Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This guy from Primary Global research said : Palm is done. This is the quote.

"It was probably already in Palm's pipeline, because no one expects that this is going to sell particularly well," said Lloyd Walmsley, senior analyst at Primary Global Research. "From a handset perspective, Palm is done. People in the industry, including carriers, are basically writing it off."

I am really concerned about this

You can download the pdf of CNN Money here:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by akitayo; 10/22/2010 at 12:47 AM. Reason: corrected the title
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    This is just the beginning, don't be to concerned. If no new hardware is announced before verizon manages to kill off webOS, then be concerned.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    This is just the beginning, don't be to concerned. If no new hardware is announced before verizon manages to kill off webOS, then be concerned.
    This is just a crazy idea.

Maybe if the the precentral community and all palm fans who really wants to buy the Palm Pre 2 go to the Verizon stores and make line for buying it at launch, instead of pre-order or order it online Do you think it might be a good idea.?

Well, I donīt know too much about the customers behavior for buying smartphones there in this case. or am I asking for something impossible.?

By the other way, a new hardware announcement before the Verizon launch, sorry if I miss understood. But I think Palm will do that in January 2011 at CES, maybe. They have to, even for a later launch .

How many devices these carriers have to order to mean business for both, mfg and carrier: 100.000 each or less?

We have: (including rumors)
    Verizon
    Rogers
    SFR
    AT&T

Then we have 400.000 sold to the carriers. Not too much ???
    Last edited by akitayo; 10/22/2010 at 01:10 AM. Reason: adding a verb
    Reports of Palm's death have been greatly exaggerated.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    HP didn't spend $1.2 Billion (with a B) for nothing.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    How many devices these carriers have to order to mean business for both, mfg and carrier: 100.000 each or less?
    I think it would have to be 250,000+ per carrier, but I really don't know.

We have: (including rumors)
    Verizon
    Rogers
    SFR
    AT&T

Then we have 400.000 sold to the carriers. Not too much ???
    I'm sure if they improved build quality and get the price point right, 1+million would be an easy number to reach and fairly quick. But I don't think the numbers are what matters. The reason I don't think the numbers matter is, this is just the first handset coming in a wide range of launches over the next 8-10 months.(my gut talking.....again)

side note; I wish sprint had a 100,000 pre2's and one of those had my name on it.
    If Palm had sold one phone everytime some self important analyst said Palm is done, they would own Apple by now and Steve Jobs' new title would be Senior Executive Footstool to Jon Rubinstein. Don't indulge in every morsel of sensationalistic fluff that comes out of a slow news day.
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    HP didn't spend $1.2 Billion (with a B) for nothing.
    They spent $1.2 Billion to place WebOS on tablets, on there TouchSmart PCs and printers.
    Palm was already pretty much "done" (as in finished) last summer. The HP purchase is essentially a do-over. It remains to be seen whether or not HP can resurrect Palm's former handset business or if the Pre 2 is just a last gasp from the old Palm.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Palm was already pretty much "done" (as in finished) last summer. The HP purchase is essentially a do-over. It remains to be seen whether or not HP can resurrect Palm's former handset business or if the Pre 2 is just a last gasp from the old Palm.
    Agree Palm Pre 2 is the end of the Pre Beta and really was in the pipeline ( ordered to the Chinese manufacturer) before HP acquisition, and the launch was delayed cause of the transition needing time.

Lets hope a 2GHZ CPU Palm "Enterprise" device for CES 2011 annoucements. The competition is coming 1Q 2011 with the Samsung i9200 Galaxy S2 and will have a:

4.3" Super AMOLED 2,
    1280 x 720,
    2 GHz CPU,
    1 GB RAM,
    4 GB ROM,
    32 GB flash,
    microSD,
    8MP primary camera + 2.0 secondary camera
    3.0 Gingerbread

and will look apparently like this
  11.    #11  
    I think it would have to be 250,000+ per carrier, but I really don't know.

I'm sure if they improved build quality and get the price point right, 1+million would be an easy number to reach and fairly quick. But I don't think the numbers are what matters. The reason I don't think the numbers matter is, this is just the first handset coming in a wide range of launches over the next 8-10 months.(my gut talking.....again)

side note; I wish sprint had a 100,000 pre2's and one of those had my name on it.
    Do you think Sprint will listen to Pre holders on Facebook Sprint page claiming for a Pre2?
    they said the same thing about apple a few years ago. In fact, I even said that at the time.

if if it is true, remember that most smartphone users will continue the upgrade cycle and be potential buyers. Just like people often change car brands for variety, many will be open to future palm phones if they are competitive.

also remember that less only about 20% of cell phones today are smart phones. The market will grow exponentially over the next few years.

hp has the opportunity to grab market share if they execute well.
    Do you think Sprint will listen to Pre holders on Facebook Sprint page claiming for a Pre2?
    I highly doubt it. They will will go with what ever comes out at CES 2011
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    No, but I wish we could get some direction so I don't have to jump ship. Hp and palm are just to quiet. To sit around and wait for them to make the first move is making me feel like it will be months or even longer, before new hardware comes to sprint. I feel a bit used..sniff,sniff....
    you don't have to jump ship if your current phone is meeting your needs.
    No, but I wish we could get some direction so I don't have to jump ship. Hp and palm are just to quiet. To sit around and wait for them to make the first move is making me feel like it will be months or even longer, before new hardware comes to sprint. I feel a bit used..sniff,sniff....
    Your phone will still get the new webOS2.0 update its not a total lose...something to keep us occupied until CES2011
  17.    #17  
    Wise words of Cantaffordit and darkzone
    Palm was done in July..... fyi... To the tune of 1.2B...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    they said the same thing about apple a few years ago. In fact, I even said that at the time.
    It's not the same. Back in '96 Apple never said "Let's put ourselves up for sale." It's because Apple wasn't "done" like Palm was - they were still fighting.
    you've forgotten that microsoft had to take a large stake in apple to keep them alive. Very similar, indeed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast