hands on it.
  9.    #9  
    but dont u think it shouldve been a bigger jump? yea theres alot of new features but there barley enough to keep up with the competition, apple is obviously working on something new becuz everytine they do rumors of the iphone being on version pop up and andriod honestly is only getting better i really hope and believe palm with make some great things but i hope its soon so developers will consider making apps for webos and not to mention wp7 is bound to be a success developers will like it i think, but the pre 2 was really disappointing and the rumor thats its not going to sprint is really annoying.. since i have a pre-
    Quote Originally Posted by juavez707 View Post
    but dont u think it shouldve been a bigger jump? yea theres alot of new features but there barley enough to keep up with the competition, apple is obviously working on something new becuz everytine they do rumors of the iphone being on version pop up and andriod honestly is only getting better i really hope and believe palm with make some great things but i hope its soon so developers will consider making apps for webos and not to mention wp7 is bound to be a success developers will like it i think, but the pre 2 was really disappointing and the rumor thats its not going to sprint is really annoying.. since i have a pre-
    not really I think its substantial, though you have to look at it nothing so far from any company is really groundbreaking, unless its been maybe a year inbetween updates. To me this is just things to come, now that HP's is behind them with the resources to add significant updates, and not little ones anymore. As even steve jobs states from Apple that Palm makes great software already, and we all know they just need new hardware. then also look at it this way when the homebrew community gets their hands on it now with more tools they can add more upgrades to it with those new tools, as well as tweak other ones. To me the Pre 2 is only to showcase webos 2.0 even if sprint or at&t dosent get it, to me thats not major really. Think about it right now with the patchs and kernels on your sprint pre, its faster then the stock pre 2, and I myself can open up 60 cards with no TMC (thanks to the F105 kernel). I can do any and everything on my phone that any phone on the market can, then some. So the Pre 2 to me is nothing, and I can wait if need be for the better phones Q1, since we all will be getting webos2.0.
    It's enough for me. I just got the phone less than a year ago, and if I can keep this phone in one piece, not lose it, not break it etc(even though I smartened up and got insurance now)...I will be happy. My track record with phones isn't the greatest and if I can get close to keeping the phone for the duration of my contract, I'll be satisfied. If you have so much money that you can keep changing phones year to year, and paying full price for them, hats off to you, but not my case. One day, not today though
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  12.    #12  
    i guess u guys are right since every likes to copy webos

Itching Thumb Brings webOS-Like, Gesture-Based Task Management to Android

-_-
    What features is webOS 2.0 missing that the competition has? Just curious.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    being able to invite people to a meeting. Voice commands. Seperate volume controls for different actions (like ringer different than call volume. Not having notifications ring into the call while using the phone (still amazed at that one). Keyboard shortcuts for browser navigation. Usable task and memo apps that sync with outlook. There are many threads here with exhaustive lists.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 10/23/2010 at 07:01 PM.
    i guess u guys are right since every likes to copy webos

Itching Thumb Brings webOS-Like, Gesture-Based Task Management to Android

-_-
    I don't know how accurate it is, but I did read somewhere that the whole gesture thing was made quite a few years ago for some sort of Mac application. Sounds like most (Android)users aren't too happy with it judging from the comments.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    WebOS 2.0 is an evolutionary step, just like all OS's when they are true innovators. Its takes a long time to think of new concepts and even longer to make them work in usable functions. I think they should continue releasing new features in x.1, x.2 and so on with WebOS 3.0 bringing bigger features. But truthfully, most of the features I know they are missing are features I never would use. Like Voice Activation. I tried it, and it never works right. It's more of a pain, really.
    I an think of some things like better photo and music apps, and better movemnt around text and text selection and copy/paste, but other then that webos 2.0 is brin a bunch of stuff that will make the OS better. Only big feature I can hink of wanting is visual voicemal. I believe we will get tons of new apps and the os should run smoother, which are the two big issues with the os.
  18.    #18  
    i just think that they shouldve really refined the whole experience better performance faster witch those are there but not at the level of our competition, and just to add more functional features to every native apps that our competition has.... webos i think is only lacking features and performance, hardware isnt all the battle im fine with my pre design...
    I think webos has some awesome and very unique features that you cannot find on another mobile os. Like Synergy and its awesome notifications system. With that being said I still think Webos needs a lot more work to be a perfect fully functioning all around OS; especially if we are going to put it on a tablet.(I really don't want the tablet to be a super sized pre like the pad is to iPhone).

That is why I dont believe HP/Palm will announce any new devices Other than Pre2 and Pixi2 if one exists, until the HP has implemented their vision for further development of webos. They have one chance to get this right and have to put out a phone and os that is perfect the way it is and not have to deal with updates to their phones that add things that should already be their.
    As far as mobile OS' go, webOS 2.0 is enough. Taking a quote from Engadget's webOS 2.0 review article, in the wrap up section Josh states:

Despite some issues, webOS 2.0 is probably neck and neck with iOS4 when it comes to polish and ease of use, and that's a pretty huge thing for Palm. This isn't just a good OS, it's a great OS, and the updates in this version have made it even better.
    I was also at the live tapping of the Engadget show today, and they showed off the Pre 2. Once Josh started playing around with the apps, stacks, and launcher pages & showing how blazingly fast it is, the crowd's response was Whoaa.

webOS 2.0 is awesome, the only thing that is lacking is great hardware. The guys on the show today pretty much confirmed that. Here are some memorable highlights from the show about webOS (I'm paraphrasing as close as possible, you can check out the show yourself once they put it on their site, and in iTunes, and Zune. They bring out the Pre 2 like halfway through the show)

- Paul Miller: Android hasn't figured out multitasking, iOS hasn't figured out multitasking. webOS has figured out multitasking!

Josh Topolsky: Palm is not out of the game... As long as HP doesn't screw this up, which they could. Palm will be back in the game.

-If they put webOS on hardware like the Dell Venue Pro, the gadget world would go insane! They would freak out!

-They probably just put out the Pre 2 to get them in the hands of developers, to give them webOS 2.0 on hardware with updated specs.
    After playing with the Pre 2 at the reader meetup on Thurs, I agree as well. webOS 2.0 is definitely going in the right direction, and once they release some brand new, sexy eye candy hardware; it will catch way more people's attention. Once this happens, people will have no choice but to put down their Android & iPhone Kool-Aid.

I can't wait.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast