Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    i think the real thing here is HP didnt buy Palm for 1.2 BILLION with a B to JUST buy the os, they obviously bought it cuz it was a good investment and they have a stellar R&D team that is probably balls to the walls right now finishing up the next few devices to be launched so they can start makin that chedder they dished out for Palm...
    to me I do believe they are going to head into the smartphone market head on. HP knows that purchasing palm was to get into the game, so why the hell does anyone keep thinking that they are not. Even right now when you surf the web, they market the hell out of the palm pre, Ive seen that commercial a hundred times, especially during NBA games, which cost a bit of money to take a slot to do so. They have confermed 5 smartphones, not devices but smartphones through Foxconn in 2011, and of course they wont be more refreshed devices like the pre 2. We know or should know by now that the pre2 was, not only just a refresh a device they already had on hand, but also it was to market something with 2.0 for the holiday season, and this was what they had ready. I also think this is the reason they are pushing this phone to only a select few companys, and don;t think like in terms of Sprint they are leaving people out due to any other reason. HP knows where the market is heading into, they state this a dozen times through connected devices, the reason they aquired Palm and Webos. So that means smartphones and tablets, and to compete wether they like it or not, they have to produce phones with specs comparable to the market. They have money to do so, and yes they will be investing alot of money in their R&D to do so. The times of just printers are over, HP is smart and knows webos didnt succeed at first because they didnt have the capital too. Even Todd Bradley states they will be putting their hand in the smartphone market, and other execs state wait until the people look at the smartphones they have they will be impressed. So again take note they will be making alot of noise come early 2011, when they introduce the palm pad and the SUPER SMARTPHONES, if you think different then do so.
    honestly i don't see the next webos device being a "super phone". i think it will have some better specs but there is no reason to believe palm will change anything that drastic. i have a feeling many of us will be disappointed. i do know the pre2 is a step in the right direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    honestly i don't see the next webos device being a "super phone". i think it will have some better specs but there is no reason to believe palm will change anything that drastic. i have a feeling many of us will be disappointed. i do know the pre2 is a step in the right direction.
    i dont understand y u DONT think we'll see an AMAZING HPalm smartphone in the next at MOST, 6 months, because i think of it in equation form...

AMAZING software + financial backing from worlds leading PC company + R&D from 2 amazing companies = the ability to pump out first class hardware within the next 2 months

however i absolutely respect ur belief in this matter and maybe im wrong, and maybe they wont release a "superphone" and maybe they'll just release several 1.2mhz dual core phones, but in my book if they lined up proper parts with that or even a 1mhz single or dual core(hardware to contend with other hardware, front facing cam, etc), that would work for me, and then upgrade in another year when i have the ability to. theres no such thing in reality as a superphone, cuz there will ALWAYS be the next great thing...
    The C40 was definitely the Pre 2. HP insiders have said that they came out with the Pre 2 because Palm had already been working on it. Which of course means that it really IS a good thing HP bought them. Because the Pre 2 was NOT going to save Palm/WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    to me I do believe they are going to head into the smartphone market head on. HP knows that purchasing palm was to get into the game, so why the hell does anyone keep thinking that they are not. Even right now when you surf the web, they market the hell out of the palm pre, Ive seen that commercial a hundred times, especially during NBA games, which cost a bit of money to take a slot to do so. They have confermed 5 smartphones, not devices but smartphones through Foxconn in 2011, and of course they wont be more refreshed devices like the pre 2. We know or should know by now that the pre2 was, not only just a refresh a device they already had on hand, but also it was to market something with 2.0 for the holiday season, and this was what they had ready. I also think this is the reason they are pushing this phone to only a select few companys, and don;t think like in terms of Sprint they are leaving people out due to any other reason. HP knows where the market is heading into, they state this a dozen times through connected devices, the reason they aquired Palm and Webos. So that means smartphones and tablets, and to compete wether they like it or not, they have to produce phones with specs comparable to the market. They have money to do so, and yes they will be investing alot of money in their R&D to do so. The times of just printers are over, HP is smart and knows webos didnt succeed at first because they didnt have the capital too. Even Todd Bradley states they will be putting their hand in the smartphone market, and other execs state wait until the people look at the smartphones they have they will be impressed. So again take note they will be making alot of noise come early 2011, when they introduce the palm pad and the SUPER SMARTPHONES, if you think different then do so.
    That's not what the Foxconn/Compal rumor says at all. It says 5-6 DEVICES and that INCLUDES the PalmPad. It is absolutely plausible that there could be 2 or even 3 tablets like Dell's 5-inch, 7-inch, and 10-inch tablets. 1-2 could also be Netbooks, which Foxconn makes as well.

We could very well be looking at a Palm Pre 2, Pixi 2, and one other "higher end" device to arrive somewhere down the line...and that's it.

As for Rahul Sood's "When the hardware arrives, everyone will want in" Twittering, of course he will say that. He also routinely praises the competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    That's not what the Foxconn/Compal rumor says at all. It says 5-6 DEVICES and that INCLUDES the PalmPad. It is absolutely plausible that there could be 2 or even 3 tablets like Dell's 5-inch, 7-inch, and 10-inch tablets. 1-2 could also be Netbooks, which Foxconn makes as well.

We could very well be looking at a Palm Pre 2, Pixi 2, and one other "higher end" device to arrive somewhere down the line...and that's it.

As for Rahul Sood's "When the hardware arrives, everyone will want in" Twittering, of course he will say that. He also routinely praises the competition.
    I beg a differ as stated smartphones:

Foxconn Technology and Compal Communications have won orders to supply manufacturing services for the new Palm mobile phones. Industry sources told CENS that Foxconn will supply four to five new Palm smartphones for sale in 2011, and Commpal Communications will deliver one new model. All the phones will run webOS. Foxconn also is believed to be a supplier of the upcoming PalmPad, a tablet device launching in 2011.

Foxconn, Compal named Palm suppliers - report - Telecompaper

Though as I stated its a no brainer at this point for HP, if they want to continue to profit as a company in this field. Going forward, they know connected devices means smartphones included too, and to sell a smartphone nowadays they cant come out with a Ipaq model and hope to sell it. I'm pretty sure they know they need sufficent hardware with eye candy to compete with the masses, to me hence aquirring Foxconn, and asking for a bundle of smartphones along side their tablet.
    I beg a differ as stated smartphones:

Foxconn Technology and Compal Communications have won orders to supply manufacturing services for the new Palm mobile phones. Industry sources told CENS that Foxconn will supply four to five new Palm smartphones for sale in 2011, and Commpal Communications will deliver one new model. All the phones will run webOS. Foxconn also is believed to be a supplier of the upcoming PalmPad, a tablet device launching in 2011.

Foxconn, Compal named Palm suppliers - report - Telecompaper
    First, it's a widely reported rumor. Second, both Engadget and PreCentral interpreted this as devices, as rightly they should. Third, even if it were all phones, there is no indication or even likelihood that they would each be a distinct form factor and model in their lineup. It's much more likely that they'd be CDMA and GSM flavors of 1-2 devices.

Though as I stated its a no brainer at this point for HP, if they want to continue to profit as a company in this field. Going forward, they know connected devices means smartphones included too, and to sell a smartphone nowadays they cant come out with a Ipaq model and hope to sell it. I'm pretty sure they know they need sufficent hardware with eye candy to compete with the masses, to me hence aquirring Foxconn, and asking for a bundle of smartphones along side their tablet.
    Since they have yet to state that an expanded family of smartPHONES is on the way, while they have repeatedly stated that an expanded family of devices is on the way, I find little reason to believe that we'll see much different at CES.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    First, it's a widely reported rumor. Second, both Engadget and PreCentral interpreted this as devices, as rightly they should. Third, even if it were all phones, there is no indication or even likelihood that they would each be a distinct form factor and model in their lineup. It's much more likely that they'd be CDMA and GSM flavors of 1-2 devices.

Since they have yet to state that an expanded family of smartPHONES is on the way, while they have repeatedly stated that an expanded family of devices is on the way, I find little reason to believe that we'll see much different at CES.

True rumor at this point, but its a confermed rumor ala Iphone for Verizon at this point. Though you cant argue a point with a link to verify only to pull back and state its only a rumor at this point? Though a HP exect did state smartphones (plural) early 2011 http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-...Report-403511/. Also I never pointed out they may only be 1 or 2 different devices, running GSM and CDMA type networks you may be right. Also at this point correct I don't expect to see alot of devices at CES either I'm not sure I stated CES just first half of 2011, I really don't expect to see much at CES in paticular maybe the tablet, and 1 smartphone IMO. Though we don't know what they are really doing, since as you can see their statments are odd, like stating smartphones first half of 2011, then a Pre 2 shows up with a last minute annoucement.
    I think we see, at most, 2 more form factors, and possibly only one.

If you have a Pre2, Pixi2, a high end slab and a landscape slider, you'd have all the popular form factor bases covered.
    Its definitely silly to think that HP Palm will NOT bring their best when it comes to the next webOS smartphone. It doesnt have to be BETTER than what we see out there now (1Ghz, 512MB Ram, 16+GB storage, etc), just on par with the rest. webOS will do the rest.

But let me throw this out there...what if 4 of those 5-6 devices were the same, but with different radios? A European GSM, two CDMA versions for the US, and a GSM version for the US. ANd then the other device can be the Palm Pad.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Its definitely silly to think that HP Palm will NOT bring their best when it comes to the next webOS smartphone. It doesnt have to be BETTER than what we see out there now (1Ghz, 512MB Ram, 16+GB storage, etc), just on par with the rest. webOS will do the rest.

But let me throw this out there...what if 4 of those 5-6 devices were the same, but with different radios? A European GSM, two CDMA versions for the US, and a GSM version for the US. ANd then the other device can be the Palm Pad.
    maybe but as I quote, "t Foxconn will supply four to five new Palm smartphones for sale in 2011." I don't think they would state 4 to 5 NEW smartphones when saying so. Implying that they will be different. Also they say for sale in 2011, which means most likely not all at once, but spread out.
    maybe but as I quote, "t Foxconn will supply four to five new Palm smartphones for sale in 2011." I don't think they would state 4 to 5 NEW smartphones when saying so. Implying that they will be different. Also they say for sale in 2011, which means most likely not all at once, but spread out.
    On different carriers, it makes sense to spread out the launches even of the same device in different forms. Or they could be barely modified variants like the Galaxy S devices.

Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50
    What if the Palm Pre 2 is their best phone?
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post

I would say its possible. But with different names and form factors. Like the Samsung galaxy pro series.
    Well, I for one hope there is a Superphone coming from HPalm. I jumped ship for the Evo a couple of weeks ago because of Pre problems. A lot of pretty nice features on the Evo that I won't get into, but the UI is kinda sucky. WebOs kicks *** and is so easy to use, I got spoiled.
    Hardware needs to be at least as solid as Evo also....some news regarding the Evo that you guys might or might not know about; the battery life is worse on the Evo than the Pre and the WiFi reception Sux. A known fact over at Android Central.
    Quote Originally Posted by callderek View Post
    Hardware needs to be at least as solid as Evo also....some news regarding the Evo that you guys might or might not know about; the battery life is worse on the Evo than the Pre and the WiFi reception Sux. A known fact over at Android Central.
    Thats not the feeling i get from my cousins who own Evo's. One switched to it from a pre. They love it. Although the one who switched from a pre is intrigued by webos 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by gmleonar View Post
    i think the real thing here is HP didnt buy Palm for 1.2 BILLION with a B to JUST buy the os, they obviously bought it cuz it was a good investment and they have a stellar R&D team that is probably balls to the walls right now finishing up the next few devices to be launched so they can start makin that chedder they dished out for Palm...
    Hasn't Palm's stellar R&D team left the company at this point
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    I spoke with a Sprint Rep today. I asked him if Sprint is going to get the Palm Pre2. He said they were not but something else IS definitely coming. He sounded very knowledgable about the Pre and I hope he is right. He didn't sound like he was blowing smoke up my **** either. I will definitely wait until that happens
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    This gonna be interesting...but guys, there are two major event in the early 2011...

1)CES 2011(January)
    2)Mobile World Congress, Barcelona(February) Mobile World Congress | Global Conference Expo for Mobile Technology and Business
    I think the superphone most likely will be revealed in mobile world congress.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast