Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    All that Palm needs is better marketing, better commercials, more training for cellular staff on their devices and upfront informative videos about the Palm Pre 2 and all its features the moment you buy it.

The phones should come with a Touchstone and force you to charge the phone the first use, and while its charging a 20 minute video should play that showcases all the features of WebOS.

Because people are idiots.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    All that Palm needs is better marketing, better commercials, more training for cellular staff on their devices and upfront informative videos about the Palm Pre 2 and all its features the moment you buy it.

The phones should come with a Touchstone and force you to charge the phone the first use, and while its charging a 20 minute video should play that showcases all the features of WebOS.

Because people are idiots.
    [And superior hardware]

While I understand what you're hinting at...

No one wants to have to be trained to use their phone.
    this is... Ridiculous
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    You sound like Ruby on the earnings calls talking about how all they needed was to improve on training, and that they had a plan to succeed and remain independent and....

Yeah.

This isn't rocket science. What are the market leaders doing that people are responding to? It's not releasing 3-inch sliders at 2009 resolutions and a "2.0" that still doesn't completely fix a lot of 1.0 issues.
    I find it sad that people are wowed by "big" screens
    I really like the size and form factor of the Pre Plus. While I agree that Palm or HP needs additional hardware features and form factors on multiple devices, I donít think that we need to abandon the segment of the smartphone community that likes a small efficient phone with a hardware keyboard. I carry my phone in my shirt pocket and most people donít even know that I am carrying a smartphone.

Bigger screens and batteries will result in larger cases and more weight. Soon you wonít be able to carry the phone without a holster. The Specs in the O.P. are impressive but I would never buy a phone with that form factor, it would not suit my personal needs. I also do not think that I need to ďsuck it upĒ and get a big smartphone with a virtual keyboard that weighs almost a half a Pound to enjoy the capabilities of a smartphone.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    I find it sad that people are wowed by "big" screens
    These devices tout their Web browsing and multimedia performance. Wouldn't it be natural to have a more sizable, higher resolution screen to take advantage of said features?
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    I really like the size and form factor of the Pre Plus. While I agree that Palm or HP needs additional hardware features and form factors on multiple devices, I donít think that we need to abandon the segment of the smartphone community that likes a small efficient phone with a hardware keyboard. I carry my phone in my shirt pocket and most people donít even know that I am carrying a smartphone.

Bigger screens and batteries will result in larger cases and more weight. Soon you wonít be able to carry the phone without a holster. The Specs in the O.P. are impressive but I would never buy a phone with that form factor, it would not suit my personal needs. I also do not think that I need to ďsuck it upĒ and get a big smartphone with a virtual keyboard that weighs almost a half a Pound to enjoy the capabilities of a smartphone.
    How long are we going to exaggerate the size and weight of 4-inch+ phones? These devices are roughly the same size as a Pre with the keyboard out, so if you've ever used your keyboard and held it comfortably in your hand, you can do the same with these. The Evo and Epic weigh, maybe, 20 grams or so more than a Pre Plus. They fit comfortably in any normal pants pocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    How long are we going to exaggerate the size and weight of 4-inch+ phones? These devices are roughly the same size as a Pre with the keyboard out, so if you've ever used your keyboard and held it comfortably in your hand, you can do the same with these. The Evo and Epic weigh, maybe, 20 grams or so more than a Pre Plus. They fit comfortably in any normal pants pocket.
    I agree with above.

I think most people here don't realize that while marketing and what not was horrible. Look at what the other companies are doing 3.7"+ screens and they are selling like hotcakes. It is all well and good to have diversity. But not catering to what the market is telling you. (That a lot of people want bigger screens as they continue to do more and more on their phone) Is just plain bad business.

Also the cell phone industry has become a game of one upping the other company with specs or features.

I love my pre but it has neither the hardware or the apps to make a huge splash in it's current state.

Which is why I'm pretty sure HPalm didn't have an "event" for the pre 2. It is more of a bug fix release then a real new phone release.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Until Palm releases a huge slab...

Evo 4G = 6.0oz
    Pre -/+ = 4.76oz
    Pre 2 = 5.1oz

Next Gen Palm will be close to evo if they increase the screen size so ya people blow the screen size / weight way out of proportion.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I agree with where you're going - I would like to see 3.5 or 3.7 inch screen myself, but with 4+ its not the height that is the problem for most people, its the width. I've held a 4.3 inch phone and it feels more uncomfortable (slightly) holding the phone as your hands are stretched a little more than when you're holding a Pre or even an iPhone for that matter.

As to the OP, a phone with all those features would be impressive list but no phone has all of that - I'll be happy if the next post Pre phone has 2/3 of the list, obviously with a focus on the hardware.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I don't think the need for the giant screen is needed. I think 3.7" is going to be that sweet spot of big enough to be a good size but also small enough to be pocketable. One of the biggest things that keep me from switching to something like the Droid X or even the Evo is just how big they are. If I'm having to ask myself if I should just leave my phone in the car or not rather than shoving it in my pocket then that's a problem.

However, if they could I'd actually suggest a dual route if they hadn't have done the blasted Palm Pre 2. Do a 3.5" portrait slider and a 4" landscape slider. Thus you hit both sides of that market. Beyond that it'd be nice for progressions in technology, but I'd be fine that WHEN RELEASED if its simply top end tech.
    Despite some issues, webOS 2.0 is probably neck and neck with iOS4 when it comes to polish and ease of use, and that's a pretty huge thing for Palm. This isn't just a good OS, it's a great OS, and the updates in this version have made it even better. It's obvious that when combined with even slightly better hardware, it's also a fast experience that makes it easy to get real work done. And that's the problem with webOS 2.0, really. Palm is still hampered by last-generation, underpowered hardware. The Pre 2 is nice, but it's not cutting edge, and it doesn't hold a candle to the iPhone 4 or G2. If Palm wants to survive in this game -- let alone truly compete -- it needs to push killer hardware into the marketplace now. The faithful are dwindling, and the smartphone race is getting more crowded every day -- webOS 2.0 is a big improvement, but if this and the Pre 2 are Palm's hail mary, they just lost the game
    engaget

I think that sums it up to me, Engagdet does state that with just 1ghz processor and upgrades internally and I quote,"On the Pre 2, the OS was incredibly fast. We're talking seriously impressive performance, which just seems to prove that a big part of what webOS is missing is great, high performance hardware. Moving from app to app was extremely light and quick, and opening applications was far faster than on any previous Palm handset or OS version. Little things like word correction and searches popped up quickly, and browser load times seemed dramatically improved. In addition, the feel of navigation in the launcher panels and in long lists was way tighter, providing scrolling and panning that felt solid and confident. We did see the occasional stall when opening an app in a sea of cards, but most of the time the OS hummed along with little interruption. In terms of overall gloss, webOS 2.0 feels like a best-in-class contender, coming off as slicker and more thoughtful than most smartphone OSs on the market.

I think if this is just a refresher device, something they had on the shelf collecting dust, but has better performance out of the box then the pre and plus versions then fine, use it to show case Webos2.0 this fall. I think this is just that, otherwise they could just wait until sometime in march or april and launch new devices. To me yes the pre2 will hurt Webos creditabilty abit, but it does help get maybe that much more people interested in it with a better design old model. I opt for a bigger screen too, def not a 4 inch one, but maybe the size of the htc droid incredable 3.7. To me that is the biggest size a cell phone screen should be, if any bigger to me its not a comfortable mobile device, and reaches a tablet stage. I say lets wait until CES or late Q1 and see what HP and Palm have been cooking, then make judgements on devices running a as stated great OS.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/19/webos-2-0-review/
    Last edited by wellwellwell11; 10/21/2010 at 01:29 PM.
    4" slab 960x640
    dualcore omap4 1ghz with cpu scaling
    1500 mah battery
    512mb RAM
    16gb flash memory
    micro-SD slot
    mini-HDMI out
    8mp autofocus camera with dual LED flash
    0.7mp front camera
    wifi b/g/n
    bluetooth 3.0
    3G/4G
    compass
    gyroscope
    landscape slider keyboard
    This would be a more realistic speccing of your "super" slab.
    Before they can think landscape slider, they gotta enable most of the OS in landscape. Not only is there no virtual keyboard in any orientation (still not in WebOS 2.0, apparently), but a lot of apps - even native ones like email - are still portrait only.

I think a large part of the reason why there isn't more all-encompassing updated hardware is that the OS isn't ready to support it from what we have seen of 2.0.
    Before they can think landscape slider, they gotta enable most of the OS in landscape. Not only is there no virtual keyboard in any orientation (still not in WebOS 2.0, apparently), but a lot of apps - even native ones like email - are still portrait only.

I think a large part of the reason why there isn't more all-encompassing updated hardware is that the OS isn't ready to support it from what we have seen of 2.0.
    That is a good point.
    They really couldn't make a slab device either that worked well with out more Landscape support.
    I mean they could do it without full landscape support but it definitely would not seem very polished if not even the native apps supported it.
    Quote Originally Posted by spectre686 View Post
    That is a good point.
    They really couldn't make a slab device either that worked well with out more Landscape support.
    I mean they could do it without full landscape support but it definitely would not seem very polished if not even the native apps supported it.
    Yea but the odds are strong that if they design and release such a device they'll also probably be planning a major 2.x update to release with the device to add those functions.
    I have to say that the OP's specs wouldn't wow me. I don't want a giant slab. I want a slightly larger pre2 that isn't made of fragile plastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Yea but the odds are strong that if they design and release such a device they'll also probably be planning a major 2.x update to release with the device to add those functions.
    Well, they have a few months before the tablet is announced (it has to be done by then), and in that time, they have to make a great virtual keyboard with way more robust error correction than what we've seen in 2.0 thus far along with rewriting A LOT of native and third party apps to not only be multi-oriented, but also support multiple resolutions (yes, you can just resize, but non-"HD" iPad apps show why this isn't really a panacea).

Wish 'em the best of luck.
    though my question is if our hombrew community could always enable landscape into applications like SMS, and MMS, then how difficult is it for HP/Palm to enable it? Really even the VK that the Hombrewers made was sufficent enough for most.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast