Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 73
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    I really like the size and form factor of the Pre Plus. While I agree that Palm or HP needs additional hardware features and form factors on multiple devices, I donít think that we need to abandon the segment of the smartphone community that likes a small efficient phone with a hardware keyboard. I carry my phone in my shirt pocket and most people donít even know that I am carrying a smartphone.

    Bigger screens and batteries will result in larger cases and more weight. Soon you wonít be able to carry the phone without a holster. The Specs in the O.P. are impressive but I would never buy a phone with that form factor, it would not suit my personal needs. I also do not think that I need to ďsuck it upĒ and get a big smartphone with a virtual keyboard that weighs almost a half a Pound to enjoy the capabilities of a smartphone.

    This is the problem right now you are in the minority minority. there is nothing wow about 3.1in. People can careless about the fact that yes its bigger yes its heavier but the benefits of enhancing multimedia experience far out weighs those things thats why evo droid x and droid are epic are hits.

    The experience is much much better. Something that most people here dont seem to understand. Just a bunch of haters. People will flock back to webos if a phone with the specs i posted is released. Most people say i wish i had an evo with webos on it. What in the world do you think that means!!!
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    How long are we going to exaggerate the size and weight of 4-inch+ phones? These devices are roughly the same size as a Pre with the keyboard out, so if you've ever used your keyboard and held it comfortably in your hand, you can do the same with these. The Evo and Epic weigh, maybe, 20 grams or so more than a Pre Plus. They fit comfortably in any normal pants pocket.
    very very very true
  3.    #43  
    We need to go all out webos is going up against( i just counted on androidcentral) 43 yes 43 android phones. Its almost insane. We need more form factors and we need top notch hardware no room for slacking. HTC is not slacking nor are the mediocre so why should hp and palm be. Also webos 2.5 or 3.0 should be out by june july and remember android 3.0 is coming out.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcolon3 View Post
    This is the problem right now you are in the minority minority. there is nothing wow about 3.1in. People can careless about the fact that yes its bigger yes its heavier but the benefits of enhancing multimedia experience far out weighs those things thats why evo droid x and droid are epic are hits.

    The experience is much much better. Something that most people here dont seem to understand. Just a bunch of haters. People will flock back to webos if a phone with the specs i posted is released. Most people say i wish i had an evo with webos on it. What in the world do you think that means!!!
    last time I checked the Iphone out sells all those phones you stated (this year SO FAR over 5 million sold) and the screen size stays at 3.5 inchs. Also Smartphones are still in the minority at only 21% are using them, and I dont think the other 79% of those basic feature phones are 4 inchs.
    Last edited by wellwellwell11; 10/21/2010 at 02:45 PM.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcolon3 View Post
    We need to go all out webos is going up against( i just counted on androidcentral) 43 yes 43 android phones. Its almost insane. We need more form factors and we need top notch hardware no room for slacking. HTC is not slacking nor are the mediocre so why should hp and palm be. Also webos 2.5 or 3.0 should be out by june july and remember android 3.0 is coming out.
    first I agree, Webos to succeed IMO is to have multiple form factors (which is hopefully what CES or Q1 will bring witht the tablet). Also remember though Android is on 3.0 it came out a year before Webos, so right now at 2.0 they are still on pace. They just need to make sure they address the minor things that are still needed in the OS while they continue to advance in production.
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    last time I checked the Iphone out sells all those phones you stated (this year SO FAR over 5 million sold) and the screen size stays at 3.5 inchs. Also Smartphones are still in the minority at only 21% are using them, and I dont think the other 79% of those basic feature phones are 4 inchs.
    This is true but its Apple. Apple has built a name for itself. They could sell crap on a stick and it would sell. Why, because its whats in. It gives a sense of sophistcation. Now hp palm need to build a name for themselves in the smartphone sector. That can be done through hardware for the moment
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcolon3 View Post
    This is true but its Apple. Apple has built a name for itself. They could sell crap on a stick and it would sell. Why, because its whats in. It gives a sense of sophistcation. Now hp palm need to build a name for themselves in the smartphone sector. That can be done through hardware for the moment
    oh and I agree with you 100, but I was replying regarding your argument on people wanting a phone smaller then 4 inchs, not whos producing it. Even Nokia still moved 26 million devices this year, and they dont (yet N9) have a flagship 4 inch phone. I think as most that even this design is thought after (portrait slider) though yes the screen could be bigger, and prob will be since this paticular design I believe was already in production before the acquistion. So hopefully when they announce these new design, yes keep a portrait slider, but come with a 4 inch slab too.
  8. Helidos's Avatar
    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    last time I checked the Iphone out sells all those phones you stated (this year SO FAR over 5 million sold) and the screen size stays at 3.5 inchs. Also Smartphones are still in the minority at only 21% are using them, and I dont think the other 79% of those basic feature phones are 4 inchs.
    Total units sold yes apples holds the crown for now but sales for the year umm check again...

    http://www.blogcdn.com/www.switched....-mobile-os.jpg

    Android phones are being activated at close to 200k a day...

    Notice a increase in android sales about the time all the big 4" phones hit the market and the drop after the iphone 4 hit the market ya tell me again people want small screens on there phone..
    Last edited by helidos; 10/21/2010 at 03:09 PM.
  9. #49  
    if they brought that out tomorrow, I'd drop $299, with no mail in rebate or anything.

    but they won't, so I may get an Evo next month and then sell it when a bad@ss webOS phone drops. If people even still want Evos by the time that happens, haha.
  10. Traxion's Avatar
    Posts
    153 Posts
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    #50  
    The only reason I still have my Pre... is because of WebOS. Thats it. There really isnt much about the Pre itself that makes me feel all warm and cozy inside. I want new hardware, with a bigger screen. I really just want the Venue Pro running WebOS.

    But its each to his own. Which is the main reason why: HP needs several form factor devices

    They cant continue the current trend... and I really believe HP knows that. Which is why we shall see something "in the coming months".
    "I will go in this way, but I'll find my own way out." -DMB

    Dear Lord,
    Please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over standard TCP/IP.
    Amen.
  11. #51  
    I think something that is really stifling the conversation here is that those who want 4"+ screens seem to find it appalling that anyone would want a smartphone smaller than that. On the other hand those who want a smaller form factor (me included) seem to acknowledge that several form factors are necessary but they don't want to see HP do away with the smaller form factor.

    Ideally for me, the overall dimensions and form factor of the Pre can be maintained while the screen real estate is optimized to increase the usable portion of the screen.

    <Rant> What I don't get is all the people who bought the Pre and are now complaining about the screen size. Where you blind at the time of purchase and through out the 30 day trial? Was there a lack of phones with bigger screens at the time of your purchase? How can you complain about something that you couldn't help but notice from the moment the sales rep put the phone in your hands. </rant>
  12. #52  
    I just want hardware that compliments the software. Is anybody else with me?!


    My Themes:CLICK HERE
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    I just want hardware that compliments the software. Is anybody else with me?!
    Yes we'll be waiting nearly two years before we sniff anything close.
  14. mpfef's Avatar
    Posts
    180 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    last time I checked the Iphone out sells all those phones you stated (this year SO FAR over 5 million sold) and the screen size stays at 3.5 inchs. Also Smartphones are still in the minority at only 21% are using them, and I dont think the other 79% of those basic feature phones are 4 inchs.
    BTW, Apple sold 14.1 million iPhones last QUARTER.
  15. #55  
    Those aren't bad but I actually like the idea of something more like this one:

    http://forums.precentral.net/attachm...eap_mockup.png
    Virtual keyboard, thin, HD screen ratio. Pretty cool.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcolon3 View Post
    4.3 slab 960x640 or 4in portrait or landscape slider
    dualcore zzzzzzzomap4 1ghz with cpu scaling
    1500 mah battery
    720mb ram
    32gb rom
    hdmi output
    6mp autofocus camera
    3mp front facing camera
    wifi bgn
    bluetooth 3.0
    3g/4g
    fm reciever
    digital compass
    gyroscope
    amazing battery life
    better keyboard
    beyond what is required
    dtv receiver
    garmin gps software non assisted gps


    webos 2.x
    GpU UI 2.0 still seems jagged when scrolling
    skype on all carriers
    some type of widgets like superior mock up
    more animation with cards to make webos look more attractive
    better music app like nanplayer
    better email and calender
    try to incorporate more patches
    netflix
    slingplayer
    hulu
    game controller

    We need to get this right. For those complaining about "I NEED TO HAVE A KEYBOARD" well thats not what is selling right now so suck it up BIG DISPLAYS are IN. And yes all that is listed is necessary. ALL OF IT. It seems single core processors are still not powerful enough to make webos 2.0 fly. I think its because the operating system is so inefficient. pre 2 is fast but still not fast enough. Hopefully dual core can seriously speed things up.


    I think the fact that webos is so clean looking (something that i love) is actually hurting webos. When someone looks at android (even though it looks cluttered) they say wow look at all this stuff this thing has to offer. While on webos you have to search for those things (if you can find it). At a glance info must somehow be incorporated.

    i think this Guy did an awesome job with his widgets
    [url]

    This guys gets landscape form spot on
    [url]
    *Vaporware* Show me a phone IN EXISTeNCE that has specs remotely close to that. Note that TI's 4400 and QC's 9900 HAVE NOT SHIPPED ANYWHERE YET merely demo samples are being passed around.

    The OMAP 3640 in the Pre2 is TI's TOP OF THE LINE OMAP3 chip plain and simple. Google "smartphone comparisons" and look at all the charts that pop up. Guess what you'll see?

    -1ghz cpus
    -512MB ram
    -8~16gb storage

    Those SAME *SPECS* as the Pre2. Features will differ but you know what? Autofocus or not, MANY people agree the Pre- pics are BETTER in quality that many of those in the comparison charts. (autofocus does not a better camera make)

    Plus NO ONE ON P|C HAS SEEN FINAL HARDWARE! As someone whose worked on electronic circuits firmware can change performance drastically. (the reason Dieter's unit is a little stuttery and Joshua's was flying)
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by PJaE00 View Post
    At That Point, Its Not Even A Phone Anymore......Its A Multifunctional Device With A Cell Phone Radio Built In.
    Yeah but it's not an INTERNET COMMUNICATIONS DEVICE. I'm not interested. Thanks.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Total units sold yes apples holds the crown for now but sales for the year umm check again...

    http://www.blogcdn.com/www.switched....-mobile-os.jpg

    Android phones are being activated at close to 200k a day...

    Notice a increase in android sales about the time all the big 4" phones hit the market and the drop after the iphone 4 hit the market ya tell me again people want small screens on there phone..
    they still do believe me, as I stated most people want a compact phone, just because 4 inch phones made a splash in a ocean of a market dosent mean thats what everyone wants. As stated how many 4 inch phones does nokia have currently and they shipped over 26million phones for the quarter http://www.phonedog.com/2010/10/21/n...ate-of-2-to-1/ (still the current leader) Im talking worldwide here not just in the states, and still with android being on all 4 carriers, pushing phones out every couple of months still barely outsold the Iphone on one carrier in one quarter see my point yet. You base this assumption on a yr worth of data, with a market flooded with android devices, and nothing else but the iphone4. I also know that between the iphone 4 alone sold more then the 4 inch EVO, EPIC, Droidx, and Samsung (all). Now even with iphone coming to Verizon, I gurrantee Verizon subscribers will go balistic, and increase as well as current subscribers will ditch yes ditch their 4 inch droids for a 3.5 inch Iphone watch and see. Then check the Q1 2011 sales between Apple and Google.
    Last edited by wellwellwell11; 10/21/2010 at 06:41 PM.
  19. #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by mpfef View Post
    BTW, Apple sold 14.1 million iPhones last QUARTER.
    correct but thats world wide they shipped 5.2 here in the states IPhone Helps AT&T Edge Q3 Sales Views - Investors.com
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Yeah but it's not an INTERNET COMMUNICATIONS DEVICE. I'm not interested. Thanks.
    Im not disagreeing with him, im just stating that now-a-days, we desire a lot more than just a phone. Look at how much the phone has evolved in the past 10 years. We barely had colored screens 10 years ago (I however do miss playing snake on my Nokia.) Now we are beggin for HD screens, HDMI outputs. Next thing you know, 6 months from now, we are going to demand 7 inch 3D screens that can be folded to 4 inches and into our pockets. Palms OS can keep up with times, we just wish their hardware would too.
    Last edited by PJaE00; 10/21/2010 at 06:57 PM.


    My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

    Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions