1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Buried in this article about 2 recent Palm/HP hirings, is mentioned the next generation webOS. This more than ever makes me think that the Pre 2 will be a mid line phone.

Now that Palm has mega $ to build a dream smartphone. I think CES will bring us, several PalmPads with different potions and sizes.

A few weeks ago, it was indirectly confirms that Palm was working on a slab type phone. My guess is that there will be two "super" phones unveiled. One will be keyboard less slab and one will have a keyboard, but the same under the hood.

After all Palm hired Victoria Coleman, (read the highlighted info below) to work on the next webOS, the same week it unveils webOS 2!

Take care,

Jay

Palm nabs high-profile hires
    by John Paczkowski, October 14, 2010 7:19 PM PDT

Palm nabs high-profile hires | Wireless - CNET News

Earlier this month, Ari Jaaksi resigned as head of Nokia's MeeGo division, citing "personal reasons" as the cause for his departure.

Turns out "personal reasons" was actually a euphemism for "I'm joining Palm."

Sources close to the company tell me that Jaaksi has hired on as Senior Vice President of webOS at Hewlett-Packard's Palm division. He's to start in November, after relocating to the Bay Area, and when he does, he'll lead Palm's webOS engineering team.

And Jaaksi isn't Palm's only new high-profile hire. Victoria Coleman, who recently headed up Samsung's R&D Center in San Jose is joining the company as well. Her task: to oversee platform and application development for next generation versions of webOS. Palm's also managed to pull some talent from within HP as well. Steven McArthur, the SVP of the company's consumer applications business, is now heading up product marketing for Palm. Joining him are Enrique Lores, SVP of PSG worldwide sales, who is leading the Palm sales organization. Steve Manser, SVP of product development, oversees product management.

Quite the line-up, and one that bodes well for Palm's future webOS devices and its future at HP.
    Last edited by ilovedessert; 10/21/2010 at 10:59 PM.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Yeah 2011 could get very interesting IF hp comes out swinging, landing bombs on all these fools, knocking the bolts off their robots, the rotten seeds out of the apples and making microsoft look well, soft.

I personally, am pretty sure I'm getting the epic nov1st, but I'm going to hope hp is here to fight and fight hard. I'll be rooting for webOS!!! Also hope to come back when/if sprint gets a new webOS phone.
    Great article Jay! So many people (even today) still complaining about HP not knowing what they are doing. You can't play professional ball unless first line up a killer team. HP is lining up the dominoes for a killer show!
    good times ahead

thanks OP.. always can count on you for providing great reading material
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    Yeah 2011 could get very interesting IF hp comes out swinging, landing bombs on all these fools, knocking the bolts off their robots, the rotten seeds out of the apples and making microsoft look well, soft.

I personally, am pretty sure I'm getting the epic nov1st, but I'm going to hope hp is here to fight and fight hard. I'll be rooting for webOS!!! Also hope to come back when/if sprint gets a new webOS phone.
    LoL ecspecially on the Microsoft; it is a weird name if you look at it and say it a bunch of time. Maybe I should create my own company called Macrohard.
    i forsee no superphone from hp/palm this year. my guess will be mid 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by c_legaspi View Post
    i forsee no superphone from hp/palm this year. my guess will be mid 2011
    I think 2010 would have been a stretch under the circumstances but I wouldn't be surprised to see a new device by the end of March...
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

i dont think that HPalm needs to wait till CES in march, i think they already have something in development, and given that we havent seen a SINGLE advertisement for the Pre2 or the Slate being that they have been officially announced, i could see something bigger being announced within the next 2 months for the holiday season, and HP has the financial backing to expedite what palm would not have been able to do on their own... just my 2 cents though
    That text really only stats next-gen of the os. Not of the hardware. Did I miss somthing?

I don't expect a unveil of next-gen webos hardware anytime soon. I just don't see HP coming out with the Palm Pre 2, then tosing it aside a couple months later.

You could also go to say, well they could show somthing off. Why would HP doing that MONTHS before a release, thats what hurt the pre. Just look at the Pre 2 annoucment, it came less then a week before its offical release to the public (even if it is just sfr).

I just don't see it happening.

I bet at CES, there will be the PalmPAD, webOS Printers, and innovations in the webOS software. But some super device shown off months ahead of time? I don't see it.

RoadRunner HD is very likly the OS that is put on the PalmPad, and NOT a new phone as everyone hopes.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmleonar View Post
    i dont think that HPalm needs to wait till CES in march, i think they already have something in development, and given that we havent seen a SINGLE advertisement for the Pre2 or the Slate being that they have been officially announced, i could see something bigger being announced within the next 2 months for the holiday season, and HP has the financial backing to expedite what palm would not have been able to do on their own... just my 2 cents though
    CES is not in March, it's January 6th, 2011. With the Pre2 coming on-line at Verizon in November, my expectation is that 2010 is out for the next generation. It will be announced at CES. Go into production shortly thereafter, available in March, perhaps April 2nd (no April fools phones please). I also think Sprint will be on the list for it, but that may just be my wishful thinking since I think it will have 4G wiMax and my upgrade is waiting to be used.
    Author of Exch-Calc, Dog Years, Cat Years and all future creations of Pre-zy Software. Available in the Application Catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    That text really only stats next-gen of the os. Not of the hardware. Did I miss somthing?

I don't expect a unveil of next-gen webos hardware anytime soon. I just don't see HP coming out with the Palm Pre 2, then tosing it aside a couple months later.

You could also go to say, well they could show somthing off. Why would HP doing that MONTHS before a release, thats what hurt the pre. Just look at the Pre 2 annoucment, it came less then a week before its offical release to the public (even if it is just sfr).

I just don't see it happening.

I bet at CES, there will be the PalmPAD, webOS Printers, and innovations in the webOS software. But some super device shown off months ahead of time? I don't see it.
    ...maybe you did. :-D

ilovedessert > Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken M View Post
    CES is not in March, it's January 6th, 2011. With the Pre2 coming on-line at Verizon in November, my expectation is that 2010 is out for the next generation. It will be announced at CES. Go into production shortly thereafter, available in March, perhaps April 2nd (no April fools phones please). I also think Sprint will be on the list for it, but that may just be my wishful thinking since I think it will have 4G wiMax and my upgrade is waiting to be used.

BUT rahul sood DID say that there would be a multitude of devices over the next 12 months, and they already have the software set up for handhelds, so it is completely plausible that the Pre2 is now the entry level phone in their lineup STILLLLL competing with, and or close to a lot of the "superphones" that are out there today, and i think we can expect to see a dual-core 1.2ghz phone by the end of this year or even as EARLY as january. they have the backing, we've already been told about a variety of devices in the next 12 months, but i think that was more along the lines aimed at porting the OS over to a tablet device and then toasters(aka printers haha). i mean i feel this makes sense, and getting the OS out there in a couple of handhelds first before they launch a tablet device, and interconnected devices, further reinforces the idea that they need to succeed first with the OS they have at hand a la smartphones... like ive said b4, just my 2 cents on the scenario at hand
    Something, sometime is going to come out. Nobody spends 1.2 BILLION dollars (or whatever it was exactly) and throws it away. Fairly obvious (to me) that the people @ HP clearly are aware of the cell phone scene, Pre|Central, they know what current users stances are, they know, period. Any sort of technology just doesn't get magically produced instantly. Things take time. It'll come, eventually. I'm sure HP had some sort of plan prior to the purchase, or they wouldn't have done it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Something, sometime is going to come out. Nobody spends 1.2 BILLION dollars (or whatever it was exactly) and throws it away. Fairly obvious (to me) that the people @ HP clearly are aware of the cell phone scene, Pre|Central, they know what current users stances are, they know, period. Any sort of technology just doesn't get magically produced instantly. Things take time. It'll come, eventually. I'm sure HP had some sort of plan prior to the purchase, or they wouldn't have done it.

of course everyone at HP and P|C kno the score, these discussions r just what keep us occupied until some news is heard
    One things for sure, if they doubled down on the Pre2 with nothing else that would be the end of the smartphone for Palm.

But if they have some gems to show at CES I'll still be baffled about launching the Pre2 at all. I mean think about it, why would you launch a phone that most people/carriers don't want. I know some people do but not enough to warrant selling it especially if a better phone is coming out which will obviously cannibalize your sales of Pre2.
    What makes you think they're talking about phones and not tablets and printers?
    following current history, their next phone could be the palm pre 2 plus....
    Quote Originally Posted by c_legaspi View Post
    following current history, their next phone could be the palm pre 2 plus....
    Meh, you better not be correct on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    What makes you think they're talking about phones and not tablets and printers?
    I guess the thought and image of Palm marching into CES with only one newish phone that was announced months ago that a lot of carriers are not going to carry and customers can't buy.

Is that how all of this is going to end? Really?!?