Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Palm has launched the Pre 2. Now lets start talking super phone ...
    Do you think that the C40 was not the Pre 2? Maybe HPalm wanted to release a quick update, just to tide the fans (even though Sprint isn't getting it ...) and they wanted to launch a super phone -- The RoadRunner HD / C40 -- as a Super Phone/4G device? And they wanted the extra time, so they can not only make it WiMAX but also LTE for Verizon, and launch it on both carriers at the same time, with ATT's either not being 4G or just be delayed until ATT get;s their 4G LTE running?

Any thoughts, ideas?
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    one thought, check the sprint app catalog..asphalt 5 HD, the roadrunner or c40 is coming..just probably either holiday season push or next year after CES. pre2 was a filler phone, it wasnt announced, no ads/marketing from vz or hapalm, i am sure with their superphone out they will hopefully market it like crazy, how htc does their evo, samsung does their galaxy, and sprint does them both, the marketing for those phones are insane, contests and dedicated websites w/ mini games/movies. if hapalm and sprint work together for their superphone im sold. ive had my upgrade for few months now, guess my TealOS centro will have to do for now.
    good find on that asphalt hd... im reallllllllllllllly hoping they might announce something at the engadget show tommorow. that would make my month....
    It is just an update to the asphalt game I believe. It wasn't working for a while. And why do you keep calling it "hapalm"?

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    I saw the asphalt hd today. Was wondering myself. Not sure what it represents
    LOL@ the term "super-phone". Which essentially means a brick in your pocket.
    Treo 650 > HTC Mogul > HTC Touch Diamond > BB Curve > Palm PRE > HTC Evo + BB Bold
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    I saw the asphalt hd today. Was wondering myself. Not sure what it represents
    The A5 HD is an update that replaced the non working A5 after 1.4.5 webos came out, game now runs after the patch, i do not know how to get into like game logs or files to see if HD is just a name or if the game has actually has the screen res/dpi for an HD device..that would be the real key to salvation here, a HD palm phone coming out. A5 is on other devices, so they could be syncing name with other devices that are HD? But then again they do their updates platform specific

hapalm = hp + palm = hpalm = pronounciation, ha-palm
    Asphalt 5 HD is not the only one... A lot of Gameloft's games bear an HD moniker and have for a while so I wouldn't count the "HD" moniker in these games as a sign of things to come. Palm released the webOS 2.0 Beta AUGUST 31, 2010. The oldest "last updated" date on any app with an HD moniker is currently 6/22/2010. The theory is a good one but it would make more sense if the all the games came out or were updated after the introduction of webOS 2.0.

Gameloft
    The Oregon Trail HD Updated 08/2/2010
    Blockus HD Updated 10/19/2010
    Pocket Chef HD Updated 09/14/2010
    Brain Challenge HD Updated 10/4/2010
    Gangstar Hustle HD Updated 09/24/2010
    Brother's in Arms Global Front HD Updated 10/11/2010

Prolog
    ProBook HD 09/10/2010
    DonTalk HD 09/8/2010

Other Developers
    Flashlight HD 07/15/2010
    Fireplace HD 09/29/2010
    LatinoHD.com 06/22/2010
    Last edited by remix2000; 10/21/2010 at 12:39 AM.
    Cellphone History- Audiovox CDM9155> Sanyo 5150>Samsung SCH-1000>Samsung N400> PalmTreo 300> Palm Treo 600>Palm Treo 700P> Palm Centro> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    There's no reason to think that HPalm has a superphone coming.
    There is ALSO no reason to think that they don't.

Your rhetorical thoughts are just as valuable/invaluable as anyone else's, here, you know...

We will see for sure over the next few months.

Last edited by LCGuy; 10/21/2010 at 08:29 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    There is ALSO no reason to think that they aren't.
    There is also no reason to believe they won't release an iPad killer, and offer it free with every superphone. There is no reason to believe they won't include a pony, (upgradable to a unicorn) in every box.

Wishing for a thing does not make it a viable possibility. Of course, there will be other phones, and other phones after those. Sprint is certainly going to carry one of them at some point in the future. It makes little sense for HP to release a superphone right on top of the phone they just announced, killing the P2 in its infancy.

I suspect Sprint still has inventory of old phones that they don't want to take a loss on. It just doesn't make sense to keep saying that Sprint is waiting for the next big release, as that is what we have been saying since the P+ was released. The P2 proves that theory wrong.
  11.    #11  
    There's no reason to think that HPalm has a superphone coming. They have never done so before and they haven't been saying anything about any kind of big-time hardware specs. The C40 showed up in August 2009 so any device that has been cooking that long can't be that super after all this time. Finally, webOS isn't the most developed mobile OS in terms of hardware features it can support. I mean, it's still waiting to support the microphone right? No compass or gyroscope on the horizon or front facing camera. And nothing beyond 320x480 resolution.

HPalm is still trying to make a compelling smartphone for the every day user that they can sell for $150 or $200 on contract and trying to get the basic hardware right so I find it hard to believe that they are going to go after the user that is looking for the super phone.
    Are you joking or serious? And I think HP is wanting to make a superphone, it's very clear they want a piece of Apples pie. All their products are moving closer to what Apple does and WebOS will allow them to compete with Apple's iOS more so then Windows 7/Windows Phone 7.
    I agree with the sentiment that there isn't a HPalm superphone coming. Atleast not a superphone along the lines of a EVO, iPhone 4, Epic, or Droid X. Palm has never been in the business of making superphones/PDAs and I'm very wary of HP's ability to compete with HTC, Apple, Motorola, or even Samsung on modern cellphone design robustness; at least in the first generation.
    "There is also no reason to believe they won't release an iPad killer, and offer it free with every superphone. There is no reason to believe they won't include a pony, (upgradable to a unicorn) in every box."

Yes, there are reasons - offering something free wont yeild them a profit. That's business 101.

HP doesnt raise ponies - I doubt they have the expertese, as well. So, this is irrelevant.

We all wish for things, however, pragmatic thought is different than prognosticating or conjecture.

Neither your or Untidyguy's statements have any more rational credibility than anyone else here, because you are speculating (regarding Sprint's inventory), as is he (he is ALWAYS down on Palm/HP - you can set your clock to his posts - the bias is clear).

I respect your opinion, his opinion, as well as those who opine differently than the prevailing ones here, all with the same amount of credibility as I would my own opinion - just remember, though: its what we DO NOT know that is of the most importance. Anyone who posts with an intent to convince others about something like this has a motive that is, clearly, not focused on discussion and learning, but rather on painting a picture of this company and their products to suit his/her own personal goals.

We will see if they have a superphone in the works - the rumors clearly suggest so - but, they could be wrong.
    Last edited by LCGuy; 10/21/2010 at 11:25 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

It's clear that HP's strategy in acquiring webOS is to defend their position in mobile computing (i.e. laptops, tablets, and netbooks) from the likes of the iPad and Android devices. They correctly surmised that sales PC-based devices will be significantly impacted by lighter-weight computing devices. They have chosen to go the less-commoditized route by using a proprietary OS that can be customized and integrated among other devices. That's what they talk about all the time.

However, this doesn't mean that HP is diving into the super-smartphone technology race. I don't see them spending hundreds of millions in R&D and marketing to try to sell a few million phones into a hypercompetitive smartphone market.

Accordingly, their first move as Palm's owner is to do a soft launch of an evolutionary upgrade to the Pre. It's so soft that it doesn't even have a launch date in the US and will appear somewhere else, first, and come to a US carrier, but not the main one, "in coming months". Pretty damn soft. It's like someone at Palm said "What about the Pre 2? We were going to launch it in the Summer" and HP said "Find a carrier that will launch it. It doesn't matter where."
    I agree with you because i'm not sure how committed HP is. But i don't agree with it. If that makes any sense. LOL

I see smartphones as nothing more than mini tablets (or vice versa..tablets as bigger smartphones). HP will HAVE to spend the money on R&D if they any kind of shot in either. It's part of CHOOSING to start up your own ecosystem, your own OS, etc.

They didn't have to do that. They could've chosen to remain an OEM for MS or Google.

But they did choose webOS. They claimed to be doubling down and integrating webOS across their line.

To work, HP has to bring an ecosystem to life that involves more than just printers (lol) or an app store. What benefit do i get if i buy an HP computer and webOS device (webos embedded on a HP multitouch PC would work)? HP better think of benefits. Buying an HP computer should be incentive to purchase an HP phone or tablet. And vice versa.

Where do i get media? HP better come up with a plan. HP should know better than not to have netflix, twitter, facebook, amazon (ondemand & kindle), etc in the mix. These should be a part of webOS.

I'm just not sure HP is capable of making it happen or has the leadership.
    Accordingly, their first move as Palm's owner is to do a soft launch of an evolutionary upgrade to the Pre. It's so soft that it doesn't even have a launch date in the US and will appear somewhere else, first, and come to a US carrier, but not the main one, "in coming months". Pretty damn soft. It's like someone at Palm said "What about the Pre 2? We were going to launch it in the Summer" and HP said "Find a carrier that will launch it. It doesn't matter where."
    But not the main one? For not caring which carrier would launch it, they certainly could have done worse than the #1 carrier with the biggest network and most number of subscribers.

But I agree that it is a soft launch. This is not a big push, despite the splash in the tech media.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  16.    #16  
    Whats wrong with an evolutionary step -- in the right direction? Sure, the Pre 2 is no super phone -- but it's also no BlackBerry Torch (which has a 700mhz processor). The Pre 2 can do very well against the BB Torch. And Verizon is larger and has more money then Sprint. This is a good move. AND Sprint was apparently the one who turned the Pre 2 down, so how is that HP's fault? I respect the fact you don't think HPalm will make a superphone. I really, really do. I just don't get what your getting at saying HP isn't taking the Pre 2 seriously. How can you call this a soft launch when neither Verizon nor HP has had time to fully advertise the device. This is the device launching HP WebOS 2.0. I doubt they won't try to market it. Also remember, the iPhone to iPhone 3G to iPhone 3GS -- all of these were evolutionary steps instead of revolutionizing the original product. Even Apple admit thats.

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I agree with you because i'm not sure how committed HP is. But i don't agree with it. If that makes any sense. LOL

I see smartphones as nothing more than mini tablets (or vice versa..tablets as bigger smartphones). HP will HAVE to spend the money on R&D if they any kind of shot in either. It's part of CHOOSING to start up your own ecosystem, your own OS, etc.

They didn't have to do that. They could've chosen to remain an OEM for MS or Google.

But they did choose webOS. They claimed to be doubling down and integrating webOS across their line.

To work, HP has to bring an ecosystem to life that involves more than just printers (lol) or an app store. What benefit do i get if i buy an HP computer and webOS device (webos embedded on a HP multitouch PC would work)? HP better think of benefits. Buying an HP computer should be incentive to purchase an HP phone or tablet. And vice versa.

Where do i get media? HP better come up with a plan. HP should know better than not to have netflix, twitter, facebook, amazon (ondemand & kindle), etc in the mix. These should be a part of webOS.

I'm just not sure HP is capable of making it happen or has the leadership.
    I am a little confused, myself, why they haven't integrated Snapfish into WebOS 2.0. Maybe they will release and application for it. But I do agree netflix should be built into WebOS 2.0. It shouldn't, however, be on the Pre 2. The screen wouldn't really be big enough to fully enjoy. Again, creating a superphone with a 3.5 or 4 inch phone would actually be good enough to watch movies and tv on.

But I agree it's all in what HP wants to do with Palm. If they don't want to fund them, then they wont. But why would you bring Nokia and Samsung execs to Palm if you didn't plan on taking the smart phone business seriously? That had to cost some dough. Nokia is one of the worlds leaders when it comes to smart phones (not here in the US, however) and Samsung? They make very good phones (I have owned two Samsung devices and loved them both). They also make very good keyboards, which is a place where Palm could improve on.

So we shall see at CES if Palm will make a super phone or just a phone. I am not asking for two processors or anything like that. I really just want it to be 4G, at least 1GHZ processor and a sliding keyboard (vertical would be best I think) and a larger screen. 512MB ram would be enough, but more would be better.
    Hi all,

I have a slightly different take on this....

Perhaps the Pre 2 will be a mid line phone
    . After all, not everyone wants or needs the most advanced phone. Many people want a phone that is more advanced than a cell, but not a phone that is so technically advanced that it might intimidate people.

In that case, what happens if the unveil an advanced designed phone that will be their high end phone? Something that Palm wouldn't have been able to design let alone build for lack of funds. Now Palm has access to funding that Palm could never have dreamed of, even when Palm was king of smartphone.

I think they will unveil several slate type units at CES, (several sizes of a webOS 2.0 slates). I also think they will unveil a top of the line phone that comes with and without a keyboard, but are the same "under the hood" so to speak.

Therefore, I am going to keep my trust Centro until we see what CES will bring us. Thank goodness my contract for my Centro ended this week with V, after 2 long years, (I missed out of the Pre altogether)! If not I will go with the Pre 2!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

I have a slightly different take on this....

Perhaps the Pre 2 will be a mid line phone
    . After all, not everyone wants or needs the most advanced phone. Many people want a phone that is more advanced than a cell, but not a phone that is so technically advanced that it might intimidate people.

In that case, what happens if the unveil an advanced designed phone that will be their high end phone? Something that Palm wouldn't have been able to design let alone build for lack of funds. Now Palm has access to funding that Palm could never have dreamed of, even when Palm was king of smartphone.

I think they will unveil several slate type units at CES, (several sizes of a webOS 2.0 slates). I also think they will unveil a top of the line phone that comes with and without a keyboard, but are the same "under the hood" so to speak.

Therefore, I am going to keep my trust Centro until we see what CES will bring us. Thank goodness my contract for my Centro ended this week with V, after 2 long years, (I missed out of the Pre altogether)! If not I will go with the Pre 2!

Take care,

Jay
    Yes I missed out on the Pre as well my friend! However, the wait will be worth it, especially if they do release a high end phone next year. Whatever the case will be, next year in May I will have a new WebOS phone for Sprint -- being optimistic in thinking Sprint will get one by then, of course!
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Plam super phone are really good phone..I like these phones....
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Hmmmm remember how palm worked behind the scenes with ea glu mobile and others to surprise us with 3d games, well maybe they are testing out the retina display pdk now? I've seen other hd games show up recently
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast