Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    correct but thats world wide they shipped 5.2 here in the states IPhone Helps AT&T Edge Q3 Sales Views - Investors.com
    Yep, that's true, didn't realize we were just talking about US sales.
    At 3.5 inches, 480x800 is good. At a screen size bigger than that, it's not enough pixels. Bigger screen ≠ better. Why would anyone want a 4.3 inch screen with 480x800, when they could get that amount of detail without carrying a square dinnerplate in their pocket? I'd prefer to get some kind of ridiculous resolution on a smaller phone. Here's a rundown:
    Apple iPhone 4: 326 ppi
    Google Nexus One: 252 ppi
    Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10: 245 ppi
    Samsung I9000 Galaxy S: 233 ppi
    HTC HD2: 217 ppi
    Nokia N8: 210 ppi
    Apple iPhone 3GS: 165 ppi
    Apple iPad: 132 ppi
    Palm Pre: 186
    Palm Pixi: 194

If we were to get a 4.3 inch screen, I'd be expecting that's because there's no way, or no reason, to fit any more pixels the space. If we use the Retina Display Number of 320ppi+, and the Pre's current aspect ratio of 3:2, you get a mindblowing 1152x768. I would totally love that. But even with that many pixels, I'm not sticking that thing in my pocket. I therefore propose a retina-display-busting 3.8 inch 1024x768 at 336 DPI.

That said, I'd be happy with anything better than 320x480...
    Wow. You left out the microwave & the toilet, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Total units sold yes apples holds the crown for now but sales for the year umm check again...

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.switched....-mobile-os.jpg

Android phones are being activated at close to 200k a day...

Notice a increase in android sales about the time all the big 4" phones hit the market and the drop after the iphone 4 hit the market ya tell me again people want small screens on there phone..

No one i know specifically got droids because of the jumbo screens and i work in an IT dept with a bunch of geeks.. They are not on ATT and want a smart phone that's not a BB. Hmmm what does that leave you with?

Power in numbers. Isn't there a new droid device every month? Not saying there isn't a space for the jumbo screen, but people here are exaggerating why exactly these things sell. They sell because of market recognition, sheer volume of product and well, lets face it "CRAPS"

Aren't there BB's with smaller screens than the pre? Those still sell like hotcakes. Don't be fooled about their market share drop. Its just a crowded market now.

There is a huge space for compact smartphones.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    I think something that is really stifling the conversation here is that those who want 4"+ screens seem to find it appalling that anyone would want a smartphone smaller than that. On the other hand those who want a smaller form factor (me included) seem to acknowledge that several form factors are necessary but they don't want to see HP do away with the smaller form factor.

Ideally for me, the overall dimensions and form factor of the Pre can be maintained while the screen real estate is optimized to increase the usable portion of the screen.

<Rant> What I don't get is all the people who bought the Pre and are now complaining about the screen size. Where you blind at the time of purchase and through out the 30 day trial? Was there a lack of phones with bigger screens at the time of your purchase? How can you complain about something that you couldn't help but notice from the moment the sales rep put the phone in your hands. </rant>
    Did it ever occur to you that it was WebOS that sold the phone and not necessarily the hardware? I bought the Pre solely for WebOS.... that is it. Sure I like the physical keyboard, but that was really about it. Now that I have had the chance to enjoy and fall in love with WebOS, why is it so out of the question to want competitive hardware to accompany this great OS? And when I say hardware I mainly mean the screen size and display type. Im not saying 4"+ or bust at all. 3.8" for me personally is fine, but make sure the display is comparable to the AMOLED's or Retina display. I really enjoy a great looking screen... not necessarily the size of it.

Listen, you guys that want to stick with the same form factor as the original Pre can, and even with a hardware bump. You have that choice. All I am saying is I'd like that choice as well as would others. HP I believe understands this. There will be more phones, and that by itself is very exciting.
    Last edited by Traxion; 10/21/2010 at 10:08 PM.
    "I will go in this way, but I'll find my own way out." -DMB

Dear Lord,
    Please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over standard TCP/IP.
    Amen.
    the little black plastic phone that palm makes is such a perfect fit for my 8 yr old daughter's hands - i let her play with it now and then. but seriously, if adults are to buy it en-masse, then palm needs to build a pre that is and looks like a sophisticated piece of equipment.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcolon3 View Post
    4.3 slab 960x640 or 4in portrait or landscape slider
    dualcore omap4 1ghz with cpu scaling
    1500 mah battery
    720mb ram
    32gb rom
    hdmi output
    6mp autofocus camera
    3mp front facing camera
    wifi bgn
    bluetooth 3.0
    3g/4g
    fm reciever
    digital compass
    gyroscope
    amazing battery life
    better keyboard
    beyond what is required
    dtv receiver
    garmin gps software non assisted gps

webos 2.x
    GpU UI 2.0 still seems jagged when scrolling
    skype on all carriers
    some type of widgets like superior mock up
    more animation with cards to make webos look more attractive
    better music app like nanplayer
    better email and calender
    try to incorporate more patches
    netflix
    slingplayer
    hulu
    game controller

We need to get this right. For those complaining about "I NEED TO HAVE A KEYBOARD" well thats not what is selling right now so suck it up BIG DISPLAYS are IN. And yes all that is listed is necessary. ALL OF IT. It seems single core processors are still not powerful enough to make webos 2.0 fly. I think its because the operating system is so inefficient. pre 2 is fast but still not fast enough. Hopefully dual core can seriously speed things up.

I think the fact that webos is so clean looking (something that i love) is actually hurting webos. When someone looks at android (even though it looks cluttered) they say wow look at all this stuff this thing has to offer. While on webos you have to search for those things (if you can find it). At a glance info must somehow be incorporated.

i think this Guy did an awesome job with his widgets
    http://forums.precentral.net/future-...bos-phone.html

This guys gets landscape form spot on
    http://forums.precentral.net/future-...lm-pre-hd.html
    You forgot the transporter and flux capicitor
  8.    #68  
    lol as crazy as my list is. It is where the market is heading towards and is not far fetched at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    I think something that is really stifling the conversation here is that those who want 4"+ screens seem to find it appalling that anyone would want a smartphone smaller than that. On the other hand those who want a smaller form factor (me included) seem to acknowledge that several form factors are necessary but they don't want to see HP do away with the smaller form factor.

Ideally for me, the overall dimensions and form factor of the Pre can be maintained while the screen real estate is optimized to increase the usable portion of the screen.

<Rant> What I don't get is all the people who bought the Pre and are now complaining about the screen size. Where you blind at the time of purchase and through out the 30 day trial? Was there a lack of phones with bigger screens at the time of your purchase? How can you complain about something that you couldn't help but notice from the moment the sales rep put the phone in your hands. </rant>
    Yea can't we have bigger screens? I personally am not saying WebOS needs a bigger screen to sell better. By all means we know there are smaller screens that do well. But the people who bought a Pre wanted WebOS, not just the Pre. If you want WebOS but have to get it in a pen, you'd do it even though you want a bigger device.

I personally just want the Pre 2 as described by Virox (http://www.precentral.net/vote-mock-...ou-pick-winner -- at the bottom, last one you can vote for). That would be awesome. Its sleek and sexy like the Pre, but with a larger screen (3.8 is good enough) and powerful specs (like the Pre 2). If they did that, I'd buy it in a heart beat. Better yet, make it 4G (my next phone I want to be 4G simply so when its here and has good coverage, I will have a 4G device). Thats all I want.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    last time I checked the Iphone out sells all those phones you stated (this year SO FAR over 5 million sold) and the screen size stays at 3.5 inchs. Also Smartphones are still in the minority at only 21% are using them, and I dont think the other 79% of those basic feature phones are 4 inchs.

Yeah, but now even Iphoners are wanting bigger screens.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I switched to a bigger screen (the EVO) and it's done nothing but enhance the multi-media and overall experience. From e-readers, news, apps, browsing, maps etc. I had to transfer my files from my Pre, and going back to it felt like I was using a toy. A larger screen would make webOS sing. The webOS community shouldn't be afraid to embrace change....its not a bad thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by susanoo26 View Post
    I switched to a bigger screen (the EVO) and it's done nothing but enhance the multi-media and overall experience. From e-readers, news, apps, browsing, maps etc. I had to transfer my files from my Pre, and going back to it felt like I was using a toy. A larger screen would make webOS sing. The webOS community shouldn't be afraid to embrace change....its not a bad thing.
    the evo is a nice phone but it is not "all that" either. now the epic 4g... that's another story!
    A larger screen..blah blah blah. To cut to the chase, people want a slab. They've been wanting a palm slab ever since the iphone debuted. It's not let up.

RIM knew this and flirted with a Storm. The OS and bad hardware made it go flop.

Android (makers) knew this and is kicking ****. The Hero, with less than stellar specs, ate the Pre's lunch on Sprint. It's what the folks on Sprint were waiting for and the Evo and Epic improved upon the Hero.

Palm knows this. (or i'm giving em too much credit..lol). But they chose to stay the kb route in an effort to target a niche (which does exist but isn't nearly enough for Palm to get back in the game on). Palm fans know this but many have said Palm isn't allowed to think slab. The rest of the competition can do slabs but not Palm. It's not allowed. Palm must have a portrait kb.

And as a result, Palm sunk, HP bought em up and here we go again. I'm not trying to bash the Pre's form factor or kb's in general. Palm should probably try to have one. But their first device should have always been a slab. This isn't amazing hindsight. This is obvious stuff people on here have always been arguing about even before the Pre came out..its form factor different enough to hush those arguments for a bit.

As to how large a device? One that fits the OS and offers good quality. I've not seen a 4.3" slab that i'd really want to own. But i do realize the mainstream doesn't care about resolution, screen quality, and what not...though Apple finally made it a criteria with its Retina brand.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234