Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    today I came to the conclusion I don't really love palm I love webos. Palms hardware by now we all know is not great. My pre plus is so cracked on the sides I have to have a case on the thing. But am I running out to buy the pre 2 when it comes out...nope, I can do almost everything it can already with overclocking. But it's the software that I love. I was concerned about hp buying palm but now I'm stoked. I think the pre 2 is going to be it with the pre style and we are going to get better hardware. (touch screens, hardware styles similar to the some of the new android phones coming out,etc.) so the pre 2 stuff isn't making me angry it just is making me excited because I feel like hp has some great things for webos. So drop the palm name etc, I don't care. Just keep web os and homebrew going hp and bring some hardware and I'm good. Just my thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by ddonahueiup View Post
    today I came to the conclusion I don't really love palm I love webos. Palms hardware by now we all know is not great. My pre plus is so cracked on the sides I have to have a case on the thing. But am I running out to buy the pre 2 when it comes out...nope, I can do almost everything it can already with overclocking. But it's the software that I love. I was concerned about hp buying palm but now I'm stoked. I think the pre 2 is going to be it with the pre style and we are going to get better hardware. (touch screens, hardware styles similar to the some of the new android phones coming out,etc.) so the pre 2 stuff isn't making me angry it just is making me excited because I feel like hp has some great things for webos. So drop the palm name etc, I don't care. Just keep web os and homebrew going hp and bring some hardware and I'm good. Just my thoughts.
    I concur with you.
    it's a bit of both, because the quirky character of palm that produced a plastic riverstone is also what created amazing things like webOS.

and palm has produced some killer hardware in the past.

I just think they just got lost in 'zen' and trying to be pretty and different without tying those characteristics to actual functions. And they clearly didn't do any drop testing on the design for a curved plastic screen.

without that quirky thinking, webos would not have made it out of the skunk works to become the thing of beauty that it is.
    it was palm,
    now it's webOS.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I agree. I had two version of the Palm Treo years ago. However, when the OS wasn't getting upgraded I decided it was time to move on and went through several Windows Mobile iterations (Tilt, Epix). Then along came WebOS. I canceled my account with AT&T, paid the ETF & moved to Sprint.

WebOS is a fantastic OS. It will be a shame if it does not survive and thrive on a smartphone.
    Sprint Palm Pre 1.4.5 @ 1G
    I love both. The Treo's at the time were great phones hardware wise. I went from the Treo 600 to the 755p and those things were tanks. They survived everything. Yea, maybe the Pre coulda been built a little better, but i still love it. And of course, webOS, even with all its flaws, is the best OS (for me anyway). I built a relationship with Palm. No relationship is ever perfect, but you still love your partner reguardless (if its a good relationship)

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie
    me thinks it's the OS.
    ME says BOTH
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I don't think you can love webOS w/out loving Palm. Ya, the hardware tanked, but I feel they concentrated so much more on the OS instead -which is good, IMO. I still love Palm -I love their fight & ingenuity. I absolutely LOVE webOS!!

Either way, it doesn't matter to me -I'm glad they have HP to back it up & throw some REAL money & force behind them!!
    I couldn't care less about who puts webOS out (HP or Palm), just keep the innovation coming for the OS and build better hardware - and keep things open for the homebrew community. With those 3 things, you can name it crap and people will buy it.
  11.    #11  
    good points, I am a verizon guy and my first smartphone was the pre plus so I never used the treo. I agree without palm we never would have received web os but now I think web os has become bigger than it's creator palm.
    Hmmmmmmm I love the look of my Palm and I haven't had any hardware issues with either phone. I love OS but then again it's really the only thing I've had that is a SmartPhone. I could love android if I had them first I supposed if I didn't know what OS did. I guess what I'm trying to say is since I've only every know Palm smart phone and OS smart phone - I love them both.
    webOS is the main thing driving my love for my Pre now. The form factor is a close second. Palm, well, what of Palm am I supposed to love? The fact that they got this phone out and in my hands? OK, I can love that.
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

<<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    OS n the fon's form factor, the screen's jus nice for me, the size, but I hv to admit it feels abit like iOS IMO. Albeit an inferior one. Anothe thing I dun like abt pre is the jelly like keypad n does anyone feel awkward when typing lying down? I'm cutting my last finger as we speak..
    having never owned anything Palm, prior to the Pre, I'm not sure I am a Palm loyalist. I certainly like my phone, but the longer I have it and the more I learn about it, I'm leaning on the OS side. In my history of cell phones, I don't think I've ever been brand loyal so much as whether it was a good deal, had the features I wanted etc. UI is now a more prominent feature, as previous cell phones I had weren't of the smartphone variety, and having gone through good times, bad times with webOS, I'm pretty sure this will be what I stick with to the bitter end or eternity, whichever the case may be. I like how the phone handles UI-wise and don't want to learn a whole new UI all over again.

as to the above poster, I'm actually quite used to the keyboard, I've tried the virtual one and it just doesn't do it for me. The one thing I'm not a huge fan of is the ridiculous way the phone thinks it should spell words. I know when I first activated my phone I picked English but for some reason surprize , philtre (just 2 examples I can think of) are not spelt like that in English, but my phone seems to think so.
    I hope that HP put up a grand show at CES and release atleast 3 different size Mobile and 2 different size tablets.
    That would be pure awesome.
    I am eagerly waiting for CES.
    I love palm for making the webos. :-D
    In my case, it was Palm. I came to WebOS because of the Pixi. In my opinion, the design of the Pixi is as close to perfection as anyone can get. The way the battery cover acts as a case so that you don't need a separate case; the inductive Touchstone charging; the excellent keyboard; the overall size and shape... I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but in my opinion, I don't think the design can be improved upon and I'm really happy I got it before HP possibly discontinues it. Of course now I am in love with WebOS, but that came after. I only hope HP doesn't turn WebOS devices into godawful iPAQs. Those have got to be some of the worst-designed phones ever.
    it's the UI of webOS that does it for me...and homebrew.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast