Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    The posts about the next superphone to totally have to have at least 1 GB of RAM are just plain silly.

    Even the 512 MB are *not* *actually* *used* in practice.

    Reviewers started > 50 apps before they ran into issues.
    50 apps (including several 3D games) were running fine on Pre 2.

    Nobody actually runs even half of that. Why would you, I or anybody want to have several 3D games run at the same time? That's fun for show off at review time - but will anyone actually run more than 10-20 apps even in extreme cases?

    So what's the point of having 1 GB (which means extra cost = higher price BTW) of RAM when more than half of that will never be used?

    The rest of the list is overblown also. We all have our little preferences - but's a mistake to assume that what I think is cool is universally cool.

    "At least 3.7" screen"? That assumes that bigger is better when it comes to screens - which ignores the fact that this also adds size (duh), weight, power drain and cost to the phone. Of course a larger screen is good *by itself* - but smaller and lighter is good too. In between people have a variety of preferences where they compromise between the extremes.

    Front facing cameras are a minority interest.
    4G is IMHO overrated atm - given coverage and prices. It's main use would be for video calls - and again most people don't use that anyway.

    The best strategy of course is to add a range of form factors to capture the largest possible range of customer preferences.

    Of course I would welcome cool features (as long as I don't have to pay extra for stuff I don't use like useless RAM). Autofocus would be nice, higher resolution (display and video recording) is nice.

    But many of the "must haves" that get listed - are not must haves for the general market - just for the guy posting it. Especially when it comes to silly things like 1 GB of RAM this seems to be more about bragging rights and less about useful features that are worth any money.
    No one here is saying all HPalm phones should be this powerful with big screens. However, are you saying every phone should have small 3.2 screens with specs that hardly impress? Sure the Pre 2 is a good device, but its not going to take on the iPhone (but it will beat the BB Torch to death).

    I think HPalm needs phones like the Pre 2. I think they need a phone with no keyboard. I think they need phones that are powerful enough to do anything you could dream of.

    And 4G is not over rated, creating phones for it now mean when coverage is greater we will have access to it. And the only reason ppl dont do video calls is no one really has it yet. But i couldn't begin to tell u how many grandparents will love being able to see their grandchildren with their phones. Once this technology is wide spread, more ppl will use it.
  2. #22  
    For Palm to "make waves" they have to "do something different". Sure, catch up with hardware so other companies can't say they have better/faster hardware, but if they don't "innovate", palm will just be another follower. What do I mean? When apple introduced the iphone, they introduced the world to the gyroscope in a handheld phone (amongst many other things). Something no one else thought of - or if they did, they didn't market it well enough as apple did. Palm did great when they came out with the touchstone - what a sleeper that device was! They never marketed it's abilities (such as the fact that the touchstone doesn't use any energy when the phone is not sitting on it). Talk about green technology just sitting there with no marketing. They also introduced true multitasking and the wave bar (another sleeper).

    Then apple introduced a different gyroscope - not just x/y rotation, but now z rotation. What did palm introduce? Bigger, faster hardware? Uhhh. That's not going to work.

    Palm needs to come up with new ways of doing things, new technology, new innovation. Just making a faster/bigger device is great, but isn't going to get their market share anywhere near apple.
  3. #23  
    I really wish some of you would come to a simple realization that YOUR PREFERENCE != MY PREFERENCES!

    Seriously, Palm is going to release a range of form factors. When my upgrade is available, I would gladly trade my Pre Plus for the Pre 2. It's stock clocked at 1GHz on a smaller process node (means I don't have to void my warranty and risk premature CPU death to get 1GHz). Better battery life, a nice rubber side, no small annoying uUSB door, and a GLASS screen. I would assume the keyboard is likely better as well. More than worth the upgrade for someone who actually LIKES this form factor and the screen size. I wouldn't mind a bump up to around 3.7-3.8", but any larger would likely turn me off.

    This is all about preferences. And for those who think there are no sales to be made, the Pre Plus is still selling (though not in great numbers), evidenced by the fact market share held. It will sell if the price is right.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    800 x 480 would be a failure, they need to come out with 720p or i which ever one is for screen resolution
    720p = 1280 x 720

    show me a phone that has that re.
  5. #25  
    Anyone think it's sad that screen resolution didn't matter until the iphone 4 touted it?

    The HTC HD2 was out November 2009, well before the iphone 4, and it had a nice and juicy resolution of 480 x 800. No one gave a **** about it.

    Apple coins a new phrase to re-invent something that someone else has done and then the world goes nuts for it.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    Anyone think it's sad that screen resolution didn't matter until the iphone 4 touted it?

    The HTC HD2 was out November 2009, well before the iphone 4, and it had a nice and juicy resolution of 480 x 800. No one gave a **** about it.

    Apple coins a new phrase to re-invent something that someone else has done and then the world goes nuts for it.

    +1 u r absolutely right, if they released a larger form factor with a nice clear "juicy" res as u put it, i would b completely happy. good way to describe the situation...
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    Anyone think it's sad that screen resolution didn't matter until the iphone 4 touted it?

    The HTC HD2 was out November 2009, well before the iphone 4, and it had a nice and juicy resolution of 480 x 800. No one gave a **** about it.

    Apple coins a new phrase to re-invent something that someone else has done and then the world goes nuts for it.
    I second that, and your completly right. It goes the same as processor speed people think the higher the better, though phones like the 3Gs (which was pitted against phones like the nexus one with a 1ghz processor and was faster) and the G2 (which benchmark showed it faster then the droid X, and droid 2 variants) still shows with the right combination of specs a certain device will run more then efficently regardless of what is said on paper.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by ppp2 View Post
    For Palm to "make waves" they have to "do something different". Sure, catch up with hardware so other companies can't say they have better/faster hardware, but if they don't "innovate", palm will just be another follower. What do I mean? When apple introduced the iphone, they introduced the world to the gyroscope in a handheld phone (amongst many other things). Something no one else thought of - or if they did, they didn't market it well enough as apple did. Palm did great when they came out with the touchstone - what a sleeper that device was! They never marketed it's abilities (such as the fact that the touchstone doesn't use any energy when the phone is not sitting on it). Talk about green technology just sitting there with no marketing. They also introduced true multitasking and the wave bar (another sleeper).

    Then apple introduced a different gyroscope - not just x/y rotation, but now z rotation. What did palm introduce? Bigger, faster hardware? Uhhh. That's not going to work.

    Palm needs to come up with new ways of doing things, new technology, new innovation. Just making a faster/bigger device is great, but isn't going to get their market share anywhere near apple.
    The thing I see about Palm is, it's always been about the software. The Pre, for instance, was not the greatest in terms of build quality. It didn't bring new things in terms of hardware. But it brought some amazing features in terms of software. Hopefully, with HP splitting the bill and Nokia and Samsung exec's helping Palm out that Palm can produce new technology that will further things. CES 2011 is a good time for HP to get the lime light. And unlike in 2009 -- when Palm wowed us -- HP will have the money to carry that to success. Whereas Palm was counting on the Pre and Pixi to get them out of a money situation that was going from bad to worse.

    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    I second that, and your completly right. It goes the same as processor speed people think the higher the better, though phones like the 3Gs (which was pitted against phones like the nexus one with a 1ghz processor and was faster) and the G2 (which benchmark showed it faster then the droid X, and droid 2 variants) still shows with the right combination of specs a certain device will run more then efficiently regardless of what is said on paper.
    Thats true. Specs don't always matter. I sometimes forget this fact, but no one can deny it. However, with a combination of good specs and good efficiency (and good software) is a combination that will be hard to beat.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Thats true. Specs don't always matter. I sometimes forget this fact, but no one can deny it. However, with a combination of good specs and good efficiency (and good software) is a combination that will be hard to beat.

    its like jobbs said, "they make great software", and now they just need to find that median where they can make good/great hardware with good/great specs to compliment their great software we'll have a win
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    Yeah, but according to Engadgets review it still get the tmc message even with no cards open.

    "We also had a handful of "too many card" notices, sometimes even when we had no cards open. It's possible that this may be due to memory leaks from apps, but a user should hardly ever see this message. We eventually had to do a soft reset to get the handset performing normally again."
    this is true, but please remember that they were doing a review based on hardware and software which aren't final. I'm sure the final version of 2.0 will have these few memory leaks fixed.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    720p = 1280 x 720

    show me a phone that has that re.
    That is the whole idea sir, introduce that resolution 720p as NO phone has it.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    'you will never need more than 640K, huh?' ... Gtho with that.



    so, clearly you have never used 4G. And thank god your 'opinion' doesn't count.
    Yeah, I have used Sprint's "4G" (I put it in quotes because it doesn't actually meet the standard's definition for 4G) and it is amazing. I used it on a Samsung Epic and WOW. I tried testing the speed with that website for testing mobile speed and it could not do it - said it was too fast. I also surfed a bunch and tried web-connected apps and it's a whole other level/world. No more waiting for 20 seconds for something to load and render. It was just like being connected via an ethernet cable. Impressive.

    (And no, it was not in a store. It was a friend's device)
  13. #33  
    this is an article from webosworld:

    What Happened to the Palm c40? (UPDATED!)

    The title says it all. Back in January of this year leaked Sprint documents found their way onto the web, and they were showcased on many gadget blogs around the internet. From this list, most every device has since come to fruition; This includes the HTC A9292 WiMAX candy bar (EVO 4G), LG clamshells, Sanyo devices, and those colorful offerings from Samsung. One device that hasn’t yet panned out is the Palm c40. So what happened to it?
    Earlier this year Palm had just released their “Plus” models on Verizon and AT&T. Needless to say they were not the best *sellers, forcing carriers to throw in incentives to sell them at an accelerated rate; like free mobile hotspot and BoGo options. Palm needed something to keep them afloat. They had to test waters in a new type of market, one still untouched. So they sought to be one of the first companies to produce a 4G device. By doing this they were aware their competition would initially be very little, and their device would fly with those larger than life speeds.
    Early this summer though everything changed. Designers and engineers of webOS began leaving the company, along with a range of others. They were the sinking ship that couldn’t be saved as many news outlets claimed. Palm was a once revolutionary company that just couldn’t keep up with modern day rapid advancements. What ended up happening was unthinkable. Palm sold themselves to the highest bidder. HP happened to put in the best offer and now owned the rights to everything Palm- including the c40.
    Initially the Palm c40 (under Palm) was put in two concepts designs. One was a slide out portrait, very*reminiscent of the Pre. The other was a horizontal slider very much like the Epic 4G.**The stats back in March/April were quite impressive:
    1ghz CPU
    3.7″ glass screen
    Revamped physical keyboard
    Amazing thinness ~0.5″
    Newer versions of webOS
    5MP camera with 720p recording capabilities
    800 x 480 resolution
    The phone was initially slated for a July 2010 release. You see, Sprint had quite an amazing little plan. Their goal was to release one 4G smartphone per month all summer long; The Evo would be released in June, the c40 in July, and the Epic in August. All three devices would be geared towards different audiences, but they would all offer the same ultra fast speeds. This release date changed however when HP stepped on the scene in April.
    The first thing HP introduced to this testing lineup was a new “prototype phone” with specs they wanted to see in the two previous models. It had:
    4″ LCD capacitive glass screen
    8MP camera with 720p recording
    Front facing camera
    960 x 640 resolution
    DLNA support
    1.2ghz CPU
    We have been told that the portrait slider has undergone the most testing. There is a very good chance that the c40 will be shipped looking very much like a Palm Pre on Steroids. We may see many of the prototypes phone’s specs to be carried over to the revamped c40.
    So, now you’re asking yourself when can I expect to see this new beast? Multiple rumors around the web have been pointing towards a September*announcement, but we have been told that it should be released between October-December (Q4). They said Sprint*would*be pushing the device for Holiday season 2010. We were informed that the model(s) coming to Sprint will be exclusively 4G WiMAX (naturally) but it would be available in other countries 3G markets as well at a later time, similar to the Samsung Galaxy S type launch that we saw this year.
    Check back soon for new updates.
    ~Jackson
    Update: From a different connect we are hearing of news about a palm device on atleast one other carrier. Hopefully more info to follow on this one shortly!
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by ppp2 View Post
    For Palm to "make waves" they have to "do something different". Sure, catch up with hardware so other companies can't say they have better/faster hardware, but if they don't "innovate", palm will just be another follower.

    Palm needs to come up with new ways of doing things, new technology, new innovation. Just making a faster/bigger device is great, but isn't going to get their market share anywhere near apple.
    First, I agree with and and always thought this unfortunately a lot of people don't get it. Multitasking was Palms big innovative idea when then came out but they need another hit.

    You got any crazy good ideas?


    I'm thinking something like this:

    Mozilla's Seabird phone concept teaches us how to dream -- Engadget
  15. mike5's Avatar
    Posts
    762 Posts
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    so, clearly you have never used 4G. And thank god your 'opinion' doesn't count.
    I agree w/you. My nephew has the Epic--no 4G in Phoenix, but came home to San Antonio last weekend for a family wedding. 4G was noticeable & significant. I never did have him do a speed test, though.
  16. #36  
    [QUOTE=astraith;2723980]No one here is saying all HPalm phones should be this powerful with big screens. However, are you saying every phone should have small 3.2 screens with specs that hardly impress?

    Nope. I believe I said the opposite:
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap
    The best strategy of course is to add a range of form factors to capture the largest possible range of customer preferences.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    Sure the Pre 2 is a good device, but its not going to take on the iPhone (but it will beat the BB Torch to death).
    Give me the choice between IPhone4 and Pre2 and I will pick the Pre2. Just as I picked the Pre over the Iphone 3GS.

    But I agree that the Pre2 will not beat the IPhone4 generally in the market. I also don't think that anybody at HPalm believes that.

    That's not the point. The Pre2 doesn't have to beat the IPhone and conquer the market. It only has to appeal to that percentage of the market who like the form factor without having the return rates and other issues of the original Pre (or so I hear - mine is fine).
    It's just a bridge device until HPalm can bring more models to market. It's what they had in the pipeline.

    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    And the only reason ppl dont do video calls is no one really has it yet. But i couldn't begin to tell u how many grandparents will love being able to see their grandchildren with their phones. Once this technology is wide spread, more ppl will use it.
    I agree with 2 out of 3 points you made in that paragraph. Yes, (grand-) parents will love it and more people will use it (but that's not saying much when you start from 0 :-) ).
    But I disagree with the first point. It's been available in at least parts of Europe for years. There were TV spots about how cool it is to use video telephony half a decade ago. The carriers wanted to push it so people buy into UMTS.
    UMTS phones are widespread now. Plenty of people have phones capable of video telephony. Few use it. It's inconvenient. People consider voice inconvenient and actually text more and talk less. Video is not helpful to most people under most circumstances. Actually - I'm just assuming that some people use it - never met anybody who actually did.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions