Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With all the brain drain and by all I mean ALL BRAIN DRAIN from palm, I think they need to retool their team. I was thinking if they could pay a little more to these guys, the next device could turn out to be amazing.
    - Hardware VP of iPhone, hire that guy, he would do wonders for palm
    - Key software engineers working on hardware acceleration on iPhone
    -Google map coders
    - Battery engineers at RIM.

Do you guys have any more ideas, who Palm can hire.

PS: Sad to see them go Matias Duarte, Rich Dellinger, Mike Abbott, Mike Bell, Jeff Finkelstein, Peter Skillman and Ben and Dion (
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  2.    #2  
    Andy Rubin would be great to hire
    they got rubenstein and a bunch of his team from apple a few years ago. Thets what saved palm from extinction.
    HP has more talent than Palm could ever dream of having, relax.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    HP has more talent than Palm could ever dream of having, relax.
    I concur
    They all ready got someone from Samsung and Nokia to help Palm, plus all the ppl from HP. They will be fine.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    They all ready got someone from Samsung and Nokia to help Palm, plus all the ppl from HP. They will be fine.

Samsung lady is a marketing lady, Nokia guy is from a flagging phone company. What we need it likes of iPhone hardware designers and some big shot google guys
    I gotta say, I don't have access to Palm's org chart, and I doubt anyone here does either. How do we know who is on board now and who isn't? And how can we possibly evaluate their skills? I know the transition of personnel is worrisome to those of us looking in from the outside, but in truth we have no idea whatsoever what is happening over there. All we can do is wait and see what happens. The new team will have to get in place and start performing before we know whether they're good or not. Very few of us are in a position to know enough about what is going on there to even begin to make criticisms.

Believe it or not, Apple's ability to design aesthetically pleasing hardware is not entirely unique. HP-Palm needs to find their own way with their own team to fill their own niche in the market, not try to replicate another company's successes.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Well, I hope that HP/Palm will stay fairly true to the Riverstone design because I think its Beautiful and Cool. Apple makes some great looking products but the iPhone 4 is imo 70's style ugly. The first 3 iPhone were nice though.
    I do believe that HP/Palm has a very talented team and will make some great webOS devices. HP should follow some of Apple's internal hardware ideas.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    The best team in the world doesn't matter if you have no money or time. Hopefully with HP they'll have the money to tool up some nice products, and the time to get the design right. They've definitely spent a while designing something since they released their last device...
    Jason R, Rwhitby, Unix and Caj2008. Whatever happened to Caj2008?
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Samsung lady is a marketing lady, Nokia guy is from a flagging phone company. What we need it likes of iPhone hardware designers and some big shot google guys
    just because you work at a successful company, it doesn't mean you are smarter than everyone at a non-successful company. Also, blackberry has good battery life, cause it has crappy everything else.Throw palm os onto the pre's cpu, and clock it at 250mhz..

edit: also, apple got gpu acceleration cause it's running c++, which is really easy to integrate gpu in. Palm got gpu support into their stable release of html5 code, before Google, Microsoft, and Mozilla could do it on their desktop browsers. Palm is working with new technology, which takes longer to implement.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    just because you work at a successful company, it doesn't mean you are smarter than everyone at a non-successful company. Also, blackberry has good battery life, cause it has crappy everything else.Throw palm os onto the pre's cpu, and clock it at 250mhz..

edit: also, apple got gpu acceleration cause it's running c++, which is really easy to integrate gpu in. Palm got gpu support into their stable release of html5 code, before Google, Microsoft, and Mozilla could do it on their desktop browsers. Palm is working with new technology, which takes longer to implement.
    I hope building UI acceleration in webOS ground up, help shoot webOS way ahead of android. I have a feeling only few things in the UI maybe hardware accelerated and the rest may come later. Just like 3D game acceleration came before other stuffs.
    Nope and nope. The Samsung lady (Victoria Coleman) was formally head of R & D (research and development) at Samsung while the Nokia guy (Ari Jaaksi) was the head of Meego division. Now Victoria heads platform and application development while Ari Jaaksi is now Senior Vice President of WebOS. Which, if you don't know, this guy is a huge guy who oversaw MeeGo Development -- which is said to be Nokia's knight in shinning armor, just like WebOS (was) for Palm.

Plus I now know one of the HP guys is for marketing, Steven McArthur. Which we can probably thank him for that shinny Pre 2 ad we been seeing. These guys mentioned -- along with everyone still at Palm and who are unnamed -- will be fine.

Source: eWEEK.com
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Nope and nope. The Samsung lady (Victoria Coleman) was formally head of R & D (research and development) at Samsung while the Nokia guy (Ari Jaaksi) was the head of Meego division. Now Victoria heads platform and application development while Ari Jaaksi is now Senior Vice President of WebOS. Which, if you don't know, this guy is a huge guy who oversaw MeeGo Development -- which is said to be Nokia's knight in shinning armor, just like WebOS (was) for Palm.

Plus I now know one of the HP guys is for marketing, Steven McArthur. Which we can probably thank him for that shinny Pre 2 ad we been seeing. These guys mentioned -- along with everyone still at Palm and who are unnamed -- will be fine.

Source: eWEEK.com

Thanks, here is the article

HP has reportedly beefed up its Palm WebOS team with a MeeGo executive from Nokia and an R&D executive from Samsung. Even internal HP staff are now focused on WebOS.

As Hewlett-Packard prepares to launch the first new smartphones under the Palm brand since it purchased the WebOS maker, it's apparently also beefing up its Palm staff with key executives from some of its rivals.

Ari Jaaksi, who resigned earlier this month from Nokia citing "personal reasons," is now the senior vice president of WebOS at HP's Palm division, according to the Wall Street Journal's All Things D site. At Nokia, Jaaksi was head of the MeeGo division—the burgeoning operating system developed jointly by Nokia and Intel.

Additionally, HP has reportedly scooped up Victoria Coleman, formerly the head of research and development at Samsung, to oversee the platform and application development of WebOS.

And finally, the Palm side of the business has laid claim to Steven McArthur, HP's senior vice president of consumer applications, who is said to now head up product marketing for Palm. Joining him, reports All Things D, are Enrique Lores, senior vice president of worldwide sales for HP's Personal Systems Group, who now is head of the Palm sales staff, and Steve Manser, senior vice president of product development, who will oversee product management.

Previous to the HP purchase, Palm lost a key WebOS executive, Mike Abbott, its senior vice president of software and services. Abbott resigned in April as the then-struggling smartphone maker put out the word that it was interested in being purchased. Wanting to keep its staff of core employees intact, presumably to make the company more attractive to potential purchasers, Palm soon after implemented a retention program that offered "equity awards and cash bonuses" to employees who stayed with the company for two years. The cash bonus was set at $250,000.

HP announced its intentions to buy Palm in April for $1.2 billion, and the deal officially went through in July. Since then, HP has made it clear that Palm's WebOS was a major reason for the purchase and that it plans to release several devices running the open-source operating system.

"With WebOS, HP will deliver its customers a unique and compelling experience across smartphones and other mobility products," HP Executive Vice President Todd Bradley said in a July 1 statement. "This allows us the opportunity to fully engage in growing our smartphone family offering and the footprint of WebOS."

With Jaaksi, Coleman and McArthur on board, HP appears better prepared to do exactly that.
    If you say Nokia is flagging, you have absolute NO idea.

And iPhone hardware engineer? Please. I want my phone to work.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    With all the brain drain and by all I mean ALL BRAIN DRAIN from palm, I think they need to retool their team. I was thinking if they could pay a little more to these guys, the next device could turn out to be amazing.
    - Hardware VP of iPhone, hire that guy, he would do wonders for palm
    - Key software engineers working on hardware acceleration on iPhone
    -Google map coders
    - Battery engineers at RIM.

Do you guys have any more ideas, who Palm can hire.

PS: Sad to see them go Matias Duarte, Rich Dellinger, Mike Abbott, Mike Bell, Jeff Finkelstein, Peter Skillman and Ben and Dion (
    People in those places don't need the additional $$. They probably already get it. In order for them to leave, they have to not like the current company and I think they all do like their current status. So yeah, throw this in the "uber duber nonsense" thread pile.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    People in those places don't need the additional $$. They probably already get it. In order for them to leave, they have to not like the current company and I think they all do like their current status. So yeah, throw this in the "uber duber nonsense" thread pile.
    I am sorry, everyone needs or wants more money most of the times, if I was paid 350K and someother place decided to pay me 450K I would gladly move. So your point, money doesnt matter is without merit. Maybe if I was paid a million dollar and the addition was only a 100K, I may ignore it. But at 350K I would accept a 100K raise.
    Thanks, here is the article
    No problem.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    Most look for the most opportunity/room for growth. Opportunity may mean chance for money--it may not be salary, it may be stock options in a better company, etc. It may be the opportunity to head a slightly different division & give the opportunity for making the next step or moving up to the next job.

All sorts of reasons to leave one job or to take another job--especially after a merger when there are numerous people (especially at the executive level) that are duplicates.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast