Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    You may be paying $10 extra a month for something that technically doesn't meet the new 4G standards:

"If someone is trying to sell you 4G wireless these days, don't believe them.

The truth is, neither WiMax nor LTE (Long-Term Evolution) qualify as 4G (fourth-generation) technologies, according to the International Telecommunication Union Radiocommunication Sector (ITU-R). On Thursday, the group announced it had finished its assessment of submissions for the 4G standard, also called IMT-Advanced. Based on that group's decision, to really be selling 4G, carriers will have to get going with one of two future technologies, called LTE-Advanced and WirelessMAN-Advanced. The latter, also known as IEEE 802.16m, will form the basis of WiMax Release 2."

4G Defined: WiMax and LTE Don't Qualify - Yahoo! News
    Hmmmm, So technically you could sue sprint for making you pay an extra $10 for a false product
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    Hmmmm, So technically you could sue sprint for making you pay an extra $10 for a false product
    I don't think so they call it

Premium Data

Because we've boosted your data experience with this phone's amazing services and features, you'll need our Premium Data add-on
    except that "3G" has been treated as nothing more than a marketing term forever, and "4G" has been used the same way.

who the hell is this "ITU-R", and why should you, me, Sprint, HP, or a us court of law care what they want to call "4G"?
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKy View Post
    You may be paying $10 extra a month for something that technically doesn't meet the new 4G standards:

"If someone is trying to sell you 4G wireless these days, don't believe them.

The truth is, neither WiMax nor LTE (Long-Term Evolution) qualify as 4G (fourth-generation) technologies, according to the International Telecommunication Union Radiocommunication Sector (ITU-R). On Thursday, the group announced it had finished its assessment of submissions for the 4G standard, also called IMT-Advanced. Based on that group's decision, to really be selling 4G, carriers will have to get going with one of two future technologies, called LTE-Advanced and WirelessMAN-Advanced. The latter, also known as IEEE 802.16m, will form the basis of WiMax Release 2."

4G Defined: WiMax and LTE Don't Qualify - Yahoo! News
    I think they are out of there mind 2g to 3g was no wear near the same jump in speed they are asking for to be considered 4g

100Mbps with high mobility and 1Gbps for low mobility we don't even have wired ISP state side pumping data at those rates to residences now. Let alone wireless ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    I think they are out of there mind 2g to 3g was no wear near the same jump in speed they are asking for to be considered 4g

100Mbps with high mobility and 1Gbps for low mobility we don't even have wired ISP state side pumping data at those rates to residences now. Let alone wireless ones.
    I feel the speed increase is like going from a SMART car to a Porche. To me, that clasifies as 4G. The way they tell it, you would have to be going from a HEMI to a jet engine.... that seems a little rediculous. I would be surprised if we reach those theoretical speeds any time soon.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    fyi, this is the same group that determined that Pluto is not qualified to be a planet.
    While I know marketing is always up to something to woo it's customers, I was only recently introduced to the clarification of 4G. All this talk and hype about 4G is purely marketing. As it turns out 4G hasn't even been finalized yet and Sprint/Verizon/T-Mobile are actually running WiMax or a form of it, but calling it 4G. True 4G will bring speeds of 100Mbps high mobility to 1Gbps low mobility.

Once again, fooled by marketing:

4G defined: WiMax and LTE don't qualify | Mobilize - InfoWorld
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    No true 4G bring real world speeds of say 50Mbps high mobility and a few hundred Mbps low mobility.

And we won't see those speeds for many years. This is why people who sit around yanking each other off all day should not be allowed to set standards.
    What a manufacture calls its products and adherence to standards are two separate things. Just as Light Emitting Diode (LED), Organic Light Emitting Diode (OLED), Active Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diode (AMOLED) and Super Active Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diode (Super -AMOLED) are all progressions on the same technology; the wireless generation wars have their marketing catch phrases that are used to express their leadership in certain technologies whether they meet the pure definition of the base standard or not.

Per Wikipedia -

4G refers to the fourth generation of cellular wireless standards. It is a successor to 3G and 2G families of standards. A 4G system is expected to provide a comprehensive and secure all-IP based solution where facilities such as ultra-broadband (giga-bit speed) Internet access, IP telephony, gaming services, and streamed multimedia may be provided to users.

Pre-4G technologies such as mobile WiMAX and first-release 3G Long term evolution (LTE) have been available on the market since 2006 and 2009 respectively, and are often branded as 4G. Current versions of these technologies do however not fulfill the ITU-R requirements on 4G systems, stating data rates approximately up to 1 Gbit/s.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    That's not always true. Certain standards may be trademarked, and the use of them without permission is a violation of trademark law. If the ITU has trademarked the term "4G" and has defined its use to mean something specific, they may be able to prevent Sprint and Verizon from using the term.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    Old news. EXACT same thing happened with 3G. They'll just call it 4G since when it actually reaches real 4G speeds it will be only because of a comparatively minor modification of the standard and supporting infrastructure.
    Let's not for get that T-mobile is also "4G" now....

Sprint Pre- Meta-Doctor 2.1.0 w/Flash

Everything is Amazing & Nobody is Happy, "People with their mobile phones, "uh... oh... it won't..."... GIVE IT A SECOND... IT'S GOING TO SPACE!" Louis C.K.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    nope its actually not, and as stated when TMO was questioned about it, they tried to avoid the question. They just figured calling it 4G (when nobody is yet, but Wimax and LTE have the technology to be when upgrade 3G dosent at all) to help with them because they are loosing so many customers to sprint right now.

T-Mobile stays competitive by marketing non-existent 4G - Share moments, make memories | TechEye
    as well as the good thing is wimax 2 and LTE advance are considered 4G, and wimax 2 is getting certified Q1 2011. It is also said that it is backward compatitable to wimax of course, and cost to upgrade for Clear is cheap. As you can see testing in samsungs trial shows speeds of 330mbps, and 3G technology (no matter what Tmobile trys to claim) will never be able to reach that range. Hence the reason Sprint really can say its on 4G, because the technology it is building through wimax will be able to upgrade to wimax 2 true 4G speeds.

Samsung WiMAX 2 test hits 330Mbps
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    No true 4G bring real world speeds of say 50Mbps high mobility and a few hundred Mbps low mobility.

And we won't see those speeds for many years. This is why people who sit around yanking each other off all day should not be allowed to set standards.
    It's not. Read the OP. 50Mbps is not 100Mbps. Its exactly half.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    That's not always true. Certain standards may be trademarked, and the use of them without permission is a violation of trademark law. If the ITU has trademarked the term "4G" and has defined its use to mean something specific, they may be able to prevent Sprint and Verizon from using the term.
    Thats true. I wonder if that will happen. But WiMAX and LTE will both become 4G technologies. It's not like Sprint and Verizon is using a newer 3G CDMA netowork and calling it 3G ... I mean, no one would do that ... right?

Quote Originally Posted by Butters3605 View Post
    And then come T-Mobile! They are truly lying to their customers. HSPA+ is not a 4G technology, and it does not offer (and never will offer) speeds close to true 4G technology. I am truly offended by T-Mobile and look down on them for doing this. At least WiMAX and LTE will evolve into WiMAX 2.0 and LTE Advanced respectively.
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    Well, that explains why that aren't making is a "4G cost" it is a "premium data" which happens to be on all the "4G" phones.

Tricky tricky.
    Tmobile is just as much in the right as Verizon and Sprint. They've got a network with better speeds, better coverage, and you don't need to turn on another radio just to speed up your network, and then remember to turn it off after. It's a far better experience, and the claim that Wimax and LTE (in their current incarnations) are 4G and HSPA+ at 21 mbps is not is entirely bogus. It has an All IP architecture, and future revisions go all the way up to 168 mbps. Just because it's not throwing out everything for a new standard because that's the cool thing to do doesn't make it 3.5G when WiMax and LTE are 4G.
    Last edited by ctbeiser; 11/09/2010 at 08:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctbeiser View Post
    Tmobile is just as much in the right as Verizon and Sprint. They've got a network with better speeds, better coverage, and you don't need to turn on another radio just to speed up your network, and then remember to turn it off after. It's a far better experience, and the claim that Wimax and LTE (in their current incarnations) are 4G and HSPA+ at 21 mbps is not is entirely bogus. It has an All IP architecture, and future revisions go all the way up to 168 mbps. Just because it's not throwing out everything for a new standard because that's the cool thing to do doesn't make it 3.5G when WiMax and LTE are 4G.
    Tmobile is being very deceitful ESP comparing there network to AT&T -- which AT&T has a larger HSPA+ network. Plus, when u buy a 4g phone for tmobile u will hAve to replace it next year when tmobile gets LTE. Sprint and verizon 4G radios are Pre 4G and will be able to use wimax 2.0 when it is released next year.
    FYI..

TMobile's G2 "4g" connection is blistering fast.

No extra cost/month. (My daughter's HD2 died, so, we switched her over to the G2).

In the end, its user experience - right now, its an incredibly fast smartphone with what I have experienced to be the fastest internet connection for any smartphone, 4g or 3g available today.

That may change in a year, but, so what? It will still be just as fast, even if other 4G phones surpass it.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast