Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Wise words of Cantaffordit and darkzone
    Yes wise words indeed, words I've been preaching for months now, but with things looking grim between sprint and hp, it would be foolish of me to sit around, all the while, my pre is getting more beat down as my primary phone. Unlike most people around this forum I have no backup phone, if my pre breaks it's going to cause me serious problems. My intention all along was to replace this pre minus after 1 year with a new and improved 'super palm'. Well it's been about a year and not looking good for sprint webOS users, so plan B is tryout android and keep my pre as a secondary phone/device. I seriously hope to come back and I wish they would just say something, but I know how hp and palm both operate, shhh don't tell anyone!!! We want people to leave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    you've forgotten that microsoft had to take a large stake in apple to keep them alive. Very similar, indeed.
    Apple: In 1997, Microsoft invests $150M buying 7% of Apple's stock, but has no voting rights on the board. The $150M investment was equal to about 2% of Apple's $7 Billion annual revenue (in 1997). The following year, Apple made over $300M in profit (on $6B in revenue). The rest is history.

Palm: In 2007, Elevation Partners purchases 25% of Palm for $325M and places two EP employees on the board at Palm. The next year, EP adds another $100M to the pot. In the 3 years with EP, Palm never has a profitable one. Finally, in 2010, Palm decides they are "done" and put themselves on the market. After the HP purchase, EP walks away with an additional $25M in their pockets.

And somehow you think these stories are the same?
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    Yes wise words indeed, words I've been preaching for months now, but with things looking grim between sprint and hp, it would be foolish of me to sit around, all the while, my pre is getting more beat down as my primary phone. Unlike most people around this forum I have no backup phone, if my pre breaks it's going to cause me serious problems. My intention all along was to replace this pre minus after 1 year with a new and improved 'super palm'. Well it's been about a year and not looking good for sprint webOS users, so plan B is tryout android and keep my pre as a secondary phone/device. I seriously hope to come back and I wish they would just say something, but I know how hp and palm both operate, shhh don't tell anyone!!! We want people to leave.
    people have backup phones? I can't say I've ever known anyone with a backup phone.
    you must be one important guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    It's not the same. Back in '96 Apple never said "Let's put ourselves up for sale." It's because Apple wasn't "done" like Palm was - they were still fighting.
    1993:
    The board decided that we ought to sell Apple. So I was given the assignment to go off and try to sell Apple in 1993. So I went off and tried to sell it to AT&T to IBM and other people. We couldnít get anyone who wanted to buy it. They thought it was just too high risk because Microsoft and Intel were doing well then.
    John Sculley On Steve Jobs, The Full Interview Transcript | Cult of Mac
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    It is worrying though. A lot of their brain power have defected to other competing platforms, the growth/progress of the OS hasn't been as rapid as the others and developers tend to snub it to boot. Plus carriers are having a heck of a difficult time shifting units.

HP doesn't appear committed to improving the platform either but rather want to plant the OS into as much hardware as possible.

Its looking dire indeed.
    The Pre2 is the same crap device as the Pre and Pre Plus. It's just low quality. On mine the power button broke, the front of the phone is totally wobbly, and it gets really hot when i use it for any period of time. Removing the one button and adding a slightly better processor does not do anything to help any of my gripes.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben116 View Post
    The Pre2 is the same crap device as the Pre and Pre Plus. It's just low quality. On mine the power button broke, the front of the phone is totally wobbly, and it gets really hot when i use it for any period of time. Removing the one button and adding a slightly better processor does not do anything to help any of my gripes.
    I suggest you get a Motorola Defy
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    They spent $1.2 Billion to place WebOS on tablets, on there TouchSmart PCs and printers.
    bingo!
    This is probably the lowest quality phone I have ever had as far as the physical phone. Since the Pre2 is the same crap phone, I wont be buying it. My phone has trouble switching from portrait to landscape, the touchscreen randomly stops working, the phone randomly turns off and that is really crappy since my power button broke, the usb door broke off, the front of the phone is wobbly, the headphone jack will think there are headphones in it after unplugging them all the time and requires a ton of resets and/or plugging and unplugging the headphones a bunch of times to be able to hear my calls again without using the speaker phone, it randomly hangs up on calls etc. I don't see how the new phone without the button and slightly better specs is going to be any better.
    Excuse me, but you just joined this forum yesterday to complain about the same thing in two posts?

Can't help but to call bull on this one.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Palm is dead...Long live HP/Palm!
    webOS tablets are a non-starter without a robust phone lineup right now. Eventually, given enough webOS users and tablet sales, HP could be successful with just the tablet.

Why? Apps. Developers are not going to write apps for webOS if webOS has no users where there are Android and iOS options on the market, LOL.

I believe HP has realized this which is exactly why there was renewed interest in getting some phones to market. That said, HP/Palm are doing a terrible job AGAIN in marketing their smart phones.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12