Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone here used any of the iPhone's augmented reality apps? They're VERY impressive, powerful tools...and they all require a compass in the phone.

You can do things like:

See stores and restaurants around you in real time over the camera image, and see reviews, etc about them:
    http://www.iphoneness.com/wp-content...009/10/125.png

See where train stations actually are and what direction they'll take you from where you stand.
    http://www.iphoneness.com/wp-content...009/10/113.png

See what the terrain around your hiking trail is:
    http://www.iphoneness.com/wp-content...009/10/175.png

See wikipedia info about all the places near you (like having a tour guide):
    http://www.iphoneness.com/wp-content...009/10/122.png

Show you where you parked your car:
    http://www.iphoneness.com/wp-content...10/06/1107.png

The possibilities are endless, but NONE of them occur without a compass in the device!
    Last edited by 6tr6tr; 10/22/2010 at 03:36 PM.
    awww .... I don't need it . But the next device I'm sure will have one of these. This so called super device people are talking about !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Here's the question I want to know the answer to:

How f'ing hard/expensive is it to add a compass?!?

Is this really that big of a deal to do?
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Here's the question I want to know the answer to:

How f'ing hard/expensive is it to add a compass?!?

Is this really that big of a deal to do?
    Think about this, You add a 2 dollar part on a phone, and you have 500,000 phones being produced.. That's 1 million dollars on top of the rest of the items... Cost/Feature ratio..
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
    Quote Originally Posted by NitOxYs View Post
    Think about this, You add a 2 dollar part on a phone, and you have 500,000 phones being produced.. That's 1 million dollars on top of the rest of the items... Cost/Feature ratio..
    Silly rabbit, they won't sell 500,000 phones!

But you have to factor more people would purchase a phone with a compass and there would also be more software apps to pad the catalog.

Plus a million dollars is a lot to you and me but it's pennies to HP.
    Aaaaaand fragmentation happens.
    Can't say I used a compass since I was boy scout many years ago. If I can't find a restaurant without it I guess I am not that hungry. Any from seeing all the obese people out there it looks as if they are finding way too much to eat. Leave the compass out.
    I own an android phone (Epic) and to me, these augmented reality apps are a novelty and really don't make or break a platform. Sure, it was cool when I tried out Layer, but after that first use, I've since uninstalled it. Where the compass might be beneficial is in a maps application, to aid in walking navigation, but again I don't see it as crucial.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Aaaaaand fragmentation happens.
    I thought fragmentation happened when the OS was modified to just one device but I don't see how adding global support for a compass would be a problem for non compass devices? On boot it wouldn't see a compass no big deal. Are you saying if Sprint had a Pixi Plus there would be a differnt version OS? because of WiFi support?

Quote Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
    Can't say I used a compass since I was boy scout many years ago. If I can't find a restaurant without it I guess I am not that hungry. Any from seeing all the obese people out there it looks as if they are finding way too much to eat. Leave the compass out.
    By that logic, I've never used/needed an accelerometer so we should take that out too?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by relic419 View Post
    I own an android phone (Epic) and to me, these augmented reality apps are a novelty and really don't make or break a platform. Sure, it was cool when I tried out Layer, but after that first use, I've since uninstalled it. Where the compass might be beneficial is in a maps application, to aid in walking navigation, but again I don't see it as crucial.
    In addition to those apps (and the many more no one's thought of yet), there's also the HUGE plus in GPS navigation and mapping. The device will know what direction it's actually facing. So when you start out on a route in your car, you don't have to guess at whether you should drive forward or turn around and head the other way on the street.

A compass is VERY useful.

As for the cost, an e-compass from AKM Semiconductor Inc., cost Apple 70 cents.
    http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns-Man...o-iSuppli.aspx
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    To the OP: No one forgot this except Palm... I have been waiting for AR for a couple of years now. It's the one thing I regret about not having an Android phone.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Speebs View Post
    To the OP: No one forgot this except Palm... I have been waiting for AR for a couple of years now. It's the one thing I regret about not having an Android phone.
    Well, the reason I said "everyone forgot" is that in all the mockups and requests for specs on the new phone, almost no one mentioned a compass.

And it only costs $0.70 per phone!
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    don't fogret about the magnets for the inductive charging. this could potentially throw the compass off.
    Last edited by Matt3925; 10/22/2010 at 09:30 PM.
    Not so fond about compass at all. That's a feature I could live without.
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    Not so fond about compass at all. That's a feature I could live without.
    You might not think so if you ever used a program like Star Walk (iPad) or Skymap (Android). They both make your device the best planetarium you've ever been in.
    most people don't own a phone with a web browser. I don't see people rushing out because a phone has a compass built into it
    I don't really see the wow in it yet either. Maybe if it was a more popular item. Idk can a palm phone have it with the touchstone?
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I thought fragmentation happened when the OS was modified to just one device but I don't see how adding global support for a compass would be a problem for non compass devices? On boot it wouldn't see a compass no big deal. Are you saying if Sprint had a Pixi Plus there would be a differnt version OS? because of WiFi support?
    Virtually nobody writes an app to use WiFi. They write apps that use data. But there are many apps that can specifically make use of a compass. But that assumes that WebOS would see significant app progress to get developers to want to use these features, so maybe we don't have to worry about it anyway.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    A compass would be a thousand times more useful in real life than a front-facing camera. Yet people sneer at a compass and loudly demand front-facing cameras. Somebody stop me before I start quoting Sartre...
    Those apps are cool as a gimmick, but totally unnecessary if you know how to read a map. I have a low opinion of things designed to facilitate a lower IQ. It's not a requirement.

I would like a compass, but only for the star finding apps. Those I would use for teaching my kids. And I do agree, a compass has more justification than a front facing camera, though it is in no way a make or break option for me.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast